User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 4:29:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Is Greece a forced amalgamation of different ethnicities and religions that hate each other but have been forced to live together under a now collapsing iron rule?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I am certain, Greece will go through what I went through in Yugoslavia. Civil unrest, economic collapse, then civil war.

Mark my words.

Is Greece a forced amalgamation of different ethnicities and religions that hate each other but have been forced to live together under a now collapsing iron rule?

That's exactly what I was thinking - apples and oranges, that is.

Greece seems pretty homogeneous, relatively speaking, from what little I know about Greek society.  From the Greeks that I do know personally, it seems that family ties are very strong.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 4:36:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

+1.... If you don't have a thread on it, I would love to hear about your experience in Yugoslavia.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I am certain, Greece will go through what I went through in Yugoslavia. Civil unrest, economic collapse, then civil war.

Mark my words.

Surely you have a thread on this?

+1.... If you don't have a thread on it, I would love to hear about your experience in Yugoslavia.

I would have to sit down and go back some 23 years ago, and go through some painful memories, and be able to recite dates, and events correctly, and that would require some time. But, I plan on doing it. It's really not that spectacular. I wasn't involved in combat, since I was too young, but I did shoot some guns, man a AA gun, and had to evade a tank. I had a mortar hit about 20ft away from me. I was shot at, but never hit. But, I'll save the details for my own thread.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 4:42:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

LOL.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mark my words.

LOL.

Are you saying that Greece is?  Or Yugoslavia wasn't?  I'm asking.

Improper use of "lol", -1 internet.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 4:44:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 5:05:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Greeks are pretty culturally homogeneous, but they do all distrust each other outside of family, or are at least jealous, or assume everyone is corrupt, and cheats however they can. Although not enough to base a civil war off of.

Seems to me the main stress is from New Dawn, and other fringe parties using the situation to their advantage, and that Greece is one of the main routes of African and ME immigration into the rest of Europe.

I think rather than Yugoslavia, a more apt analogy is the Wiemar Republic of Germany post WWI, except lacking the resources, or the culture capable of turning into anything resembling Nazi Germany.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mark my words.

That's exactly what I was thinking - apples and oranges, that is.

Greece seems pretty homogeneous, relatively speaking, from what little I know about Greek society.  From the Greeks that I do know personally, it seems that family ties are very strong.

Greeks are pretty culturally homogeneous, but they do all distrust each other outside of family, or are at least jealous, or assume everyone is corrupt, and cheats however they can. Although not enough to base a civil war off of.

Seems to me the main stress is from New Dawn, and other fringe parties using the situation to their advantage, and that Greece is one of the main routes of African and ME immigration into the rest of Europe.

I think rather than Yugoslavia, a more apt analogy is the Wiemar Republic of Germany post WWI, except lacking the resources, or the culture capable of turning into anything resembling Nazi Germany.

Could the situation there open the door for Russian influence?  That would be rich...
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 5:06:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mark my words.

LOL.

Your reasons why the war started. Generally, 99% of people, Serbs, Croats, and Muslims got along just fine. Hatred was developed during the start of the war and after. Yes, there was nationalism, and communism that attributed to it. And no one forced anyone to live together. The collapse was about a failing economy, and nationalists coming into power, and using religion, ethnicity, and landgrab as a means of achieving power and altering the constitution or ignoring it.

Link Posted: 7/7/2015 6:19:31 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Your reasons why the war started. Generally, 99% of people, Serbs, Croats, and Muslims got along just fine. Hatred was developed during the start of the war and after. Yes, there was nationalism, and communism that attributed to it. And no one forced anyone to live together. The collapse was about a failing economy, and nationalists coming into power, and using religion, ethnicity, and landgrab as a means of achieving power and altering the constitution or ignoring it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mark my words.

LOL.

Gee, where have I heard these things before.....

Link Posted: 7/7/2015 6:26:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mark my words.

LOL.

Must feel a little like Deja vu living here now...
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 6:41:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes. If I had to channel similarities, Obama is like Milosevic, and the blacks and liberals are like some of his fanatic Serb "nationalist" that feel like the rest of the country owes them something, even though they're in power, and are bleeding the rest of the republics (ie states) dry of funds. So he gives them speeches, and promises . Riles them up. They become emboldened. Suddendly your nice neighbours want to kill you. Even though you had coffee with them just weeks prior. Then there is the disarmament, and changing of the Yugoslav constitution to achieve military superiority over the other states, due to "unruly" citizens who don't want to be part of his regime. He pits one group after another. One is better than the other, but it's not you. Shots are fired. You're the bad guy, because you're just protecting yourself. Doesn't matter, you're not like them. You have different names, you look different.

Similar, but not quite the same. I can go on..

Link Posted: 7/7/2015 7:33:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Yes. If I had to channel similarities, Obama is like Milosevic, and the blacks and liberals are like some of his fanatic Serb "nationalist" that feel like the rest of the country owes them something, even though they're in power, and are bleeding the rest of the republics (ie states) dry of funds. So he gives them speeches, and promises . Riles them up. They become emboldened. Suddendly your nice neighbours want to kill you. Even though you had coffee with them just weeks prior. Then there is the disarmament, and changing of the Yugoslav constitution to achieve military superiority over the other states, due to "unruly" citizens who don't want to be part of his regime. He pits one group after another. One is better than the other, but it's not you. Shots are fired. You're the bad guy, because you're just protecting yourself. Doesn't matter, you're not like them. You have different names, you look different.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seriously, you need to start a thread. We don't care if you get the dates exactly right. You have first hand experience that we need to hear about on this board. Just like Ferfal's experience it could be invaluable.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 7:42:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Seriously, you need to start a thread. We don't care if you get the dates exactly right. You have first hand experience that we need to hear about on this board. Just like Ferfal's experience it could be invaluable.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who's ferfal? I know there is another guy from Bosnia that posted an indepth survival SHTF on different forums, and I've seen that.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 7:54:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Who's ferfal? I know there is another guy from Bosnia that posted an indepth survival SHTF on different forums, and I've seen that.
View Quote

Ferfal is a regular here that has a write up on the Argentina collapse that is practically required reading for preppers. His story would be a little different than yours but probably similar in many ways as well.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 7:58:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you thinking of the guy that does SHTFschool?
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 8:02:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Not to derail but this thread would be epic...

I read the other one you are referring to and it was great. I think we would all love to hear your story.

V
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 12:49:42 AM EDT
[#15]
I would enjoy some more reading. Please start a thread!
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 7:43:58 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thers been a few over the years...and it seems the last few years theyve become more common.

I cant recall there names anymore. But each was interesting in its own right...

Dodge sniper fire...trade cigarettes...dodge more sniper fire...cook on a homemade gas stove ..

The civil unrest /war side can be refreshing information vs "the store was out of steaks today and gas went up in price " stuff that fills in most "collapse" threads.  lol
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 10:32:41 AM EDT
[#17]
The real problem (it seems to me) is that the idiot masses will beg politicians to save them from the situation the masses elected politicians to create in the first place.
Just like every other nation that has gone through this and (unfortunately) just like most voters here will when the time comes.

My only point of optimism in the U.S. is that our states retain enough sovereignty that we may end up with splits happening that result in multi-state alliances forming smaller nations and telling the feds to stuff it.  There would be pain and probably war but hopefully the end result will still be pockets of freedom and prosperity when the dust settles.  

Look at Slovenia as one tiny example of a state that was able to disentangle itself from the chaos and strife of Yugoslavia and emerged politically & economically stable.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top