Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/30/2015 1:09:39 PM EDT
Ive never been a ball cap guy. And Im looking for something with more cooling capabilities, with protection. (Getting old. May or may not have a bald spot forming.)

I bought a wrap from HD, but its really just fabric. It doesn't do anything really to cool you. I soak it in ice water, but within a few minutes, the wrap matches my body temp. My son has a Frog Togg (I think) towel that stays cool, but its a large foam piece really. And its a PITA to keep on when working etc.
Anybody have any good ideas for sun protection, cooling, and keeping sweat out of your eyes?
We have been hitting triple digits days down here.

Thing I bought. Wouldnt recommend for high heat days.

ETA: And the reason I put this in SF is yall are more gear driven. Im dont need the usual GD responses.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 1:21:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I am BALD.  A boonie hat like Vietnam War works great for me.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 1:27:55 PM EDT
[#2]
I keep my head shaved, for the most part.

I'm fond of a straw hat that allows for a lot of ventilation on hot days.  They are light, airy, and block the sun.

Of course, you have to be comfortable with the idea of wearing a straw hat.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 1:55:58 PM EDT
[#3]
I do a straw hat (actually, I always wear a straw hat, short of bringing out the felt in deep winter) as mentioned. You can go western, you can go garden hat, you can go full sombrero. Just make sure it is ventilated well. If it is for garden chores and around the house, I would get a decent brim width. Should set you back about $20.

Then start wearing long sleeve shirts in the sun.

Yup, I said LONG SLEEVE.

I wear WHITE (color is important. I like white, but I have some very femme looking baby blue/yellow ones from clearance I wear around the property too) long sleeve COTTON loose fitting Columbia Bonehead fishing shirts. The ones I get are 100% cotton (not all are), vented in the back, and I get them a size larger than normal so it is loose fitting (very important to be loose: be careful around machinery). Wear this with NO undershirt, and buttoned down to your belt. You will stay a LOT cooler than baking in direct sun. If it is shady/cloudy then skip the long shirt if you are inclined.

Shorts or light cotton khakis depend on the situation.

Shoes of choice, but always wear boots 'cause that's how I roll . Those flip flop/frog/beach things are good for getting thistles under your toenails, and otherwise smashing/cutting/damaging your toes. Wear good moisture control socks. I never have a problem, but some people cool from their feet. YMMV.

I have some of those knock off be cool towel things that you get wet (even with warm water) and snap them. When you snap them they get cool, and stay cool for about 10 minutes. They work fairly well, I even keep them in my summer emergency kit in the truck.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 2:02:33 PM EDT
[#4]
I have this one:

Outdoor Research Sun hat

It's a little pricey but it's moisture wicking and very comfortable. It gives me good protection from the sun for my neck and face. BTW, this is on the main site, you can find them much cheaper by shopping around. I have a boonie hat as well but I find while it blocks the sun I get very sweaty wearing it because it tends to just absorb the sweat.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 2:21:19 PM EDT
[#5]
I use a Dorfman Pacific full brim hat with vented top, and unlike my northern friends have moved away from cotton to all nylon and propylene fabrics (I don't have a fire threat)... long sleeved nylon (preferably DuPont Supplex fabric) caped back flats fishing shirts... nylon fishing shorts ( I like the World Wide Sportsman Boca Grande shorts... they wear very well for me, and I boulevard ride a bicycle daily when we are not in the middle the monsoon season.... I have a full poly face balaclava type for extreme protection, and wear tennis wristbands for pistol matches.... the water absorbing gel neckbands work also...

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 2:24:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I use a Dorfman Pacific full brim hat with vented top, and unlike my northern friends have moved away from cotton to all nylon and propylene fabrics (I don't have a fire threat)... long sleeved nylon (preferably DuPont Supplex fabric) caped back flats fishing shirts... nylon fishing shorts ( I like the World Wide Sportsman Boca Grande shorts... they wear very well for me, and I boulevard ride a bicycle daily when we are not in the middle the monsoon season.... I have a full poly face balaclava type for extreme protection, and wear tennis wristbands for pistol matches.... the water absorbing gel neckbands work also...

View Quote

Thanks man.
Im in the Panhandle.
I looked up that hat, but it doesn't have very good reviews on Amazon. Unless I looked at the wrong model.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 2:25:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have this one:

Outdoor Research Sun hat

It's a little pricey but it's moisture wicking and very comfortable. It gives me good protection from the sun for my neck and face. BTW, this is on the main site, you can find them much cheaper by shopping around. I have a boonie hat as well but I find while it blocks the sun I get very sweaty wearing it because it tends to just absorb the sweat.
View Quote

Thanks for all the info guys, but so far leaning towards this hat.
It $30 on Amazon. Imma get the Khaki one since its the lightest color.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 2:35:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Tilley airflow
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 2:38:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Temps and humidity have been out of control, but I still spend several hours a week mowing with a push mower.  I've  been using my Tilley LTM6 Airfoil (in Multicam, of course!).  I've been pretty impressed; better than my issued boonies.  I typically don't wear wide-brim hats (prefer ball caps when backpacking), but they're a God-send when it comes to keeping your neck from getting scorched.  

I can't speak to the Outdoor Research sun hat, but I have their Seattle Sombrero and can say quality is always top notch from OR...

ROCK6
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 3:12:08 PM EDT
[#10]
the Duluth trading crusher is nice but dumb looking
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 3:26:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Dang

Came back to post that I bought the OR one and saw this.

The Duluth hat is on sale right now for $4.99 if anyone else reads this thread.

Ill review the OR one when it comes in.
Thanks guy.s
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 4:02:24 PM EDT
[#12]
The get wet wring out to stay cool crap ....wont if there's no wind and humidity is high.
I wear a mesh sided boonies or a mesh back ball cap.
About it.
Stay away from dark colors or solid sides..tan..sage...yellow..

I got extra wide straw hats as well...but don't use them.much...

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 4:15:39 PM EDT
[#13]
That just cost me five bucks.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 6:37:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Hey Protus, is Multicam considered a "lighter" color?  The good news (insert sarcasm) is that I'll get the opportunity to buy a couple sets of the new OCP (multicam) uniforms...

ROCK6
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 7:47:42 PM EDT
[#15]
I use a Henschel 10 point safari hat. They seem to be more expensive now as I paid twenty five dollars for mine. 100 % moisture wicking  micro poly fleece. Vented mesh panel around the top. It has a removable foam panel in the top for flotation and insulation. The pocket for the foam panel is held shut with a velcro strip. You can also put a cold pack in with the foam panel. It beats a military boonie by miles.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 8:46:05 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Hey Protus, is Multicam considered a "lighter" color?  The good news (insert sarcasm) is that I'll get the opportunity to buy a couple sets of the new OCP (multicam) uniforms...

ROCK6
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

ROCK6
I like the ocp2 cut...back to buttons....

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 10:15:20 PM EDT
[#17]
I recently got these for driving around in my convertible
getting sunburned once was enough for me

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LF20X04 except mine was more of a khaki color, the seller must have changed what they have available. there's usually enough shade from the brim that I don't need to keep the cloth down to protect my neck from the sun

www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002QFW4O2 I got gulf stream as it's a color I didn't already have a shirt in but was still a light color
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 10:57:03 PM EDT
[#18]
I use a bandana for a sweatband and one of those synthetic chamois cloths for car washing you can buy at Walmart.  Chamois gets saturated and then mostly wrung out.  I wear it atround my neck, hanging on my shoulders.  the part on your neck might approach body temp, but you can just swab one of the loose ends against your face for a better-than-nothing cool.  Plus, they absorb sweat like the dickens.

Oh, and a Tilley Airflow
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 2:03:20 AM EDT
[#19]

Cowboy hat.
Bandanna rolled up, soaked in cold water draped around my neck, ends tucked into my shirt.
Long sleeve old light colored dress shirts.  
Re wet the bandanna from the hose every few hours.

Been doing this for years during our 70-95 degree summers in Oregon.  

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 3:51:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Ive never been a ball cap guy. And Im looking for something with more cooling capabilities, with protection. (Getting old. May or may not have a bald spot forming.)

I bought a wrap from HD, but its really just fabric. It doesn't do anything really to cool you. I soak it in ice water, but within a few minutes, the wrap matches my body temp. My son has a Frog Togg (I think) towel that stays cool, but its a large foam piece really. And its a PITA to keep on when working etc.
Anybody have any good ideas for sun protection, cooling, and keeping sweat out of your eyes?

ETA: And the reason I put this in SF is yall are more gear driven. Im dont need the usual GD responses.
View Quote

For perspiration, I just use those cheap, cotton headbands available everywhere.
For cooling, I've been using these for a few years. My neighbor who delivered mail for 35 years turned me on to them. Soak it in cool water, wrap around neck. I freeze mine. That makes it "brisk" when first applied...

http://www.orschelnfarmhome.com/body-koolerz/ctl16754/cp59860/si6362615/cl1/
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 6:35:42 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I like the ocp2 cut...back to buttons....  
View Quote

I don't want to derail the OPs question...but you have no idea!  I'm dragging out my last OCP issue just so I can get away from the stupid Velcro on the cargo pockets!!!  I dislike the ACU "digital" camouflage but absolutely hate the Velcro on the side and leg pockets with a passion...I'm older than three and can close my button pocket with one hand...I don't need Velcro!

Hat discussions, please resume..

ROCK6
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 7:34:46 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 12:24:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Dang

Thanks guy.s
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dang

Thanks guy.s

Duluth Trading Co. cancelled my order this morning.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 2:42:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

When backpacking some very hot parts of South America I would use a bandana to keep my head cool. This was before all the fancy shemags and such. Truth is, a simple square piece of cotton works wonders, just soak it up with water (yes, even your own sweat) while the temp does go up, with some movemenet and wind evaporation helps cool up your head nicely. Cotton is pretty good for this because it doesnt dry up fast and it stays moist for  along time.
FerFAL
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 4:16:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dang

Thanks guy.s

I wonder why?
Maybe they ran out at $5/ea.
I never ordered one since I had gotten the OR one 1st.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 4:19:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

When backpacking some very hot parts of South America I would use a bandana to keep my head cool. This was before all the fancy shemags and such. Truth is, a simple square piece of cotton works wonders, just soak it up with water (yes, even your own sweat) while the temp does go up, with some movemenet and wind evaporation helps cool up your head nicely. Cotton is pretty good for this because it doesnt dry up fast and it stays moist for  along time.
FerFAL
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

FerFAL

I know it sounds dumb, but I am not a bandanna kinda guy. I just dont like them on my head. They are fine for anyone that wants one though.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 6:46:06 PM EDT
[#27]
You'll be happy with the OR hat. I just used mine last night on a nighttime kayak paddle in our local Nature Center. It was super humid and I was pretty sweaty but my hat and head stayed mostly dry and this morning the hat (after sitting out all night) still has a nice, clean smell.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 8:05:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I wonder why?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dang

Thanks guy.s

I wonder why?

Yep, they ran out.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 8:18:53 PM EDT
[#29]
I've worn booney hats, desert rat hats with the neck drape, broad brim regular hats, and I just recently got a Quicksilver straw hat at Macy's on sale. I think in many ways, the old straw Mexican sombrero has it right. Big enough to provide shade, light enough not to weigh you down.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 3:26:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Got my OR hat in today. Just been wearing it for 5 minutes cleaning out my cooler and like it so far.
I'd do a better review in a few days.
Thanks for all the advice.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 9:16:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Know it is too late, but these are an option

Haven't tried one, but they advertised heavily on the Tour De France coverage
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 10:00:34 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I keep my head shaved, for the most part.

I'm fond of a straw hat that allows for a lot of ventilation on hot days.  They are light, airy, and block the sun.

Of course, you have to be comfortable with the idea of wearing a straw hat.
View Quote

Down here on the Mexican border where it's +/- 100 for months straw Stetsons and similar wide-brim Mexican straw sombreros are "in".

Link Posted: 8/7/2015 5:43:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Well I have been wearing the OR hat from a few posts back for a few days.
My thoughts, not that anyone cares.
I dont just wear it working, etc. I wear it everywhere.
It is absolutely awesome. Keeps me cool and shaded.
The only bad thing is that I have to tighten the pull string for any kind of sweat wicking.
But that makes it tight on my head, almost to tight.
Im still trying to break it in and find that happy medium of tightness and sweat absorption.

But for the price, I am happy, and would recommend it.
Thanks all.
Link Posted: 8/7/2015 9:36:25 PM EDT
[#34]
I haven't tried one, but at a recent outdoor event I talked with folks using these -

http://www.froggtoggs.com/mens/accessories/caps-hats-visors/chilly-bean-cooling-hat.html

Soak in water and as it evaporates it cools.  Seemed like it would be better than the wet rag around the neck thing.  

I have a cheap wide brimmed hat that looks to be a knock-off of the Tilly hats.  Works well, keeps the sun off your head, face and neck.  Kind of like this, only about half this price -

http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/sportsmans/Outdoor-Research-Mens-Papyrus-Brim-Hat/productDetail/Brimmed-Hats/prod999901361608/cat117337
Link Posted: 8/7/2015 11:20:23 PM EDT
[#35]
I've used these quite a bit

You gotta get past the look of them, but soak then in water and put them in the fridge. These are crystals in there that soak up a crazy amount of water. Gets cold in the fridge and the water evaporates during the day. It will last a good 8+ hours. Just tuck it underneath your colour and people won't see it. I've used it for a carbine class in July in Georgia. And most recently an entire weekend rebuilding a deck on the two hottest days of the year. I have a office job, so that isn't something I'm used to!
Link Posted: 8/8/2015 9:19:47 AM EDT
[#36]
Around these parts we call those "Dew Rags" best not be caught wearing the wrong color.

Booney hat and a frozen/cold cotton (or polyester) face towel on the neck goes a long way to keep you chill.....simple evaporative cooling.
Link Posted: 8/8/2015 3:19:41 PM EDT
[#37]
OP they look stupid but I was amazed at how effective a shemagh is. I got one for free a few years ago and tried it out on a 100+ degree windy day and was shocked at how effective it was.
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 2:14:17 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Tilley airflow
View Quote

My current straw hat was getting a little worn, so after Duluth Trading Company cancelled the order for the $5 hat mentioned earlier in this thread I decided to pick up one of these.

I am really happy with this hat, and it will definitely last longer than the straw ones I was going through regularly.

It isn't cheap, but it is definitely quality.

Thanks for posting this up as an option.  I would have not looked at them otherwise.
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 4:06:26 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 5:18:15 PM EDT
[#40]
I have one of these and I love it. Its been my hiking hat for 4 years now. If they had my size in stock I would order another right now

http://www.rei.com/product/829904/rei-outrigger-bucket-hat
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top