Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/4/2015 2:22:03 AM EDT
I acquired two Jerry cans that have been in the family for over 30 years. They have held diesel and I intend to use them for gasoline. There is some surface rust on the outside but no pitting, the insides are in good shape but need cleaning

What do I use to clean them out?

one is dented up a bit is there a way to pop it back out?

I have just the two cans and no donkey dick... where can I find a spout for them?

I traded a brand new EPA approved POS for them... now it wont take me forever to pour 5 gallons of gas in the jeep when I'm hunting.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 8:41:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Just dump the diesel out and fill them with gas no need to do anything else.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 9:20:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Copper BB's with gas will remove the loose scale and debris inside the cans.
Put in a good amount of BB's and 1/2 gallon of gas and shake the shit out of it.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 9:51:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

^  ^  ^
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:14:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Put in a good amount of BB's and 1/2 gallon of gas and shake the shit out of it.
View Quote
BB's... how about 3/4" minus gravel, i.e. concrete stone then like a POR-15 coating, you can also use the chunk of re-bar suspended in the tank attached to the positive side of the battery charger, the can attached to the negative, filled with water and washing soda, not baking soda.

I might have gotten the polarity backwards, look it up.

Donkey Dongs are hard to find, and I do know what you are talking about.

Rancher
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:57:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
BB's... how about 3/4" minus gravel, i.e. concrete stone then like a POR-15 coating, you can also use the chunk of re-bar suspended in the tank attached to the positive side of the battery charger, the can attached to the negative, filled with water and washing soda, not baking soda.

Rancher
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rancher

I think I'll use the re-bar method... I know people use it to clean rusted out rifles and I have heard it works well. I need seals for the caps too.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 5:42:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah just flush them out and use them. If you put much time and effort in them to restore them you mght do better to spend a few bucks and just get a couple of the new nato cans that are coated inside..
I'm assuming the ones you got have the old round threaded caps? The new nato cans have a much better cap - they won't leak even if turned upside down etc.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 6:24:15 PM EDT
[#7]
OMG diesel in a gas can Oh Teh Noes What To Do?   Pour the diesel into your good buddy Earl's diesel brodozer. Pug gas in can and enjoy your new gas can.

Surface rust?  Wire brush and touch up paint, or prep and paint the whole can.  Now enjoy your shiny new gas can.

What to clean the inside?  The eight point seven drops of diesel that might remain after you fuel Earl's brodozer will be so diluted by the gas that you put into the can that it will not matter

How to pop a dent on a USGI jerrycan?  Try about a half gallon of gas in the can, seal the cap, and set the can in the sun...I bet the dent will pop out when the can gets warm.

I have no donkey dick... where can I find a spout for them?  Make your own donkey dick for less than $20, and get a shaker siphon.  My friend posted instructions for making a donkey dick on page 2 and page 1 of the Fuel Can Oracle.  Some guy I know posted a video of a shaker siphon in operation on page 1 of the Fuel Can Oracle.

Enjoy your new gas cans.  I should spank you because I am jealous, but you would just like it so I won't.

Quoted:
I acquired two Jerry cans that have been in the family for over 30 years. They have held diesel and I intend to use them for gasoline. There is some surface rust on the outside but no pitting, the insides are in good shape but need cleaning

I have just the two cans and no donkey dick... where can I find a spout for them?

I traded a brand new EPA approved POS for them... now it wont take me forever to pour 5 gallons of gas in the jeep when I'm hunting.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/5/2015 9:31:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

FPNI.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 11:05:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
OMG diesel in a gas can Oh Teh Noes What To Do?   Pour the diesel into your good buddy Earl's diesel brodozer. Pug gas in can and enjoy your new gas can.

Surface rust?  Wire brush and touch up paint, or prep and paint the whole can.  Now enjoy your shiny new gas can.

What to clean the inside?  The eight point seven drops of diesel that might remain after you fuel Earl's brodozer will be so diluted by the gas that you put into the can that it will not matter

How to pop a dent on a USGI jerrycan?  Try about a half gallon of gas in the can, seal the cap, and set the can in the sun...I bet the dent will pop out when the can gets warm.

I have no donkey dick... where can I find a spout for them?  Make your own donkey dick for less than $20, and get a shaker siphon.  My friend posted instructions for making a donkey dick on page 2 and page 1 of the Fuel Can Oracle.  Some guy I know posted a video of a shaker siphon in operation on page 1 of the Fuel Can Oracle.

Enjoy your new gas cans.  I should spank you because I am jealous, but you would just like it so I won't.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You have issues.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top