Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/21/2016 3:00:14 PM EDT
I searched Alone in this forum and didn't see anything. Figured I'd just cross post my thread from GD here. I'm sure some here would enjoy the show.

Ridgerunner's Alone thread
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 3:06:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks, I didn't see your other thread.  I loved season one, seems like you guys have been following season 2 more than I
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 9:24:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I love Alone.  It really is survival, but it's also a game that would require strategy.  

If it was me, I'd take the extra rations or pemmican/ and spend the first 7-10 days eating regularly and busting my ass to build a bombproof bear proof shelter.  The peace of mind a solid shelter would give, would allow me to start from square one on on other food sources after the rations were gone.  It would be a gamble, but that's the strategy I'd go with.  

Be interested in hearing others strategies.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 5:17:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I love Alone.  It really is survival, but it's also a game that would require strategy.  

If it was me, I'd take the extra rations or pemmican/ and spend the first 7-10 days eating regularly and busting my ass to build a bombproof bear proof shelter.  The peace of mind a solid shelter would give, would allow me to start from square one on on other food sources after the rations were gone.  It would be a gamble, but that's the strategy I'd go with.  

View Quote

Just dont forget its a TV show. Just like all the other survival Tv shows. its a 100% fabricated product to keep you hooked for the duration of the episode. There's a production team behind it, people are told what to do, where, etc. Even if its made to look a certain way and produced targeting a less wacky audience, theres more true survival involed in your own ordinary life than in this show.
FerFAL
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 5:28:52 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Just dont forget its a TV show. Just like all the other survival Tv shows. its a 100% fabricated product to keep you hooked for the duration of the episode. There's a production team behind it, people are told what to do, where, etc. Even if its made to look a certain way and produced targeting a less wacky audience, theres more true survival involed in your own ordinary life than in this show.

FerFAL
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

FerFAL

Hey Jim...drink this creek water...it'll make good TV...

Few days later....

Barrrrffffffffffff....gag..squirt...I tap out...no money for me...gag squirt handcuffs.....

Yup just a weight loss clinic for men it seems nothing to see here.....
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 5:31:44 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

View Quote

Shelter and location.

Sam had bad location...it sore him down...Alan..had it all but didn't think of his own "confinement"...

Get that equal and the rest will fall into line. Just don't drink shitty pond water with out boiling....lol
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 6:42:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

FerFAL
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

FerFAL

I would like to see your evidence that they are told what to do.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 9:26:59 AM EDT
[#7]
I knew last week that Mary Kate was going to bail after cutting her thumb. I looked like the area she cut wasn't where the tendon was located. I am not a doctor but referenced my own tendon
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 10:19:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FerFAL

I talked to the producers of the show.
FerFAL
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 11:41:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 1:20:56 PM EDT
[#10]

Hey, you watch it, you have fun, that’s the idea. At the end of the day its about doing a product as cheap as possible (reality tv shows are super cheap for them, it aint Game of Thrones) and get good ratings for a season or two.
The only thing I'll say is get a lawyer before signing any contract with any TV producer.  Dont let the 5 minutes of fame (often its 5 minutes of shame) get the best of you, it can cost you dearly. Some contracts I’ve seen are worse than others, most are bad (for you). One literally gave them the right over any material I created from now on that could in any way be related to my participation in the film. It was that vague. Others aren’t that crazy but in most you’re getting screwed nicely.
I'm not saying always say no, I do listen to what anyone half way serious has to say if they come with a business proposition. Its just that 9 out of 10 times… lets say its’ not in your best interest to go along with it.
FerFAL
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 1:29:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

FerFAL
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

FerFAL

After watching season 1 and 3 episodes in Season 2 I have the disinct impression this is not scripted.  Sure the editing is controlled and we see what the editors want us to see.  But you dont see people cutting arteries, sickness from water, and losing 60 pounds from lack of calories because producers whispered in their ear.  I have actually learned a lot from this show.  Like feather sticks, the blow pipe, fish traps from water bottles and the paiute dead fall.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 3:14:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

After watching season 1 and 3 episodes in Season 2 I have the disinct impression this is not scripted.  Sure the editing is controlled and we see what the editors want us to see.  But you dont see people cutting arteries, sickness from water, and losing 60 pounds from lack of calories because producers whispered in their ear.  I have actually learned a lot from this show.  Like feather sticks, the blow pipe, fish traps from water bottles and the paiute dead fall.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FerFAL

True...editing is where they get you. Look at dooms day preppers...or any other survival themed show. The producers are there to make money on those shows. This show is a contest. And while the contestants may be coached prior to drop off
I seriously doubt Jane the producer is in the back of the shelter telling a Guy to hack his shin open for good TV.
Especially since they are self filming.
In the end its entertainment ... but there can be valuable lessons to be learned if you run your BS filters.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 10:09:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

FerFAL
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FerFAL

FerFAL

I really dig the show.

As for your intel, perhaps someone pretending to be a producer? It would seem blabbing to anyone about the "scripting" of a show like would be seriously detrimental to their financial well being. I highly doubt they would just freely volunteer info like that if it were actually true.

I, like the others don't believe for a second this is scripted. As in, " hey, use this axe to cut just enough into your hand without cutting it off. That way we can send you home without paying you.". I doubt it...
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 2:22:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I really dig the show.

As for your intel, perhaps someone pretending to be a producer? It would seem blabbing to anyone about the "scripting" of a show like would be seriously detrimental to their financial well being. I highly doubt they would just freely volunteer info like that if it were actually true.

I, like the others don't believe for a second this is scripted. As in, " hey, use this axe to cut just enough into your hand without cutting it off. That way we can send you home without paying you.". I doubt it...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FerFAL

FerFAL

I really dig the show.

Well, they didn’t talk with you so they clearly weren’t “blabbing to anyone”. I got contacted by the producers of the show, just like I got called other times for other survival TV shows and other TV and radio programs. I talked with them, heard what they had to say and decided I wasn’t interested, just like I wasn’t interested in Doomsday Preppers and another shows which name I can’t remember right now. I listen to everyone that comes with a serious proposition but in general reality TV shows are not in your best interest. In most cases they exploit people’s desire for their 10 minutes of fame while offering mediocre compensation or shady terms and contracts. That’s been my experience so far.
You can believe whatever you want to believe. Believe in Santa, unicorns, the tooth fairy and that reality TV are honest for all I care. Did you call 911 when you learned “Man vs Wild” was BS? Did Bear Grylls get arrested for it? Let me google that up… nope, still a free man.
Now, if being told that a reality TV show is fictitious affects you so, I’d say you have other things to worry about.
FerFAL

Link Posted: 5/12/2016 3:20:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I really dig the show.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FerFAL

FerFAL

I really dig the show.

Think about this before posting more ....
A Guy who's whole gig revolves around economic /urban survival is posting about wilderness survival shows contacting him..while in the same breath going on about picking the right one so the five minutes of fame doesn't turn into five minutes of shame....

Life is scripted were in one big TV show man....

Link Posted: 5/12/2016 5:47:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Well, they didn’t talk with you so they clearly weren’t “blabbing to anyone”. I got contacted by the producers of the show, just like I got called other times for other survival TV shows and other TV and radio programs. I talked with them, heard what they had to say and decided I wasn’t interested, just like I wasn’t interested in Doomsday Preppers and another shows which name I can’t remember right now. I listen to everyone that comes with a serious proposition but in general reality TV shows are not in your best interest. In most cases they exploit people’s desire for their 10 minutes of fame while offering mediocre compensation or shady terms and contracts. That’s been my experience so far.
You can believe whatever you want to believe. Believe in Santa, unicorns, the tooth fairy and that reality TV are honest for all I care. Did you call 911 when you learned “Man vs Wild” was BS? Did Bear Grylls get arrested for it? Let me google that up… nope, still a free man.
Now, if being told that a reality TV show is fictitious affects you so, I’d say you have other things to worry about.
FerFAL

View Quote

I wasn't referring to you as "just anyone", I meant literally ANYONE. Wasn't being a dick, but I guess since we aren't being friends anymore, whatever. Man VS Wild? Good one. If those are your idea of survival shows then I guess we disagree on more than just alone lol. I'm sorry I had an opinion. I'll make sure my values  and beliefs mirror yours more closely from here on out. It was nice of them to swing by Argentina on the way to Vancouver Island to discuss their "script" with you.. Of course what do I know, I'm just a low post count guy here so you can clearly tell I must not know anything about real life or real survival.

Thanks for putting things into perspective for me.

Moving right along...

OP I'm excited to see what the script holds for tonight on the show.
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 6:34:22 PM EDT
[#17]
What are "feather' sticks??

Link Posted: 5/12/2016 7:45:18 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

What are "feather' sticks??

View Quote

Take a stick....now shave it..but leave the shaving on the stick. Think...carving a miniature Christmas tree...

Problem is...home girl was using a Mora first cutting towards herself...then decided..

Fuck this...an axe does better. So while splitting wood into kindling she's holding the wood at the base and chopping/batoning downward into her dick ticklers.

But..where she messed up the most was going off script ....by burying the axe into her hand between thumb and bogger hook...then spending 10-15 minutes freaking out.

It was a good view for wife and lid to see how someone screws up...knows it..but can't stay calm enough to be effective under stress....even wife unit picked up on her fast shallow breaths and asked is she gonna go into shock or pass out on tv.

Luckily for her they cut scene and she was rescued per the official script.
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 8:12:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

FerFAL
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

FerFAL

Cool, how did they fake Mary Kate's injury?
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 8:21:52 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm not a big fan of "reality" shows....but I really dig this show. Thanks Arfcom.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 11:21:33 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I wasn't referring to you as "just anyone", I meant literally ANYONE. Wasn't being a dick, but I guess since we aren't being friends anymore, whatever. Man VS Wild? Good one. If those are your idea of survival shows then I guess we disagree on more than just alone lol. I'm sorry I had an opinion. I'll make sure my values  and beliefs mirror yours more closely from here on out. It was nice of them to swing by Argentina on the way to Vancouver Island to discuss their "script" with you.. Of course what do I know, I'm just a low post count guy here so you can clearly tell I must not know anything about real life or real survival.

Moving right along...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

FerFAL

Moving right along...

Sounds like a good lesson and example...

One other question, why the importance of a "Bear-Proof Shelter"?

Link Posted: 5/13/2016 10:55:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FerFAL

I explain it in the other thread. Page fourteen or so.

ferfal is right. It's all scripted. Walt Disney is supplying trained bears and wolves so nobody gets hurt. The producers carefully edit out the rain machines when the contestants inadvertently capture them on vid.
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 7:12:57 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

ferfal is right. It's all scripted. Walt Disney is supplying trained bears and wolves so nobody gets hurt. The producers carefully edit out the rain machines when the contestants inadvertently capture them on vid.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

FerFAL

So page 14 of the GD thread. Got it. Subbed to it. Ill have to read more.

Think I'm an esp. Behind. But Dam old boys going full Swiss family Robinson there with his camp. But he needs to drop bohooing about "Barbara".

If he can drop that I think he will go far. But hard to say.. ill have to consult the script.

Dunno about Swahili Bush girl from hippistan ...but she's got a positive attitude...as does tier one sniper shorts guy...david needs to keep level headed or he will misstep like his water spill and just tap out....spear maker...unless he gets food and gets steady he may fail as well.

Only 9 days in so who knows.(except for the script writer's and ferfal).
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 9:43:57 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Think I'm an esp. Behind. But Dam old boys going full Swiss family Robinson there with his camp. But he needs to drop bohooing about "Barbara".
If he can drop that I think he will go far. But hard to say.. ill have to consult the script.
Dunno about Swahili Bush girl from hippistan ...but she's got a positive attitude...as does tier one sniper shorts guy...david needs to keep level headed or he will misstep like his water spill and just tap out....spear maker...unless he gets food and gets steady he may fail as well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FerFAL

Ha.

I forgot to mention the "spear" in this morning's ramblings in the other thread. Holy crap, what an expenditure of effort for such a useless item.

I'm hoping James is just playing to the camera with his home sickness, mostly. And, he needs to focus more on building solid shelter and less on useless contraptions.
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 3:20:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Yup agree the spear while looking cool per the producers train of thought would have been better if he kept the stick diameter to less than 2 inches...makes good TV though so I'm sure that's why they wrote it that way.
Agreed on the shelter...but even Swahili Bush girls ain't to good looking. But could just be the tarp. I think these contestants..ummm...actors have better weather this time around...but I think it may turn on them later in the season.

Either way...it's entertainment.
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 5:56:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FerFAL

Dont tell me you too are upset that a reality TV show is well... a reality TV show.
FerFAL
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 6:21:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Dont tell me you too are upset that a reality TV show is well... a reality TV show.
FerFAL
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FerFAL

FerFAL

I really dont get your bitterness towards this show.  You usually post very inaightful information but with this you seem very bitter towards it.  I dont get it.
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 6:34:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I really dont get your bitterness towards this show.  You usually post very inaightful information but with this you seem very bitter towards it.  I dont get it.
View Quote

??? Please quote ths "bitter" part. Thanks.
FerFAL
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 6:50:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

FerFAL
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

FerFAL

I wish you well in your endeavour to be on TV. I would have enjoyed seeing you on alone............

Link Posted: 5/20/2016 2:12:33 AM EDT
[#30]
Last episode was pretty good.

Its one of the better shows on TV IMO, but its just that TV...  Take it with a grain of salt.

Other then location and travel restrictions the show is not scripted.  The contestants are out there filming themselves for real.

The kicker is they film 100s of hours of footage, and the producers and editing teams pick the minutes that suite their editing scheme and story line.

More then a couple members over on BCUSA have been on the show.  I have been part of a few google video group chats/ hangouts or whatever they call it with a few of the contestants from season one.

I would love to go see what I am capable of in a situation like that, but in reality  I am not giving up my full time job for a chance.  I barely get enough vacation time to do a few things, never mind taking a month off!

I honestly feel I could do a couple weeks, but after that I would probably go bug shit crazy all by myself with no one to talk to, or associate with.  Humans are social creatures by nature.  

Very thought provoking, especially the 10 item gear selection...

One thing that baffels me is sleeping bag choice...  No one chooses a quality bag like a recon, something that is a bivi/ synthetic bag hybrid.

My bag of choice would be a Recon 5!

http://www.elitesurvival.com/sleeping-bags/recon-5-sleeping-bag/

My 10 item choice, considering you still get the canvas tarp, and smaller poly tarp, as standard issue...

Sleeping bag (Recon 5)
Axe (small boys axe size/ probably a council tools axe and leather sheath)
Saw (tested and proven one man cross cut, or maybe a large bow saw.)
Leatherman (probably a super tool 300)
ferro rod (largest one made w/ a striker if allowed)
SS pot and lid (largest size allowed, lid style so allows use as a plate.)
fishing hooks (assorted)
fishing line (heavy test)

gill net (whatever size is recommended for AO)

Paracord (blaze orange)  or rations....?

OR

drop the gill net, and select paracord + rations, and learn how to make a net myself using paracord inners...  Probably plenty of cordage washing up to make multiple nets?
No shortage of spare time, that's for sure!

I bet choices change when you really might be going!

Hind sight is 20-20, easy to quarterback an edited reality show!  

Still fun to watch...  

-Also, If you don't like the show, then please, stay out of the thread and find something else to do.  Thank you and have a nice day.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 5:55:12 AM EDT
[#31]
That's the thing TD..once your water and food needs are secured...it's a war against yourself.
In be so bored ...I'd have to exploring..look around get out of my hole.

But then I'd go full naked crazed Wildman...they'd have have to send a team after me with dart guns to get me out...then I'd end up in a Looney bin like Anthony Hopkins in that film where he was in the jungle with the apes or such....
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 11:52:36 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
That's the thing TD..once your water and food needs are secured...it's a war against yourself.In be so bored ...I'd have to exploring..look around get out of my hole.
But then I'd go full naked crazed Wildman...they'd have have to send a team after me with dart guns to get me out...then I'd end up in a Looney bin like Anthony Hopkins in that film where he was in the jungle with the apes or such....
View Quote

yup.  I honestly feel, that in a situation like that the mental aspect would be my biggest problem.  You can go with minimal food for a long time.  The rations choice could easily bring you to the 30 day mark if you could keep yourself from being to active.  Add a fish every once and a while and if you have the mental ability you could push through...  I have some extra calories building up under my belt so I know I could do 30 days with those rations!  Problem is, like I said in my post above, I honestly think 2ish weeks and I would reach the, I don't give a fuck point and be sick of being wet and "alone."  Wilson would be getting punted in the face for even looking in my direction

Alan from season one defiantly had the "mental" aspect covered... I can't say I could do what he did.  

Some guys, especially on a web forum probably have a tough time admitting limits, I feel fairly competent in my outdoor skills, but with that knowledge and experience comes your known limits, and knowing your limit is a big part of being safe in the outdoors.

-With all that said my above statements are solely based on the having a SPOT, radio, and sat phone that allows me to go back to regular life as I see fit.  If those options aren't available and its a real, true life and death situation you do whatever you can to survive and hopefully thrive.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 2:13:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Few days later....

Barrrrffffffffffff....gag..squirt...I tap out...no money for me...gag squirt handcuffs.....

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FerFAL

Few days later....

Naked & Afraid is the real weight loss program!  
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 5:34:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

FerFAL
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

FerFAL

No, no it isn't. The only thing the production crew does it edit the footage to tell whatever story they are trying to tell.

I live in the exact same environment and what they are dealing with is accurate.

I'm sure that lady chopped her hand with an axe for the "show".

If you want to say "well, Les Stroud said so" well, Les went looking for bigfoot, so.....
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 5:40:39 PM EDT
[#35]
You want proof it isn't scripted?

Here's your proof.

The black guy didn't make it one day.

Nobody scripts that in this day and age of political correctness.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 8:21:07 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Here's your proof.

View Quote

He don't care.......he's voiced his 2cents and ran back to his echo chamber ignore list utopia.

So let's not dwell to much on it.. and keep it going about each episode..I'm 1-2 behind but plan to catch up by Sunday. Interested to see how it's panning out.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 5:02:31 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

He don't care.......he's voiced his 2cents and ran back to his echo chamber ignore list utopia.
So let's not dwell to much on it.. and keep it going about each episode..I'm 1-2 behind but plan to catch up by Sunday. Interested to see how it's panning out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here's your proof.

Not the point. If it was scripted, it would match a script.

Nobody would script that. If you were to try, as a young writer, well, you would be done as a young writer.

There's no flaw in my reasoning.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 6:48:53 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Nobody would script that. If you were to try, as a young writer, well, you would be done as a young writer.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Here's your proof.

I'm not saying your flawed. I agree with you. The idea that there is a script at all  for it is stupid.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top