Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/17/2016 9:42:27 PM EDT
Have lots of water stored in 5 gal bottles.  Looking for a quality, reliable dispenser.  I'm trying to avoid a standard water cooler, because they run on electric, and I don't want to have to rely on electric to dispense my water. I see some nice, simple dispensers on Amazon where you literally just throw the bottle on top and your done (like this one for example), but a considerable number of the reviews report that they leak.  Obviously bad.

Suggestions welcome.

ETA: why post this in the survival forum?  Mass storage of water + wanting a way to dispense it without electricity = prepper question
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 10:05:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Have lots of water stored in 5 gal bottles.  Looking for a quality, reliable dispenser.  I'm trying to avoid a standard water cooler, because they run on electric, and I don't want to have to rely on electric to dispense my water. I see some nice, simple dispensers on Amazon where you literally just throw the bottle on top and your done (like this one for example), but a considerable number of the reviews report that they leak.  Obviously bad.

Suggestions welcome.

ETA: why post this in the survival forum?  Mass storage of water + wanting a way to dispense it without electricity = prepper question
View Quote

Crock with spigot.
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 12:56:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Something like this seems like it would work with standard 5 gal water jugs, and the fact that you can use it while the bottle is upright takes out any potential spill.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-6-Gallon-Hand-Pump-for-Water-Bottle-Jug-Manual-Drinking-Tap-Spigot-Camping-/131244468416

Link Posted: 1/18/2016 1:19:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Something like this seems like it would work with standard 5 gal water jugs, and the fact that you can use it while the bottle is upright takes out any potential spill.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-6-Gallon-Hand-Pump-for-Water-Bottle-Jug-Manual-Drinking-Tap-Spigot-Camping-/131244468416  
View Quote

Thanks for the suggestion. I actually tried one of those, but it wouldn't keep its prime.  That is, it took about 15-20 pumps to get 1/2 cup of water out.
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 1:21:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Crock with spigot.
View Quote

Not a bad idea in a pinch.  I was hoping for something where you literally throw the bottle on top and you're done until it's empty.  I'll poke around with you idea though.  Maybe I can rig something.
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 1:29:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Not a bad idea in a pinch.  I was hoping for something where you literally throw the bottle on top and you're done until it's empty.  I'll poke around with you idea though.  Maybe I can rig something.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Crock with spigot.

Check these out, how it used to be before electricity. http://www.watercrockshop.com the 5 gal sits right on the top of the crock.

http://www.watercrockshop.com
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 1:04:56 PM EDT
[#6]

Here is an Amazon lightening deal on a pump for 5 gallon bottles.  It will end about 2PM CST.

Link Posted: 1/18/2016 4:35:02 PM EDT
[#7]
This one seems to have good reviews from the people who've purchased it.

https://www.greenmountaineco.com/product/hand-pump/
Another option would be to use a Katydyn, or other water filtration system if you have one hanging around.

You could remove the filters as long as your water is clean. hook up a stopper to fit the container.

In field use with the filter my Katydn hiker takes about 45 pumps for a quart.  

Link Posted: 1/18/2016 5:00:44 PM EDT
[#8]
I have an older stand up water cooler.  It only needs electricity if I want the water chilled.
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 6:12:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Some good suggestions here.  Thanks guys
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Here is an Amazon lightening deal on a pump for 5 gallon bottles.  It will end about 2PM CST.

http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B000LXX8H8/ref=gbdp_vlo_0a965647_B000LXX8H8?_encoding=UTF8&smid=A1B7M9EQGNCLQA

View Quote

There is a model of these sold at walmart where they stock the empty tanks.  Typically I've found them where they seasoning items live like fans and heater or kerosene supplies. It is branded the same as the bottled water I see around.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 12:37:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Suggestions welcome.

View Quote

Not sure if you have Ozarka water delivery in your area but they do sell a push pump with spigot for 5 gal water bottles...check online.

Actually, I checked online and they didn't have them, but found one on eBay for 6 bux  click to see the pumpy thingy
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 7:13:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Hell id get lazy and screw a spigot into a five gallon bucket and just sit the water jug in it.

Or

As posted....crock....kinda a time proven set up OP.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 8:28:28 PM EDT
[#13]
My view is no ceramic, no import junk plastic etc. one idea would be a resting the bottle on a stainless stock pot. Periodically I see deals for $20-$30. Add a good grade ball valve like below and it'll probably last forever.

1/2" NPT Stainless Steel Ball Valve Full Port WOG1000 SS304 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H88YNRS/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_awd_gxcOwbBSVPZKR

It'll basically be what we use for making beer for less money and can also be used to dispense water.

Link Posted: 1/20/2016 9:46:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Crock with spigot.

JFC

he just gave you the solution you were looking for.

throw bottle on top, drink. replace when empty

why are you making this complicated
???????

btw there is not some whiz bang contraption that has been invented in the last 60 years that makes this any easier
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 9:50:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Suggestions welcome.

View Quote

its sad the fpni does not apply to you
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 7:43:13 PM EDT
[#16]
A regular water cooler will dispense without electricity.  It just uses electricity to hear or chill the water.

If that doesn't work, these are pretty reliable:
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 7:50:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Check these out, how it used to be before electricity. http://www.watercrockshop.com the 5 gal sits right on the top of the crock.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Crock with spigot.

That's exactly what I was looking for. Appreciate the link!

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 8:08:01 PM EDT
[#18]
A regular water cooler works fine with no electricity if all you want to do is dispense it.
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 8:15:36 PM EDT
[#19]
I have a wide mouth 5gal water jug with a tap on the base bought at a water store for like 10bucks. I take a standard 5 gal and flip it upside down (like onto a water cooler) onto the widemouth jug and you have 10 gallons at your disposal on your counter top.

Here a wide mouth jug with tap on Amazon - click
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 9:35:50 PM EDT
[#20]
I like the stainless steel spigot but with stuff like the cooler or perhaps the crocks you can change the output setup.

I have a few of the 5 gallon round coolers and most come with a push to dispense valve that shuts off when you release it.  Makes it hard to wash hands.

Unscrew that setup and wander to lowes or whatever and you can add on whatever.

If I actually stop and read the link on that stainless steel setup I expect the threads are mentioned as well, but I just stuck it on a wishlist to look at later.

To some extent I would also consider making a screw on top that you setup to allow you to use a hand pump to pressurize with air and then get water dispensed out.

There was a thread in here on doing it to a 2.5 gallon or 5 gallon scepter or lci knockoff.  Nice thing about this, no valve leak to let water out over time.

But if poorly made as someone already mentioned the air can leak out and that just takes the fun out of it.

Overall, I like the big stainless steel pot and stainless steel spigot.  Easy to clean out if you wish to do so.  And should last forever unless you squish it or something.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 12:59:00 AM EDT
[#21]
Yup, a crock is the way to go.  You guys sold me.  I honestly didn't even consider switching out the spigot, which would alleviate my concern about leakage (as posted by some on amazon that bought some crocks).

Thanks all

ETA: the steel pot idea is nice, and I will be looking into that, so "crock" as stated above is a wide term for me right now.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 2:19:04 AM EDT
[#22]
I've been using Dolphin brand manual water pumps for several years. They cost about $15, screw onto a standard 5 gallon jug and pumps extremely efficiently. I ordered one to try...that's the one I'm still using everyday in my kitchen. I bought 2 more just in case...

They're perfect and use the existing bottle rather than another contraption. It was the best solution for me since I try to store about 100 gallons and the easiest way to do that is to buy them from SAMs club and rotate through them so they're never more than a few months old
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 4:47:57 PM EDT
[#23]
I have one of the hand pumps like shown earlier in this thread that I use while I'm at work (I have another one packed up for prep) and it's been great.  Use use it to pump all of our cooking and drinking water.  That's 4 guys using the pump 24 hours a days for 30+ days at a time and it's help up great.  The pumps are cheap (I got mine at wal mart, hardware department by the other water cooler stuff) so I'd consider keeping one on hand even if you have a different set up in mind.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top