Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/31/2015 8:31:02 PM EDT
My roommate is a 53-year-old man in otherwise good health and strong physical constitution. The usual over-50 aches and pains but generally he's very active and healthy.

Until last week when he had to rough-it in his work truck for a couple of nights (the gas consumption for the 70-mile commute is awful) and as a result, caught "something" that gave him a sore throat and a cough. He's complaining of general sapped strength and basically feeling yucky. One of those not-quite-the-flu but not feeling a hundred percent either.

We're treating this with rest, vitamins and soup. It's working, but slowly.

This is the kind of thing that, for now, means a few days of postponed jobs (he's a handyman/electrician) but what would it mean in a disaster scenario?

Today, there's shelter in a house with a swamp cooler so regardless of the dry desert heat, there's comfort.

Today, there's vitamins and, if he'd take it, cough medicine.

Today, there's plenty of fresh food and healthful soup.

Today he can take several days to rest without having to worry about scavenging for supplies, standing a security post or repairing things.

This gets me thinking about tomorrow.

When things go sideways, he's not the kind of person to coddle himself and take it easy. He'd power through it and either get better or collapse from overdoing it. It'd almost literally have to lock him in his room until he stopped coughing.

So what to do? Vitamins won't keep forever so I suppose I need to get out that huge book of medicinal plants and start seeing what will grow in the desert. I know there are natural alternatives to cough med-ichemicals.

So let's say it's post-disaster and you're feeling poorly enough to know you're ill, but not bad enough to find the local medic.

What would you do?
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 8:35:10 PM EDT
[#1]
coc...
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 10:01:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

This is the survival forum. SHTF threads go here. save your stupid shit for GD please.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 10:20:00 PM EDT
[#3]
if you have a viral resp infection you need to rest stay warm and let it run it course, trying to work through it will just make it harder on yourself.  tie and bed rest will be what you need, if your body says rest listen to it.

alex
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 10:26:49 PM EDT
[#4]
get some organic beef bones and slow cook them in water for 3 days in a crock pot to make rich broth.

reduce all sugar intake - just sip the broth and leafy green veggies like spinach, or onions, garlic, etc.

try to have him sit in the sun for 30 minutes for vitamin D.

hydrate - drink tea, not coffee.

Now, for SURVIVAL forum, back in 2007 or 2008 I flew half way across country on business and took my early version of a GHB minus any weapons due to TSA regulations.

So I basically just had first aid stuff and cash.

I knew I was coming down with something on the plane so tried to Vitamin C, multi-vitamins and a good attitude. It "almost" worked - got me through a big presentation and the immediate glad handing but as soon as I was in the clear my body crashed. I barely made it back to my hotel room. Turns out I had Strep throat. - fever, chills, aching throat, etc. I cancelled my return flight, extended my reservation for 3 more nights and then got some anti-biotics and supplies (running a fever I ended up buying ALOT of chocolate pudding and Gatorade). Thats all I had for 3 days plus all my OTC meds and vitamins I happened to travel with.

I slept, drank liquids (water and gatorade) and occasionally ate a pudding or 3 of them. by day 3 I was stabilized and could fly home.

You basically need to listen to your body and think....  hydrate, vitamins, good attitude, rest....
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 11:03:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Stay home, stay as warm and dry as possible, drink plenty of fluids, eat whatever is available, wait for the sickness to pass.

Sad to say this kind of thing can sometimes kill a person if they are sick for more that a few days while the system is down.

No hospital, no doctors, no scripts--just the care of a friend or loved one.  It usually works until the sick person is over sixty or is seriously ill.

Also, missing from your list is "clean water", which is very important to a sick person and hard to go get from the river when ill.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:40:58 AM EDT
[#6]
I think you're asking very important questions.
I believe that most vitamins and medicines will last a couple of years.
I base that on the expiration dates on many medicines is a year and several pharmacists have said that they last longer and the one year thing is just for legal liability etc.
Just as we have found that gasoline stores a lot longer than we used to think (if its in a quality metal/air tight container) - I have used gas that was 3 years old with no problem-I don't recommend storing it that long with rotation but I had some that went that long..
And I have found that food stored in a spare chest freezer (non-defrosting freezer) stored a lot longer than I thought it could be stored.
So just keep your medicine kit well stocked and I think it will be good for a  2 years.
Any 'event' that lasts longer than that and we are all in deep sh_t.

By the way I noticed that you did not mention Acetaminophen, Ibuprofen or naproxen.
Those OTC items are wonder drugs for most aches, pains and fevers and non narcotic.

My concern is antibiotics and we have a big thread on that.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 3:13:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
My roommate is a 53-year-old man in otherwise good health and strong physical constitution. The usual over-50 aches and pains but generally he's very active and healthy.

Until last week when he had to rough-it in his work truck for a couple of nights (the gas consumption for the 70-mile commute is awful) and as a result, caught "something" that gave him a sore throat and a cough. He's complaining of general sapped strength and basically feeling yucky. One of those not-quite-the-flu but not feeling a hundred percent either......
View Quote

Kind of off topic, but what was it about sleeping in his vehicle that did him in?
Cool night air coupled with a pre-existing breathing problem?
What's he carry now in the car in the event that such things happen?
Seems that having some minimal gear that would allow him to more comfortably weather a night in the truck and avoid the resulting ailments might fit the old saw about an ounce of prevention/ pound of cure
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 5:19:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
get some organic beef bones and slow cook them in water for 3 days in a crock pot to make rich broth.

reduce all sugar intake - just sip the broth and leafy green veggies like spinach, or onions, garlic, etc.

try to have him sit in the sun for 30 minutes for vitamin D.

hydrate - drink tea, not coffee.

Now, for SURVIVAL forum, back in 2007 or 2008 I flew half way across country on business and took my early version of a GHB minus any weapons due to TSA regulations.

So I basically just had first aid stuff and cash.

I knew I was coming down with something on the plane so tried to Vitamin C, multi-vitamins and a good attitude. It "almost" worked - got me through a big presentation and the immediate glad handing but as soon as I was in the clear my body crashed. I barely made it back to my hotel room. Turns out I had Strep throat. - fever, chills, aching throat, etc. I cancelled my return flight, extended my reservation for 3 more nights and then got some anti-biotics and supplies (running a fever I ended up buying ALOT of chocolate pudding and Gatorade). Thats all I had for 3 days plus all my OTC meds and vitamins I happened to travel with.

I slept, drank liquids (water and gatorade) and occasionally ate a pudding or 3 of them. by day 3 I was stabilized and could fly home.

You basically need to listen to your body and think....  hydrate, vitamins, good attitude, rest....
View Quote

Concerning your strep throat, look into adding Xylitol to your kit, even candies sweetened with Xylitol will do the trick. Google Xylitol and strep to learn more. It is very effective on many infections occurring in, but not limited to, the inner ears, sinuses, throat and mouth.

Google Xylitol and strep or staph to learn more.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 6:54:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

So let's say it's post-disaster and you're feeling poorly enough to know you're ill, but not bad enough to find the local medic.

What would you do?
View Quote

"what to do" should already have "been done"

if you cant store it, you better learn to make or gather it now. Its that simple.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:02:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Selco from SHTF School had a good segment on this. He said in summary;

There is not much you can do.  Isolate the person and let them fight it out.  

Its unlikely that you will be able to get medicine you need after SHTF.  

Underscores the importance of tribe / group.  you are going to be out of action for days, maybe weeks.  If you don't have people to carry on the load of daily tasks you are in way worse shape.  

Disclaimer;  I paid for his online course a few years back.  I got a lot of value out of it.  

SHTF School is a website dedicated to urban survival and preparedness
My name is Selco and I am from the Balkan region, and as some of you may know it was hell here from 92-95, anyway, for 1 whole year I lived and survived in a city WITHOUT: electricity, fuel, running water, real food distribution, or distribution of any goods, or any kind of organized law or government.

The city was surrounded for 1 year and in that city actually it was SHTF situation. We were all thrown into this and our allies were our enemies from one day to the next. Today I’m prepared but I learned a lot going through this hard time.

View Quote

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:27:17 AM EDT
[#11]
I suck down natural stuff...elderberry tinctures are like a cure all when combined with echinacea ...goldenseal...and home made soups.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:58:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Years ago, there were sick rooms and sick houses. When a flu came through, families would shift around to where if you had a sick child and your neighbors all had this same illness, your child would go there until better. Each house also had a sick room. If you were sick, you STAYED in the sick room in solitary. You were given meals, used a chamber pot, the whole 9. Of course, they didn't yet fully understand how germs spread through the air, but I'm sure it helped a ton. This was life in the pioneer areas (where we live) before hospitals in the late 1800's. I imagine something similar would happen again.

And we all forget about God's medicines.

Ecclesiasticus 38:4

The Lord hath created medicines out of the earth; and he that is wise will not abhor them.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 3:37:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Thank you for the comments and suggestions; I appreciate the advice. (And buckshot_jim - thanks for that!)  He's feeling a bit better today. No fever, just that cough and general malaise. Still has an appetite. I figure he'll be mostly recovered by the weekend.

tc556guy: I don't know what it was about "camping" in the truck for two nights. He said it was bad air, but where he was staying is in the mountains, so I don't out too much weight to that statement. Could have been the cold since it does tend to get chilly up there. Dumb thing is he had a bivy sack and other survival-type equipment in the truck but I think he's just forgotten about that stuff. Apparently what i need to do is create a laminated cheat sheet and hope he doesn't forget about that too.

------

Been stockpiling medications for a while now and have a pretty decent dispensary along with other random medical stuff I find at yard sales and flea markets (braces and supports mostly). I'll take a look at adding more to it with an emphasis on cold/flu relief and recovery.

I've been pretty fortunate in not getting sick this year despite working in an office where most everyone's been down with something at one point or another this year, and spending some time in hospitals both for myself (goodbye pesky gallbladder!) and for my mother (which I'll talk about in another thread soon). When I get sick like he is, it usually turns into what the doctors call R.A.D. or "Reactive Airway Disease" which is apparently doctor-speak for asthma-from-bronchitis.

What about essential oils? I've been seeing references to those for a while now but they're mostly attached to "Buy Our Kit!" long-sales letter websites and that makes me suspicious. I suppose it couldn't hurt to use them along with other remedies. Then again, menthol is effective in opening airways so maybe it's worth experimenting with them.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 3:48:09 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
What about essential oils? I've been seeing references to those for a while now but they're mostly attached to "Buy Our Kit!" long-sales letter websites and that makes me suspicious. I suppose it couldn't hurt to use them along with other remedies. Then again, menthol is effective in opening airways so maybe it's worth experimenting with them.
View Quote
Are you trying to cure or manage symptoms?

Managing symptoms:

Mint tea works well for me for stuffed up. There are also other tea options to help relieve symptoms. When my sinuses are clogged, I put a 2-3 bags of mint medley in the coffee pot and get it going (don't drink coffee, this is the only reason I have a coffee pot). I sip on tea all day.

You have to be careful with essential oils, and be VERY careful of what you buy. There are different "grades" of essential oils, from artificial to the super expensive real stuff. The cheap stuff is just scents for candles, the real deal is condensed extracts of the real thing and VERY expensive.

Don't forget an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure: keep yourself up and healthy and keep your immune system strong and you get sick a LOT less. No many people realize that Vitamin D is essential for your immune system, calcium and magnesium need to be taken together, etc. And those one-a-day pills have studies that show they simply pass through the digestive system intact. You need the good stuff (costs money) to have benefit.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 5:30:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Until last week when he had to rough-it in his work truck for a couple of nights (the gas consumption for the 70-mile commute is awful) and as a result, caught "something" that gave him a sore throat and a cough. He's complaining of general sapped strength and basically feeling yucky. One of those not-quite-the-flu but not feeling a hundred percent either.

We're treating this with rest, vitamins and soup. It's working, but slowly.

This is the kind of thing that, for now, means a few days of postponed jobs (he's a handyman/electrician) but what would it mean in a disaster scenario?

Today, there's shelter in a house with a swamp cooler so regardless of the dry desert heat, there's comfort.

Today, there's vitamins and, if he'd take it, cough medicine.

Today, there's plenty of fresh food and healthful soup.

Today he can take several days to rest without having to worry about scavenging for supplies, standing a security post or repairing things.

This gets me thinking about tomorrow.

When things go sideways, he's not the kind of person to coddle himself and take it easy. He'd power through it and either get better or collapse from overdoing it. It'd almost literally have to lock him in his room until he stopped coughing.

So what to do? Vitamins won't keep forever so I suppose I need to get out that huge book of medicinal plants and start seeing what will grow in the desert. I know there are natural alternatives to cough med-ichemicals.

What would you do?
View Quote

What to do??

Pay attention to illness of yourself and folks around you ---all your life.

Take your temperature, look at symptoms, etc.

Study medical issues, the Ship Captains' medical reference book mentioned here a couple days ago is EXCELLENT. You DID order one -didn't you???

Doctors make it a lifetime job of observing sick folks and develop a TREMENDOUS resource of practical diagnosis.

If someone can observe themselves and folks around them when ill, a tiny fraction of a doctor's diagnostic skill MIGHT be acquired, that could be of value in a SHTF scenario  -when there IS NO Doctor.

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 5:29:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Years ago, there were sick rooms and sick houses. When a flu came through, families would shift around to where if you had a sick child and your neighbors all had this same illness, your child would go there until better. Each house also had a sick room. If you were sick, you STAYED in the sick room in solitary. You were given meals, used a chamber pot, the whole 9. Of course, they didn't yet fully understand how germs spread through the air, but I'm sure it helped a ton. This was life in the pioneer areas (where we live) before hospitals in the late 1800's. I imagine something similar would happen again.
View Quote

Interesting
I don't recall ever hearing that
I assume it was more of a middle class urban thing since there weren't many close-by neighbors to send sick family off to and the poor barely had room for themselves in even the best of times
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 6:35:03 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 10:47:14 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Interesting

I assume it was more of a middle class urban thing since there weren't many close-by neighbors to send sick family off to and the poor barely had room for themselves in even the best of times
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Interesting

Quite the opposite: it was practiced by the pioneers of our township, which is extremely rural (back then) and poor farming/logging folks.

We people today simply do not understand how people back then lived. Groups of people from the same country would migrate and settle parts of the frontier. They would bring with them a sense of community, and faith. They started a church (still alive today), just a mile down the road. If you were a member of that Church, you were family. If your neighbor needed something, you helped. Before the Church was built, they assembled in each others' houses. Funerals were held in living rooms. You didn't watch out for your neighbors, you watched out FOR your neighbors, and they did the same for you. Those people were strong, honest, trustworthy, and selfless. The more we dig into the history of our township, the more we are happy we are able to preserve one of the founding member's home. It is the last habitable original home from this area (there is one last one we think, but it is not usable and falling down on itself).

They were better people than us, and they weren't even born Americans.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 1:19:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quite the opposite: it was practiced by the pioneers of our township, which is extremely rural (back then) and poor farming/logging folks.    

We people today simply do not understand how people back then lived. Groups of people from the same country would migrate and settle parts of the frontier. They would bring with them a sense of community, and faith. They started a church (still alive today), just a mile down the road. If you were a member of that Church, you were family. If your neighbor needed something, you helped. Before the Church was built, they assembled in each others' houses. Funerals were held in living rooms. You didn't watch out for your neighbors, you watched out FOR your neighbors, and they did the same for you. Those people were strong, honest, trustworthy, and selfless. The more we dig into the history of our township, the more we are happy we are able to preserve one of the founding member's home. It is the last habitable original home from this area (there is one last one we think, but it is not usable and falling down on itself).

View Quote

I understand how those immigration trends happened
At the same time with the frontier being so sparsely settled I didn't think that the suggestion that all of the sick migrated to one home was an option on the frontier
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 1:49:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 2:43:46 PM EDT
[#21]
I'd like to hear more about how they performed blood transfusions directly from one person to another.

I think it was started in WW1 and evolved from there.

Specifically, I'm interested in how clotting is prevented in the short interval the blood passes between two folks.

They were able IIRC, to use citric acid as a clotting inhibitor, and store blood a max of about 24 hours, in the 1930's.

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 3:04:29 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

At the same time with the frontier being so sparsely settled I didn't think that the suggestion that all of the sick migrated to one home was an option on the frontier
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

At least in my area, the frontier was settled in pockets. It is preached here all the time that the lone wolf doesn't survive long, and the pioneers knew this. Then you had the Indian Wars in the middle-late 1800's in this area. A lot of security from community. So while the area was sparsely populated, where it was populated, it was a gathering of families to form the community. Sure, your nearest neighbor may be a half mile away, but your farms bordered. The average farm back then was about 50 acres, according to the old plat books of the era.

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 9:54:09 PM EDT
[#23]
I don't put much stock in total end of the world scenarios where modern science is wiped out....BUT, we have had recent situations of sieges where helpless civilians are forced into a no-man's land and have to fend for themselves for extended periods of time.

Reading those accounts, almost all mention the need for soap - something a simple as lots of bars of soap.

Now...soap is CHEAP and shelf stable so there's no reason not to buy a huge quantity of bars, put them in zip lock bags and squirrel them away into mylar bags or buckets...

Next up... HONEY. I cured a really bad leg rash and infection I picked up in GA the first year with a compress of toilet paper smeared with local unpasturized honey. It really did the trick in about 1 week. Redness halted and began to go down almost immediately and the puss/infected wound healed without a scar in about 2 weeks. I wore it under my pants and no one was the wiser.

Honey of course is a natural anti-biotic and some from local hives are good for local allergies. It too is shelf-stable and lasts forever...so get a gallon or two in smaller jars and squirrel it away.

Back in the time of the Bird flu scare and then Ebola scare, lots of people rushed out and bought up N-95 masks by the crate. I still have a bag of them from the original bird flu scare.... they're relatively cheap, shelf-stable so go get a crate of them and disposable gloves.... in a pandemic you are going to want daily replacements for the mask....

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 6:20:26 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 9:42:27 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
in such situations. rest, fluids, nutrition and let their natural immune system deal with it. monitor fever and treat accordingly if needed.

beyond that there really is not a lot you can do that will be that effective. antibiotics may do nothing at all and in some cases may cause other issues if you get the wrong ones. people rely way to heavily on them today. the immune system is VERY good at what it does. let it work.
View Quote

Just to add to many of the suggestions, one thing that has not been mentioned is the PH balance
of the body relative to immune system function. An alkaline plus balance will allow much quicker
immune response.  

I have found a simple solution,  1 teaspoon of baking soda to about a cup of water, gargle and swallow.

Great for sore throats and will bring your PH out of acidity. Can be done twice a day for several days if needed.

Works for reflux very well also.

I carry a 20 oz bottle of water  with 4 teaspoons of baking soda in my bag always.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top