Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/8/2016 12:50:03 AM EDT
Just FYI rapid strep tests have received a waiver sometime recently and now are over the counter. A 25 test kit is $35 on Amazon.

I don't know how these work but will be on the lookout for other diagnostic tools that might save a copay.

Link Posted: 2/8/2016 9:19:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Good tip.

I see the ones I first looked at have a relatively short shelf life. If I could find some that last a while, they would make a good addition to the home medical kit.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 10:42:38 PM EDT
[#2]
That is good to know.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 9:02:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Problem is, even the hospital grade ones are about 70/30.   We have rapids come back negative, and the actual culture will come back positive all the time.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 9:22:31 AM EDT
[#4]
What about the antibiotics to go with it?
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 12:46:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

alldaychemist.com
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 2:56:58 PM EDT
[#6]
According to my understanding, you need some training to get the swab right, its not just a matter of rubbing a q-tip in one spot.

this could generate a lot of false negatives if people don't know how to properly take a sample.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 4:59:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

alldaychemist.com
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

alldaychemist.com

they require a prescription so you might as well go to your PCP to have the test done and get a prescription at the same time.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 9:39:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

they require a prescription so you might as well go to your PCP to have the test done and get a prescription at the same time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

alldaychemist.com

That's inconsistent with the folks that have bought from them before. Google alldaychemist ar15.com and you'll find plenty of reviews.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 12:28:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Just a point of criticism of using an over the counter strep test.

What are the positive and negative predictive values of the test? Do you understand the concept of pretest and posttest probabilities? If you can't answer these questions then the utility of something like a rapid strep test goes way down.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 4:14:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

That's inconsistent with the folks that have bought from them before. Google alldaychemist ar15.com and you'll find plenty of reviews.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

alldaychemist.com

if you go to the FAQ section one of the questions is do i need a prescription, and they answer is yes.
http://www.alldaychemist.com/faq/
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 11:19:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

if you go to the FAQ section one of the questions is do i need a prescription, and they answer is yes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

alldaychemist.com

And if you order stuff it just magically shows up on your door step. There are also many folks on here that have purchase fish abx and had good luck.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top