Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 8:05:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I have been done for a few years and solely concentrating on money

I have lots of guns, ammo, and preps. Retiring rich is my current mission.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 8:22:57 PM EDT
[#2]
If I could only OWN two H-G's, both would be a 5-7's

W/ enuf ammo for a lifetime...

Oh, wait...  

Link Posted: 11/24/2015 11:07:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Yep, there enough guns, almost enough ammo, but there are higher prioritys. Alternative power systems, water, comms. Oh, and two kids in college...ugh.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 11:21:30 PM EDT
[#4]
If you have to suddenly relocate due to an ecological or socio-political TSHTF, dragging 25,000 rounds with you is going to be a 5-letter word.

There comes a point where guns and ammo are just too much, along with other gear.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 10:49:54 AM EDT
[#5]
I always buy ammo and get sucked into good mag deals at times. If you shoot you buy, not sure how you would get around this.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 12:27:18 PM EDT
[#6]
You can never have too much ammo as it will be the best bartering tool you have.  I figure
100 rounds of ammo will get me a hen that lays eggs. 1000 rounds could get me a side of beef, just saying.
I'm amazed at how many people out there still hit their LGS for ammo before going to the range.  Ammo is
plentiful and the morons that are afflicted by normalcy bias, assume it will be on the shelf when the need it.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 12:05:03 PM EDT
[#7]
What amount of ammo is the low end of satisfactory to keep stored?

my calibers of preference will be 9mm, 5.56/.223, and 7.62/.308. i figure i will need much more 9mm and 556 than 308 since it is heavier and wouldnt get used AS much.

ive just started prepping so i buy ammo where i can but my idea(for 2 9mm pistols, 2 556 AR's, AR in 308 and a bolt gun) is

2k 9mm
3k 556
1k 308

i also plan on having reloading components around as well but i dont want to factor that into this question(just started as a hobby recently).

does that sound reasonable? as of yet, i am the only person in my family competent enough in firearms to be effective and successful(working on that too)
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 3:22:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

my calibers of preference will be 9mm, 5.56/.223, and 7.62/.308. i figure i will need much more 9mm and 556 than 308 since it is heavier and wouldnt get used AS much.

ive just started prepping so i buy ammo where i can but my idea(for 2 9mm pistols, 2 556 AR's, AR in 308 and a bolt gun) is

2k 9mm
3k 556
1k 308

i also plan on having reloading components around as well but i dont want to factor that into this question(just started as a hobby recently).

does that sound reasonable? as of yet, i am the only person in my family competent enough in firearms to be effective and successful(working on that too)
View Quote

Honestly, I think that's more than adequate ammunition for emergency purposes. Now, whether it's "satisfactory" in an overall quantity sense is a completely subjective, personal-comfort-zone thing. Are you trying to negate the long-term impact of price fluctuations, trying to have enough for your kids to not worry about it in the future, etc... That can change what defines 'satisfactory levels' for stocking; while satisfactory levels for emergency, personal-defense, shtf use are (imo) likely to be substantially lower.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 9:36:09 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Honestly, I think that's more than adequate ammunition for emergency purposes. Now, whether it's "satisfactory" in an overall quantity sense is a completely subjective, personal-comfort-zone thing. Are you trying to negate the long-term impact of price fluctuations, trying to have enough for your kids to not worry about it in the future, etc... That can change what defines 'satisfactory levels' for stocking; while satisfactory levels for emergency, personal-defense, shtf use are (imo) likely to be substantially lower.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

2k 9mm

3k 556

1k 308

this is the amount of ammo that would be left untouched and rotated every so often just like other preps. i have no combat or military or LE experience so i have not been educated on weapons and ammo the way some have been. i do understand where the numbers can change in certain situations.

thanks for your response and thoughts
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 11:33:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

2k 9mm
3k 556
1k 308

View Quote

That does sounds reasonable and about the right amount.  Maybe a little more 308, say 1500 so you don't drop below 1,000.

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 6:45:12 AM EDT
[#11]
I need 1 more G19, 1 more G42, complete 2 AR's that I've been working on and a few more pistol mags - then it's all about the ammo and first aid/ electrical preps for me. Need a better generator and to have a proper hookup to the house for it.
In all honesty, if I had to do it all over again, I would not have traded, dealed and 2nd guessed my decisions as much and would have had all the guns and ammo I need sorted out 10 years ago...live and learn, I guess.
If it comes down to it, all I need is a G19 and a Mossberg 500
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:21:52 PM EDT
[#12]
The very basic "need" is subjective, and somewhat dependent on environmental factors.
I would not be exactly "satisfied", but could readily do all I tend to do with firearms with the following.

1 AR-15
1 .308 hunting/precision rifle
1 .22 rifle
1.22 pistol
1 1911
1 Glock 19
1 J Frame .38
1 4" or 5" .44 mag (model 29)
1 12 Guage shotgun (Browning A-5)

That is 9 guns. Some may call that a lot, some would not.

Personally I have far more than I need, but for me "Need" has nothing to do with it. I enjoy shooting as a recreational sport, as well as hunt, which provides meat for my family year round. Plus I have guns that have been handed down to me. I will admit that my gun buying has drastically slowed down, as I have gotten older, and have experimented with various firearms. These days I could easily sell of half the collection and not at all feel like something was missing.

Preps are another story. I could quite happy with a good bit more food set back. Same with water. One thing I would really like to see is a better emergency medicine capability. These are things that I could use over another AR or Glock.

Link Posted: 11/29/2015 1:29:29 PM EDT
[#13]
I'll add a little to my earlier post in this thread. Here is what I currently own:

Redundancy in firearms:
3 AR's - 2 in 556, 1 in 308
3 Glocks in 9mm - 2 G17, 1 in G19
3 bolt guns various cals: 243, 30-06, 7.62x54r
2 shotguns - 12g
3 revolvers - (2) 357/38, 22mag
3 22lr rifles

I've been all over the place in my gun buying/ collecting. I've gotten to my happy place now.
Like others, I've hit a target on my ammo numbers but ill continue to replace what I shoot.
3000 x 556, 2000 x 9mm and 1000 x both 308 and 12g, 10,000 x 22lr

I now have about 50 Glock 9mm mags and 50 AR15 mags

So you see why I feel like I'm in a very good place on guns and ammo. Incidentally, there are 3 members in my family hence the number of AR's and handguns, etc.

Food and water preps are back at the top of my list again. I go back and forth. Finally, I know a refocusing on savings needs to happen. I'm maxing my 401k contributions starting in January.

Eta: I've also got a Sig p220 and about 1000 rounds of 45acp.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 2:10:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Last gun I bought was probably over 2 years ago.  I'd like to buy a .22 rifle (have a .22 pistol and a conversion kit for my AR15s but would like a bolt action .22) and also plan to buy a Glock 43 eventually.  However, my Kahr CM9 is my primary concealed carry weapon at the moment and don't plan to change any time soon.  Maybe in another year or two I'll get the Glock 43.  

I would like to get another couple AR15 lowers.  I'll probably get them whenever I find them locally on sale.  I will confess to a slight panic buy right after Osama Obama started talking yet again about gun control the other day and bought another 10 Brownells magazines.  I have a lifetime supply of magazines for myself but would like to have some to pass on to my grandkids.  I'm planning to give all my grandsons an AR15 when they are old enough and if they prove themselves to be responsible enough.  I have two grandsons now so need to build a couple more AR15s!
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 12:36:03 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm a G19 and Colt AR away from where I truly feel I have "enough"----have been accumulating mags, ammo and sights as I go--so pretty well set there---the food stockpile could be better but I'm working on that too.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top