Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/27/2015 11:54:53 PM EDT
Headed off to town to the farm store to get a few things. Just jumped in the truck and left.

I was talking to my brother while sitting in line waiting for construction (stupid me forgot to take the county road. Figured they would have been done by now, but nope. I got to sit for 10 minutes on the highway and wait for a 1 lane road) when my phone yelled at me saying battery at 15%.

No problem, just plug into the charger.

Crap, I took it out . It has the curly cord and it pulled on my phone too much, so I bought a straight cord version to replace it.

Which is on the kitchen table, at home.

No problem, I'll grab one out of my laptop bag.

Except I didn't bring my laptop case, which has no less than 2 chargers in it .

All I can do is turn my phone to maximum battery saver setting, disable the data and not use it. I call the wife and let her know of the battery status, and only call me if needed, and I will do the same.

At this point, I have 13% left. Fortunately, I know that on maximum battery saver setting and disabling data and background apps, I can make 12% last about 7-8 hours.

Got home with 9% left.

Lesson learned: Keep a dedicated spare charger in EVERY vehicle that is not taken out FOR ANY REASON.

Push came to shove and I had an emergency, I have a 911 only phone with full battery in the GHB, but that is only good for 911.

I carry enough firepower and supplies to fight my way home on foot, but I forgot the stupidest of things like my new phone charger .

ETA: I don't think I communicated well why I started this topic: Little mistakes and oversights can have repercussions that are more sever than needed. For me, should I have had a dead phone and I broke down, I may not have been able to call for help. Perhaps not fueling your near empty tank will come back to haunt you if you have to bug out, but run out of gas on the road. Perhaps you forget to turn the fuel off before storing your generator, and during that power outage your carb is gunked up tight, then you rip a gasket when trying to clean it, etc. Little mistakes can lead to larger problems, especially when Mr. Murphy gets involved on the timing.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 12:00:12 AM EDT
[#1]
9% battery life on a cell phone is equipment failure and warrants a survival discussion?
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 12:03:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Pretty much any convenience or drug store sells car or wall chargers. Even grocery stores sell the one time use energizer ones.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 12:15:49 AM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

9% battery life on a cell phone is equipment failure and warrants a survival discussion?
View Quote
Cell phone died in the middle of nowhere and you break down can get not great in the heat we are having.

It's more of a complacency reminder, and check the little stuff.

Not everybody lives in town. Some of us drive for a while to get to one. Vehicle breakdown and no comms isn't good. I know from experiencenobody stops to help

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 12:24:32 AM EDT
[#4]
If you are truly prepared, you don't need a cell phone. If you need it, carry it with you.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 12:33:44 AM EDT
[#5]
I often leave my cell at home. I dont even have a charger for the car. What next no change for the car wash?
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 12:37:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I often leave my cell at home. I dont even have a charger for the car. What next no change for the car wash?
View Quote

Same here, I actually enjoy being out of contact. The remote places I go to don't typically have cell coverage anyway.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 1:02:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Cell phone died in the middle of nowhere and you break down can get not great in the heat we are having.  

Not everybody lives in town. Some of us drive for a while to get to one. Vehicle breakdown and no comms isn't good. I know from experiencenobody stops to help

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Heat? You live in Minnesota bro
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 1:23:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Turn the phone off and then check for messages every hour.

You're not that important to anybody where being in instant contact is Earth critical.

Not even to your wife!

Chris
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 6:42:30 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View Quote
You get all juicy in the shorts when you see a which zippo is best for shtf or is AOR2 better than OCP2 or is multicam still king for shtf

Threads dontcha....   ;p
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 9:26:02 AM EDT
[#10]
my older Explorer does not have built in GPS, so I use a Garmin Nuvi.... luckily, it charges with a mini USB the same as my older Motorola Razr....
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 9:46:13 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You never been to Minnesota in summer, have you "bro"?

Today's weather: Actual temps in the low 90's, humidity about 95% and dew points in the mid to upper 70's. Its been hot and humid for a couple weeks now.

You practically need scuba gear to breathe. Sweating is pointless, but you do it anyway in abundance.

And yes, our bodies are more used to cold, which makes it all the worse.

Lots of people die every year up here from our heat.

I've had to call 911 on multiple occasions for others with heat illness. At least 2 of those I can think of we were in remote areas: Needed my cell phone.

Sometimes survival is the stupid little shit that we all forget about. It isn't very tacticool, but a fully charged cell phone will get you out of a LOT of situations. Its having a fully inflated spare tire, or tire plug kit and air compressor. Sometimes survival is a new way to manage heavy rains in your garden to avoid sudden erosion issues (I lost half my garden one year due to 4 inches of rain one night).

But hey, lets all worry about which brand ammo is best for shooting mutant radioactive zombies from 327 yards with our AR pistols in high humidity after we run out of our API handloads .

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 12:42:44 PM EDT
[#12]
You have a bunch of cables/chargers and you removed them from your vehicle for some reason?  Next time, leave the car charger in the car and you won't have this problem.

Nowadays, all that is is a cheap USB cable at 7/11 for $4.

My '94 Montero doesn't have a USB socket, so I need a real 12v cigarette adapter and that's going to cost me.

Chris
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 1:05:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Maybe not a fancy topic but he does have a point. A phone is critical for not only everyday life but most of all for emergencies, everything from accidents on the road, wihle working or hiking, to getting attacked, kidnapped, calling for help during a crime or violent encounters. Then you have its use for gathering info, making bank transfers (think last minute transfer in a Greek/Argentina situation)
Its all only possible if the thing actually works.
I think the lesson here is yes, have a dedicated car charger and NEVER use it elsewhere. That's what I do as well.
Also look into getting a good solar charger for you BOB and GHB.
FerFAL
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:15:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Today's weather: Actual temps in the low 90's, humidity about 95% and dew points in the mid to upper 70's. Its been hot and humid for a couple weeks now.

You practically need scuba gear to breathe. Sweating is pointless, but you do it anyway in abundance.

I've had to call 911 on multiple occasions for others with heat illness. At least 2 of those I can think of we were in remote areas: Needed my cell phone.

Sometimes survival is the stupid little shit that we all forget about. It isn't very tacticool, but a fully charged cell phone will get you out of a LOT of situations. Its having a fully inflated spare tire, or tire plug kit and air compressor. Sometimes survival is a new way to manage heavy rains in your garden to avoid sudden erosion issues (I lost half my garden one year due to 4 inches of rain one night).

But hey, lets all worry about which brand ammo is best for shooting mutant radioactive zombies from 327 yards with our AR pistols in high humidity after we run out of our API handloads .

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hmmm...94F @78 deg dew point works out to 60% RH

95% RH @ 94F works out to 92 deg dewpoint.

Something in your figures seems wrong.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:31:58 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I just go by the weather channel app on my phone.

But I digress, It still amazes me how folks from down south have no idea MN gets darn hot in the summer. Its not as if we are a HUGE agricultural production area or anything..... We just had heat warnings within the last couple weeks for heat index temps around 110. Corn loves it!
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:19:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
But I digress, It still amazes me how folks from down south have no idea MN gets darn hot in the summer. Its not as if we are a HUGE agricultural production area or anything..... We just had heat warnings within the last couple weeks for heat index temps around 110. Corn loves it!
View Quote

I don't doubt the temps, it's the humidity that I marvel at, being here in Miami where humidity is a constant problem almost year round and certainly from April through October.

I just got back from an 8 day road trip from Boston to Maine and then into central NJ and finally NYC and in NJ/NYC, we were pushing 100+ degrees.  Hot, but only a tad humid and people were freaking out.

Chris
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 4:44:43 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I don't doubt the temps, it's the humidity that I marvel at, being here in Miami where humidity is a constant problem almost year round and certainly from April through October.

I just got back from an 8 day road trip from Boston to Maine and then into central NJ and finally NYC and in NJ/NYC, we were pushing 100+ degrees.  Hot, but only a tad humid and people were freaking out.

Chris

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Chris

Yup, we get stupid humid. I don't know how accurate the weather channel is on my phone, but I know that I can take a water jug at room temperature (we keep our house at 72), take it outside and condensation forms on it immediately. I don't have a weather gadget myself, so I can't take accurate, local readings.

Granted tomorrow they are forecasting dew points in the mid 40's, so we don't get 6 months straight of it, but we have our days/weeks.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 5:27:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not an issue here...we have no cell service outside of town and 80 miles in about any direction to any other built up areas.  Keep water and a few MRE's in your vehicle and it's all good.  It's a lot hotter down here than in MN.  You'll be okay if the phone dies...but I get the point of your post...
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 7:37:52 PM EDT
[#19]
My uncle had a  telephone in his car, back in 1972.
The  other  3.5 Billion people alive then seemed to have  gone about their  daily lives without one.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 7:45:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Am i the only 1 who is left because someones cell phone battery got low.  OMG, WHAT DID WE DO 15 YEARS AGO WHEN WE HAD NO CELL PHONES!!  

I am sure i must not be as "hardcore" cause IF my battery dies, life goes on.  if my GF says she tried calling and didnt get ahold of me, i just say "yup.. battery died" *usually its her battery that dies cause she has every app in the world running 24/7*  

That or i just got Trolled in the survival board
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 7:51:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Walmart sells (or used to) these little phone charger thingies that take 123 batteries.  It's basically a battery box with a usb on one side that goes into the phone.  I keep one in the cars and one in my edc bag.  Came in handy a few times, like when my daughters wanted to go off on their own at the mall but forgot to charge their phones. They're nice to have and pretty small.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 9:31:23 PM EDT
[#22]
My vehicle always has a two-USB plug in that goes in the cig lighter spot as well as the following:
- 4AA battery charger that runs off cig lighter
- 800W inverter that can run direct-connect off the car battery if necessary
- Cords for both my wife's and my phones

Additionally, in the back I keep a battery charger that has a USB charging port on it.

I never, ever take those out of the vehicle.

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 9:37:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Am i the only 1 who is left because someones cell phone battery got low.  OMG, WHAT DID WE DO 15 YEARS AGO WHEN WE HAD NO CELL PHONES!!  

I am sure i must not be as "hardcore" cause IF my battery dies, life goes on.  if my GF says she tried calling and didnt get ahold of me, i just say "yup.. battery died" *usually its her battery that dies cause she has every app in the world running 24/7*  

View Quote

All of this. OMG! Muh fone gunna die!! Code red, code red.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 10:27:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Your thread title is misleading.  It wasn't an equipment failure, it was a failure on your part.  The equipment worked as it should and because it is an electronic device it's going to have it's battery drained when you use it.  Trying to blame the equipment isn't the answer.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 10:32:14 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Am i the only 1 who is left in asbecause someones cell phone battery got low.  OMG, WHAT DID WE DO 15 YEARS AGO WHEN WE HAD NO CELL PHONES!!  

Perhaps some are missing the point, perhaps i didnt communicate it well, but rhe point was that a simple lapse in judgement and concentraion can screw with you. Perhaps you forgot or didn't notice you only had 1/8 tank left in your car, didn't fill up before going home and you had to bug out, only to run out if gas.

My point is tp take notice of the little and mundane things.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 10:33:07 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Your thread title is misleading.  It wasn't an equipment failure, it was a failure on your part.  The equipment worked as it should and because it is an electronic device it's going to have it's battery drained when you use it.  Trying to blame the equipment isn't the answer.
View Quote
Very true.

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 3:16:33 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
If you are truly prepared, you don't need a cell phone. If you need it, carry it with you.
View Quote

Having a cell phone IS part of being truly prepared.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 3:19:58 AM EDT
[#28]
I filled up my water bottle from the fridge, got sidetracked and let my dog in and when I sat down in my leather recliner forgot to bring my water with me.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:51:38 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I filled up my water bottle from the fridge, got sidetracked and let my dog in and when I sat down in my leather recliner forgot to bring my water with me.
View Quote

If you were truly prepared you wouldn't need that water...
Oh...
Um

Gotta love this forum.
Guy can do a basic psa style "hey don't forget X..."
And the herp deep team arrives...
Mean while...in 4+ pages we have which is better an AR or AK or (insert caliber of choice)  for shtf...or should I relocate to Botswana because its economy is booming threads..
And then back on page three a new Guy is showing pictures  of his 1st trip with his BOB....and has three replies of "great job " and two of "why do you have xxy instead of $$$ brand..."

Here's a PSA choices that you make effect the outcome of your day be it chop a tree for shelter...charge your phone or run a mile vs sucking down four doughnuts....that's survival...not how many stupid USB chargers or mags you got but the choices you make once your in X scenario.
Ymmv

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 12:09:23 PM EDT
[#30]
I thought that the conventional wisdom was that one was not "prepared" unless they had multiple options...sort of like the "two is one" thing.
Maybe a charged fully functional 2nd phone along with a hand-held CB radio, a mobile Ham radio, and a roll of quarters with a print out of the location of any pay-phones along your route.

It's a jungle out there, Be safe!
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 2:08:26 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

<snip>

Gotta love this forum.

Guy can do a basic psa style "hey don't forget X..."

And the herp deep team arrives...

Mean while...in 4+ pages we have which is better an AR or AK or (insert caliber of choice)  for shtf...or should I relocate to Botswana because its economy is booming threads..

And then back on page three a new Guy is showing pictures  of his 1st trip with his BOB....and has three replies of "great job " and two of "why do you have xxy instead of $$$ brand..."

Here's a PSA choices that you make effect the outcome of your day be it chop a tree for shelter...charge your phone or run a mile vs sucking down four doughnuts....that's survival...not how many stupid USB chargers or mags you got but the choices you make once your in X scenario.

Ymmv

View Quote
Just try to take it in stride. Remember the simple poll I did a couple weeks ago? The one where 23.5% of people ON A PREPPER/SURVIVAL FORUM have NEVER tested their preps?

That hit home there truly are a lot of talkers here, very few doers. At best, there is a large percentage of the "prepper" community that are little more than mountain house preppers.

That's OK though, someone has to buy all the cheap Chinese shit for their SHTF SKS. Otherwise ebay and CTD may go out of business .

Its all good: Different strokes for different folks.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 2:41:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Actual Temp in Dodge Center, MN right now - 77*, feels like 77*
Where I'm at (in the south) actual 96*, feels like 103* - low for the day is 78 (higher than your high).  Hell, my a/c barely keeps up in the evenings and it's set at 78*.
This is freaking cool front, actual temp this morning @ 7am = 82*.

Try growing cotton.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 2:44:48 PM EDT
[#33]
I think the tapco T6 stocked..railed top cover..Allen key pinned muzzle break (with single point voodoo sling) in desert tan is the standard issue long arm of the prepper movement....

;)

Its to hot...ain't no one got time to test shit yo!LOL

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 2:48:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Where I'm at (in the south) actual 96*, feels like 103* - low for the day is 78 (higher than your high).  Hell, my a/c barely keeps up in the evenings and it's set at 78*.

Try growing cotton.
View Quote

La is further north than me...try growing mosquitoes ...oh wait...LOL

Avg out my way is like you 88-96 with 80+% humidity mid day...index around 102-115.
Its rained non stop so our low (3-5am) is around 75 and 100%.

Makes me wish I lived up nawrth.

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 3:00:56 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Avg out my way is like you 88-96 with 80+% humidity mid day...index around 102-115.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Try growing cotton.

Yup, we had a cold front move through late yesterday evening, brings in nice cool norther Canadian air. Dew points low today. Its quite beautiful out, except for the wind advisory.

I don't know why this thing about 'Its not that hot in MN" is even an argument? Yes, we get hot and humid, Yes, it only USUALLY lasts for about 3-4 days then we get a bit of a break back to the mid 80's, Yes, our bodies are used to the cold more so, which makes it HARDER on us.

Next thing you know, they will forecast lows in the 20's down south and you all will be FREAKING OUT while I run around outside in a T shirt in that weather soaking up the warmth . For that matter, having a working cell phone in winter is even MORE important if your car dies or you nestle it safely in a ditch during a snow storm. W/o proper clothing and supplies in a dead car, you be dead in a couple hours from hypothermia.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 3:10:50 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

same here, sometimes i even leave it at home on purpose.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:45:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Try growing cotton.

Earlier it was 90, the temp dropped a bit but the humidity is still 90% right now.  It gets hot and humid up "nawrth" too.  We've been lucky, summer has been pretty mild so far.  It gets nearly as hot up here as it does down there, just not as frequently or for as long.  Then winter hits and we don't have to deal with that shit.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:26:51 PM EDT
[#38]
i have a Mophie case for my iPhone 6 that includes a battery that can give a full charge. I have charging cords/chargers (and extras) at both work and in my car, in addition to at home.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 7:48:32 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 10:32:32 PM EDT
[#40]
A cell phone, a full tank of gas, and good tires and windshield wipers are going to get or keep you out of more jams than 6 methods of fire starting, a silenced .22, and a plate carrier.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 7:05:30 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
A cell phone, a full tank of gas, and good tires and windshield wipers are going to get or keep you out of more jams than 6 methods of fire starting, a silenced .22, and a plate carrier.
View Quote

I think there’s some value to this.  It’s not so much about looking down and seeing your phone is about to die and you have no way to recharge, than it is about a failure in your communication plan.  I’m not talking about Twitter or checking your Facebook comments.

Personally, I hate phones…I’ve been tied to a phone to some degree for the past 20+years for duty…it sucks. Any opportunity I’m out of cell-range is a good vacation.  The irony is that we have so many meetings in a classified setting that we have to leave our phones in lock-boxes and even if the meetings are not classified, you phone needs to be on vibrate or silent.  Text is my preferred method of communication and it drives my wife insane; still we just developed a simple code word for emergencies…SHTF.  That will get me out of a meeting or make me break contact to call her.

Having your mobile phone just about to die from low power is only important if it’s a significant part of your emergency plans (and I wouldn’t necessarily advocate it).  Still, there is some value to have instant feeds, constant weather info and traffic updates.  It would help avoid a bad area or help make that last-minute decision to fill up the tank.  

Honestly a mobile phone and blackberry have to remain on my checklist for work, I do have duty that I can’t ignore.  They are valuable for family contact info, but we also have other communication protocols as backup.  Not only do I have a charger (or three) in the truck and AC chargers at work and in the travel bags, but I also carry a 6000mAh battery charger.  I do forget my phones at home sometimes, shit happens, but for the most part they are chains from work and not far away…fortunately, I’m more apt to grab my CCW, LED light and knife than the phone…but phones are a decent form or pre-SHTF communication and can be valuable during a SHTF if the network is still up.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 7:25:47 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 7:39:46 AM EDT
[#43]
Good tip based on real life experience.

My method is to have one spare in the house for moving around.  Otherwise, one at bed, one at computer, one in laptop bag, and one in car.

I also stop and buy one if I get caught for some reason. (Only happened once.)  My car has USB inputs so I can use any charger, "car" or not.

One thing I did though was switch to the Amazon branded ones that were black, so they don't stand out in my car as "stuff to steal in here" with a glance through the window.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 7:51:02 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I think having our work phone the same as our personal phone is a handicap to many of us.  

On vacation once, I dropped mine in the lake and seriously didn't know whether to happy or sad.  That being said, not once in a weather event that knocked down trees and all lines coming to my house were down did the question of happy or sad come up.

Tj
View Quote

Cell and power dropped......

Out came board games....calmest 4 hours in a while....

Slowing down ain't always bad.

Tied to a phone for work as well....fun its not ..and the day it ain't ..I may go ghost just to enjoy the silence lmao.

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 8:09:43 AM EDT
[#45]
There's a world of difference between being screwed and being mildly inconvenienced.  Survival is about being adaptable, creative, and resourceful...not panicked, paranoid, and obsessive.

Hell, the entire point of educating oneself on basic survival is specifically to deal with those time when there isn't a cellphone and emergency services available.

Yeah, little mistakes can make for big problems, but more often than not, it's the overreaction caused by stressing out over little things that get people killed.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 7:03:38 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
There's a world of difference between being screwed and being mildly inconvenienced.  Survival is about being adaptable, creative, and resourceful...not panicked, paranoid, and obsessive.

Hell, the entire point of educating oneself on basic survival is specifically to deal with those time when there isn't a cellphone and emergency services available.

Yeah, little mistakes can make for big problems, but more often than not, it's the overreaction caused by stressing out over little things that get people killed.
View Quote

"Basic survival" is just one part of preparedness. Not getting into a bad situation is a much better survival tactic than trying to get out of a bad situation. Having basic survival skills is an important part of preparedness, but having to use them to survive because your cell phone had a dead battery is a pretty serious preparedness fail.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top