BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 7:38:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

No. Just.. no. The world didnt start with you nor will it end with you. Whenever an empire or great nation went down the rest of the world carried on.
I know it breaks some people's heart to be told this (shit, its like telling kids Santa doesn’t really exist) , but you're not as special as you think you are.
Dont worry though, so far its been a slow, brick by brick deconstruction rather than a collapse, while other world powers gain more strength.
FerFAL
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Snip

FerFAL

When one of the most militarily advanced, economically stable countries is tits up, the rest of the world will be too, and it will be worse there

It wont solve a damn thing

No. Just.. no. The world didnt start with you nor will it end with you. Whenever an empire or great nation went down the rest of the world carried on.
I know it breaks some people's heart to be told this (shit, its like telling kids Santa doesn’t really exist) , but you're not as special as you think you are.
Dont worry though, so far its been a slow, brick by brick deconstruction rather than a collapse, while other world powers gain more strength.
FerFAL

He didnt say that the world would vanish in a puff of smoke all he is saying is that that things will be much more unstable place and it would be for an unforeseeable amount of time.

Link Posted: 7/1/2015 7:42:09 PM EDT
[#2]

They continue to trade and sell with the rest of the world.  Our economy is debt based and inflationary. The chinese are developing trade partnerships worldwide.  We are in decline.

china shits where it eats, if they cant figure out how to do what they are doing without the horrendous pollution and keep the costs low too then I really wouldn't worry a whole lot about them.  

-and, eventually the average chinese citizen is going to realize that they are slaves in everything but name so one way or another the problem will solve itself
View Quote

Maybe.  The US will be long gone by then however I am afraid.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 10:03:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

They continue to trade and sell with the rest of the world.  Our economy is debt based and inflationary. The chinese are developing trade partnerships worldwide.  We are in decline.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

china shits where it eats, if they cant figure out how to do what they are doing without the horrendous pollution and keep the costs low too then I really wouldn't worry a whole lot about them.  

-and, eventually the average chinese citizen is going to realize that they are slaves in everything but name so one way or another the problem will solve itself

you could very well be right but I'm staying.  

Either to A. die of old age before it happens

B. be part of restoring a republic

or C. carry out a scorched earth policy

Link Posted: 7/1/2015 11:53:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 12:56:31 PM EDT
[#5]
And this mysterious land of wonderful-ness is....?

Or is it another Tuscany bit from Seinfeld...?

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 1:19:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I am.  This is a lost cause.  Just curious if anyone else is/has considered leaving the US for a more stable life?
View Quote

Although some people who aren't what you would consider "world travelers" think that conditions in the USA are bad........we have it pretty damn good compared to the rest of teh world. We are spoiled here in the US.

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 1:53:41 PM EDT
[#7]
NVM
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 2:38:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

<Snip grandpa>

Slink away if you want. I'm staying RIGHT DAMN HERE.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 4:10:45 PM EDT
[#9]
:)......
Yip oh...ahh...ohhh

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 4:14:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Thx protus.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 4:38:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Well edit yours...

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 4:49:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Although some people who aren't what you would consider "world travelers" think that conditions in the USA are bad........we have it pretty damn good compared to the rest of teh world. We are spoiled here in the US.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I am.  This is a lost cause.  Just curious if anyone else is/has considered leaving the US for a more stable life?

Most of the developed world is pretty spoiled. Its understandable. I think its the other way around thought. Its people that barely left their State let alone their country who tend to think everywhere else stinks.
I was talking to a well known survival author yesterday who was inquiring about other countries, seemed takiing very seriously the idea of leaving the USA. Depending on what you are looking for you may find it, or not.
FerFAL
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 7:01:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Most of the developed world is pretty spoiled. Its understandable. I think its the other way around thought. Its people that barely left their State let alone their country who tend to think everywhere else stinks.
I was talking to a well known survival author yesterday who was inquiring about other countries, seemed takiing very seriously the idea of leaving the USA. Depending on what you are looking for you may find it, or not.
FerFAL
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FerFAL

Couldn't disagree more.

Name a country with more gun rights, better medical system, freedom and ability to make $ if you want?  Can go from artic conditions to tropical, desert to eastern woodlands.  Same language, same currency, same basic level of safety.

For those who think the grass is greener, please go and try it.  From my personal oversea experiences and information obtained from some very worldly people whom I trust (couple British ships captains - ocean going guys, couple other world travelers, some military folk who've been over seas - not just the sand box) USA is by far the best place to live.

Why do the wealthy from around the world come to America when they get dangerously sick?

The rest of the world doesn't necessarily stink.  It's just not as welcoming as the states.  Sometimes very very much less welcoming and more dangerous...

Anyway, that's just my opinion, man....based on experience.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 8:11:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Couldn't disagree more.

Name a country with more gun rights, better medical system, freedom and ability to make $ if you want?  Can go from artic conditions to tropical, desert to eastern woodlands.  Same language, same currency, same basic level of safety.

For those who think the grass is greener, please go and try it.  From my personal oversea experiences and information obtained from some very worldly people whom I trust (couple British ships captains - ocean going guys, couple other world travelers, some military folk who've been over seas - not just the sand box) USA is by far the best place to live.

Why do the wealthy from around the world come to America when they get dangerously sick?

The rest of the world doesn't necessarily stink.  It's just not as welcoming as the states.  Sometimes very very much less welcoming and more dangerous...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FerFAL

Couldn't disagree more.

And mine based on experience is quite the opposite of yours.  No judgement from me, but you definitely are part of the "ain't nuthin better" crowd.   And that is fine, not trying to be an ass or "mysterious" just was inquisitive.  There are many places out there that are just fine to live in.  Guns are fun and great but they do not define me.   The man is the weapon.  The gun is a tool.   These days in american society so many think that having the coolest toys on the block makes you a bad ass.   Well I can say I would rather hang with that guy that really knows his crap and only has what he needs rather than with the guy who has everything but really does not know how to really use it or has never BTDT.  

Again, please do not misconstrue my opinion as an attack on you or anyone else.   Seems this place is plenty full of juvenile game players and that is fine.  Most make fun of what they do not understand or lack the courage to try.  

My "second home" will remain nameless for the time being.  

To clear things up for some:  I own everything outright with exception of my home.  That will change soon, real soon.  I have plenty of everything, guns, ammo, food, land to survive on, transport/BOVs etc.  

Most here can say the same.  

What I am asking to people is this:

If the USA becomes untenable and you do not desire to see your family cut down, do you:

1.  Have passports for everyone;

2.  Have a safe place to go to;

3.  Have a way to get there;

4.  Have some form of currency (hard or NON USD)  or a job waiting to carry you and your family through those times?

If not, why?

Thanks to all.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 8:34:48 PM EDT
[#15]

And mine based on experience is quite the opposite of yours. No judgement from me, but you definitely are part of the "ain't nuthin better" crowd. And that is fine, not trying to be an ass or "mysterious" just was inquisitive. There are many places out there that are just fine to live in. Guns are fun and great but they do not define me. The man is the weapon. The gun is a tool. These days in american society so many think that having the coolest toys on the block makes you a bad ass. Well I can say I would rather hang with that guy that really knows his crap and only has what he needs rather than with the guy who has everything but really does not know how to really use it or has never BTDT.

Again, please do not misconstrue my opinion as an attack on you or anyone else. Seems this place is plenty full of juvenile game players and that is fine. Most make fun of what they do not understand or lack the courage to try.
View Quote

Two opinions clash....those that disagree with your views are wrong and juvenile.....

I love the interweb. Lol..

If you feel the way you do....leave. just like those that chose to stay.

To some of us we dont want to leave no matter what and will fight on.

Does tbis negate our safty and that of family . Yes.

But most of us with families should have already had that "sit down" on what their end goal is.

You just dont seem to grasp that yet......theres just some folks who will not run.

You want folks to answer questions but honestly cant say what your plan is...

Because i mean id be like me saying

Shtf im going to canada why ...well im legal there...got my paperz ...got two homes and over 100 acres at my disposal ..one as an income property...already got an account there with us and canadian funds........

Do you know where in canada....trust me....its a small blip on a map...i could give two shits if half this forum moved there...

Same goes for any super secert place you hint at. No one actaully cares...but it could help some go

" well fuck me...old recondo here is on to something great idea...now i understand..."

Or

"Wow what a freaking bad idea thatd be ...he is a (insert coc violation )......."

Somehow i think you do not want to hear the later....

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 8:37:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Nope! I'm not going anywhere... I'm not giving up yet.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 8:54:10 PM EDT
[#17]
There is no were else in the world that has gun laws remotely matching America. We are also the best in terms of housing and vehicles. Everything else? That's a toss up. Me personally I'd like to spend a few years in New Zealand, probably the 3rd best gun laws in the world and overall a nice little place.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 8:56:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Two opinions clash....those that disagree with your views are wrong and juvenile.....

But most of us with families should have already had that "sit down" on what their end goal is.

You just dont seem to grasp that yet......theres just some folks who will not run.

Shtf im going to canada why ...well im legal there...got my paperz ...got two homes and over 100 acres at my disposal ..one as an income property...already got an account there with us and canadian funds........

Do you know where in canada....trust me....its a small blip on a map...i could give two shits if half this forum moved there...

Same goes for any super secert place you hint at. No one actaully cares...but it could help some go

" well fuck me...old recondo here is on to something great idea...now i understand..."
Or
"Wow what a freaking bad idea thatd be ...he is a (insert coc violation )......."

View All Quotes
Quoted:

And mine based on experience is quite the opposite of yours. No judgement from me, but you definitely are part of the "ain't nuthin better" crowd. And that is fine, not trying to be an ass or "mysterious" just was inquisitive. There are many places out there that are just fine to live in. Guns are fun and great but they do not define me. The man is the weapon. The gun is a tool. These days in american society so many think that having the coolest toys on the block makes you a bad ass. Well I can say I would rather hang with that guy that really knows his crap and only has what he needs rather than with the guy who has everything but really does not know how to really use it or has never BTDT.

Again, please do not misconstrue my opinion as an attack on you or anyone else. Seems this place is plenty full of juvenile game players and that is fine. Most make fun of what they do not understand or lack the courage to try.

Or

Actually the "juvenile" part I was referring to was the 3rd grade let's make fun of others that we don't agree with crowd.  So nothing is clashing at all.

So Protus, care to answer any of the questions I asked above?
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 8:57:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
There is no were else in the world that has gun laws remotely matching America. We are also the best in terms of housing and vehicles. Everything else? That's a toss up. Me personally I'd like to spend a few years in New Zealand, probably the 3rd best gun laws in the world and overall a nice little place.
View Quote

I know several NZ'rs and yes, it is a beautiful country and quite nice.  Gun laws are not everything though in my book.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 9:27:19 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Actually the "juvenile" part I was referring to was the 3rd grade let's make fun of others that we don't agree with crowd.  So nothing is clashing at all.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Or

Yes to all of them.

But only because my family is from there.

Im not leaving anytime soon....

Ive worked my ass off to have what i have...i aint rich...just learned from my mistakes and refuse to be part of the problem...

To up root in chaotic times would suck...but its doable.

I had my sit down with family years ago...they know where i stand....

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 11:15:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

And mine based on experience is quite the opposite of yours.  No judgement from me, but you definitely are part of the "ain't nuthin better" crowd.   And that is fine, not trying to be an ass or "mysterious" just was inquisitive.  There are many places out there that are just fine to live in.  Guns are fun and great but they do not define me.   The man is the weapon.  The gun is a tool.   These days in american society so many think that having the coolest toys on the block makes you a bad ass.   Well I can say I would rather hang with that guy that really knows his crap and only has what he needs rather than with the guy who has everything but really does not know how to really use it or has never BTDT.  

Again, please do not misconstrue my opinion as an attack on you or anyone else.   Seems this place is plenty full of juvenile game players and that is fine.  Most make fun of what they do not understand or lack the courage to try.  

To clear things up for some:  I own everything outright with exception of my home.  That will change soon, real soon.  I have plenty of everything, guns, ammo, food, land to survive on, transport/BOVs etc.  

If the USA becomes untenable and you do not desire to see your family cut down, do you:

4.  Have some form of currency (hard or NON USD)  or a job waiting to carry you and your family through those times?

If not, why?

Thanks to all.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FerFAL

Couldn't disagree more.

If not, why?

Thanks to all.

If things get that bad, air travel won't exist, border crossings will likely be prohibited, your gold is going to get confiscated, etc etc.

You really haven't thought this through.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 1:08:52 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

When one of the most militarily advanced, economically stable countries is tits up, the rest of the world will be too, and it will be worse there

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Snip

FerFAL

Conditions may be as good or better in the U.S. As anywhere in the world, but there are also lots of places that are small and homogeneous and the people don't hate each other. Community is important, and small non-diverse countries do that better.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 1:12:42 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

^^There it is^^

Plain and simple, that thought and principle goes back to the 1700's
View All Quotes
Quoted:
protus

I've worked hard for my lil slice of pie...I plan to enjoy it while I can..

I

^^There it is^^

Plain and simple, that thought and principle goes back to the 1700's

The first people who came here were fleeing their native country not staying and fighting. You must hate the pilgrims.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 1:27:31 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Made mention of you page or more back. Good info in that thread about the realities of doing it...  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Seems like I know someone who just sold everything and moved out...and failed spectacularly. Oh' yea, that was me.
Made mention of you page or more back. Good info in that thread about the realities of doing it...  

Do you have a link?
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 1:45:25 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Couldn't disagree more.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FerFAL

Couldn't disagree more.

Gun rights yes, the highest levels of advanced medical care yes, freedom not so much, ability to make money not at all.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 4:15:21 AM EDT
[#26]
So, it's such a great place you can't tell everyone about it?  Riiight.  

Prove everyone wrong....move to your dream location and tell us all about it.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 4:17:35 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Gun rights yes, the highest levels of advanced medical care yes, freedom not so much, ability to make money not at all.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FerFAL

Couldn't disagree more.

We are STILL one of the freest countries in the world in spite of the liberals' desires otherwise.  And, our ability to work hard and make a comfortable living.....best opportunities in the world.  If you think that there is no ability to make money in the US....then you must be one of the FSA.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 4:34:49 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FerFAL

Couldn't disagree more.

Guys, yet again, medicine tech may be great in USA, it sure is, but the health care system just sucks and is much more afordable in most European countries.  This idea that some here have that medicine is better in US is most likely fueled by the the main stream media. To anyone with half an ounce of common sense wiling to listen to someone that has experienced both: american medical care sucks and is without a doubt THE  thing that makes people from other developed nations stay away from America. That and the higher crime rates, which are to some degree exaggerated by the European press. As for guns yes, America is the best country but if that really matters to you its not the only choice. Spain for example, I can own an AR, FAL or AK over there as well as handguns and practice I P.S.C. True, concealed carry is much harder to get, but it is legal if you jump through all the loops and crime is just a lot lower, especially violent crime and murder.
Let me see if I can explain myself. I'm not saying leave of stay in America, I'm just saying have all the facts. And the fact is you don't stay in America for it's wonderful medical care, that's just talking bs and showing a sad level of ignorance. pardon my bluntness but come on.
FerFAL
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 7:44:50 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Do you have a link?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Seems like I know someone who just sold everything and moved out...and failed spectacularly. Oh' yea, that was me.

Do you have a link?

It right here on the front page of the survival forum..."I am a prepped and I am moving to Panama"
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 9:51:10 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
The first people who came here were fleeing their native country not staying and fighting. You must hate the pilgrims.
View Quote

The first people may have come across a land bridge between Siberia and Alaska, although new evidence suggests that stone-age Europeans may have actually beat them here, crossing am ice bridge across the Atlantic.

Speaking of the people that founded what is now the United States,
yes, they fled to come here.
It was undeveloped land, unfortunately nothing like it really exists today.

If you are considering leaving, the time to do it is now, not after a crisis, or even at the beginning (if you are able to time things correctly).
Unless you have family or close connections, immigrating to a new country has it's problems, even during the best of times.

While I am not one that believes that if the U.S. goes down ala Greece, that the entire world goes down as well,
I do believe there will be world wide repercussions.
There is a reason that after the fall of the Roman Empire the Eu, went into what was referred to as the "Dark Ages"
and I believe something similar will happen to fill the vacuum when we are gone - only on a world-wide scale.
When Rome fell, it had no impact on a big chunk of the world.

If things go south and there are hardships in the country you have moved to, guess who the locals are going to be pointing the finger at?

Anyone who thinks that the rest of the world will stand up against Russia or China is in for a rude awakening,
and I believe they will be pretty quick to divide up the world and establish the new spheres of influence.

ETA:
Not to mention their NWO.  :)
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 12:50:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
We are STILL one of the freest countries in the world in spite of the liberals' desires otherwise.  And, our ability to work hard and make a comfortable living.....best opportunities in the world.  If you think that there is no ability to make money in the US....then you must be one of the FSA.
View Quote

Aside from gun rights America is not first in the world for any category of freedoms. But yes, it certainly is one of the better countries in that regard.

I never said one couldn't make money in America, and your childish attempt at a personal attack merely reveals your lack of reading comprehension. Our level of red tape and bureaucracy that has to be dealt with to start a business is one example of an area where some other countries make it easier to make money.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 12:53:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

The first people may have come across a land bridge between Siberia and Alaska, although new evidence suggests that stone-age Europeans may have actually beat them here, crossing am ice bridge across the Atlantic.

If you are considering leaving, the time to do it is now, not after a crisis, or even at the beginning (if you are able to time things correctly).
Unless you have family or close connections, immigrating to a new country has it's problems, even during the best of times.

While I am not one that believes that if the U.S. goes down ala Greece, that the entire world goes down as well,
There is a reason that after the fall of the Roman Empire the Eu, went into what was referred to as the "Dark Ages"
and I believe something similar will happen to fill the vacuum when we are gone - only on a world-wide scale.

If things go south and there are hardships in the country you have moved to, guess who the locals are going to be pointing the finger at?

Anyone who thinks that the rest of the world will stand up against Russia or China is in for a rude awakening,
and I believe they will be pretty quick to divide up the world and establish the new spheres of influence.

ETA:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ETA:

Have you ever considered that some people may be considering living and working outside the country for reasons other than apocalyptic predictions of a total collapse of civilization?
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 1:22:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Have you ever considered that some people may be considering living and working outside the country for reasons other than apocalyptic predictions of a total collapse of civilization?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ETA:

Except that's not what the OP is talking about.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 1:48:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ETA:

And this...is...wait for it.............

The survival forum

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 1:52:14 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

yes, but as pointed out, not in the context of this thread.

On a sidenote,
I have friends and family that have gone overseas for a year or two at a time to work (civilian as opposed to deployed)
and they were constantly aware of what was going on, and had a quick evacuation plan if things went south.

and you can choose to believe it or not, but,
our friends in Canada are just as able to turn on foreigners as the people of South America, Asia or Europe.

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 10:32:55 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

The survival forum

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ETA:

The survival forum

There are many scenarios that people may be preparing for, aside from global mad max dark ages round 2.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 8:28:22 AM EDT
[#37]
FerFal, I do no think you have a real grasp of European Health Care.   Yes, the American system is busted due to insurance company greed.  However, we do have many more options when it comes to treatment, we do discount seniors for things like knee and hip replacement.  We have a spectrum of anti-biotics not just one or two uber-drugs that do more harm than good.  
I have lived in Europe so my POV is based on factual observations.
Also, I think your ideas about gun ownership in Europe are a little naïve.  Yes, the law permits ownership however you will be required to get LEO sign off and keep them locked away in a club.  When you want to shoot, it is only at sanctioned events.
As you said, have all the facts.
Bmyk

Guys, yet again, medicine tech may be great in USA, it sure is, but the health care system just sucks and is much more afordable in most European countries.  This idea that some here have that medicine is better in US is most likely fueled by the the main stream media. To anyone with half an ounce of common sense wiling to listen to someone that has experienced both: american medical care sucks and is without a doubt THE  thing that makes people from other developed nations stay away from America. That and the higher crime rates, which are to some degree exaggerated by the European press. As for guns yes, America is the best country but if that really matters to you its not the only choice. Spain for example, I can own an AR, FAL or AK over there as well as handguns and practice I P.S.C. True, concealed carry is much harder to get, but it is legal if you jump through all the loops and crime is just a lot lower, especially violent crime and murder.
Let me see if I can explain myself. I'm not saying leave of stay in America, I'm just saying have all the facts. And the fact is you don't stay in America for it's wonderful medical care, that's just talking bs and showing a sad level of ignorance. pardon my bluntness but come on.
FerFAL
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 9:27:26 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
FerFal, I do no think you have a real grasp of European Health Care.   Yes, the American system is busted due to insurance company greed.  However, we do have many more options when it comes to treatment, we do discount seniors for things like knee and hip replacement.  We have a spectrum of anti-biotics not just one or two uber-drugs that do more harm than good.  
Also, I think your ideas about gun ownership in Europe are a little naïve.  Yes, the law permits ownership however you will be required to get LEO sign off and keep them locked away in a club.  When you want to shoot, it is only at sanctioned events.
Bmyk

FerFAL
View Quote
What higher crime rates? Take out the ghettos in major cities and our crime becomes miniscule. The only time I have ever had some body try to rob me, solicited by prostitutes, or cased by street thugs was in Europe. I am just being honest. I guess it depends on where you decide to live. Where are you living in Virginia? Richmond or Newport news? that is the only place where we could have any crime in any significant amount.

Of course there is crime everywhere and you always hear about it, but the factual numbers are what matters. Chicago, that has eight murders in the hood in one weekend or Lee County, VA that has one murder every 20 years.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 9:48:29 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
What higher crime rates? Take out the ghettos in major cities and our crime becomes miniscule. The only time I have ever had some body try to rob me, solicited by prostitutes, or cased by street thugs was in Europe. I am just being honest. I guess it depends on where you decide to live. Where are you living in Virginia? Richmond or Newport news? that is the only place where we could have any crime in any significant amount.

Of course there is crime everywhere and you always hear about it, but the factual numbers are what matters. Chicago, that has eight murders in the hood in one weekend or Lee County, VA that has one murder every 20 years.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bmyk

FerFAL

Canoeguy, Va Beach here.  Concur that most crime in the US does happen where we contrite low income, socially disadvantaged people. Of course crime is higher in the US, because we count the crimes that are crime.  In most of Europe it seems prostitution aka legalized sex slaves are accepted, junkies and drug dealers are ignored, street crime is expected especially if Romas/Gypsies are involved.  In places like Palma and Ibiza roofy rapes do not even warrant a report....go to the discos and it is gonna happen.  I love the Londoners view of robberies "in the tube"...keep your head down and don't resist, if you are robbed or assaulted, you were probably asking for it.  If you do resist, you will be arrested.  
When none of this is considered "reportable crime" of course the rates appear lower on paper.

I guess the next discussion will be on equality in Europe and all their honest politicians....
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 9:56:33 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Canoeguy, Va Beach here. Of course crime is higher in the US, because we count the crimes that are crime.  In most of Europe it seems prostitution aka legalized sex slaves are accepted, junkies and drug dealers are ignored, street crime is expected especially if Romas/Gypsies are involved.  In places like Palma and Ibiza roofy rapes do not even warrant a report....go to the discos and it is gonna happen.  
When none of this is considered a "reportable crime" of course the rates appear lower on paper.
I guess the next discussion will be on equality in Europe and all their honest politicians....
View Quote

Ah' I thought you were saying the crime rate actually was lower there, which as you pointed out is true on paper.

VA Beach! You are almost in enemy territory out there. Come to the mountains before its too late!

ETA: though in full disclosure things are worsening here. Albeit slowly. Right now crime is mainly limited to pillhead on pillhead. Last year we had our first home invasion. It was committed by some trash passing through from Florida. And now you have more and more property thefts compared to the past. It is all still low, but is increasing quickly.

We have a huge amount of welfare and that is biting us in the behind. This has polarized the area into two basic groups...pillheads and good honest folks who work hard and are salt of the earth. There is nothing in-between. When well fare stops it will be interesting for a bit, however people here will take care of things quickly when the time comes.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 10:41:55 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Bmyk
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Bmyk

Hi Bmyk, I have no doubt that you're the confused one. No idea why you think you cant keep guns home here. You can own guns in pretty much most European countries and you can keep them at home. I have no idea what made you think that in all of Europe you werent allowed to keep guns at your house. The same confusion goes for your idea of healthcare. Not only can you get a hip or knee replacement here, you can get it fully covered by the public health system. Again, some countries are better than others. In UK for example, you may have to wait a lot longer to get it done by the NHS, while in Spain even if done through the public system it would be pretty fast.

Quoted:

Higher crime rate such as murder rate per 100.000 population.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate
Lets talk some factual numbers as you suggest.
Ireland has an intentional homicide rate of 1.2, France 1.0 and Spain 0.8, same as Germany. USA on the other hand, its 4.7. That's huge. Granted, some places are safer than others but there's no way around such a conclusive figure. You're more than FIVE TIMES more likely to get murdered in USA than you are in Spain.
Sounds like you live in some very safe place in US and you've been to some awful ones in Europe. Driving around both US and Europe, if we're talking average there's no question about it, you will find less ghettos and less crime in Europe than in USA. Just the way it is. Here in Ireland for example, you just dont have them. I've driven around the entire island there just arent any. Even in the "tough" neighborhoods, where most live off welfare and you  have a better chance of scoring drugs and such, you can still walk around safely and the infrastructure isnt what you would find in an American ghetto. Spain is very much the same. With a bit more poverty here and there but its just overall safe.
There are pro and cons to both Europe and USA. Better gun laws, the American way of doing things and "can do" mindset perhaps, those would be the things I find America has going for it, but being safer and having less poverty simply isnt the strongest side of America when it comes to comparisons with Europe.
FerFAL
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 11:00:40 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Hi Bmyk, I have no doubt that you're the confused one. No idea why you think you cant keep guns home here. You can own guns in pretty much most European countries and you can keep them at home. I have no idea what made you think that in all of Europe you werent allowed to keep guns at your house. The same confusion goes for your idea of healthcare. Not only can you get a hip or knee replacement here, you can get it fully covered by the public health system. Again, some countries are better than others. In UK for example, you may have to wait a lot longer to get it done by the NHS, while in Spain even if done through the public system it would be pretty fast.

Ireland has an intentional homicide rate of 1.2, France 1.0 and Spain 0.8, same as Germany. USA on the other hand, its 4.7. That's huge. Granted, some places are safer than others but there's no way around such a conclusive figure. You're more than FIVE TIMES more likely to get murdered in USA than you are in Spain.
Sounds like you live in some very safe place in US and you've been to some awful ones in Europe. Driving around both US and Europe, if we're talking average there's no question about it, you will find less ghettos and less crime in Europe than in USA. Just the way it is. Here in Ireland for example, you just dont have them. I've driven around the entire island there just arent any. Even in the "tough" neighborhoods, where most live off welfare and you  have a better chance of scoring drugs and such, you can still walk around safely and the infrastructure isnt what you would find in an American ghetto. Spain is very much the same. With a bit more poverty here and there but its just overall safe.
There are pro and cons to both Europe and USA. Better gun laws, the American way of doing things and "can do" mindset perhaps, those would be the things I find America has going for it, but being safer and having less poverty simply isnt the strongest side of America when it comes to comparisons with Europe.
FerFAL
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bmyk

Quoted:

FerFAL

Quite honestly, you're smoking crack.

The homicide rate in the "US" being what you claim is driven by three cities -- DC, NYC, and Chicago.  

The rest of the country is a tiny fraction of the rates in those three gun free cities.

Being able to "own guns" is a useless sop when you can't carry or use them, and you have the right to do exactly neither of those in any european or almost any other country outside the US.  

"Ghettos" do not exist in most of the US.  High crime areas?  Yeah -- look at the three cities I posted and add DC and LA perhaps -- those are your high crime areas.  Crime in the rest of the country is minuscule.  

I've been to europe, I've been all over Asia, and I've been all over the middle east.  The only place that can begin to be safer than the US is Japan, and in Japan you have no rights, no ability to carry even a pocket knife, and the police have essentially unlimited power to arrest, search and seize, detain, hold you without warrant or charge, etc etc etc.  

The US is unique in all the world.

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 11:03:24 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

FerFAL
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bmyk

Quoted:

FerFAL

Yes that is true. But notice how I preface my comments with excluding the Ghettos. Outside of our inner cities there is virtually nowhere in the US you cant walk down the street at night and be safe.  

America is really polarized when it comes to crime and Europeans eat it up as if we are suffocating in crime here. But it just isn't reality. When I talk to Europeans abroad they talk about us and our guns and crime yet if they came here they would likely never even see any firearms except for law enforcement and they tell me this while we are surrounded by armed security guards and police with machine guns(Latin America) yet they seemingly have no problem with this.

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 12:04:27 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

So if you don't consider all of the high crime rate areas in America, and compare it to an entire continent as a whole, then our crime rate is lower? Shocking.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 12:12:04 PM EDT
[#45]
Ferfal  Not sure where you are in Europe butI am basing my comments on what I observed while living in Belgium and Italy (on the economy as an exchange person, not on a US base).  Granted, the guns laws vary from country to country just as they do here from state to state; but I found them to be more draconian and slanted towards the HAVE/elitists than even our worst states.  I love to talk hunting and fishing with Brits and Duitsers then watch them get all pissy because ANYONE can hunt and fish in the US not just rich land owners.  Love it when Brits ask WHY anyone needs a gun or why you would want to learn Martial Arts.
As far as the State health care, yes you can get treatment as long as some government office signs off (not too old, not too poor, have the correct family name and ties....).  State run stuff is really working well in Greece BTW.  If you are happy where you are; then more power to you.  Please feel free to sight European crime statistics from Wikipedia of all places...Again, I stand by my arguments regarding crime in Europe.
One last question, Why are we having this discussion on AR15.com and not duitsvriefuurwaponing.com,  EuroShot.net or UKGuns.co.uk?
Cheers

Quoted:

FerFAL
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bmyk

Quoted:

FerFAL

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 12:18:45 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

So if you don't consider all of the high crime rate areas in America, and compare it to an entire continent as a whole, then our crime rate is lower? Shocking.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What higher crime rates? Take out the ghettos in major cities and our crime becomes minuscule. The only time I have ever had some body try to rob me, solicited by prostitutes, or cased by street thugs was in Europe. I am just being honest. I guess it depends on where you decide to live. Where are you living in Virginia? Richmond or Newport news? that is the only place where we could have any crime in any significant amount.

Yea, I hear the sarcasm and I know it's not rocket science and you would think that would apply anywhere in the world, but it doesn't. My point is that in America the crime is extremely condensed to a few areas. And those areas have nothing in common economically, socially, or really any other factor with the rest of the land mass. Statistically we have high crime areas and comparatively almost no crime areas with nothing in between.

In fact these areas are so different from everywhere else they feel like another country. You take someone from any state in the union outside of these areas and they will fit right in here. Yes we might call them Yankees or whatever but at the end of the day other than accent they wont stand out in in any appreciable way, and I am not referring to skin color.

Once again I am not being politically correct, but that is reality.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 12:24:22 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Yea, I hear the sarcasm and I know it's not rocket science and you would think that would apply anywhere in the world, but it doesn't. My point is that in America the crime is extremely condensed to a few areas. And those areas have nothing in common economically, socially, or really any other factor with the rest of the land mass. Statistically we have high crime areas and comparatively almost no crime areas with nothing in between.

In fact these areas are so different from everywhere else they feel like another country. You take someone from any state in the union outside of these areas and they will fit right in here. Yes we might call them Yankees or whatever but at the end of the day other than accent they wont stand out in in any appreciable way, and I am not referring to skin color.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What higher crime rates? Take out the ghettos in major cities and our crime becomes minuscule. The only time I have ever had some body try to rob me, solicited by prostitutes, or cased by street thugs was in Europe. I am just being honest. I guess it depends on where you decide to live. Where are you living in Virginia? Richmond or Newport news? that is the only place where we could have any crime in any significant amount.

I think you're rather missing my point. I'm objecting to the sweeping generalization of dozens of countries spread across an entire continent as though they were a homogeneous group, as well as the fundamentally dishonest metric of saying "If you don't factor in all the places where the crime happens, our crime rate is really low!"

I also note that there are plenty of poor rural areas that have high crime rates, everything from meth labs to stealing things for scrap metal.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 1:24:05 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I think you're rather missing my point. I'm objecting to the sweeping generalization of dozens of countries spread across an entire continent as though they were a homogeneous group, as well as the fundamentally dishonest metric of saying "If you don't factor in all the places where the crime happens, our crime rate is really low!"

I also note that there are plenty of poor rural areas that have high crime rates, everything from meth labs to stealing things for scrap metal.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have just started a thread about crime in my area asking others t post if they se an increase in theirs as well. I specifically mention meth as a matter of fact. I will be interested to see if others are sharing my experiences.

But I will concede that Europe is indeed more than one country and a broad generalization is not fair. But if you want to talk about a homogenous group, that is sort of what I am referring to here in America. The inner city mentality, rather it is black, white, or Hispanic vs a non intercity mentality also regardless of race it is like two different worlds.

ETA: I just realized I have some hillbilly grammar in there...Oh well.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 1:37:46 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I have just started a thread about crime in my area asking others t post if they se an increase in theirs as well. I specifically mention meth as a matter of fact. I will be interested to see if others are sharing my experiences.

But I will concede that Europe is indeed more than one country and a broad generalization is not fair. But if you want to talk about a homogenous group, that is sort of what I am referring to here in America. The inner city mentality, rather it is black, white, or Hispanic vs a non intercity mentality also regardless of race it is like two different worlds.
View Quote

I mostly agree, although there are plenty of poor and crime ridden areas outside of inner cities.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 2:08:25 PM EDT
[#50]
Here in the US, we track crimes with FAR more detail than ANYWHERE else in the world.  Ever hear of UCR?  Stands for Uniform Crime Report and it's a way that the FBI tracks crime across the entire US.  Law enforcement in the US investigates (meaning a criminal investigator is assigned to the case) crimes that won't even warrant a report in many other countries.  

In most other countries in the world, if your house gets broken into and no one is caught in the act, tough luck man.  In the US, law enforcement will often seize fingerprints and/or DNA for analysis and will actually conduct an investigation.  Not all those cases are solved but an investigator usually takes a look at it.  

In most other countries in the world, the most serious crimes are committed against the state.  Those actually get investigated.  For citizens, if you're a victim of crime, it's just your tough luck.  

That above changes the numbers when you compare the US and the rest of the world and is never considered by people who rave about how dangerous the US is.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top