Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/30/2016 5:17:10 PM EDT
Just got back from Ronda (pic below, must see place if you ever viist Spain). Its a 3 hour trip back and forth, and I thought I'd check how the car did in terms of milage. Out of my Honda CR-V 2.2 CTDI I got 44MPG!! And this was in a pretty bad mountain road. The road iself was in great shape, but requires constant turns and hitting the breaks often as you go up the mountains. I wonder how it would do on a longer trip in more even terrain. In the city I get about 29-30mpg which isnt of course nearly as good.
Anyway, I just keep getting amazed by how great milage you can get out of one of these small diesel engines. This alone does it for me for a BOV, where range is key. Combined with excellent torque and reliability and its clearly a great choice, especially around here where these vehicles are just as common as gas ones and every single gas station has diesel along with gasoline. I can keep a couple cans of diesel in the trunk and not worry about gas leaks, vapors, or fire or explosions during car crashes.Again, if you can get hold of one of these and you have stations that sell diesel nearby give it a try.

FerFAL
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 12:20:32 AM EDT
[#1]
That is nothing. I am on the verge of attaining 12mpg with my Excursion! Gauge is at 11.9 average now. I'm hoping after I swap the O2 sensors with new that I an pickup that extra digit

ETA: Your pic is dead..

Link Posted: 5/1/2016 6:28:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That is nothing. I am on the verge of attaining 12mpg with my Excursion! Gauge is at 11.9 average now. I'm hoping after I swap the O2 sensors with new that I an pickup that extra digit

View Quote

Tried uploading them again, how are they now?
Man, that's pretty tough mpg. How many miles can you cover on a full tank?
FerFAL
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 7:36:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Oh how I loath the EPA.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 9:58:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Oh how I loath the EPA.
View Quote

FEPA
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 11:21:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Small diesels just don't hit the market here like they should.

A simplified version would be nice. There's no way you can do a field repair with the modern stuff though, something breaks it's over.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 11:56:51 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

FerFAL

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

FerFAL

A little over 400 miles to a tank.

The mileage doesn't bother me. I needed something that could haul. It is a 3/4 ton pickup chassis: the largest SUV ever built my man . It has a 6.8 liter V-10 engine and 4.30 axles. It is rated to haul 11,000 pounds.

I put a total of about 5000 miles a year on the road. Total. All vehicles combined. Fuel mileage doesn't concern me much.

Pics looking good now.

Link Posted: 5/1/2016 12:31:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The mileage doesn't bother me. I needed something that could haul. It is a 3/4 ton pickup chassis: the largest SUV ever built my man . It has a 6.8 liter V-10 engine and 4.30 axles. It is rated to haul 11,000 pounds.

I put a total of about 5000 miles a year on the road. Total. All vehicles combined. Fuel mileage doesn't concern me much.

Pics looking good now.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FerFAL

Pics looking good now.

Mileage isn't a factor here either, pulling a forklift/trailer today and might get 10 MPG

Link Posted: 5/1/2016 12:51:13 PM EDT
[#8]
We spent two weeks in Portugal a year and a half ago visiting friends. They had a Dodge Journey with a small diesel motor. We ran the whole trip on one tank of fuel, only filling up on the way back into Lisbon on our 12th day. We own a Touareg TDI and although we're happy with the 25 mpg it consistently gets, I'd buy a smaller diesel SUV if one were available too.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 3:35:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Just bought a 2013 Tundra with 4.6 4x4.
I'm getting if lucky 16mpg
Xterra gets 12 for me around town but 19hwy and is great off road.

Was looking at a half tone diesel but what they want for them is nuts.

Tundra had 11,500 miles on it under 25k so I jumped to get but the gas tank is like 21 gallons

In Iraq i drove a Toyota land cruiser diesel that got close to 38mpg loved driving it
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 5:32:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Are you sure that's "US" gallons? Common error for people comparing europe vs USA milage.

The gallon is a measure of liquid capacity in both the US customary units and the British imperial systems of measurement. Three significantly different sizes are in current use: the imperial gallon defined as 4.54609 litres, which is used in the United Kingdom, Canada, and some Caribbean nations; the US gallon defined as 231 cubic inches (3.785 l), which is used in the US and some Latin American and Caribbean countries; and the least-used US dry gallon defined as 1/8 US bushel (4.405 l).
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 6:37:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Pics looking good now.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Pics looking good now.

6.8 liter V-10, thats a beast. If you need the tow capacity then its the right tool for ther right job. Big diesels are well suited for that kind of work. With the diesel versions youd get  525 lb·ft (712 N·m) for the 7.3 L Powerstroke V8 turbodiesel and 560 lb·ft (759 N·m) on the 6.0 L PowerStroke V8 turbodiesel. Then again availability of diesel may be an issue.
Quoted:
Just bought a 2013 Tundra with 4.6 4x4.
I'm getting if lucky 16mpg
Xterra gets 12 for me around town but 19hwy and is great off road.

Was looking at a half tone diesel but what they want for them is nuts.

Tundra had 11,500 miles on it under 25k so I jumped to get but the gas tank is like 21 gallons

In Iraq i drove a Toyota land cruiser diesel that got close to 38mpg loved driving it

Now thats a car I'd love to have. An old Nissan Patrol or better yet a Land Cruiser. The Hilux is also legendary. Patrols are cheap and all over the place here.
Quoted:
Are you sure that's "US" gallons? Common error for people comparing europe vs USA milage.

The gallon is a measure of liquid capacity in both the US customary units and the British imperial systems of measurement. Three significantly different sizes are in current use: the imperial gallon defined as 4.54609 litres, which is used in the United Kingdom, Canada, and some Caribbean nations; the US gallon defined as 231 cubic inches (3.785 l), which is used in the US and some Latin American and Caribbean countries; and the least-used US dry gallon defined as 1/8 US bushel (4.405 l).

Yes, US MPG. As I was saying in the town I'm getting about 28.6 MPG (US), which is about 8.2l/100km. On the highway millage improves significantly.
FerFAL
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 7:44:07 PM EDT
[#12]
The best I have ever seen in my US gasoline burning version of a 2013 CRV is 37 mpg on the highway...  I used every trick I could think of - no A/C, economy setting "on", using almost no brakes, drafting when possible, etc...  The best I have seen without any special behavioural modifications is about 32 mpg.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 11:22:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Didn't want the diesel. The 7.3 wasn't designed for uls diesel and biofuel. They have lots of issues when they don't run all the time. Also was the price. Easily you will pay $5k more for the diesel option with double the miles as well. I only paid $5500 for the excursion with 135000 miles. Comparable mileage diesels bring minimum of $12k, but $15k was more average for that low of miles. They do have pulling power though.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 10:30:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The best I have ever seen in my US gasoline burning version of a 2013 CRV is 37 mpg on the highway...  I used every trick I could think of - no A/C, economy setting "on", using almost no brakes, drafting when possible, etc...  The best I have seen without any special behavioural modifications is about 32 mpg.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Thats amazing for a gasoline engine. Reminds me that I had AC on during the entire trip, and as I said before, constant turns and touching the breaks given that the road went along the mountain.
Quoted:
Didn't want the diesel. The 7.3 wasn't designed for uls diesel and biofuel. They have lots of issues when they don't run all the time. Also was the price. Easily you will pay $5k more for the diesel option with double the miles as well. I only paid $5500 for the excursion with 135000 miles. Comparable mileage diesels bring minimum of $12k, but $15k was more average for that low of miles. They do have pulling power though.

If youre not driving it much anyway as you say and for that price difference, then I see what you mean. Besides, it seems diesel isnt that much cheaper than gasoline over there. Here its usually around 10% cheaper than gas. The difference in price in vehicles isnt as high either, especially in used ones. There's just too many of them around for anyone to try to charge too much for them.
FerFAL
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 10:51:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Great mileage!!! Your picture are assume!!!
Thanks!

PITA45
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 7:51:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Thats amazing for a gasoline engine. Reminds me that I had AC on during the entire trip, and as I said before, constant turns and touching the breaks given that the road went along the mountain.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Forgot to mention - that was on FLAT earth (south Florida has no hills to speak of) and straight roads (highways like I-95 and the Florida Turnpike)...  
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 4:44:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Forgot to mention - that was on FLAT earth (south Florida has no hills to speak of) and straight roads (highways like I-95 and the Florida Turnpike)...  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, its still great milage. The gasoline CR-V are fantasic little SUVs. I loved mine back in Ireland. Those engine dont make a sound, they run forever and as you point out they can be pretty efficient.
FerFAL
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 6:59:44 AM EDT
[#18]
That's all...

VW BlueMotion Passat set a world mileage record in Europe, recognized by the Guinness Book of Records, achieving 1,526.63 miles (2,456.87 km) on a single tank of fuel, which equates to 74.8 miles per US gallon (3.14 L/100 km; 89.8 mpg-imp). This is equivalent to travelling from New York to Los Angeles on two tanks of diesel.] BlueMotion vehicles are not available in North America.

Yet, as I understand it we don't get them because they're not green enough to meet our diesel exhaust emissions standards.

Personally, I want to see a diesel hybrid car. And yea I know SUV vs car, but still 74.8MPG!!!
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 9:12:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Yet, as I understand it we don't get them because they're not green enough to meet our diesel exhaust emissions standards.

Personally, I want to see a diesel hybrid car. And yea I know SUV vs car, but still 74.8MPG!!!
View Quote

I keep reading that but dont understand whats the deal with the EPA. What's their problem with diesels? Over here they have to pass emissions tests as well, which I suppose are pretty tight already. Why is it that the EPA has such a problem with diesels? Id think theres money and gasoline lobby involved but maybe theres something else.
FerFAL
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 11:11:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Drove a tiny VW diesel truck which was a piece of shit, always expensive breakdowns, but it got 50-55 MPG.  Wish VW had designed it better.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 11:25:49 AM EDT
[#21]
If I ever hit it big I will build a diesel BOV as it it seems to be the optimal fuel for long term shtf.
Although a propane setup might work out but have never been a fan.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top