Quoted:

WOW! what caused the flats?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have had the best luck with BFG AT TA KOs driving over a lot of mesquite and cactus every week.
I had monthly flats with wranglers and toyos NONE with the BFGs.
I also have 2 spare sets of tires on rims at the BOL. And two spare BOVs.

I had about 5 flats with my BFGs in 20k miles. Was not impressed. Got my first flat with a real mud tire about 6 months ago after having them for about 5 sets.

WOW! what caused the flats?

A few from nails that were longer than the tread. With my mud tires they don't make it all the way in, but angle iron that flew off a trailer going the other way ate the mud tire a few months ago.
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 12:42:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

You're all set!

Keep an eye on the glue, sometimes it leaks and goes bad.  I like the stuff from Walmart.

A couple months ago, I had to plug the left rear, then it leaked last week down to 20psi.

The plug from 2 months ago was leaking.

Looks like I didn't get glue inside the tire [didn't deflate it all the way], this time I did.

Be careful pushing the 'reamers' thru the steel belts.

The plastic handles can break and cause a bad day no Crazy Glue is going to fix.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
How many 'Preppers' have done it or even could, use a plug kit to repair a tire along the road???

"That's what AAA is for"

Plug kits and compressor in the bov.  

You're all set!

Keep an eye on the glue, sometimes it leaks and goes bad.  I like the stuff from Walmart.

A couple months ago, I had to plug the left rear, then it leaked last week down to 20psi.

Looks like I didn't get glue inside the tire [didn't deflate it all the way], this time I did.

The plastic handles can break and cause a bad day no Crazy Glue is going to fix.

I've found the Slime branded plug kits to be best. They are pretty affordable on amazon and their handles are quite robust. I can say with certainty that of all the plugs kits I've seen with plastic handles, the Slime brand has the best handle. The only thing better would be a metal handle...

I also have never had a Slime brand plug leak down on me. The last plug I installed lasted another 20,000 miles after I plugged the tire and was still in there when the tires were replaced. I have 2 tires on my wife's vehicle that have screws in them but so far they haven't leaked a single bit yet so I'm not in a hurry to go through the whole plugging process...
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 5:39:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I have several 5 gallon buckets full of Caltrops of a rather innovative design. Very lightweight and cheap to make. They can be easily be handed out to several parties to quickly deny wheeled access to certain areas.
View Quote

That works both ways, think long and hard before you deploy those.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 6:00:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have several 5 gallon buckets full of Caltrops of a rather innovative design. Very lightweight and cheap to make. They can be easily be handed out to several parties to quickly deny wheeled access to certain areas.

Want to share your Caltrop design?
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 12:07:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I got zero miles to bunker. about 30 feet.
View Quote

Pics?

I know someone who thought he had a bunker.  I looked at it.  It was a dry well.    Then some arse-hole threw a bunch of bottles down it.  
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 3:53:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

You're all set!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
How many 'Preppers' have done it or even could, use a plug kit to repair a tire along the road???

"That's what AAA is for"

You're all set!

Best bet is to get a good quality all steel t-handle reamer and plugging tool. Still have to watch for the shank to snap though. I plug about 300 tires a year with them. I prefer the self vulcanizing plugs that don't use glue. They will seal anything that's not on the sidewall or bigger than 1/4". Anything bigger or on the sidewall I won't repair unless it's a farm equipment tire, but then it needs to be dismounted and patched internally.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 4:10:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

And this is just one rubber thing that can sideline your truck.  A serpentine belt letting go and taking out some radiator hoses can make a heck of a mess on the side of the road, and yeah the serpentine belt should have been replaced by dude a decade previous but it was still interesting to see it took out the hoses partially.  
View Quote

I saw one better recently. Early 80's Chevy K5 Blazer, a customer's BOV, came in on the flatbed leaking oil and antifreeze. Harmonic balancer slipped off the back of the crank hub and tore open the timing cover, oil slung up and threw off all the belts which then cut both radiator hoses. I had to try not to laugh; the guy proudly does his own maintenance and almost all of his own repairs and all the belts and hoses were in great shape, all the fluids were clean... but he didn't know enough to check the condition of the rubber in the balancer and his was obviously dry rotted. If I'd had done his belts for him I wouldn't have missed it. Knowing how to do DIY repairs on your BOV is great, but having an expert look at it once in a while for anything you overlooked can be a learning experience too. Some people don't think of that it seems.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 5:37:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Best bet is to get a good quality all steel t-handle reamer and plugging tool. Still have to watch for the shank to snap though. I plug about 300 tires a year with them. I prefer the self vulcanizing plugs that don't use glue. They will seal anything that's not on the sidewall or bigger than 1/4". Anything bigger or on the sidewall I won't repair unless it's a farm equipment tire, but then it needs to be dismounted and patched internally.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

"That's what AAA is for"

You're all set!

Thanks for the suggestion on vulcanizing plugs and the steel handled reamer.

What brands do you suggest?

Link Posted: 10/10/2015 1:16:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
We actually carry a few large magnetic sweepers on our heavy rescue to help clean stuff like that up.
View Quote

Not Aluminum you don't.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 9:52:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Had a few of the t handle plug tools break.
I will stick with straight or my metal set from northerntool.com

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 9:53:47 PM EDT
[#11]
I work for a tire manufacturer.  While all these things may, and probably will work for SHTF.  We do not recommend them for tires when there are other options.  Plugs will work for a while.  But then they act like a wick and can draw moisture into the steel belts..which causes rust.  Not good.  The ether and lighter fluid just eat away and destroy the rubber.  Like I said...it works ...but if you want the most life. From your tires do it correctly.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 10:37:16 PM EDT
[#12]
"Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads"
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 1:51:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
lol

That's only one of a million things that will surely spoil the plans of the the "bug out" fantasy.

I have news for you... when the real SHTF if you aren't already at your BOL, then you aren't getting there or at least not with all the shit you bought at the Army/Navy Surplus store.

View Quote

What shtf experience leads you to that opinion?
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 2:05:48 PM EDT
[#14]
I love having a compressor/ tire repair kit in my truck.

Easiest way to be a superhero
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 2:29:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Handy stuff, wouldn't probably help if the tire is shredded.

Link Posted: 10/13/2015 7:23:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Had a metal building screw get into a tire yesterday.

Plugged it in abt 15 minutes start to finish...

I know, I'm slow...  

Link Posted: 10/13/2015 9:38:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sure. In the fall and early spring cruise around looking for garden hoses that have been thrown out.....Cut the hose into 4-5" pieces. One hose will make a shit ton of caltrops..... Drive nails through the hose at various angles, they can be "recycled" nails, doesn't matter.....Fill a couple of 5 gallon pails with these. Light weight, cheap-- almost free, a ten year old kid can make them-ask me how I know!...and they work very well....

A Good Example-

http://edpoint.tumblr.com/post/99694997083/easy-to-make-caltrops-garden-hose-nails-time

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top