Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/30/2015 11:33:39 AM EDT
On a recent trip, I saw from the highway a shipping container that was about 10 or 12 feet wide.

There was a standard 8 foot wide container close to it so it was pretty easy to compare widths.

Considering that an 8 foot container is a minimal size to try to live in, we do a lot, this 10 foot one would really make a great BOCabin.

Does anyone know anything abt them?

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:52:55 AM EDT
[#1]
I suspect it contained a specialized piece of equipment. As far as I know there is not a widebody connex you will easily find. Intermodal infrastructure is built around the standard width.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:27:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Google is your friend...

Link

Link2
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 12:08:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Longer oversize containers are available.  And there is a 'wide body' intermodal made in Australia and Europe where the corrugations are outward rather than the worldwide inward... this gives a bit more room inside... I think it's about 2 inches... and they were designed that way so that pallets would pack properly inside.  Since the frames are the same size as standard containers these things still stack properly with other containers of the same length... but the shipper has to watch how they are stacked as rows to close together tend to crush the sides in.
Perhaps you saw one of these?

Look for a so-called Pallet Wide container.

Or, if you don't mind going to the 53 footers, they are about 6 inches wider than a standard, or a high-cube (which is just taller than a standard), in addition to the extra length and height.

Mom used to work for Seatrain then OOCL in Oakland.  Amazing the things you learn from your mother.

Link Posted: 7/1/2015 12:30:22 AM EDT
[#4]
This is what I saw and am looking for...

10' wide x 25' long.

This

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 5:21:50 AM EDT
[#5]
That's a big container.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 11:11:10 AM EDT
[#6]
I think they are called "High Cube" containers
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 8:36:35 PM EDT
[#7]
What's the additional cost for the 10? If I can do two 8's and a large family room/kitchen between the two with more traditional contruction............location and costs is what make these dudes attractive. being on the east coast vs colorado makes these seem like a valid option. Now, is it chepaer to get two 8's for the price of a 10? I really want to do inexpensive off grid, after the kids are out of college..........
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 8:54:51 PM EDT
[#8]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

What's the additional cost for the 10? If I can do two 8's and a large family room/kitchen between the two with more traditional contruction............location and costs is what make these dudes attractive. being on the east coast vs colorado makes these seem like a valid option. Now, is it chepaer to get two 8's for the price of a 10? I really want to do inexpensive off grid, after the kids are out of college..........
View Quote
Look at the insulated ones, prefinished inside and ac on the end.

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 10:19:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I think they are called "High Cube" containers
View Quote

high cubes are only 1 foot higher - 8 ft is standard for a container ship unless they ship it as break bulk
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 12:53:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

That's a big container.
View Quote

More room for moar ammo!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top