Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/11/2016 11:34:16 PM EDT
[#1]
How many times have I posted this???

The Cloward–Piven strategy is a political strategy outlined in 1966 by American sociologists and political activists Richard Cloward and Frances Fox Piven that called for overloading the U.S. public welfare system in order to precipitate a crisis that would lead to a replacement of the welfare system with a national ...

Commie Strategy Engineered to Help Steal America ---Working GREAT!!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloward%E2%80%93Piven_strategy

Link Posted: 4/11/2016 11:40:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would say yes and no. The practice and fine details are all but gone. Having theoretical knowledge is FAR different than working skill. There are books and the internet yes. Like I always say about those survival seed vaults. If that is your SHTF plan, you are going to starve to death. You know that in theory that a seed goes in the ground, you water it, weed it, and harvest it. Then you preserve it, somehow. How do you break virgin ground? How to you manage weeds? There is only so much that a book can tell you.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I understand that our grandparents could do stuff that most of us choose not to do.

I simply reject the notion that we have somehow been robbed of the skills or the ability.

The knowledge/ability to do the things that our grandparents did has not been taken or even lost,  the information still exists.

In fact, it's actually easier to obtain the knowledge now than it was in our grandparents day.

One simply has to choose to look up the information and then apply it.

I would say yes and no. The practice and fine details are all but gone. Having theoretical knowledge is FAR different than working skill. There are books and the internet yes. Like I always say about those survival seed vaults. If that is your SHTF plan, you are going to starve to death. You know that in theory that a seed goes in the ground, you water it, weed it, and harvest it. Then you preserve it, somehow. How do you break virgin ground? How to you manage weeds? There is only so much that a book can tell you.  

No, it's worse...we have not been robbed of the information...we've been robbed of the freedom and willpower to WANT to be independent.  I personally am a bit of a hypocrit living here in the city, but at the same time I have spent a lifetime learning and practicing and have to say I am nowhere near self-sufficient, but understand the principles and can hold my own in the short term against most situations.  No, I am not a farmer, not living in the woods off the grid....but I COULD if I wanted to...and yes, I realize it takes a lifetime of preparation to do what the folks in the above posts have achieved...I won't pretend to think I could do that.

What is sad is these folks whose parents and grandparents grew up thinking all they ever had to do was work in the mill.  Forget the education, forget supporting yourself somehow....just the mill, son. They'll take care of you.  So the children didn't go to college and didn't learn to do anything except head to the bar after work and spend their paycheck and get more in-debt...then their kids did the same, and the same after that.  Then everyone got laid off and nobody knew how to find a real job or a real career or to think about moving....and they fell into the welfare state.  Now their kids think it's ok to have a criminal records....priors...warrants....there is no manners, no sense of honor, because nobody passed them down as family values. They've lost hope and don't know how to find it...don't care if they find it.

I lived in Pittsburgh...I lived in Detroit... I saw it happen to friends and neighbors. Some escaped, some didn't.

So...back to your question...how did we get robbed?  We robbed ourselves....we opened the door and gave our stuff away without even thinking about it.

Not me.  Never.  I'll never, ever let myself be that kind of slave.
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 7:36:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I understand that our grandparents could do stuff that most of us choose not to do.

I simply reject the notion that we have somehow been robbed of the skills or the ability.

The knowledge/ability to do the things that our grandparents did has not been taken or even lost,  the information still exists.

In fact, it's actually easier to obtain the knowledge now than it was in our grandparents day.

That is why I said you have to APPLY IT.
I never meant to wait till you need it to use it.

The OP's title and question seem suggest that we have somehow been robbed of the ability to be self-reliant.
All I am saying is that the knowledge and tools are still here.

EXAMPLE: Canning.
Pretty much everyone canned back in the day. My mother never did any canning, she didn't need to.
In essence, that ability was lost in my family.

My wife wanted to learn canning. Her parents did not can either, so she started with zero knowledge.
Between ball canning books and the internet, she got the knowledge and materials and now cans.

There is a learning curve, but even her first batch of jams and jellies came out good.

She has been doing it for a few years now, and
instead of asking grandma for help (since grandma is dead), she can ask questions and join discussions on the internet.
This is a database of information our grandparents never had access to.
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 10:11:03 AM EDT
[#4]
The hardscrabble agricultural lifestyle practiced in the past was done out of necessity, not choice or desire.  You made everything yourself or did without, because money was scarce.  You did it, or you starved or froze to death.  Sometimes you starved/froze anyway.

I've heard stories from my grandparents about having nothing to eat all day but a biscuit with a slice of lard on it.  They damn sure didn't romanticize it or lament its loss.
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 9:03:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Robbed?

We were "robbed" when we started looking at ourselves as "victims".
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 2:14:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

No, it's worse...we have not been robbed of the information...we've been robbed of the freedom and willpower to WANT to be independent.  I personally am a bit of a hypocrit living here in the city, but at the same time I have spent a lifetime learning and practicing and have to say I am nowhere near self-sufficient, but understand the principles and can hold my own in the short term against most situations.  No, I am not a farmer, not living in the woods off the grid....but I COULD if I wanted to...and yes, I realize it takes a lifetime of preparation to do what the folks in the above posts have achieved...I won't pretend to think I could do that.

What is sad is these folks whose parents and grandparents grew up thinking all they ever had to do was work in the mill.  Forget the education, forget supporting yourself somehow....just the mill, son. They'll take care of you.  So the children didn't go to college and didn't learn to do anything except head to the bar after work and spend their paycheck and get more in-debt...then their kids did the same, and the same after that.  Then everyone got laid off and nobody knew how to find a real job or a real career or to think about moving....and they fell into the welfare state.  Now their kids think it's ok to have a criminal records....priors...warrants....there is no manners, no sense of honor, because nobody passed them down as family values. They've lost hope and don't know how to find it...don't care if they find it.

I lived in Pittsburgh...I lived in Detroit... I saw it happen to friends and neighbors. Some escaped, some didn't.

So...back to your question...how did we get robbed?  We robbed ourselves....we opened the door and gave our stuff away without even thinking about it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I tend to agree with those who think like RoadWarrior.

I think we have given up a lot.  Much of it was done without us ever knowing it or with us thinking that "progress" would be better for all of us.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 2:50:43 AM EDT
[#7]
The complexity of our societal dependence is nuts.  It may be nothing but I think it is interesting that the OP said "others", and I think that is part of the problem.  If we could change that to "one another" and contain the whole business to our sphere of influence we would be better off.  I try to make decisions that reflect this.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 3:32:08 AM EDT
[#8]
The one true thing that has been robbed from us by the ruling eilte has been our freedom by ways of stealing the entire economic sistem. Once based on goods that had an intrinsic value, grains, salt, later gold and silver, these where replaced (rather recently) by fiat currencies that have no value of their own, because they take no effort or labour to be created in the first place. Once this happens no matter how much goods you have or how hard or smart you work, it will always be worth in terms of something you do not control yet someone else has inifite supply of at will. Those that "create" money out of thin air are the ones really controling everything. Not governments, but the corporations running them.
So yes, as long as we use fiat currencies in one way or another we are slaves to those that own the economy. Slaves with nices houses and cars, iphones and holydays here and there but under the thumb of the eilte milking us none the less. They never lose you see. If one goes bankrupt they create some more money (through debt, which is passed on to you) and give it to one another, keeping themselves in power.
There you go, see how you can easily ruin someone's day?
FerFAL
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 10:35:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Seems to me that that endless cycle of mill work started in the New England towns back in the 19th century here in the US
Only difference is that half the population is no longer needed to be tied to the land farming, and production of goods went international so the local plants in the US folded when their owners sought out cheaper production facilities.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 12:16:28 PM EDT
[#10]
don't leave the house.

clown
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 2:27:58 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I was born in '73 so much of this was done before I was grown.

I recently read an article in Backwoodsman about a family in OK that had a well and a way of making electricity quite some time back.  They even processed their own hogs.

How did we get from being so self reliant to depending on others for virtually everything we use or own?
View Quote
I have a  water well  in my back yard.

60 PV modules  deployed, produce  STC rated 12,000 watts.

Sister  next door has a 35 x 65  greenhouse,  neighbors growing  food all  around me.

Nearest  walmart is a hundred miles from  my house..

You can DO, GROW, or GENERATE anything you want to.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 3:45:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I have a  water well  in my back yard.    60 PV modules  deployed, produce  STC rated 12,000 watts.
 Sister  next door has a 35 x 65  greenhouse,  neighbors growing  food all  around me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was born in '73 so much of this was done before I was grown.

I recently read an article in Backwoodsman about a family in OK that had a well and a way of making electricity quite some time back.  They even processed their own hogs.

How did we get from being so self reliant to depending on others for virtually everything we use or own?
I have a  water well  in my back yard.    60 PV modules  deployed, produce  STC rated 12,000 watts.

You cant do the computer you are using right now, the vehicle you drive, the solar panels you installed, most of the tools you use, building materials, etc. I get it that its nice to have solar, water well, grow food, but its really a minimal % of what you need.
FerFAL
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 5:53:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The one true thing that has been robbed from us by the ruling eilte has been our freedom by ways of stealing the entire economic sistem. Once based on goods that had an intrinsic value, grains, salt, later gold and silver, these where replaced (rather recently) by fiat currencies that have no value of their own, because they take no effort or labour to be created in the first place. Once this happens no matter how much goods you have or how hard or smart you work, it will always be worth in terms of something you do not control yet someone else has inifite supply of at will. Those that "create" money out of thin air are the ones really controling everything. Not governments, but the corporations running them.
So yes, as long as we use fiat currencies in one way or another we are slaves to those that own the economy. Slaves with nices houses and cars, iphones and holydays here and there but under the thumb of the eilte milking us none the less. They never lose you see. If one goes bankrupt they create some more money (through debt, which is passed on to you) and give it to one another, keeping themselves in power.
There you go, see how you can easily ruin someone's day?
FerFAL
View Quote

Definitely appreciate your input ferfal308.  You have definitely lived through it.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 6:00:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The complexity of our societal dependence is nuts.  It may be nothing but I think it is interesting that the OP said "others", and I think that is part of the problem.  If we could change that to "one another" and contain the whole business to our sphere of influence we would be better off.  I try to make decisions that reflect this.
View Quote

roc762

I am not sure exactly what you mean.  I know that I am reliant on (example) electricity from a company I pay and when I lose power I have to run my small genny which is not enough to do all we "need".  Or, at least, have gotten used to.  When I have had problems, tight cash etc.  the power company did not care they only wanted the cash.  Can you elaborate how you try to make decisions that reflect how thinking about one another changes things for you?
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 8:56:48 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

because its a assload of hard work

I'm happy not to have to process all my food to survive, unless I want to do it.

when you read about that stuff, you only read and fantasize about the good parts, just like most idiots fantasize about SHTF.

It really sucks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I

I'm happy not to have to process all my food to survive, unless I want to do it.

when you read about that stuff, you only read and fantasize about the good parts, just like most idiots fantasize about SHTF.

It really sucks.
This.

Folks fascination with the 'good ol days' of manual everything actually reveals how little they understand  how hard life was 100 or so years ago.

Link Posted: 4/14/2016 1:30:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
This.  

Folks fascination with the 'good ol days' of manual everything actually reveals how little they understand  how hard life was 100 or so years ago.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I

It really sucks.
This.  

I understand some of the old ways suck.  I also understand that there are many things we could be doing better and most of us are not.  For example,  I am not a Mormon...  but their ideas on food storage sure go a long way towards minimizing drama in the event of a lost job or something.

I cannot help but think of how bad off most people were in NO during Katrina and how easily a 2 liter pop bottle filled with water when it was empty of soda would have made their lives.

Link Posted: 4/14/2016 4:54:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I understand some of the old ways suck.  I also understand that there are many things we could be doing better and most of us are not.  For example,  I am not a Mormon...  but their ideas on food storage sure go a long way towards minimizing drama in the event of a lost job or something.

I cannot help but think of how bad off most people were in NO during Katrina and how easily a 2 liter pop bottle filled with water when it was empty of soda would have made their lives.
View Quote

I don't think there's one reason for that change
Back in the day a farming family laid in supplies for extended times because they HAD to; survival depended on it
Hereabouts it wasn't uncommon right up through the 40s for some rural families to be snowed in for weeks at a time after a big snowfall.
Even urban families had a small garden and kept some chickens for meat and eggs. My ex mother in law always talked about having to chase the chickens around their yard in an urban nearby city during the Depression.
Then laws got passed that wouldn't let you KEEP chickens in the cities...although that's even changing here locally because the hippies are raising a stink about wanting to be able to raise chickens again, so they've approved it on a limited basis.
NOLA is always cited for a lot of reasons, but lets be honest, the typical American household has three weeks of food on its shelves for a multitude of reasons.
Poor folks say they can barely keep any food on their shelves because of their economic status
Other folks think that any time they'll need stuff the stores will be there to provide.
They can't conceptualize any other way of things being
My ex used to say that there would never be a time when the local Wegmans was closed for more than 24 hours
She simply can't ever see a scenario that would result in any other outcome.
Then there's the people who almost never cook, They could have a years worth of food and they'll never use it under normal circumstances because they never cook, and I mean never.
These are extreme examples, but some people I know go out to eat multiple times a week, and the food in their fridge gets tossed because it ages out and spoils.
I wont even drink at those houses when I visit because I'm scared to look at the dates on their stuff they have
Some people barely know how to turn their stove on; if it can't be microwaved, they don't eat it.
Lot's of things and examples  we could sit back and laugh at...or cry at.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 3:09:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
This.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I

It really sucks.
This.  

I hand tilled my garden beds....all of a about 3-400sq ft......
It sucks...and everyone ask why I don't buy a tiller.
1- its a reminder of how fucking shitty it would be shtf trying to do it(same reason o garden and try and grow shit)
2- for the work out LOL

IMHO if you lose track of how shitty things are you kinda just gloss over it and it becomes almost candy coated till you have to do it "one day "...then that's when shit gets real...and sore LOL

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 4:25:36 PM EDT
[#19]
I think someone else mentioned it, but there is NO reason things can't be done in an old fashioned way, but using modern knowledge and tools.

You can grow food (an meaningful amounts) with very little physical labor and time compared to 100 years ago. I do it every day.

It it work? Sure, but it isn't crazy back breaking work. It DOES take tools, but why not use what tools we have available? The best money I ever spent around here was the 316 and 3 point kit. I use it every friggin day. Once I get the mini loader on it, it will be even MORE useful. What it does for me in hours would take days of hard ass manual labor.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 11:21:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
This.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I

It really sucks.
This.  

So true.

But I say just because you don't do it doesn't mean you should KNOW how to do it.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 2:16:35 AM EDT
[#21]
The word other means someone separate from your self, as I suspect you meant it in your post.  I read into the word that it also conveys the meaning that the separate someone is unlike me, not only separate from me but different than me.  I think the differences are sensationalized and exploited to make people more dependent.  I also think it is used to obscure real problems and prevent people from working together on solutions.

I see my wife as another person, separate from me but like me.  She is also the person I am most dependent on and at the center of my sphere of influence.  Does society try to break this or is there some sort corporate/government conspiracy to break or prevent families?  I don't really know, but we are more independent being dependent on one another than other people who we could pay to serve the roles we provide to our family.  

There was more to my first post but I deleted it and what I left was a bit out there to stand on its own.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 1:22:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Honestly I think we got robbed due to the combination of corporate and government power known as fascism.  Especially the items in red:

Fourteen Defining
Characteristics Of Fascism
By Dr. Lawrence Britt

Dr. Lawrence Britt has examined the fascist regimes of Hitler (Germany), Mussolini (Italy), Franco (Spain), Suharto (Indonesia) and several Latin American regimes. Britt found 14 defining characteristics common to each:

1. Powerful and Continuing Nationalism - Fascist regimes tend to make constant use of patriotic mottos, slogans, symbols, songs, and other paraphernalia. Flags are seen everywhere, as are flag symbols on clothing and in public displays.

2. Disdain for the Recognition of Human Rights - Because of fear of enemies and the need for security, the people in fascist regimes are persuaded that human rights can be ignored in certain cases because of "need." The people tend to look the other way or even approve of torture, summary executions, assassinations, long incarcerations of prisoners, etc.

3. Identification of Enemies/Scapegoats as a Unifying Cause - The people are rallied into a unifying patriotic frenzy over the need to eliminate a perceived common threat or foe: racial , ethnic or religious minorities; liberals; communists; socialists, terrorists, etc.

4. Supremacy of the Military - Even when there are widespread
domestic problems, the military is given a disproportionate amount of government funding, and the domestic agenda is neglected. Soldiers and military service are glamorized.

5. Rampant Sexism - The governments of fascist nations tend to be almost exclusively male-dominated. Under fascist regimes, traditional gender roles are made more rigid. Divorce, abortion and homosexuality are suppressed and the state is represented as the ultimate guardian of the family institution.

6. Controlled Mass Media - Sometimes to media is directly controlled by the government, but in other cases, the media is indirectly controlled by government regulation, or sympathetic media spokespeople and executives. Censorship, especially in war time, is very common.

7. Obsession with National Security - Fear is used as a motivational tool by the government over the masses.

8. Religion and Government are Intertwined - Governments in fascist nations tend to use the most common religion in the nation as a tool to manipulate public opinion. Religious rhetoric and terminology is common from government leaders, even when the major tenets of the religion are diametrically opposed to the government's policies or actions.

9. Corporate Power is Protected - The industrial and business aristocracy of a fascist nation often are the ones who put the government leaders into power, creating a mutually beneficial business/government relationship and power elite.

10. Labor Power is Suppressed - Because the organizing power of labor is the only real threat to a fascist government, labor unions are either eliminated entirely, or are severely suppressed.

11. Disdain for Intellectuals and the Arts - Fascist nations tend to promote and tolerate open hostility to higher education, and academia. It is not uncommon for professors and other academics to be censored or even arrested. Free expression in the arts and letters is openly attacked.

12. Obsession with Crime and Punishment - Under fascist regimes, the police are given almost limitless power to enforce laws. The people are often willing to overlook police abuses and even forego civil liberties in the name of patriotism. There is often a national police force with virtually unlimited power in fascist nations.

13. Rampant Cronyism and Corruption - Fascist regimes almost always are governed by groups of friends and associates who appoint each other to government positions and use governmental power and authority to protect their friends from accountability. It is not uncommon in fascist regimes for national resources and even treasures to be appropriated or even outright stolen by government leaders.

14. Fraudulent Elections - Sometimes elections in fascist nations are a complete sham. Other times elections are manipulated by smear campaigns against or even assassination of opposition candidates, use of legislation to control voting numbers or political district boundaries, and manipulation of the media. Fascist nations also typically use their judiciaries to manipulate or control elections.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 2:10:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Farm Population Demographics:

In 1820 72% of the American workforce farmed

n 2012, 3.2 million farmers operated 2.1 million farms (about 1% of the US population)

Technological efficiency and things like the Death Tax that made it difficult for Farmers to pass on their business to their families intact are major direct causes of the reduced number of farmers.

Link Posted: 4/16/2016 4:40:25 AM EDT
[#24]
I like how people blame society for their lack of closeness to the land.

Fact is, free market capitalism makes everybody's life better. Here we are, 200 yrs after starting a country on that premise, and it worked great. Now we have poor people who are fat and have Cadillac's.

I hear they are still in touch with the land in Kazakhstan and Nairobi.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 7:09:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Fact is, free market capitalism makes everybody's life better. Here we are, 200 yrs after starting a country on that premise, and it worked great. Now we have poor people who are fat and have Cadillac's.

View Quote

This stopped being capitalism at the exact moment we stopped using real money and some nice people took it upon themselves to create it as they saw fit.
Just saying, its not capitalims and theres nothing free about it.
FerFAL
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 11:12:38 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

This stopped being capitalism at the exact moment we stopped using real money and some nice people took it upon themselves to create it as they saw fit.
FerFAL
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

FerFAL

On that note... a little of this seems worthwhile to me.  Perhaps I am wrong.

http://www.apmex.com/
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 6:10:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FerFAL

No, you're not wrong. Not at all. In my experience  pm is one of the best ways to protect your savings from serious economic shtf. I keep buying a little here and there. I try to have fun collecting some interesting pieces as well. One thing I learned the hard way is how heavy and bulky silver gets. If you ever have to bug out with just a few belongings, gold is by far your best option.
FerFAL
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 10:01:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Look, to answer your question, look at yourself.  Learn something - like how to make bread.  Learn to make your own sourdough instead of 'store bought' yeast.  Learn something.  Buy canning equipment (much can be found second hand for cheap) and books (or find/join a group).  Learn something of value.  if you can, begin growing something - anything.  Buy some chickens and learn about them ........... stole from you?  What did you give away yourself?  
As I say to myself (at age 70 now), 'get off your lazy ass (my fathers words) and get to work'.  It has served me well over the years.  learn something ............. and then something else .....
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 10:42:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Most of us are on the 'financial treadmill' already, so hard to think about ditching the entire system.

And it's a system that's been most everywhere for thousands of years. You trade good and services for other goods and services. Even if it all collapses tomorrow, the system will remain or quickly return.

I'd rather not fall behind bymodern standards, and have less money and free time for it. I do a job that not everyone can or would do, a lot, to avoid doing what most other people have for jobs.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 4:23:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

So the downfall of western civilization can be traced to women drivers and automatic transmissions?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
When auto manufacturers realized they would sell more cars if more women were driving.  Women tend to feel a manual transmission is too difficult to learn or just too tedious.  Women could now spend the money faster than man could make it, while away at work.

So the downfall of western civilization can be traced to women drivers and automatic transmissions?  

Yeah, that's a stretch at best..
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 9:53:44 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 4:46:46 PM EDT
[#32]
The biggest luxury modern man has is time. If he didn't have that time, he'd know time is money and one mans joy another mans nightmare. All that independence sounds so nice today but it came with a heavy price. To most American's today the idea of working from sunup till bed time and never being able, let alone have the time, to go anywhere unimaginable. You think owning a couple dogs is a hassle, imagine hundreds of animals that need feed and water and no Walmart Superstore to get it? Its a burden worse than children. (Sometimes I think cows are the stupidest animal on the planet.)

Bite your tough sir.  We 'ranch' (small, yes but self-sustaining) and raise cattle (a small heard for sure but they pay the bills).  Given the choice between being around people and cows, I'll take cows.  I use to tell folks at works (corporate environment) that I much preferred cows to people given they tend to take care of their children better, are social animals, protect one another and such.  But - you are correct, farming/ranching is hard work with little return and again right, not 'self-sustaining'.  
None the less, given the thrust of this particular site, better to be 'out in the sticks' with the ability to maintain body and soul (with other like minds folks) if things go south than in the city(s).  I joke (sort of) that now that I'm retired, I am thinking about getting a regular full time job given that we bust our ass' here (always something to do) but we do well and the vast amount of things learned makes it worth it .....Just my .02 worth.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top