Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/29/2015 10:50:10 PM EDT
Just curious . . . .  if anyone ever considered this. Kind of in jest but I was curious . . . .
Maybe not end of the world but say Earth quake or flood.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 11:08:39 PM EDT
[#1]
EOTWAWKI, no. Earthquake, flood; probably not. Wife found your A Madison account... Probably.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 11:11:32 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

EOTWAWKI, no. Earthquake, flood; probably not. Wife found your A Madison account... Probably.
View Quote
You win the internet today

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 11:25:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Well Said

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 11:49:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Just curious . . . .  if anyone ever considered this. Kind of in jest but I was curious . . . .
View Quote

Yeah... in a life/death situation you should rely on an un-bathed college kid with a Kia to save your ass...
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:35:14 AM EDT
[#5]
I guess anything is worth a try. Anyone recall any similar events.

How dependable were taxi's in katrina?
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:48:11 AM EDT
[#6]
God help us.  
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 7:35:49 AM EDT
[#7]
absurd
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 8:29:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

A couple of days after the flooding the water taxis were pretty busy and mostly they would just drop you off at the nearest highway overpass with a complementary bottle of water.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:00:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
God help us.  
View Quote

I know. I was sure a stranger with an app would save me! Now I have to rethink my entire strategy.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:05:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
absurd
View Quote

This. Bad question is bad.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 11:14:52 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

View Quote

nope but 2 passports and a wad of cash  will save you every time....

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 11:30:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Are you fucking serious?
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 3:54:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So you have an option , walk home , or figure out public transport, Uber, What ever, I would probably go to a bike shop , or buy a motor cycle.
But there is always the meter maid still giving tickets, or the deputy at the county jail running things . How long do you think civilization will last after the "event" 10  min , 20 min, an hour?

Thats What I'm curious about.   . . . . life or death routinely requires catching the last plane out of doge , or maybe - uber ride.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 4:29:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

So you have an option , walk home , or figure out public transport, Uber, What ever, I would probably go to a bike shop , or buy a motor cycle.
But there is always the meter maid still giving tickets, or the deputy at the county jail running things . How long do you think civilization will last after the "event" 10  min , 20 min, an hour?

Thats What I'm curious about.   . . . . life or death routinely requires catching the last plane out of doge , or maybe - uber ride.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can only count on what you have on hand, period. You can't count on buying much of anything unless you do before the masses realize the SHTF.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 4:58:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're actually serious, aren't you?

When shit happens, people leave their posts. Everyone runs home to take care of their people, the streets get gridlocked with people trying to get out and you're basically fucked. You can't get anywhere or buy anything. That's why you want to bug out before anything happens, like when there's a slight threat or way after, once the roads have cleared (if the roads ever clear).

There won't be a clerk to sell you that bike, and they'll be looted by the time you get there anyway. The cabbies have already brought their vehicles home and are either guarding them or they're on the highway, stuck in traffic with their families. The planes will be gone, and the road to the airport will be impassable.

That's why we prep and why we shelter in place.

I can't believe this isn't a troll thread. Who doesn't know this stuff?
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 5:47:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 6:12:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 6:19:25 PM EDT
[#18]
LOL why would a ridesharing company employee risk his/her life to chauffeur people out of town in a SHTF event?

Besides Uber doesn't employ pickup trucks, Jeep Wranglers, Toyota FJ cruisers, or anything that can go offroad worth a damn. Highway gets jammed up, you're fucked.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:17:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We might as well release our chickens and sell our camping gear because they are useless to.  
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 12:37:16 AM EDT
[#20]
Depends on the situation.

I don't consider it to be a good plan.  It has too many points of failure.  You need cell service, internet service, and decent traffic...and a willing and available driver.  
Communications and public services are usually knocked out or inundated by local and regional events.  It would be stupid to rely on the things most susceptible to failure during an emergency.  
That said, if it works, it might be useful.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 5:49:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Buy a dirt bike.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 5:50:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Yeah... in a life/death situation you should rely on an un-bathed college kid with a Kia to save your ass...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I smell a movie script
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 6:47:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Once again FPNI.

Does CERN know about this?
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 7:44:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

By the time the quake starts or the water rushes in, I doubt there will be many drivers looking at their devices to make extra money by picking up strangers.

The week before, yes, and maybe the day before, too.  Timing is everything.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 9:09:37 PM EDT
[#25]
I thought uber was flexible pricing based on demand? If that is the case I could see fares skyrocketing. $500 to get you out of city might be the going rate, maybe more.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 9:13:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Is he/she serious? Uber doesn't support Firearms...Do you have a Firerarm in your BOB?
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 11:26:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I smell a movie script
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I smell a movie script

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 6:23:58 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 1:39:17 AM EDT
[#29]
so if uber was faster but not dependable how many of us would even thing of clicking the button ! PICK ME UP!
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 2:43:02 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
so if uber was faster but not dependable how many of us would even thing of clicking the button ! PICK ME UP!
View Quote

Your joking right?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top