Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/25/2015 11:56:00 PM EDT
I bought these 5 gal MWC insulated coolers years ago and have not used them.....So here is a test!

This 5 gallon MWC has been in the chest freezer for a week, how long before the water rises above 32f degrees (stored inside @ room temp)???

Starting temp is -15.6C or 3.92F degrees, the house averages approximately 78F.....how many days, before the temp exceeds 32f?

Tomorrow, I will post an identical test.....but the other one will be placed outside in direct sunlight.

U.S. Military Insulator Bag
NSN: 4240-01-119-4956 tan

Stay tuned!
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 12:02:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Outdoor test:

Starting temp is -16.44C or 2.4F degrees.

87 degrees outside, 67% humidity. Cooler is on concrete in full sun, facing west.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 1:39:01 AM EDT
[#2]
[hijack]

Ok, I've asked this before, will ask it again....

When filled with an alcoholic beverage... does an MWC cocktail taste like plastic?
[/hijack]
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 3:19:35 AM EDT
[#3]
In for the data.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 8:13:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Above 32*F will occur when all the ice is melted.  The water will start to be usable at 32*F.  A slosh variable to your test plan may be beneficial. Slosh it after reaching 32 to see how much water is available for use. Plus, it will help stir the contents for a more even melt rate.

In for data.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 11:45:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
[hijack]

When filled with an alcoholic beverage... does an MWC cocktail taste like plastic?
[/hijack]
View Quote

IDK....but I do know that these things hold  two 24 packs of beer (cans) perfectly; with room on the top for two frozen 2L bottles to keep the beer cold.

Show up camping with 96 beers and you are the life of the party
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 12:25:24 PM EDT
[#6]

I've got 2 of these and use them often.

My testing involved filling one of my MWCs three-quarters full of cubed ice and then topping it off with tap water. In to the insulated cover it went and then I placed it out in the direct sun during summer. At the end of the second full day there was still ice remaining and the water was, well, ice cold. I'm sold on them.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 12:51:12 PM EDT
[#7]
12 hours in and the indoor cooler is at 34F degrees, still frozen solid.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 6:53:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Tagged for interest , Where did you get those bags ?
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 9:27:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Tagged for interest , Where did you get those bags ?
View Quote

Colemans.com , not sure if they still carry them. Search "U.S. Military Insulator Bag " and you should stumble on them.

Its a heavy canvas bag with fiberglass insulation.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 11:57:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Any update?
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 12:43:46 PM EDT
[#11]
My experience in using them all through the 90s with water cans that had cube ice in them was that they'd keep the water cool for about 24 hrs

I found them generally more useful in keeping the water can free from dust and other contamination
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 9:41:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Any update?
View Quote

Sorry about that, life got in the way.

Here it is:

The indoor (Tan) cooler is currently sitting at 1C , that's 33.8F degrees; there is a very large chuck of ice, approx 70-75% the size of MWC.

The outdoor (Olive) cooler is currently sitting at 2.4C , that's 36.32F degrees; this also has a large chuck of ice, approx 55-60% the size of the MWC.

Important to note that the outdoor cooler was started approx 12 hours after the indoor cooler. The indoor cooler test began at 11:55pm Saturday 07/25/2015 and the outdoor cooler test started at aprox 12:00pm Sunday 07/26/2015.

I am impressed, we were in the 90's yesterday and today and this cooler (Olive) has not seen any shade. I suspect at least another 24 hours of ice, perhaps more...time will tell.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 12:34:51 AM EDT
[#13]
In for the melt
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 1:50:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Not really germane to this test or climate but years ago I read/learned on here that in hot&dry climates that if the insulated carrier is significantly wetted down the evaporative cooling effects will help keep the water from reaching abient quickly. Granted we're talking about Temps well in excess of 32f but nonetheless..it's a knowledge nugget.

This applies (climate depending) to the fleece lined canteen carriers as well as these 5 gal USGI MWC carriers. It's not dramatic but it does help keep water cooler than ambient...that pile lining/insulation can be leveraged in the right situation.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:21:23 AM EDT
[#15]
So, the $40 plus shipping question is, "worth $40 plus shipping?"  Or,  are there better options out there?
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:38:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
So, the $40 plus shipping question is, "worth $40 plus shipping?"  Or,  are there better options out there?
View Quote

I don't recall seeing anything else that'll fit the military water cans
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:42:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

what is $40. plus shipping?

the cans, or the covers, or both?
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:45:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you look at ebay the covers are running around $40
Makes sense, since they're essentially Gulf War vintage now and there aren't many surplus versions around in decent shape.
The cans themselves are running high 30s each unless you buy in bulk.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 2:02:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Makes sense, since they're essentially Gulf War vintage now and there aren't many surplus versions around in decent shape.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can get them brand new for less than that from Sportsmansguide.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/new-us-military-surplus-water-carrier-cover?a=1809785
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 2:02:41 PM EDT
[#20]
yeah, sorry, the $40 was just the insulated cooler.

I was thinking I could use it with many other items if it indeed cools very well.

What say the hive?  Not worth it without the can???
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 2:11:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

You can get them brand new for less than that from Sportsmansguide.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/new-us-military-surplus-water-carrier-cover?a=1809785
View Quote

Interesting.
I was reporting what I found on Ebay after reading this thread
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:28:59 PM EDT
[#22]
We lost a lot of ice since last night!

I just took a reading on both cans and one is about done and the other is on borrowed time:

Here it is:

The indoor (Tan) cooler is currently sitting at 6.8C , that's 44.4F degrees; there is a small chuck of ice, approx 10% the size of MWC.

The outdoor (Olive) cooler is currently sitting at 11C , that's 51.8F degrees; this also has small chuck of ice, about the size of a can of beer.

So I will conclude that if you freeze the entire MWC, put it in one of these "coolers" you will have very cold water 3-4 days later (or Adult beverage).

I left room for expansion in each MWC, I estimate each can was filled with 4.5 gallons of water. It took nearly 60 hours to freeze solid in my 7 cubic foot chest freezer. Perhaps with some added insulation I could extend the ice to 5-6 days on the cooler stored indoors, IDK.

The testing is not done! I will now fill each cooler with frozen 2L bottles and repeat the same test.....STAY TUNED!

Tips/Comments/Opinions are Welcome....
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:37:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have never seen another "cooler" specific to the MWC.....and a MWC will not fit in most consumer grade coolers.

I paid $20 a piece for mine, but that was 3-4 years ago, I do recall shipping was a bear (around $20).

So I fiqure I am into each one for around $30 or so......If I were to do it again, I would gladly pay $40 for the cooler.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:38:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The cans are separate and cost about $25 each.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 7:21:30 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

So I will conclude that if you freeze the entire MWC, put it in one of these "coolers" you will have very cold water 3-4 days later (or Adult beverage).

I left room for expansion in each MWC, I estimate each can was filled with 4.5 gallons of water. It took nearly 60 hours to freeze solid in my 7 cubic foot chest freezer. Perhaps with some added insulation I could extend the ice to 5-6 days on the cooler stored indoors, IDK.

The testing is not done! I will now fill each cooler with frozen 2L bottles and repeat the same test.....STAY TUNED!

View Quote

Since you asked…

It would be nice to know what difference, if any, the insulator bag is making.  To find that out you need a control MWC.  Make up two identical MWC’s, put one in the bag and leave the second one out right next to it.  By measuring the difference between the two MWC’s as they warm up we’ll get an idea of how effective the insulator bags are.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 8:04:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Since you asked…

It would be nice to know what difference, if any, the insulator bag is making.  To find that out you need a control MWC.  Make up two identical MWC’s, put one in the bag and leave the second one out right next to it.  By measuring the difference between the two MWC’s as they warm up we’ll get an idea of how effective the insulator bags are.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Since you asked…

This will take a few days, because I have to re-freeze the MWC. You looking for an inside test or outside (or both)?
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 8:25:13 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

[hijack]

[/hijack]

View Quote

They can be used for making wine. When you're in a situation where you need to either make alcohol in one, or store alcohol in one, the residual effect on tatse isn't really a concern.

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 10:33:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

They can be used for making wine. When you're in a situation where you need to either make alcohol in one, or store alcohol in one, the residual effect on tatse isn't really a concern.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
[hijack]

[/hijack]

Well, I ask because we've been breaking glass bottles one camping, and the thought of filling up a 2.5 gallon one with Vodka had been mentioned...
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 6:42:49 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

This will take a few days, because I have to re-freeze the MWC. You looking for an inside test or outside (or both)?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Since you asked…

Either one would work, no need to do both unless you want to.  No rush.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 10:22:43 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Since you asked…

Blackoperations, I gotta give you a for doing this thread and test.

To get the best results from a side by side bag vs no-bag test the bag and the can should be near the same color.

Tan can vs tan bag or green can vs green bag
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 3:35:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

To get the best results from a side by side bag vs no-bag test the bag and the can should be near the same color.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Since you asked…

Agree, this has been one of the best threads in quite a while.  Very useful and interesting data.

BTW, I seem to recall - maybe over on the HBT forum - that Gulf War soldiers would make hooch in 5 gallon MWCs all the time.  The taste of plastic wasn't ever mentioned.  FWIW.

Link Posted: 8/3/2015 8:10:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

BTW, I seem to recall - maybe over on the HBT forum - that Gulf War soldiers would make hooch in 5 gallon MWCs all the time.  The taste of plastic wasn't ever mentioned.  FWIW.

View Quote

Thank you!

I've invested in a 2.5 gallon one (10L, so by my math, that's 6 handles and a 750... ).

We're gonna kill someone if they wash their hands with the Vodka, though...
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 10:46:57 AM EDT
[#33]
As if I needed more shit to buy. I got two covers. Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 11:29:53 AM EDT
[#34]
Nice test.

Also for those that use 5 gal water cans for camp or what not, get an extra screw on cap and modify it to accept an RV style pump faucet, I did this and it worked great, no more trying to fill up a cup or bottle with 40+ lbs, plus now kids and women can get water out of it without killing themselves.

Here is what I use, and just connected a hose to the bottom of pump to reach bottom of can. Really works well with minimal effort. Just get a hole saw, drill out the cap and screw this on.

Link Posted: 8/4/2015 12:23:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Nice test.

Also for those that use 5 gal water cans for camp or what not, get an extra screw on cap and modify it to accept an RV style pump faucet, I did this and it worked great, no more trying to fill up a cup or bottle with 40+ lbs, plus now kids and women can get water out of it without killing themselves.

Here is what I use, and just connected a hose to the bottom of pump to reach bottom of can. Really works well with minimal effort. Just get a hole saw, drill out the cap and screw this on.

http://www.rvtek.com.au/ebay/Haigh-Hand-Pump.jpg

View Quote

I just bought a couple of these for the same purpose.

Allegedly, they screw on. We'll see when I get it.
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 6:31:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Since you asked…

Sorry no photos but I have test results.

I sat a Tan MWC out in the sun on the concrete at 1pm yesterday (it sat in the chest freezer for 4 days). Starting temp was -16.1C or 3.02F degrees, was 95F degrees out yesterday, and 98F degrees out today, with a low around 77f degrees (overnight).

Today at 1pm (24 hours later) I checked the MWC and it reads 23.3C or 74F degree. Absolutely no ICE, I wish I would have check it sooner.

I did not expect this ICE to be gone this quickly, I would guess that the ice melted within 12-18 hours. I will re-test, and take a reading sooner this time (and I will use the olive drab MWC).
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 6:39:34 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Since you asked…

Just to make sure I am following you correctly. Do you speculate that the Tan vs Olive Drab bags have different insulating properties?
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 6:52:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Just to make sure I am following you correctly. Do you speculate that the Tan vs Olive Drab bags have different insulating properties?
View Quote

Not that poster, but I believe he wants to take any variable out due to one color heating up faster than the other.

ETA: like a black vs white car parked in the sun.
Link Posted: 8/7/2015 1:17:09 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Not that poster, but I believe he wants to take any variable out due to one color heating up faster than the other.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

someassemblyrequired is correct.

Blackoperations,
In your op you have a green can in a green bag and a tan can in a tan bag.  You could put the green can in the tan bag and set the tan can and the tan bag containing the green can in the sun.

Link Posted: 8/7/2015 9:45:51 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I sat a Tan MWC out in the sun on the concrete at 1pm yesterday (it sat in the chest freezer for 4 days). Starting temp was -16.1C or 3.02F degrees, was 95F degrees out yesterday, and 98F degrees out today, with a low around 77f degrees (overnight).

Today at 1pm (24 hours later) I checked the MWC and it reads 23.3C or 74F degree. Absolutely no ICE, I wish I would have check it sooner.

I did not expect this ICE to be gone this quickly, I would guess that the ice melted within 12-18 hours. I will re-test, and take a reading sooner this time (and I will use the olive drab MWC).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Since you asked…

Thanks for making the effort to do this, very informative.
Link Posted: 8/7/2015 11:32:49 PM EDT
[#41]
Thanks for doing the leg work. My two carriers came in from Sportsman's guide. They are nice. Thanks again!
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 6:31:26 PM EDT
[#42]

I just completed the second test outside. 14 hours and all the ice was melted with no cooler in full sun at 92F degrees.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top