Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/29/2016 6:35:28 PM EDT
I'm looking for a metal container that's lockable if possible to put inside a trunk. My 2008 RAV4 has a "finished" space where most ppls spare tire would be. I was hoping to find a lockable metal container that I could bolt in for a trunk gun and supplies in. The space is roughly 32"w x19"l x8"d. I haven't stumbled across anything on the net yet and was hoping some of you may have some solutions. Thx
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 8:47:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Here is a good start

http://www.tuffyproducts.com/
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 3:03:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Playing with google image search turns up a nice big rectangle.

I would buy a sheet of metal to cover it.  

I would figure out what all is underneath that so you know how you want to add hinges at the back or sides, and it is up to you on how you want to lock it.

Simple as having a hasp and a padlock or set it up with a keyed lock built into it.

To some extent you could hinge the lid in the middle so it folds back as well, maybe you don't need the whole lid to open.

I did not sit and look for rav4 discussions but I expect more than a few folks have had this idea before and might have been silly enough to post it on the net.

If that does not work, I would find a metal box with a lid design you like.  If it is too tall, no worries.  Cut the bottom off the sucker.

As long as you are bolting it down your "lockbox" does not really need its own floor.

Something as simple as a beefed up briefcase might work, I did not really sit down and figure out what size stuff you can actually fit and mess with.

I like some tuffy stuff but you tend to pay for it dearly.

Then again, I could see where it might be worth it to some people.

But I think a big piece of aluminum diamond plate or something similar and hinge it and figure out how you want to make it lock would work.

Put a piece of carpet or floor mat or something over it, or glue it to it even.

Link Posted: 4/30/2016 4:39:48 PM EDT
[#3]
These guys make some nice stuff but are kinda pricy. Quick access safes for home and cars.

http://www.caronproducts.com/98
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 5:42:00 PM EDT
[#4]
I second the tuffy products line...I have one of their security boxes in the back of the hummer.  Fits full sized rifles no problem.  It is chained to the d-rings on the floor of the hummer.  Combo lock means never losing a key.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 6:15:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Where did you relocate the spare tire to?
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 6:47:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

The RAV4 of that year has them attached to the back hatch. It frees up a lot of space under the carpet. It's actually carpeted in that compartment also. No one would know anything is under there the way it is. Jus looking to secure it a little more.

The tuffy products are nice but don't have anything in that specific size. Also I'm looking for a cheaper option too.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 6:54:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The RAV4 of that year has them attached to the back hatch. It frees up a lot of space under the carpet. It's actually carpeted in that compartment also. No one would know anything is under there the way it is. Jus looking to secure it a little more.

The tuffy products are nice but don't have anything in that specific size. Also I'm looking for a cheaper option too.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're probably looking at a custom solution.  Finding someone to weld it up might not be too tough if you can draw up some prints.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top