Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/27/2016 10:16:01 AM EDT
My son is working on a project that compares pre-purchased BOB's vs. Homemade BOB's.

I've been looking but I would like some feedback if anyone has bought one.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 11:43:32 AM EDT
[#1]
I've looked around  a bit, but ended up doing it all from scratch.  Besides that I have a ton of camping/hiking/survival gear as is and cant justify buying all new stuff, store bought ones will always be deficient for individuals.  It's a one-size-fits-all approach to a scenario that is highly variable and highly dependent on the users capabilities.  For example, I'm here in NY.  I need more cold weather stuff or else I'll freeze to death if i gotta bugout any time from September to May.  There's tons of freshwater here, so one or two canteens and a lifestraw is all I need.  Those in Nevada prob need a little more.  I'm very comfortable with primitive camping, so I don't need as much camp gear and tools.  You're way better off building your own and adjusting as needed.

Sorry, didn't really answer the question cause I've never bought a premade one.  Just my $.02 on the matter.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 1:27:49 PM EDT
[#2]
I believe "emergency essentials" sells some prepackaged bags. I have never bought one to give you first hand feedback.

I believe this is a good experiment because once you tally up the cost and weight of a store bought bag vs. what most of us come up with ourselves you would see a huge difference, especially in the contents.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 5:05:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Funny, it was his idea and he is 8.  He said he thought of it because of the recent
floods we had here in Houston.  The boy scout in him is coming out.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 9:16:26 PM EDT
[#4]
I would be interested in the results ,,

I am also am in the Houston area and suspect that I am getting transferred next week ( commute will go from about 10 miles each way to about 50 miles each way )   I am thankful to still have a job but I suspect that my commute time just went from annoying to stupid crazy

I never really worried that much about a get home bag as I usually have enough stuff in my car normally to get the ten miles home ( water bottles etc etc )  but now that I am traveling all the way across Houston to work  its a new ball game
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 10:47:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Funny, it was his idea and he is 8.  He said he thought of it because of the recent
floods we had here in Houston.  The boy scout in him is coming out.
View Quote

Good for him!
We just moved to PA from the Houston area in December and missed this disaster.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 6:31:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Wow, you REALLY just moved huh?  Which area of town are you in?
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 8:56:19 PM EDT
[#7]
I've seen the ones Emergency Essentials had and they're OK. Oddly, there were a couple different ones at REI that looked decent. LA Police gear I think carries a couple as does Cheaper than Dirt. Oddly, one of the decent ones I picked up to keep at work was on clearance at Dillards (?!!). Lots of places now have "emergency" or "3-Day" bags. You can still do better DIY, though, especially since you can tailor the bag to your AO, family situation, age(s), etc.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 9:27:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

We were living in Fort Bend Co., Sienna Plantation right off Hwy 6.

ETA, guess December isn't "just" moved anymore.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 9:50:05 PM EDT
[#9]
How do you like it so far ?

and Sienna had zero issues that I am aware of

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/29/2016 12:46:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

We liked it; especially the easy drive to Surfside. Not in TX anymore. Back in PA. Sorry for the digression OP.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 4:32:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Probably the best pre-made kit:
Doug Ritter Ultimate Aviator Survival Pak™

http://www.dougritter.com/DR-aviator_survival_pak_contents.htm
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 9:43:49 AM EDT
[#12]
The disadvantage with "pre made" anything is that they end up being either prohibitively expensive or functionally deficient. It's understandable, people and businesses aren't expected to work for free, and even if they did work for free, they have overhead costs to cover. Look at first aid kits, for an easy low hanging fruit example. Would it kill them to use high quality flexible fabric bandaids that will actually stick to your skin? They use the cheapest generic plastic, guaranteed to fall off within hours useless pieces of crap. But in order to bring an affordable offering to market, they have to fill it with the lowest cost/quality crap on the market.  On the flip side, if you get a first aid kit filled with high quality stuff, you end up paying hundreds and hundreds of dollars for a lot with components you could buy at Walgreen's for 1/5 the price.

The attraction of the pre made kit is that it takes the work out of it. Someone else with knowledge and experience has put in the time and effort to determine what a person might need. If I was making a first aid kit, I'd probably end up putting bandaids and superglue in it. Someone with more knowledge and experience would have a much more comprehensive packing list, and about the time I was sitting on the ground with a broken collarbone, I'd be tickled pink to discover that there was some rolled up fabric for making an arm sling.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 11:23:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Pretty smart kid at 8
I personally think that any of the pre-made kits are full of too much cheap stuff.
Better than nothing, but I think just about anyone with some forethought and careful planning and purchasing could do better on their own.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 7:12:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Probably the best pre-made kit:
Doug Ritter Ultimate Aviator Survival Pak™

http://www.dougritter.com/graphics/ulimate_laidout_newpack.jpg

http://www.dougritter.com/DR-aviator_survival_pak_contents.htm
View Quote

Slightly out of the price range for a project.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 9:58:20 PM EDT
[#15]
All the ones I've seen have been crap to mostly crap.  Unless you spend ridiculous money.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top