BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 9:52:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm still twiddling my thumbs up in NEPA; not even a flake on the ground.
View Quote

Where in NEPA? We had about  2-3 inches  in eastern  Monroe County around 9am today and we`ve probably gotten 10 inches up to this point.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 10:59:46 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm in Hempstead (Nassau) Long Island. We got almost 2 feet of snow and still hasn't stopped.
This was taken about an hour ago in front of my driveway.

Link Posted: 1/23/2016 11:28:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Where in NEPA? We had about  2-3 inches  in eastern  Monroe County around 9am today and we`ve probably gotten 10 inches up to this point.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm still twiddling my thumbs up in NEPA; not even a flake on the ground.

Wyoming county. Not a flake in the driveway
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 9:39:52 AM EDT
[#4]
We got over 3 feet. It's deep enough that my snow blower can barely throw the snow above it.

One of the neighbors decided to drive out to check his mail. I guess it couldn't wait until the road was cleared. He made it 100 yards and drove off the road. His Explorer had the worst looking tires for snow or off road I've seen. Some Korean sounding name with highway type tread. That thing wouldn't move at all. We tried to dig around it but his tires just spun and he ended up further off the road. I would have pulled him but my truck was broke down so he's still sitting there. After all that he tells me he can't believe they shut the roads down for only 3 feet. He could see if it was 5 feet but 3 feet is nothing. Our road had been plowed a few times so it was probably only 6 inches deep and he couldn't stay on the road with that small amount, but he thinks 3 feet of snow is nothing. Between the grocery store panic buying and people like him, I think we are screwed if anything serious ever happens.  
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 9:51:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 10:30:47 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Hankook?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

We got over 3 feet. It's deep enough that my snow blower can barely throw the snow above it.

One of the neighbors decided to drive out to check his mail. I guess it couldn't wait until the road was cleared. He made it 100 yards and drove off the road. His Explorer had the worst looking tires for snow or off road I've seen. Some Korean sounding name with highway type tread. That thing wouldn't move at all. We tried to dig around it but his tires just spun and he ended up further off the road. I would have pulled him but my truck was broke down so he's still sitting there. After all that he tells me he can't believe they shut the roads down for only 3 feet. He could see if it was 5 feet but 3 feet is nothing. Our road had been plowed a few times so it was probably only 6 inches deep and he couldn't stay on the road with that small amount, but he thinks 3 feet of snow is nothing. Between the grocery store panic buying and people like him, I think we are screwed if anything serious ever happens.  

Hankook?
Yes they were. How did you guess?

Link Posted: 1/24/2016 11:01:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 11:03:06 AM EDT
[#8]
ive got some worn down M/T Baja Radials..thinking of firing up the ole BOV and "moving" it, lol.

Pics coming........................
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 11:21:49 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm expecting some detailed AARs and lessons learned from you guys.
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 11:31:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 11:34:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not really much to say, pics tell it all. About the only thing i can say is that walking dogs in 2 foot of snow is alot more challenging then one would think. It takes its toll mushing thru the snow cuz you cant really step over it.

I didnt lose power which im thankful of, had I, then im sure there wouldve been more of an AAR / Lesson learned.

I basically hunkered down and rode out the storm and after-math. I had food, water, heat, electricity , internet (maybe my sat internet would come in handy as long as I have power)

*update*

Just took Blazer out..was interesting,,running 33" tires that are kinda worn out..they didnt do to bad, but still "plowed" alot of it with the front and rear axles, taller tires wouldve helped in this case, but the M/T Baja Radials did good in snow, never clogged up. Rear locker was doing its job, need locker up front, was playing the one wheel wonder up front, lol. FIgured 4x4 Lo would be the way go, nope, 4 high with some surgical throttle control is what was needed, cant crawl thru this stuff. have to spin er up. lol
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 2:48:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 2:59:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

So did you go to town??  Marlinton is still there I assume?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not really much to say, pics tell it all. About the only thing i can say is that walking dogs in 2 foot of snow is alot more challenging then one would think. It takes its toll mushing thru the snow cuz you cant really step over it.

I didnt lose power which im thankful of, had I, then im sure there wouldve been more of an AAR / Lesson learned.

I basically hunkered down and rode out the storm and after-math. I had food, water, heat, electricity , internet (maybe my sat internet would come in handy as long as I have power)

*update*

Just took Blazer out..was interesting,,running 33" tires that are kinda worn out..they didnt do to bad, but still "plowed" alot of it with the front and rear axles, taller tires wouldve helped in this case, but the M/T Baja Radials did good in snow, never clogged up. Rear locker was doing its job, need locker up front, was playing the one wheel wonder up front, lol. FIgured 4x4 Lo would be the way go, nope, 4 high with some surgical throttle control is what was needed, cant crawl thru this stuff. have to spin er up. lol

So did you go to town??  Marlinton is still there I assume?

Naw,,actually dont want to be out on the salted roads if I dont have to. Hated going just down the road 1/4 to turn around. Trying to keep the ole beast in one piece. lol Ill go later on next week to restock what ive eaten up and get my mail.
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 3:16:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 3:20:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Lessons learned strengths and weakness 2016: Winter Storm Jonas

Strengths:

• enough wood to run the wood stove 24/7 for 2 weeks was stored in the attached garage, 2 30 day lanterns with fresh batteries and plenty of spares

• 40 gallons of gas ready for generator (well pump, sump pump, fridge etc)

• gas tanks on Jeep, 4 wheeler, snow thrower and the old cub with plow topped off including the two car that were not going anywhere

• Batteries charged in laptops, pads, phones, tools, vape box

• plenty of food to last including drinks milk, water, juice, soda etc

• 100lbs of ice melt for after storm clean up

• ran snow thrower halfway threw the storm

weaknesses:

• its a pain in the ass to fill the snow thrower gas tank with a full VP Racing fuel jug... need to purchase a few 1 or 2 gallon fuel jugs

• Not mine but observed, garden tractors and 4 wheelers with plows next to worthless

Lessons learned:

Neighbors all came together to clear snow, neighbor across the street brought the big tractor out to clear the heavy stuff.

If the snow throwers tank is half empty and on a hill, well that equals you are out of gas

Link Posted: 1/24/2016 3:36:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Since this is survival forums - I wasnt worried about the snow, was hoping I wouldnt lose electricity (and didnt). but looked at the forecast for the rest of the week, in the 40s, that means snow is gonna melt FAST, aka, watch for high water and flooding..Dont stop prepping. The snow was only the first part.
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 4:09:53 PM EDT
[#17]
I learned my lessons with Irene and Sandy. I am well stocked up with gas,food, firewood etc...
The problem is I didn't take into account my neighbors all wanted to borrow my snowblower.
But like Cpatterson, Neighbors and I ended up helping each other and also got one of the neighbor's snowblower fixed and running.
All in all, It was a good day and met friends and neighbors both old and new.
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 5:14:57 PM EDT
[#18]
ATV w/ plow works fine so long as you know how to use it.  I plow my 400'+ driveway which is very steep all winter here in southern Canada.

You have to have a pattern, and plan.  When you plow you have to think about where the snow is actually going to go because if you drive around aimlessly then your just going to plow yourself "into a corner."

Its nothing for me to plow a 18" of fresh snow with my '99 foreman and moose plow.  If its wet heavy snow it can take a while but it would take even longer walking around behind a regular snowblower.  Now if I had 2K burning a hole in my pocket I would get one of those wide dually wheel blowers!

Link Posted: 1/24/2016 7:05:41 PM EDT
[#19]

east coast Snowpocalypse NOW Redux...

SATURDAY

making french toast the right way, first bake it at 425'F and then broil it for a minute to slightly brown it.

my view during the storm.

screened porch.  45mph wind just drove the fine snow through the screen.

SUNDAY

FML.  went at it with the snowblower and then cleaned up with the tractor.

checking on the neighbors.  lol.

Link Posted: 1/24/2016 7:50:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 1:11:43 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
ATV w/ plow works fine so long as you know how to use it.  I plow my 400'+ driveway which is very steep all winter here in southern Canada.

You have to have a pattern, and plan.  When you plow you have to think about where the snow is actually going to go because if you drive around aimlessly then your just going to plow yourself "into a corner."

Its nothing for me to plow a 18" of fresh snow with my '99 foreman and moose plow.  If its wet heavy snow it can take a while but it would take even longer walking around behind a regular snowblower.  Now if I had 2K burning a hole in my pocket I would get one of those wide dually wheel blowers!

View Quote

We run a small 17.5 hp John Deere with a plow at about 6-8" of fluffy snow.   Three passes on the drive each way.  Then it is up and over with the blower.   One round trip plus cleanup where the drive meets the road.  If you miss the 8" max for the plow, go right to the blower.   Plow blade (fast + riding) is 46" wide.  Blower is 28" and a slow walk.    

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 7:16:25 AM EDT
[#22]

I know I'm late to this party but we got about 40" from the storm. The one picture shows my wife keeping the path to the ground open for our dogs. Some of the drifts were over 5 feet.

I'm originally from California and this is the worst snowstorm I've been in. Been here since 08/1998.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top