Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/21/2016 3:59:53 PM EDT
Looking for a nice, low power consumption laptop to be able to access USB stored prep, med and SHTF books and related info.

Have small solar setup to recharge batteries and run inverter to power PC.  Have storage on small Patriot 32mb USB and 32mb Sandisk square memory back-ups in EMP proof packaging.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:14:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Im sure this will get some shit.... But

my macbook air goes for just under 10 hours if I have the brightness all the way down and keyboard lights off.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:23:21 PM EDT
[#2]
If you aren't storing everything on clay tablets you will DIE!!!!!!

I use a Panasonic Tough Book!
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:26:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Im sure this will get some shit.... But

my macbook air goes for just under 10 hours if I have the brightness all the way down and keyboard lights off.
View Quote

My 2013 model 13" Macbook Pro still goes for 5-6 hours-ish on a full charge. They make good hardware, don't know why this is still a thing anyway.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:36:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Dell ATG6410 is what I use every day. Powerful enough to do a lot, runs about 6 hours on extended battery (using SSD, which you want).

Not a toughbook, but not stupid expensive and still a good every-day laptop.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 7:12:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Step 1 is commandeer a data center c/w diesel storage and perimeter fence. Hadn't thought about a laptop ;)
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 8:49:58 PM EDT
[#6]
I have an Acer Travelmate that I got as an open box buy. Runs 8 hours doing real work. Best laptop I've ever had in that regard.

It kinda depends on whether you need a real laptop or not. If you're just surfing the web and doing e-mails, a tablet might be better. But then, what would you need either one for in a SHTF scenario (Ham data comm?)
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:39:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

I've seen the ones that field techs use and they have my respect.

Has anyone considered a tablet in an otter box type case?
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 3:52:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Looking for a nice, low power consumption laptop to be able to access USB stored prep, med and SHTF books and related info.

Have small solar setup to recharge batteries and run inverter to power PC.  Have storage on small Patriot 32mb USB and 32mb Sandisk square memory back-ups in EMP proof packaging.
View Quote

I have a toughbook Cf-29. It actualy went to my son as his PC but we later changed it to Thinkpads. Thinkpads are VERY tough, and most important to me they are a good reliable machine that is easy to repair and uprgrade in the rare case it needs so. I have a T420s with a SSD and extra battery and my son has a T420. both are great PC.
If you want it to just read stuff and rarely write with,t hen maybe youre looking for a tablet instead. Some have suggested a kindle, and that sounds great for just reading books if thats what youre looking for. Panasonic also makes Tough tablets which are as solid as their laptops (keeping in mind the obvious weakness of not having the screen covered by a shell though).
Im wiriting right now usign my Thinkpad T420s and I have it docked so as to use the bigger screen and keyboard. If I need to go in a hurry I can just click a button and pull it out of the docking station, charged adn ready to go with all my work already in it. Sure its not Toughbook tough, but its more powerful, reliable, light and sure is tough enough. The ISS still uses Thinkpads, I believe they are old T61 and I think Thinkpads are the only approved laptop to be used in space by NASA (pretty sure I read it but dont quote me on that though). Again, the nice thing is that given that these are stanadard issue for basically most companies around the world they are cheapt o buy adn cheapt o buy parts for, simple to disasemble and put back together.
FerFAL
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 4:36:18 AM EDT
[#9]
The  power grid and net will be gone.......
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 4:43:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

"the net" is not an entity.  It won't ever be "gone".  And "the power grid" isn't necessary.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 6:28:55 AM EDT
[#11]
I sure like those Getac laptops, anyone has experience with those?
FerFAL
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 6:44:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Look for the lowest battery consumption and something that uses a 12v brick so that you can power from numerous sources.  Look at raspberry pi, etc for display purposes.

Going counter to being in the IT field, print manuals out on high grade paper and store in water proof and rodent proof containers locally and the BOL.  Paper doesn't require power and survive EMP, etc.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 7:11:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Find a solution to power what you currently have.

Netbooks, tablets, anything else 12v dc have endless possibilities.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 7:44:29 AM EDT
[#14]
I'd say having a good tablet (long battery life loaded with PDFS whatever) is a starting point. If you have the extra cash pick up either a panasonic or dell toughbook.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:16:58 AM EDT
[#15]
I am going with a couple of tablets (1 is none) and pdfs stored on redundant drives and thumb drives.
I am also trying to organise a printer and paper so that I can print off things to distribute if need be.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 11:55:59 AM EDT
[#16]
I like the panasonic toughbook cf-30 I bought years and years ago.

I am due to replace the batteries it came with and I will probably swap in a solid state drive finally.

Mine is not like the ones on youtube vids where they hose em down and what not.  I don't have the waterproof keyboard and I am not about to hose it down anyway.

I call mine tough enough for clumsy me.  I don't try to knock things off a table, but it happens.

I like how easy it is to swap batteries or hard drives on.

These are available used for pretty cheap since the 31 and maybe even better than that is out now and been out for a bit.

No cooling fan so no power needed for that and no cooling vents.

Toughbooks are never near the top in performance, that creates heat.

They are what they are.

Since I am set up for the cf-30 I will stick with it.  I could see going to a 31 or something but doubt I will ever go to tablets or anything else.

I don't ever see me wandering down the road with only what I can carry.  

Something like a laptop brings a whole lot of other stuff with it.  Battery bank, I still need to buy some solar panels but have a lot of the other stuff needed to hook it all up, and a lot of info stored in various ways.

Even if I did not rent, I would hate to see how much space would be needed if I printed everything out.  Much easier to keep it on cd, dvd, thumb drive, and whatever else I have around here.

I do still have plenty of real books as well.  But the kindle has cut that down some.  Will never be without a few books but I am tired of having a ton, literally, of books to deal with when I move.

I never used tablets growing up.  I kind of like netbooks but never really dealt with them.

I like the toughbook for everyday use, it was my only computer for a few years, and it handles being owned by clumsy me.

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:05:57 PM EDT
[#17]
For the uses you've described, a Kindle will run for weeks on a single charge.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:33:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Laptops in general suck for power consumption.  Get a tablet or better yet a Kindle.  The battery lasts forever bcause its designed to do only one thing.

Anotjer option is an Iphone 6s+ which also has a very long battery life.

Either way a laptop is not a good choice as they are not very efficient at using power.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 11:00:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Laptops in general suck for power consumption.  Get a tablet or better yet a Kindle.  The battery lasts forever bcause its designed to do only one thing.

Anotjer option is an Iphone 6s+ which also has a very long battery life.

Either way a laptop is not a good choice as they are not very efficient at using power.
View Quote

This.  Laptops are generally not as good as tablets for this purpose.  

Ipads can do pretty much everything you want.  Get an Otter Box Case, a foldable solar panel - w/ charger and you will be good to go.  

There are numerous Android tablets that can do the same.

And as mentioned above, the Iphone 6+ or 6s+ have larger screens than the regular iphones and would be much easier to charge due to a smaller battery.  Get a good protective case, maybe even a Life Proof case (my otterbox is not water proof or very water resistant).  The only downside to the iphones for this purpose is that they don't have external memory slots (for SD cards).  I might go with a Galaxy Note if I were going to choose one.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 11:47:54 PM EDT
[#20]
tablet with a SD card slot or OTG capable. OTG will require an adapter but with it you can use any USB storage device. truthfully you wouldnt even need a tablet. a newer smartphone would get the job done just as well, just with a smaller screen.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 11:53:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Large screen smart phone or tablet and a solar charger like this.

Link Posted: 4/23/2016 9:18:00 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

This. You can get good used Toughbook's on Ebay..
I use a i3 CF-52 with Windows 10 for all my reloading, HAM/GMRS Radio and other applications and data.
Use an SSD drive.

I also have a drive loaded with Linux I'm trying out...

Link Posted: 4/23/2016 11:24:19 AM EDT
[#23]
Has anyone worked on some of the tablets and stuff being mentioned?

It seems like more and more smart phones are being made "sealed" so you can't just pop out a drained battery and put in a new one.  And on top of this is when a battery reaches its end of life, I want to be able to buy a new battery and go forward with the item.

I don't stock everything to repair my toughbook, but changing out a hard drive is easy.  Changing out the battery is easy.  DVD drive also pops out as well but since I don't have a battery for that compartment it is not a big deal.

To some extent I guess you just plan to power things off external batteries if you can't replace an internal battery.

Link Posted: 4/23/2016 2:15:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I use a i3 CF-52 with Windows 10 for all my reloading, HAM/GMRS Radio and other applications and data.
Use an SSD drive.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y25/coyotegray/panasonic-toughbook-cf-52-mk1-1_8ghz-windows-7-pro-2gb-80gb-wi-fi-15_4-tft-screen-wifi-bluetooth-5-1400-p_zpsdzfw2h4w.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Use an SSD drive.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y25/coyotegray/panasonic-toughbook-cf-52-mk1-1_8ghz-windows-7-pro-2gb-80gb-wi-fi-15_4-tft-screen-wifi-bluetooth-5-1400-p_zpsdzfw2h4w.jpg

I too have a CF-52, but with a i5 processer and windows 7 (don't have the balls to upgrade to windows 10 yet).  Mine doesn't have the SSD drive, but when I feel the need to upgrade to 1TB, I'll go that route.  These things are tough as nails, and can be had for less than $500 refurbished on ebay.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 10:41:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Most tablets can be charged or powered by 5vdc, as opposed to 115vac. Just something to think about.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 11:15:22 AM EDT
[#26]
About anything you plug in the wall that has a wall wart or a cord wart on the way to the item being charged is getting voltage dropped.

I forget what the toughbook drops down to but I do recall buying something specific for charging it in the vehicle or off a 12 volt battery vs. plugging the common charge cord into an invertor and wasting power that way.

I keep saying toughbook, but basically it will come down to the original poster needing to do a lot of research on things and figure out what options work best for his needs/wants.

And after looking at prices I might just get into the 2 is one concept but I want to learn about the newer toughbooks and figure out what will work best for me.

I do recall when talking to a battery store, that is their business, in a nearby city they said I won the prize for most expensive battery dude had ever looked up in the system when it came to laptops.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 2:13:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
About anything you plug in the wall that has a wall wart or a cord wart on the way to the item being charged is getting voltage dropped.

I forget what the toughbook drops down to but I do recall buying something specific for charging it in the vehicle or off a 12 volt battery vs. plugging the common charge cord into an invertor and wasting power that way.

I keep saying toughbook, but basically it will come down to the original poster needing to do a lot of research on things and figure out what options work best for his needs/wants.

And after looking at prices I might just get into the 2 is one concept but I want to learn about the newer toughbooks and figure out what will work best for me.

I do recall when talking to a battery store, that is their business, in a nearby city they said I won the prize for most expensive battery dude had ever looked up in the system when it came to laptops.
View Quote

You pay big for convenience at battery stores. You can get them much cheaper just about anywhere else... ebay, amazon, etc...
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 4:41:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

It seems like more and more smart phones are being made "sealed" so you can't just pop out a drained battery and put in a new one.  And on top of this is when a battery reaches its end of life, I want to be able to buy a new battery and go forward with the item.

I don't stock everything to repair my toughbook, but changing out a hard drive is easy.  Changing out the battery is easy.  DVD drive also pops out as well but since I don't have a battery for that compartment it is not a big deal.

To some extent I guess you just plan to power things off external batteries if you can't replace an internal battery.

View Quote

you can change out the battery in so called sealed phone, it just takes a little more work than sliding a battery door off the device. the galaxy S5 and Note 4 were the last in the series to offer a user replaceable battery. i would grab one of those without thinking twice about it. BUT you would also want to try and hunt down a factory samsung battery for them just to have in storage. the aftermarket replacement batteries can be hit and miss.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 4:57:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

you can change out the battery in so called sealed phone, it just takes a little more work than sliding a battery door off the device. the galaxy S5 and Note 4 were the last in the series to offer a user replaceable battery. i would grab one of those without thinking twice about it. BUT you would also want to try and hunt down a factory samsung battery for them just to have in storage. the aftermarket replacement batteries can be hit and miss.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What a PITA, such a retarded move by Samsung to get rid of the removable battery AND the SD card memory slot. The two things that made the phone great compared to iphones.
FerFAL
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 5:46:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

What a PITA, such a retarded move by Samsung to get rid of the removable battery AND the SD card memory slot. The two things that made the phone great compared to iphones.
FerFAL
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FerFAL

trust me, i know. the S7 does at least have a MicroSD card slot back. they figured out quickly just how bad they screwed up with removing that in the S6.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 9:14:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

FerFAL
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FerFAL

LOL

99% of phone users never used either option.  Ever.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 10:24:36 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
You pay big for convenience at battery stores. You can get them much cheaper just about anywhere else... ebay, amazon, etc...
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I mostly agree but they were at about the same price as everyone else.

I just had them check because I was having sticker shock after thinking I really wanted a battery to go into the dvd dock.

I put mostly agree because I do tend to be picky on where I get stuff from when I read about so many knockoff panasonic batteries and what not.

Link Posted: 4/25/2016 3:43:56 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

LOL

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FerFAL

LOL

Being able to change out the battery after it starts to die, which they all will do eventually, was why I bought
my Note 4. It was based on experience with my S3. Great phone but the battery eventually went bad. Changing it
was easy. SD card? I have a 200 gb card in my Note 4. I would not own a phone without a removable battery or SD
card.....
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 3:46:22 AM EDT
[#34]
OP look at the Lenovo T460 laptop. Battery life of up to 18 hours.
14 to 15 hours with wifi on surfing the web.

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/t-series/t460/
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 4:29:14 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Being able to change out the battery after it starts to die, which they all will do eventually, was why I bought
my Note 4. It was based on experience with my S3. Great phone but the battery eventually went bad. Changing it
was easy. SD card? I have a 200 gb card in my Note 4. I would not own a phone without a removable battery or SD
card.....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FerFAL

LOL

card.....

You are part of an extraordinarily tiny minority.

Almost no one who uses these devices has ever heard of a removable battery, even if their device has one.  Maybe a small fraction more know what an SD card is, but most of them have never seen one and wouldn't know what to do with it if they did.

The battery in my 5s is about to go bad, it's about 2.5 years old.  I bought the kit to replace it for about 7 bucks from Amazon, and I'll spend a half an hour replacing it later tonight.  No big deal.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 9:08:17 AM EDT
[#36]
What tends to happen in this section of the board is we will have a much higher percentage of people who want certain odd features that most of the public won't care about.

I bought a barely used slightly older model of the dumb smart phone I have now in order to try and have a spare battery, so I could shut the phone off and swap batteries and then turn the phone on and be back to a fully charged battery.

Samsung changed the battery shape just enough I am unwilling to force the spare battery into the phone.

I wound up just going with a tiny little jump pack/recharger thing when one of the amazon deal threads had it for cheap.

But depending on what I was doing, not having something plugged in the phone would be nice.

I had a nice smart phone once, broke it.  So for right now I have a cheap ancient one and while I sometimes consider some of the new smart phones I always wind up moving up in size to bigger and bigger stuff.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 10:26:57 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

LOL

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FerFAL

LOL

Pretty sure youre talking about iphone users. Unless you have something to support your 99% theory, I doubt only 1% of Samsung users replace batteries and use SD cards. My son, my wife and I, we all have done so. In fact I dont know a single person that uses a Samsung that hasnt used the SD slot or changed batteries. I mean, its pretty basic, common sense to want to have more memory in a smartphone, even more so when you can extend it for cheap and eventually change the battery for a new one as well.
FerFAL
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 10:31:33 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Pretty sure youre talking about iphone users. Unless you have something to support your 99% theory, I doubt only 1% of Samsung users replace batteries and use SD cards. My son, my wife and I, we all have done so. In fact I dont know a single person that uses a Samsung that hasnt used the SD slot or changed batteries. I mean, its pretty basic, common sense to want to have more memory in a smartphone, even more so when you can extend it for cheap and eventually change the battery for a new one as well.
FerFAL
View Quote

If those options were so critical, why has every smartphone manufacturer followed Apple's lead and removed them?

Link Posted: 4/25/2016 10:54:25 AM EDT
[#39]
PDFs on a Kindle. Battery life of like a month and can charge it with a solar charger.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 1:09:19 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

card.....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FerFAL

LOL

card.....

I understand your sentiment completely.  I work for a company who has touched probably every phone the readers of this post are using daily.  I can tell you the other poster was right, 99% of people dont care about removeable batteries and SD card slots.  They care about other feature sets.  Also making the battery removeable limits the phones size and ability to pack new hardware in.  Its just something most people could care less about.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 1:12:48 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
OP look at the Lenovo T460 laptop. Battery life of up to 18 hours.
14 to 15 hours with wifi on surfing the web.

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/t-series/t460/
View Quote

The Lenovo Thinkpads have passed the military specification 810G for ruggedized equipment (drop, shock, humidity, altitude, dust, temperature etc).
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 2:09:49 PM EDT
[#42]

Link Posted: 4/26/2016 12:35:46 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

If those options were so critical, why has every smartphone manufacturer followed Apple's lead and removed them?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

FerFAL

If no one was interested in these features why has Samsung reversed direction?
Why are they putting the SD card slot back into the Note 6?

LOL because there was such a backlash about it......
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 12:52:05 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FerFAL

Same reason they have a stylus.  Because they're Samsung -- but wait, they haven't actually said they're putting either feature into the Note 6 (which is really a tablet that makes phone calls, not a phone), because they haven't released specs for it yet.  

Link Posted: 4/26/2016 12:58:54 AM EDT
[#45]
I use my kindle for that and am considering getting a dedicated one for 50 bucks.  So far I have about 8-10 hours of music and God only knows how many books.  Reading the battery will last about 10 hours or more.  I have an aker power supply that is not too big that will recharge it twice.  And a goal zero.

Down side I can't print from it.  Upside it is a lot lighter.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 10:38:29 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Same reason they have a stylus.  Because they're Samsung -- but wait, they haven't actually said they're putting either feature into the Note 6 (which is really a tablet that makes phone calls, not a phone), because they haven't released specs for it yet.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FerFAL

and yet they put the SD card slot back in the S7 series after removing it for only the time the S6 series was out. and yet LG for the G5 is touting the removable battery as one of their highlights and even selling it with a spare and a stand alone charger for the extra battery. oh, and it also has a SD card slot.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 5:42:07 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have an ASUS EEEpc, it's on the small side but it runs on 12V, has 3USB, an SD slot, good speakers, and a monitor interface.

It's been quite a while since they came out, they ought to be dirt cheap used. Plan on replacing the batteries.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 7:57:41 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

Wife has a Lenovo Ideapad 100s, she found an exceptionally good deal at an instore promotion at Best Buy for $119.

More of a netbook really, not hardened against shock or water, very lightweight and portable, 9+ hours on one battery recharge.

Windows 10 Home, 2GB RAM, 32GB eMMC (solid state hard drive), microSD slot, 2 USB 2.0, HDMI port.

With an external hard drive as an archive and an external DVD drive for entertainment or CD-ROM, it could work.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 3:27:43 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

Maybe
Lots of solar and alt power sources out there that could feasibly power small electronics for years after the overall grid goes down
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 11:57:06 PM EDT
[#50]
gotta be a mac, they're the only ones that won't randomly stop working.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top