Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/27/2015 12:08:21 AM EDT
I am hoping I put this in the correct forum. I figured I am prepping, so its relatable to the guys in here.

I have been saving for a while now and selling off some stuff to possibly get a suppressor. Now that I am virtually there, I am having thoughts and reconsiderations of maybe investing in something else. The suppressor I am looking at is going to run $1150 when all is said and done. That said, that's a huge chunk of change and was also considering grabbing a decent set of level IV ceramic plates, or an ACOG, or spare parts, or other stuff. Ammo isn't a huge worry as I have a good amount and a separate budget for that.
What do you all think? Is the suppressor the wise choice to make for shtf or should it go to the bottom of my list? After voting, please let me know what your thoughts are.

ETA: I should have mentioned that I have several AR's, all but one with optics. The only optics i am considering for the last on is the ACOG or possibly a 1-4x Elcan if I find a smoking deal.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 12:28:01 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd go can.

But I may be bias. As mn just legalized them
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 1:03:50 AM EDT
[#2]
I'd love suppressors for my various rifles, but if you're prepping for zombie shit, you'll want an optic for precision work, first, is my thought.

Chris
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 1:19:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Check EE for deals on an ACOG. I bought a RCOM4 for $775 a few years ago but I regularly see them as low as $800.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 1:22:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Optic first, then a can.  This is assuming you don't already own an AR with an optic on it.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 2:24:24 AM EDT
[#5]
From a practical/survival standpoint, I'd go with an Aimpoint, and get Nightvision before I'd worry about an optic for long range precision or a suppressor or body armor.

Of course the long term answer is all the above.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 7:43:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Assuming you already have a red dot get a suppressor, better yet go to the suppressor forum read how the DIY $250 thread.  Build your own form 1 and save the rest of the cash for another item on your list.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 8:30:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
From a practical/survival standpoint, I'd go with an Aimpoint, and get Nightvision before I'd worry about an optic for long range precision or a suppressor or body armor.

View Quote

I'd love to get all and NV is on my list, but not in the current budget. It would take me a few years to save for them and by then, I should be able to just buy some.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 9:38:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Assuming you already have a red dot get a suppressor, better yet go to the suppressor forum read how the DIY $250 thread.  Build your own form 1 and save the rest of the cash for another item on your list.
View Quote

I thought about building my own, but I don't have a lathe at home and I'm not sure if my boss would let me make one at work (govt building).
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 2:03:57 PM EDT
[#9]

1. You already have rifles with optics

2. Suppressors make training/practicing safer and more enjoyable

3. If a situation arises where you need plates, a suppressor would no doubt be useful as well

Link Posted: 7/27/2015 5:41:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 6:00:41 PM EDT
[#11]
If you want to be stealthy, use part of that $ to buy a .22 suppressor.  Save the rest of it and keep saving until you get enough for NVG.

Link Posted: 7/27/2015 6:32:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Have you been around sound suppressors?  

The biggest mistake I've seen folks do over the years is expect to slip one of these on a barrel and expect it to work.  They work pretty well on subsonic calibers/ammunitions, not so well to hardly at all on super-sonic ammunition and calibers.  The basic problem is the suppressor will suppress the powder bang but then the round breaks the sound barrier.  For example, the newer air guns that do 1,400 fps, just as well shoot a .22lr because they have the same noise level.  

They actually require a little thought to maximize their potential.  If I had to mention the two suppressed guns I've been around I like the best it was a Mach 10 .45, actually a forum member owns and a UZI designed to cycle .22lr shorts.  Both were very quiet.  All you could hear was the bolt slamming.  

5.56mm/.223 is a bear to load subsonic.  They typically use a fast powder in very low amounts which are hard to measure consistently.  That's so the bolt will still cycle.  .22lr handguns or rifles, best they can feed subonic or shorts which are subsonic, otherwise its one shot jam.  

Of course, this can be overcome.  Its just like I posted though, it takes some thought.

Tj
View Quote

Yes I have pretty extensive experience with suppressors (use) in multiple calibers. This is just the first chance I've had to own one, but am wondering if there is some other gear I should get first/in place of as I prep.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 7:02:16 PM EDT
[#13]
I consider these four items as game changers.

1)NV
2)Suppressor
3)50BMG
4)armor

So based on what your list is..I'd say suppressor for sure.  You can form 1 and save a ton of money...your suppressor sounds expensive.  My TBAC 30P-1 wasn't even that expensive and it's a purposed built for precision.

An ACOG isn't going to make you a better shooter as it sounds like you have other optics for your AR15s.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 8:10:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I consider these four items as game changers.

1)NV
2)Suppressor
3)50BMG
4)armor

So based on what your list is..I'd say suppressor for sure.  You can form 1 and save a ton of money...your suppressor sounds expensive.  My TBAC 30P-1 wasn't even that expensive and it's a purposed built for precision.

An ACOG isn't going to make you a better shooter as it sounds like you have other optics for your AR15s.
View Quote

I have considered a form1, but as stated, I'm not sure if my boss would give me a thumbs up to do it at the shop.

The suppressor I am looking at is a SF, so pricey, but their CS is tops, so I am taking that into account too (though I am aware that in a shtf situation CS won't count for shit). I have seen some companies offing suppressors for significantly cheaper, but most seem to be direct thread and I'd like the ability to have a fh attached as well, not only for the ability to have a universal attachment for multiple rifles, but if the can takes a shit in a shtf scenario, I can pull it off quick and not be shooting a huge fireball when I shoot again.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 9:46:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Go to the suppressor forum and read the $100 or $250 form 1 suppressor thread.
Then use what's left for something else on your list.

ETA: Use Titanium. I had a SS YHM QD .30cal one first and bought the titanium one later, the weight savings is worth every penny. I can use it on my .223/5.56 AR's and my.308 bolt action.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 9:59:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

My NV setup is arriving from TNVC this week.  Gen 3 PVS-14 with weapon mount kit, Team Wendy helmet, Wilcox L4 G11 mount, Steiner OTAL IR laser, and  Surefire 952V.  I sure hope it is worth it

OP, I would get a can.  In fact my next large purchase will be a AAC SDN-6
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 10:11:26 PM EDT
[#17]
I bought a Yukon 2.5 Titanium NV scope for about $500.  Is it the latest generation whizzbang Night Vision Scope?  Heck no. It works pretty danged good and lets me see in the other 50% of the day that I was limited to using a flashlight in.

An inexpensive night vision scope on your rifle NOW is way better than a GenIV Night Vision Scope on a wishlist for SOMEDAY.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 10:49:09 PM EDT
[#18]
OP, I highly recommend heading over to the suppressor form for great info and where to find suppressor deals. Frankly, for the price you are thinking, you can get some great suppressors for less and have money for other uses, or more suppressors.  For that kind of money, you could get a 556 and a .22lr suppressor both from a great company.  Check out the suppressor forum first.

I have an NFA trust with an SBR and 9 cans on the trust.  They are part of my preps.  The .22 can on my Savage 22 bolt gun is quiet as a mouse fart with subsonic ammo.  The thud on the target or the striker hitting the cartridge are louder.  .22 cans are lots of fun.  I have a Silencerco Spectre II I love and do like my HTA G22, very light and quiet.  I use a Specwar 556 on my SBR.  

Check it out, suppressor forum deals.

One thing about SureFires is that they tend to be louder than other suppressor.  Silencerco has top notch customer service.  I have used it and it is great.  I have five of their suppressors now.  Gemtech is good too.  In fact, there is a gunbroker distributer that frequently sells Gemtech Treks for $295 + $20 shipping.  Those are direct thread ones.  Lots of us in the suppressor forum have bought them.  Check that thread for sales.  Also, Cherokee Pawn in GA has lots of sales on suppressors.  They have been running the AAC Mini for $399.  And Capitol Armory keeps having special sales that get posted in that thread above.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 11:31:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

My NV setup is arriving from TNVC this week.  Gen 3 PVS-14 with weapon mount kit, Team Wendy helmet, Wilcox L4 G11 mount, Steiner OTAL IR laser, and  Surefire 952V.  I sure hope it is worth it

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have that can in triplicate. One is dedicated to a .308 bolt gun, one is dedicated to a .300BLK, and the third is left NIB for a rainy day. I am very happy with them and would like to get two more.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 11:35:43 PM EDT
[#20]
I would go can with what is on your list, however I would get my first can in .22 if I could do it again, then the .30 can. However if I was in your shoes I would really think about NV. I use night vision and a suppressed .22 more than anything else for protecting my critters from other critters.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 12:39:06 AM EDT
[#21]
SF isn't the only game in town if you want a QD brake.  Look into SAS TOMB system...SAS makes some very nice suppressors, even though his CS has gone down the crappy.  MileHigh is the distributor for SAS now.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 6:48:58 AM EDT
[#22]
Ill be the turd smasher.
Hows your food...water..debt...BOL?

;)

For me

Nv 1st...3k is about what a  pvs14 and extras run.

Got several ARs sell one .

Then id say can

Armor honestly for the $ go steel...unless you plan on playing rambo each day shtf. A good soft set with steels for static (home..op/lp ) use would work.

But if you run outta food by week two or water by day five you just gave your nice kit to somone else.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 8:55:26 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Ill be the turd smasher.Hows your food...water..debt...BOL?

;)

For me
Nv 1st...3k is about what a  pvs14 and extras run.
Got several ARs sell one .
Then id say can
Armor honestly for the $ go steel...unless you plan on playing rambo each day shtf. A good soft set with steels for static (home..op/lp ) use would work.

But if you run outta food by week two or water by day five you just gave your nice kit to somone else.
View Quote

Water storage is building up every time we go to the store. For food, my garden is decent and I am currently building a small homestead farm on my property with chicken, goats, pig etc.

I am aware what good gen 3 NV runs which is why I sort of kept it out. With the farm being built, I am persuading the wife into purchasing those for me/us from one of our other savings stashes as a defense from predators purchase. I am in the process of parting out one of my ARs to build funds, but the market is pretty much shit currently.

I already have steel armor with soft backers, was really looking at the ceramics for the decrease in weight/increased protection.

It appears the can is the way to go at this point. Seems to be the general consensus thus far.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 7:12:45 PM EDT
[#24]
I voted other.  You already have AR's with optics, so that's not a must have.  Suppressors are nice, but if SHTF is your thinking, not going to give you the big leg up over every other guy with a rifle.  You said you already have a set of steel plates, so I'd push replacements back as well.

I agree with a few of the other guys above.  NV would be my next purchase if I was in your shoes.  Don't bother with anything less than Gen 3, and you can get into that for around $2k on the low end.  That means you're 60% of the way there with your $1150.    I have a Gen 1 and Gen 2, and my buddies' Gen 3 is 2 leaps and 4 bounds better.  When I bought the Gen 2 I thought, "this will be so much better than nothing at all" but now I'm kinda disappointed after looking through a Gen 3.  There really isn't any comparison.  My Gen 2 is pretty good for 50-100yds, where the Gen 3's can see many hundreds of yards much better.  My Gen 2 has become weapon mounted only and I'll eventually get a Gen 3 monocular for helmet mount.

To me, I always try to think about what the other guy has and doesn't have.  (I assume) everyone has a pistol, a rifle and some ammo.  What makes the biggest difference beyond that?  To me, NV gives you the ability to operate when many others will not be able to, and if it is SHTF, the lights will be out at night and give you that much more of an edge.  Plates help, but only if they can see you.    The suppressor might give you one more shot than without before your location is discovered, but the ability to spot your adversary and move much better at night will be a huge advantage.  YMMV.

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 7:17:50 PM EDT
[#25]
I'll be another turd smasher.

How are you fixed for 'sensors' as force multipliers???

The right sensors as an adjunct to some of the other stuff here, could be show stoppers.  

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 7:30:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Concealable soft armor, Carry pistol, and appropriate training...
You are more likely to face a scenario where those are useful (e.g. economic depression with high crime) than a scenario where you can roll around with rifles and full tactical gear.

Now, if you want 95% toy/5% prep...Gen 3 NV and suppressors are pretty dang cool!
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:12:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Night vision is a force multiplier. The other items are not imo
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 12:17:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Night vision is a force multiplier. The other items are not imo
View Quote

I did gen 3 and form 1's
Then the other stuff
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 12:36:19 AM EDT
[#29]
I voted Suppressor, the wait will kill you and while waiting for it to finalize you could be saving up for the other stuff. In about 9mos to a year it will be like Christmas!  Just my .02 cents!
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 2:24:58 AM EDT
[#30]
I voted "Other". I would invest in reloading equipment and components for all the calibers you shoot commonly.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 8:08:20 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 9:57:34 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I voted "Other". I would invest in reloading equipment and components for all the calibers you shoot commonly.
View Quote

Here the problem with reloading equipment. First, the cost of components and assembling is nearing the cost of factory ammo. Second, that's thousands upon thousands of dollars and third, in a shtf situation if factory ammo isn't being produced/available then I know reloading components won't.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 9:59:51 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Well that's a no brainier, based on need and potential need, a suppressor would be right up there with a zombie invasion as far as likelihood goes.  

If I can give you some advice, it would be look at toys as toys and its nice that toys have a potential survival application.  A man doesn't need justification to buy a toy.  The enjoyment is reason enough.   God knows most of us on this forum have more guns than could ever have any survival use other than handing them out in some SciFi apocalyptic scenario.  Its not the "Why" we bought them.  Always apply the rules of 3 to your survival planning offset by most likely need.  Anything beyond that is not a need.  Its merely a want and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.  

Then it becomes neat it has a survival aspect.

Tj
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Have you been around sound suppressors?  

The biggest mistake I've seen folks do over the years is expect to slip one of these on a barrel and expect it to work.  They work pretty well on subsonic calibers/ammunitions, not so well to hardly at all on super-sonic ammunition and calibers.  The basic problem is the suppressor will suppress the powder bang but then the round breaks the sound barrier.  For example, the newer air guns that do 1,400 fps, just as well shoot a .22lr because they have the same noise level.  

They actually require a little thought to maximize their potential.  If I had to mention the two suppressed guns I've been around I like the best it was a Mach 10 .45, actually a forum member owns and a UZI designed to cycle .22lr shorts.  Both were very quiet.  All you could hear was the bolt slamming.  

5.56mm/.223 is a bear to load subsonic.  They typically use a fast powder in very low amounts which are hard to measure consistently.  That's so the bolt will still cycle.  .22lr handguns or rifles, best they can feed subonic or shorts which are subsonic, otherwise its one shot jam.  

Of course, this can be overcome.  Its just like I posted though, it takes some thought.

Tj

Yes I have pretty extensive experience with suppressors (use) in multiple calibers. This is just the first chance I've had to own one, but am wondering if there is some other gear I should get first/in place of as I prep.

Well that's a no brainier, based on need and potential need, a suppressor would be right up there with a zombie invasion as far as likelihood goes.  

If I can give you some advice, it would be look at toys as toys and its nice that toys have a potential survival application.  A man doesn't need justification to buy a toy.  The enjoyment is reason enough.   God knows most of us on this forum have more guns than could ever have any survival use other than handing them out in some SciFi apocalyptic scenario.  Its not the "Why" we bought them.  Always apply the rules of 3 to your survival planning offset by most likely need.  Anything beyond that is not a need.  Its merely a want and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.  

Then it becomes neat it has a survival aspect.

Tj

Very well said. That's actually been put better than I've ever heard it before.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 1:37:43 PM EDT
[#34]
I'd go for first a .22LR suppressor such as an AAC Element 2 for a pistol and/or a Silencerco Spectre II or Sparrow or other for a .22 rifle; then pistol/large rifle can.
The primary thought is for minimal exposure if SHTF and game if available; if I went with that Idea and wanted a larger caliber I'd go with a .30 cal can and .300 Blackout subsonics; I'll refrain from going to the dark side of SHTF.  

Other than your above high cost preps i'd invest in a PVS14 or other NV optic.
Thought being that it would be used for night watch in SHTF or E&E getting the family out of harm's way.

Body armor, very low on the list; I plan on not being involved in a firefight.  Firefights don't  always go your way.   If your family is involved in it, bad juju.  

The low cost preps such as beans, water prep should come first.  Good quality optics are always a good idea; but be very proficient with the irons.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 3:01:00 PM EDT
[#35]
If this were a sewing forum...

My guess would be the most essential prep...

Would be a sewing machine...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top