Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/29/2015 1:09:39 PM EDT
I just got an eye exam and a new pair of glasses. Now I'd like a few backup pairs. Who can help me with an online vendor for cheap glasses?

Link Posted: 5/29/2015 2:05:58 PM EDT
[#1]
You should also get your PD (pupil distance) measurement.

I've had good luck with Cheap glasses for basic backups to have around.

Link Posted: 5/29/2015 3:03:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Someone will yell because it is in China, but i ordered from Zenni Optical and they were great. Glasses are probably 25% the cost they charge here. Be SURE you get the pupillary distance right though. There is no sending them back from what i remember. For the price, you can screw up a few times. I got prescription sunglasses and a reading pair with coating and autotint for $75.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 3:38:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 4:17:16 PM EDT
[#4]
I bought 2 pairs of cheap glasses from 2 different online retailers, and they both wound up being trash.

Maybe if I spent a little more, I would have had more success.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 4:38:40 PM EDT
[#5]
So I need to go back to get my pupil distance measured?
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 6:26:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So I need to go back to get my pupil distance measured?
View Quote

yes, if its wrong your screwed...ask me how I know

on my 8th pair of Zenni glasses with a pretty intense astigmatism..screwed up the PD on 2 pair..rest are fine..

bifocals, heavy script with TI frames under $100 Vs an average of $350 at brick and mortar stores. which is why I have 8 pairs
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 6:31:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Zenni Optical.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 7:02:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Are PD frame dependent? Just got an eye exam and she said that they were frame dependent?  I suspect she knew that I was going to order an additional on-line pair

Any better or worse for progressives?

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/29/2015 8:24:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Zenni optic

You can try to measure your PD yourself, but it isn't the best solution. I tell my ophthalmologist that I am ordering glasses online and need the PD, like a complete Rx, so he does all of that for me. I also order my contacts from 1800 contacts. Don't think I will ever use a retail store for glasses and contacts again.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 8:29:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Are PD frame dependent? Just got an eye exam and she said that they were frame dependent?  I suspect she knew that I was going to order an additional on-line pair

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Your PD is the distant between your pupils. I can't see how it would change with your frames. Now, when you order glasses certain frames will only work in a certain range of PD and that is listed in the specs for the frames.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 8:32:50 PM EDT
[#11]
As a matter of course, most eye doctors will either refuse to give you the PD, or make it difficult, because they know you will be going elsewhere for your eyeglasses. Zenni will send you a measurement tool, and I think they have one online that you can print out. You can also have someone measure you while holding a small ruler. Measured in mm. There are instructions online for that.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 8:54:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Zenni.

Have probably bought 10 pairs from them.

Always GTG.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 10:19:34 PM EDT
[#13]
1-800contacts also has a site for glasses - believe it is 1800glasses - they will send you up to 4 frames to try on and then you send them back and pick the one you want your lenses to go in.  Also have an app that will allow you to try on your glasses. If your looking for cheap it is hard to bet Walmarts prices or costal contacts
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 10:22:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Another plus 1 for Zenni.

My doc forgot my PD on my script so I pulled out a tape measure and looked in the mirror. I tried to look straight forward and line up the tape measure with the center of my pupils. I had a standard inch tape divided into 8'ths and after getting my measurement converted it into mm and had decent success. My next eye appointment my doc checked my Zenni classes in a machine and said the RX in the lenses was spot on and was impressed with the quality for $24 shipped.  She also measured my PD and I was less than 1mm off.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 11:32:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Zenni FTW!!!!  I usually will order 4 pairs for $105 shipped.
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 12:07:31 AM EDT
[#16]
I've used Zenni for some backups in the past on two separate occasions.   Worked fine.  Took about a month or so for delivery.  Yep, gotta have that PD for the prescription.
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 12:09:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Zenni ftw
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 12:16:27 AM EDT
[#18]
+ whatever for Zenni.

Inexpensive and work well. I think I have one of their plastic PD gauges laying around. Holler if you want it.
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 2:17:41 PM EDT
[#19]
I am an Optometry tech at a local military base.  Pupillary distance is NOT frame dependant.  It is dependant on the distance between your pupils PERIOD.  BTW, another vote for Zenni Optical.  My no line bifocals would cost me over $350 from Sears and over $325 from Costco Optical.  With no tinit and clip on polarized sunglasses from Zennit, they were $72 shipped to my door.
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 8:45:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 8:54:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Yep.  Zenni is fucking awesome.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Someone will yell because it is in China, but i ordered from Zenni Optical and they were great. Glasses are probably 25% the cost they charge here. Be SURE you get the pupillary distance right though. There is no sending them back from what i remember. For the price, you can screw up a few times. I got prescription sunglasses and a reading pair with coating and autotint for $75.

Its the best I have used
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 2:27:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Another +1 for Zenni. I've used them for years. I've converted all my firends & family also. 6 pair for the price of one!

Steve
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 2:49:19 PM EDT
[#23]
I just ordered a pair for 23$ shipped. My last 2 pair at a store was 379 OTD.
If they are good I'll order more. Thanks
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 3:49:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Does Zinni do no line bifocals aka progressive lenses? How about auto darkening?  Or the lens darken when you step outside?
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 5:46:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 6/1/2015 5:50:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Does Zinni do no line bifocals aka progressive lenses? How about auto darkening?  Or the lens darken when you step outside?
View Quote

Yes to both, but the price goes up.
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 5:51:05 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Link Posted: 6/3/2015 11:34:04 AM EDT
[#28]
Zenni OpticaI is the best. Great price, fast service, no issues. Been buying from them for over two years now. Can't have enough spare readers! Spend the extra money for the anti-glare coating.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 12:27:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
As a matter of course, most eye doctors will either refuse to give you the PD, or make it difficult, because they know you will be going elsewhere for your eyeglasses. Zenni will send you a measurement tool, and I think they have one online that you can print out. You can also have someone measure you while holding a small ruler. Measured in mm. There are instructions online for that.
View Quote

Call Zenni and request the tool?
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:36:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

PD measuring

That's a PDF from their site that you can print out, or you can just use a ruler with the instructions in the PDF.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 4:05:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Here's my $0.02

If it wasn't stated already, SEARCH for deals online before you buy. I found some nice rebate codes that helped with my purchases. Also look into your insurance if you have it. I discovered mine were mostly covered "saving" me even more.

I use coastal.com for my eyeglasses (scored a "first order lenses free" deal and paid $50 out the door for my eyeglasses) and sportrx.com for RX name brand sunglasses.
I got a pair of polarized Smith Optics Outliers with a lifetime warranty from SportRX and my insurance covered everything except the polarization.
Zenni is great as well, but I liked the experience from coastal.com better.

YMMV...good luck!
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:06:53 PM EDT
[#32]
39dollarglasses, I am happy, you will pay more then $39 but I am happy with the glasses
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 5:42:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.  My family has been buying from them for several years now.  Get a prescription from the eye doc at Walmart and then order online.  I order several extra pairs.  Downside is that you don't know exactly how they will fit, but that hasn't been much of an issue with us.  I wear the ones I like and keep the ones that don't fit so well for extras.  My current pair is a set of titanium rims that are very light and sturdy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top