Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 5:53:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Cheap AA solution:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00G0OVUYU/

I just got one this week. Seems like a really cool little light. Runs on 2 AAs. There's also these two:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NPLSZF8
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AJHHTDA/  
View Quote

Coleman AA lantern

This is my favorite AA lantern. I did a thread on it a few years ago. It's still a great buy.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 10:48:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 2:02:17 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

It's an amazing lantern. I bought one for the RV and it's the best I've ever bought. Good clean even light. On the lowest it's a good night light and on the brightest it's almost too bright.
That's a D battery next to it.

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m168/AR-15_Paul/Survival/Lantern_zpsjpryreo2.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

It's an amazing lantern. I bought one for the RV and it's the best I've ever bought. Good clean even light. On the lowest it's a good night light and on the brightest it's almost too bright.

Quoted:

how big is it?

That's a D battery next to it.

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m168/AR-15_Paul/Survival/Lantern_zpsjpryreo2.jpg

Hey Paul,  how do you like those Sunlabz batteries?  I just ordered a bunch... I have high hopes for them.

Link Posted: 7/19/2015 3:05:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
<snip>
Coleman AA lantern

This is my favorite AA lantern. I did a thread on it a few years ago. It's still a great buy.
View Quote

I loved my Coleman when I first got it, but once I got the Siege there was no comparison, the
Coleman's light is harsh with a lot of glare and hotspots.

This is tangential to the discussion, but one thing I've not been fond of about the LED lanterns is how harsh the
light is -- the color temperature is very high, so you get white/bluish-white light. This is good for detail work, but
it lacks the ambiance of candles or fuel-based lanterns on a low setting. In short, it's not a very romantic light
or soothing after a long day.

I pondered this for a while and remembered my days long ago in technical theater work. There are filters,
specifically gel filters called "color temperature orange" or CTO, that are used to make a scene look like it's
lit by candles or campfire. Sure enough, Amazon carries the stuff in giant 24x24" sheets.

I cut some to fit inside the globe of a Siege -- actually so there's two layers.-- and it instantly gives a nice, rich,
soothing yellow-orange light that's easy to relax with and that is romance-friendly. It's definitely a worthwhile
mod that's easily done and reversible. I keep one Siege with the CTO filter around for times I want a more
comforable light.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 5:25:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Could be a pretty awesome hurricane season lantern. (Or other extended power outage event) Charge with solar during the day, light a room all night.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 10:11:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
just remove and add 2) cr123a primary batts.  

AA, AAA, D, C etc. batteries are old school and suck by comparison to modern cells.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Call me when they make the same thing that takes AA's...

This for me. It looks like a neat idea, but I don't like depending on internal-rechargeables unless they can be swapped out with other batteries. IE, our gmrs radios use the factory rechargeable battery packs, but in a pinch they can use AAA's if need be.

If there's a substitute or adapter for the 18650, that'd be a tempting light, but I don't know of any...

AA, AAA, D, C etc. batteries are old school and suck by comparison to modern cells.

Didn't know you could do that. Since 18650's are 3.7v and two CR123's (in series like that) would be nearly double that, I didn't realize that was an option. But you're right - according to the fenix website it is an acceptable substitution.  http://fenixtactical.com/fenix-cl25r.html

Crap. Now I may need to buy one or two of these simply because of the fact that I don't currently HAVE any cr-123 lanterns. My current ones are AA and D cell, and more options is undeniably better...

As far as the other batteries being 'old-school', so are many very viable things. The 1911 pre-dates AA batteries by more than a half-century, and there's actually less than ten years' difference in age between the AA battery and the AR system. Both have been improved over the years, both have evolved, and both still serve very well.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 10:49:00 PM EDT
[#7]
I always look at it as what are you going to be able to come across when TSHF, by barter or scavenging? There might be several old school choices, or maybe none?

Link Posted: 7/20/2015 12:32:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Rechargeable trumps commonality in this situation.  You can pull the 18650 out and pop a fresh one in any time. With my solar panels I can recharge this thing for years without issue. I am not aware of any AA lanterns with on board charging with the massive capacity of the 18650.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Call me when they make the same thing that takes AA's...

This for me. It looks like a neat idea, but I don't like depending on internal-rechargeables unless they can be swapped out with other batteries. IE, our gmrs radios use the factory rechargeable battery packs, but in a pinch they can use AAA's if need be.

If there's a substitute or adapter for the 18650, that'd be a tempting light, but I don't know of any...

They may suck......but they are EVERYWHERE, when I can walk into a 7/11 and buy an 18650 battery I might think about it......if I was able to use AA batteries as well I would maybe think about it.  At this point its meh

Rechargeable trumps commonality in this situation.  You can pull the 18650 out and pop a fresh one in any time. With my solar panels I can recharge this thing for years without issue. I am not aware of any AA lanterns with on board charging with the massive capacity of the 18650.

So what happens when your charger or solar panel take a dump........I'm going to have to disagree, commonality is EXACTLY what I want for a SHTF situation.

Do love your reviews though and think it's a cool lantern just not for me
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 6:23:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

So what happens when your charger or solar panel take a dump........I'm going to have to disagree, commonality is EXACTLY what I want for a SHTF situation.

View Quote

Don't you mean, "what if my all of my redundant recharging solutions all take a dump?"
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 6:29:52 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Don't you mean, "what if my all of my redundant recharging solutions all take a dump?"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Even if they all do, CR123s have a hell of a shelf life, and the lantern is still useful.  I have a couple different solar chargers, and one coupled with this lantern would be pretty awesome for long camping trips.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 6:39:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I always look at it as what are you going to be able to come across when TSHF, by barter or scavenging? There might be several old school choices, or maybe none?

View Quote

Both bartering and scavenging are things you HOPE to be able to do after shtf.

Right now you can work on recharging systems for both nicad and lithium ion batteries. Learn to use and maintain them now so you are not learning when you need them.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 5:51:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Right now you can work on recharging systems for both nicad and lithium ion batteries. Learn to use and maintain them now so you are not learning when you need them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seriously. How likely is a SHTF that we never get batteries again? If worried about that, have some eneloops and AA devices around(who doesn't already?).

For now, the lantern batman posted is one of the most useful lanterns I've come across. If I ever get to go backpacking again(small children) I will buy one. I may just get one anyway at some point, although flashlights and headlamps are more useful to me now.

My EDC flashlight? Lithium secondary 14650, uses AA's just fine. My next headlamp will be the same, if I don't move to 18650 size. Buy what works for you know, look to SHTF devices as secondary use. I've got D-cell LED mag lights scattered around, that doesn't mean everything has to be the same. I have AA adapters for using eneloops for those too.

Or, screw having nice things right now or for personal SHTF events, plan for the only SHTF in your life to be an asteroid or massive EMP. Lighten up, people. Hey batman, keep posting these and spending my money. Unless I find something better I'll be ordering a few UC30's shortly.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 7:09:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Seriously! It doesn't have to be a major catastrophe to not be able to buy batteries! A simple grid down stops you from buying anything. (gas, food, water, and yes batteries) A bad ice storm can easily take the grid down for a long time.................

Link Posted: 7/20/2015 8:57:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Interesting. A little rich for my blood, I think... but I tossed it on my wish list.

We did use my buddies D-cell lantern exclusively on my last camping trip, because I was lazy and didn't want to replace the mantles on my Propane lanterns.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 9:43:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Coleman AA lantern

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cheap AA solution:

I just got one this week. Seems like a really cool little light. Runs on 2 AAs. There's also these two:

Coleman AA lantern

Yes, I have a number of these Colemans based in no small part on your recco.  This other light seems nice but a little pricey, especially as I have 2-3 Colemans still in the package.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 10:05:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Yes, I have a number of these Colemans based in no small part on your recco.  This other light seems nice but a little pricey, especially as I have 2-3 Colemans still in the package.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cheap AA solution:

Coleman AA lantern

I have a USB charger for my Eneloops so I can run the Coleman on rechargeables the same way, not to mention my Maha running on 12v. The coleman just puts out less light for a shorter time. Both do their jobs pretty well.

The magnet on the bottom of the Fenix lantern and its huge output gives it a bit of an edge for a mechanical breakdown on the side of the road.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 11:01:09 PM EDT
[#17]
just ordered a Streamlight 44941 Siege AA Lantern.

see how it goes.....

I am an 18650 user but I have a butt load of rechargeable AA's for my kids.

I do not think I have ever seen such a high review rating of an item with that many reviews.

Got it off Amazon
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 9:49:19 AM EDT
[#18]
Hey guys-

On a related note, where are you finding the best deals on a reputable/protected 18650? I need a few more. My son-in-law threw out the cells I bought him, because they weren't marked "rechargeable!"
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 11:52:45 AM EDT
[#19]
Groovy.
Tag for flashlight and battery nerd talk.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 12:10:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Hey guys-

On a related note, where are you finding the best deals on a reputable/protected 18650? I need a few more. My son-in-law threw out the cells I bought him, because they weren't marked "rechargeable!"
View Quote

I'm going to give the Orbtronic 3400 mah 18650 a try. They are supposed to be Panasonic inside. I have been using the Fenix brand with good results.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 3:00:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I'm going to give the Orbtronic 3400 mah 18650 a try. They are supposed to be Panasonic inside. I have been using the Fenix brand with good results.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hey guys-

Thanks, Bats. I ordered 4 of those this morning.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 7:39:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Hey guys-

View Quote

http://illumn.com/
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 3:52:52 PM EDT
[#23]
I just received the Fenix today, it's amazing the light this little lantern can throw.
I also received a Streamlight "Siege" lantern (D-cell version).
It feels very solidly made.
Can't wait for the sun to go down tonight, so I can really try them out.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 8:44:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Tag
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 9:20:24 PM EDT
[#25]
nice, affordable too

any idea how long battery will stay charged if stored?
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 9:24:01 PM EDT
[#26]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hey guys-

http://illumn.com/

Good resource here too.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 7:52:24 AM EDT
[#27]
The lowest lumen is:

Low (Moonlight) 0.8 Lumens:  18650 battery: 600 hours**; CR123A batteries: 500 hours

And it runs on *both* 18650 and CR123A, which gives it a lot of flexibility.   I have both including a ton of 18650s that you can recharge and theoretically never run out, especially with solar.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 8:22:22 AM EDT
[#28]
I bought 3 of.these when they first launched and have taken them on a few camping trips at this point.

They are truly excellent and the magnet was the biggest unintended bonus.  I immediately replaced the cells with 3400 ones and kept the original as spares.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 7:18:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Got mine today.. really like it. My only complaint is minor and more of a design change than anything. I'd have liked if the top loop would have been a carabiner type clip like on the Streamlight Siege, rather than just a metal loop. The clips on the Siege have really come in handy for me. Easily fixed on this lantern with the addition of a cheap carabiner, but would have been nice to be built in. Great buy, though. Little lantern throws a lot of light.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 7:39:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 7:45:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top