Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/2/2015 4:23:57 PM EDT
Hi Guys.  I was helping a friend cut shooting lanes for deer hunting, and got hurt.  He hit me with the chainsaw.  Thankfully, nothing too bad.  A quick trip to the hospital, were I was sure they were going to sew it up.  Nope.  They used Dermabond and glued it together.

Wow.  I'm liking this stuff.  No stitches.  No staples.  Just apply and hold until it sets.  No gauze or bandages required.  Sealed up pretty good, keeps dirt and crap out of the wound.  I'm impressed.  Impressed enough that I need to order some for the medical kit.

If I was going old school on this, it would be gauze and bandage changes regularly, worry about stuff getting in the wound, etc.  This seems sooooo much better.

Look  it up.  It might be of value to you.

Fro
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 4:28:12 PM EDT
[#1]
You can also use a new sealed tube of Crazy glue.  Just about the same stuff without the sterilization process.  

A friend used the Crazy glue when he sliced his hand open and didn't have any medical insurance.  Healed well, too.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 4:36:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You can also use a new sealed tube of Crazy glue.  Just about the same stuff without the sterilization process.  

A friend used the Crazy glue when he sliced his hand open and didn't have any medical insurance.  Healed well, too.
View Quote

+1 for crazy glue
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 5:18:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

+1 for crazy glue
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1 for crazy glue

Yep written abt it many times here.

Never an infection, amazing, after 100's of uses. Seems to have some sort of anti-infection property.

SO got a bad cut on a finger Sunday and patched it up with C-G.

If it doesn't fall off, will have a topic soon with gory pix and the healed finger.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:12:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Burns like kaka though

Doc
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:46:18 PM EDT
[#5]
crazy glue is toxic to skin. Dermabond is not. Thats why that little click stick of dermabond is almost $100.
I use Dermabond when I am in the hospital and Tuffskin when I am not.
Dermabond usually sticks for ~10-14 days if its on an area that doesn't flex. On an area that flexes its not worth much.
Also Dermabonds usage is limited to superficial cuts. If its deep I sew it up and skip the glue.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:49:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Burns like kaka though

Doc
View Quote

This 100%

Works.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:50:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Agree with the good things about dermabond and good old CG.  Dermabond does work quite a bit better than CG, though I am unsure if it is because of the applicator as the chemicals are pretty much identical.

dermabond has revolutionized laceration repair in kids, but needs to only be used in certain situations...

Do not use it with a wound that is "dirty" as it is waterproof when it dries and a "dirty" wound will collect fluid and turn into an abcess quite quickly (i have seen this too many times)

Do not use dermabond if there is going to be tension on the wound as it will pull apart in about 3-4 days instead of the week you usually want for sutures.

I use it on fingers/arms/legs/neck/small cuts on faces (but looks bad so use sutures in adults if concerned about appearance) but would not use it across joints.  staples are still better for hairy places such as the scalp as the glue won't stick unless you shave it if there is a a lot of hair.

Again dermabond is waterproof when it dries so antibiotic ointment does nothing for the wound (though you can take a shower that night if you want!)

The key is to have no tension on the wound, so when we usually use dermabond on larger incisions/lacerations we have absorbable sutures underneath the skin taking away the tension so the glue closes the skin well.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:34:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:43:16 PM EDT
[#9]
CG is allot cheaper.
If CG doesn't work you know it's time for duct tape.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:49:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Do you put it in the wound itself or just on the skin after a cut is pressed back together?

Im four weeks into packing a wound with gauze and sodium chloride...  its taking forever
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:56:03 PM EDT
[#11]
View Quote

Linky no worky.

Txl
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:57:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Dermabond is good stuff.  A bit expensive relatively, but does have advantages over tape and gauze at times.  

Glad you are ok OP, chainsaw hits are nothing to mess with.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:46:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Do you put it in the wound itself or just on the skin after a cut is pressed back together?

Im four weeks into packing a wound with gauze and sodium chloride...  its taking forever
View Quote

you squeeze the skin edges together and then apply.  use a tongue depressor or something like that so you dont glue your fingers to the skin.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 11:05:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
crazy glue is toxic to skin. Dermabond is not. Thats why that little click stick of dermabond is almost $100.
I use Dermabond when I am in the hospital and Tuffskin when I am not.
Dermabond usually sticks for ~10-14 days if its on an area that doesn't flex. On an area that flexes its not worth much.
Also Dermabonds usage is limited to superficial cuts. If its deep I sew it up and skip the glue.
View Quote

Horse Feathers.

Been using C-G for 30+ years with TERRIFIC RESULTS and know others who have too, this is likely marketing BS for Dermabond.

"Thats why that little click stick of dermabond is almost $100."

Nooo --it's just they can rip off IGNORANT SHEEPLE!   And get away with it.

And no ---CG doesn't burn or sting.  

Just axe my SO who used it Sunday and her deep wound is healing beautifully. PIX soon...

I've used it on everything from the time I cut the top of my finger off with a new knife...  [Posted abt here]

To the time I just missed my kneecap when a chain saw kicked back and cut me badly ---and still have the scar...   [Posted abt here]

Used it dozens and dozens of times...

Expy -no ER for simple shit that is easily fixed...  

How some folks here can ever hope to survive an [unlikely] REAL SHTF  --is beyond me...

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 12:39:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Linky no worky.

Txl
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Linky no worky.

Txl

Try this one
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 1:01:09 PM EDT
[#16]
The Vet bond (n-butyl cyanoacrylate) is good but not the exact same as the dermabond.

Sugi-Lock is the same formula as Dermabond (2-Octyl Cyanoacrylate) and it is more expensive than Vetbond but still much cheaper than Dermabond

Link
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 4:15:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Dermabond can work on deep wounds one half inch or so. Just make sure you clean out the wound very well. Debride the wound with a good 500cc or so of 0.9% Normal Saline and follow up with Iodine. If it is really dirty then a good scrubbing might be needed. If you seal it up with any debris in the wound an infection will occur. I used this in Afghanistan with good results on scalp wounds and non-flex areas.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 5:46:22 PM EDT
[#18]
We use it to close surgical incisions with underlaying layers of suture and DB on the skin.  Works well. Cleaner scars post op.

But if only closing a surface wound, steri strips and benzoin work just as well and are a hell of a lot cheaper.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 6:30:23 PM EDT
[#19]
I have the 3m vet version in my level 2 medkit
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 7:31:37 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Dermabond can work on deep wounds one half inch or so. Just make sure you clean out the wound very well. Debride the wound with a good 500cc or so of 0.9% Normal Saline and follow up with Iodine. If it is really dirty then a good scrubbing might be needed. If you seal it up with any debris in the wound an infection will occur. I used this in Afghanistan with good results on scalp wounds and non-flex areas.
View Quote

For cuts in a flexing area you can use a piece of tape or large band-aid that is wetted with cyanoacrylic glue (dermabond, crazy glue etc.) and applied to the wound with some tension to hold it closed. The glue will not give easily because of the large surface area and the tape provides the strength to hold the wound closed.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 11:45:20 AM EDT
[#21]
So there seems to be several versions of crazy glue. Does it matter what type?
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 12:20:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
So there seems to be several versions of crazy glue. Does it matter what type?
View Quote

We prefer the gel.

C-G and other's likely have a rather short shelf life, depending on temperature stored. We find it last's at room temp less than a year, the gel a bit longer.

Since it has to be replaced often [inexpensive], we store ours in the fridge so we always know where to find it quickly and to extend it's shelf life.

My SO's finger that I mentioned above is practically healed.  

She isn't even wearing a Band-Aid today.

When we go somewhere, we make sure to have a fresh tube/bottle available.

It's a critical component of our outdoor bags.

If the container is equipped with a brush, as was the bottle my SO used Sunday, the brush gets clotted up with the blood. It can be cleaned with acetone.

Interestingly, when C-G is applied to a wound with a lot of blood, the blood clots immediately.

There seems to be an antiseptic effect when using C-G, we've used it countless times, as I mentioned chainsaw gash, cut off top of finger, 25 years ago, my SO fell down the stairs in a fancy house we used to own that had ballesters and railings and there was a sharp edge that caught her in the elbow and that was the worst cut we've had to deal with.

Pretty deep and nasty.

C-G fixed her right up.    Never an infection.

As already mentioned, little scarring, looking at my knee where the chain saw kicked back while I was clearing some brush  [yeah I know ---very stupid] it's just adds some character to my pretty legs.

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 5:15:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 5:24:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 5:31:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Superglue and Dermabond are not the same.

Superglue (or Crazy Glue) is ethyl cyanoacrylate.  It polymerizes at room temp to form a glue, and a fairly strong bond, but only to certain types of stress.  It can withstand a VERY high shear stress, for instance... but doesn't flex very much.  It peels easily, and is quite brittle.

The Octyl-cyanoacrylate (Dermabond) has a much longer side-chain than regular Crazy Glue.  It is much less brittle, forms a more pliable glue, and works better on the skin than regular Crazy Glue.  

It's this:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/6f/Ethyl_cyanoacrylate.png/190px-Ethyl_cyanoacrylate.png

Compared to this:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/eb/2-octyl_cyanoacrylate.png/200px-2-octyl_cyanoacrylate.png

It's not a medical conspiracy to charge you big bucks for the same stuff.   It's actually a different material.
View Quote

Good to know.
CG has worked for me and is cheap but on this info I will be adding dermabond to my kit for the more valuable players.
I had a tough laceration on one of my pups legs a few years ago and had to redo the CG a dozen times so I hope the derma holds better.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 5:36:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Superglue (or Crazy Glue) is ethyl cyanoacrylate.  It polymerizes at room temp to form a glue, and a fairly strong bond, but only to certain types of stress.  It can withstand a VERY high shear stress, for instance... but doesn't flex very much.  It peels easily, and is quite brittle.

The Octyl-cyanoacrylate (Dermabond) has a much longer side-chain than regular Crazy Glue.  It is much less brittle, forms a more pliable glue, and works better on the skin than regular Crazy Glue.  

It's this:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/6f/Ethyl_cyanoacrylate.png/190px-Ethyl_cyanoacrylate.png

Compared to this:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/eb/2-octyl_cyanoacrylate.png/200px-2-octyl_cyanoacrylate.png

It's not a medical conspiracy to charge you big bucks for the same stuff.   It's actually a different material.
View Quote

Where could one find Octyl-Cyanoacrylate? My MD FIL is going to get me a few tubes for the FAK (small clumsy kids) but I know it has a short shelf life and is expensive.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 5:46:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 5:46:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I've used it WELL outside the expiration date.  It thickens up over time, but is still quite usable.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's this:

Compared to this:

Where could one find Octyl-Cyanoacrylate? My MD FIL is going to get me a few tubes for the FAK (small clumsy kids) but I know it has a short shelf life and is expensive.

I've used it WELL outside the expiration date.  It thickens up over time, but is still quite usable.

Excellent.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 7:17:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Good to know.
CG has worked for me and is cheap but on this info I will be adding dermabond to my kit for the more valuable players.
I had a tough laceration on one of my pups legs a few years ago and had to redo the CG a dozen times so I hope the derma holds better.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's this:

Compared to this:

Good to know.

Buck, before you invest, why not research the ACTUAL USABLE life of the various adhesives?  [Ignoring the 'shelf-life']

Replacement could become pretty $$$ over time for one type vs another.

Also, it may not be a bad thing to reapply the glue frequently.

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 7:46:01 PM EDT
[#30]
I see Derma-bond has a shelf-life of 2 years. Pretty good considering the more complex molecule. Don't know if it requires refrigeration to achieve this rated life.

C-G gel  [seems to last longer than the liquid and is easier to apply] when refrigerated has about the same actual life, but haven't really timed it, might be considerably longer.

There's plenty of Sellers of Dermabond on eBay, it isn't inexpensive.

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 8:01:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Hum, expired Dermabond. Will have to make rounds in ER to check?
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 8:57:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 9:19:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

the gel tends to muck up with blood and cures slowly in my experience.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I see Derma-bond has a shelf-life of 2 years. Pretty good considering the more complex molecule. Don't know if it requires refrigeration to achieve this rated life.

C-G gel  [seems to last longer than the liquid and is easier to apply] when refrigerated has about the same actual life, but haven't really timed it, might be considerably longer.

There's plenty of Sellers of Dermabond on eBay, it isn't inexpensive.

the gel tends to muck up with blood and cures slowly in my experience.

If you read my earlier post here, re my SO on Sunday, you might want to re-evaluate.

The gel doesn't leave a 'pretty' application, however it works very well.

The clotting effect is nearly instantaneous.

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 10:47:39 PM EDT
[#34]
How about this-Vet tissue adhesive -  10.95 for a 3g bottle.  Your choice of 2 second or 8 second bond time.

http://www.shopmedvet.com/product/VG3-Liquivet-2-Second-Vet-Use-3g-Btl

disclaimer- never used it, super glue from the dollar tree works for me.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 11:44:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Buck, before you invest, why not research the ACTUAL USABLE life of the various adhesives?  [Ignoring the 'shelf-life']

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's this:

Compared to this:

Good to know.

Easier for me than most as I own a pharmacy and will just add it to my inventory and rotate my expired product to my BOL.
FYI a lot of DRs use CG
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 12:09:18 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Easier for me than most as I own a pharmacy and will just add it to my inventory and rotate my expired product to my BOL.
FYI a lot of DRs use CG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's this:

Compared to this:

Good to know.

FYI a lot of DRs use CG

You don't say...  

Link Posted: 9/5/2015 2:20:08 PM EDT
[#37]

FYI a lot of DRs use CG
View Quote

What do they do with expired medications?

Do you get to stockpile a shitload of expired antibiotics and whatnot?

Link Posted: 9/5/2015 3:36:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 3:36:28 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

FYI a lot of DRs use CG

If I have expired antibiotics on the shelf that's bad management.
If we if we do have expired medications there are companies that buy them from us And I think they repackage them for the third world.
I buy my antibiotics new for myself.
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 3:41:15 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I would be very surprised to see a physician using CG in the ofc or ER.... Especially when there is an approved, medically-indicated equivalent.

Calling BS on that.

They might use it at HOME, but I'd almost guarantee they aren't using it on patients.
View Quote

If your Watching your overhead and you're not getting reimbursed any differently for it why not use what works.
I have known Family practice and pediatrics to use it.
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 3:41:35 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

If we if we do have expired medications there are companies that buy them from us And I think they repackage them for the third world.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

FYI a lot of DRs use CG

Prolly repackage them into...

Wait for it...

Fish meds!

Link Posted: 9/5/2015 3:42:51 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

If your Watching your overhead and you're not getting reimbursed any differently for it why not use what works.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I would be very surprised to see a physician using CG in the ofc or ER.... Especially when there is an approved, medically-indicated equivalent.

Calling BS on that.

They might use it at HOME, but I'd almost guarantee they aren't using it on patients.

You don't say...

Link Posted: 9/5/2015 4:19:45 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 4:59:31 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

That's a good way to end up on a date with the State Medical Board.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Calling BS on that.

People are people, and all have varying ethics.

Link Posted: 9/5/2015 5:21:13 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Calling BS on that.

Where does it say you can't use CG?
Theses are respected DRs with no complaints against them I would trust them.
Stitches reimburse much better in NM so it's only used on minor stuff.

Link Posted: 9/5/2015 6:19:05 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 7:59:40 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I had a colleague who was using non-FDA-approved material on patients... Exactly the same compound/material as the FDA-approved stuff, with no bad outcomes.  He was using it because it was cheaper, but hadn't been approved for human use.

Ended up getting suspended by the State Board (after somebody else had a complication using the same material).

And no... I can't give you more details... But the situation was very close to what we're talking about vis-a-vis the Dermabond-vs-CG.
View Quote

I could see that.
I will pass on the wisdom.
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 10:50:24 PM EDT
[#48]
I've never been really satisfied dermabond's ability to keep wounds closed if there is much tension at all. Maybe I should use dermabond more often, but I just use stitches all the time.
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 11:47:12 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 9/6/2015 12:02:49 AM EDT
[#50]
They used it on my daughter.  Four days later, three wound just popped back open.  No bleeding, but it had not at all healed together.

I called and asked, the nurse said "yeah, it does that."

So, that being my only experience with it, I wasn't terribly impressed.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top