Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/21/2015 1:27:50 PM EDT
Was just thinking about how often you see a standard fishing kit as part of a survival kit, but I don't know if I've ever seen a drag net mentioned.

Which is kind of odd, since if you've ever used a drag net then you know that you can catch tons of fish with very little effort.  Even just a small 6 foot one can haul in a major amount, and you can even do it by yourself by securing one side into the sand.

The weight and space aren't too bad, either, in exchange for the reward.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 4:22:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Bought a cast net to use for whatever.  
just another tool or option in the box.
plus I'm not that good of a fisherman

eta:  as said below; it's too heavy to want to put in a BoB.  It would be more of a truck or camper bug out item.
But a good addition as a survival tool
I've watched my cousins use them from time to time, takes a little practice, but if you're in a good spot you can get a meal for your family quick.
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 4:59:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, everyone I have ever seen or used were big and unwieldy.  Not the kind of thing I keep in my kit.  Also, I rarely go further than 20 miles from home, so don't need such.  I do have one at home though.

Doc
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 5:18:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Took the cast net out of the truck when I moved to the desert.
I still carry a backpacking hammock that I always thought of as multi-purpose,
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 6:21:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes, everyone I have ever seen or used were big and unwieldy.  Not the kind of thing I keep in my kit.  Also, I rarely go further than 20 miles from home, so don't need such.  I do have one at home though.

Doc
View Quote

They make small 4' x 4' ones...
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 7:37:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Cast net, No.  Gill net yes, they were in our issue survival kit for certain areas and we were taught to make them from 550 cord and other line.
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 8:28:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Cast net, No.  Gill net yes, they were in our issue survival kit for certain areas and we were taught to make them from 550 cord and other line.
View Quote

Yeah, gill nets are so effective they are not legal in many states.  They do take some figuring out as to how and where to best employ them, but I quickly netted a half dozen bream (a couple nice sized) in my lake in less than 30 minutes.  This was in the open and they're much more effective where you can funnel them.  Very, very effective for all kits...

ROCK6
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 9:49:19 PM EDT
[#7]
WalMart has casting nets on sale from 3.5ft up to 9ft diameter marked down 50% in CT if that helps someone out.
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 8:19:19 PM EDT
[#8]
I've never got around to buying any net's but I do keep trout lines and a bunch of those yoyo's for when I desperately needed fish, but you need bait with those and a net would fill that void.
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 11:15:01 PM EDT
[#9]
We have drift and set nets.

Range from 60ft to 300ft long.

4 inch mesh to 6 inch.

Also have a black fish trap.

Do know how to make traps in the shallower river/streams if need be.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 12:36:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Doc

Uh, yea, I would like to see you secure one side in the sand and use a four foot one by yourself.

I'll pass.  You may wish to pursue it.

Doc
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 6:08:38 AM EDT
[#11]
I use a seine to catch Alantic Silversides.

Sorta a family tradition.  My net is 20x4.  
You definitely need two people but we can eat alot off one tide when the schools come in

I've used small seines bymself.  With two poles walking the net tight in front of me and scooping up.  It may have been 3 feet wide but I never measured.  Great way to catch bait. Either fresh or salt.

I'd love to use a Gill net but we can't here.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 7:19:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 8:59:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Used them at a military survival school, and they were very effective. I've since bought a few from this fellow and keep them in my kits now. Inexpensive, light, and better quality than either the military issue or the common "Best Glide" brand. They are "flag" nets, meant to be hung loosely. Fish don't necessarily get their gills caught in them, they get tangled. I suppose you could drag it, or stretch it taut across a stream, but they're at their best in still water.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/16-X-6-X-2-SQ-Survival-GILL-NET-Catch-Fish-Bait-and-Food-SHTF-/121766798671?hash=item1c59dde54f
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 12:11:12 PM EDT
[#14]
gill nets work great, and are easy to use... and usually pretty small and easy to carry.  way smaller than cast nets.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 1:48:15 PM EDT
[#15]
It's been a while, but I saw some Philipino family walking some nets out on a tidal pond behind the beach. They were pulling in a lot of minnows and such. I believe they dry them and eat them whole.
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 9:46:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Grew up on the west coast of Florida and used seine nets for years to collect bait. however, an excellent tool for small fish and crabs and shrimp. Its quick easy and almost always fruitful. As I relocate back to my hometown I will revisit. Thanks for the reminder.
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 5:18:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Gill net would be very useful. Cast net useful to get bait fish.
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 10:50:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Here is the brand of gill net I bought in 2014: http://www.bestglide.com/deluxe_gill_net.html

I had it on my Amazon  wish list for about a year and when the price dropped to $22.93 I snagged it up.  It looks like they are currently selling for $28-$32.

I haven't tried it out, as I'm  assuming there maybe legal concerns, but it is with my other preps in case I ever need it.
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 7:54:31 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Uh, yea, I would like to see you secure one side in the sand and use a four foot one by yourself.

Doc
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Doc

Doc

Well, as long as you have enough rope where it can hang loosely in the water, or you can hold both poles and use it like a big snoop net, you should be fine.  Ideally a 10 foot or longer, with two people pulling, is really best, of course.
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 12:49:12 PM EDT
[#20]
I have a multi purpose net I have kept around since the 90's from Brigade Quartermasters.  I think it was called the IMS or IMPS survival net.  I forget.  Supposedly you can use it as a hammock, gear net, camo blind, and a giil net among other things.  I should probably try it out.  

ETA:  I didn't even know Brigade was still around.  http://www.brigadeqm.com/IMPS-NET-MULTI-USE-SURVIVAL-NET-p/mpn375.htm

I also have purpose built gill nets.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 11:10:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Grow up we used seine nets and bow nets for fish.
Seines worked good in shallow (3ft or less) creeks.
When the fish were running up the river, we made home made bows that had gill nets in them. Take 2 cane poles or sapling, about 12 ft long, tie the narrow ends together parallel then bend the fat ends to cross each other.  Kind of looks like this http://www.clipartbest.com/clipart-pT59LxETB
The net was funnel shaped.
We would put them in the river and check them every 10-15 min. worked good other than when you had a lot of trash coming down the river
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 12:57:40 AM EDT
[#22]
We made gill nets from 550 cord in land survival class.

The topic is outlined in the SAS Survival Manual too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top