Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/25/2015 8:03:49 PM EDT
I picked up a nice generator from an estate sale that was already setup to use natural gas.  It includes:

- Generator, with carb setup for NG (no gasoline option)

- Garretson low-pressure regulator - Model KN - connected to generator - (round disc shaped, marked orifice 7/16, inlet 6oz, max inlet 8oz)

- 10ft hose for connecting to wall NG valve.  Looks like a standard ~1/2in pipe fitting at the end.  

My goal: connect a standard ~20lb propane tank to fuel this generator.  

Can I just use a gas grill regulator to reduce the pressure from the tank to the existing regulator?  

If not, where can I find a regulator/hose/fittings to take the propane in the tank down to 6-8 PSI?  Most of the regulators I can find are either 10-20 psi or not rated.  

Link Posted: 5/25/2015 9:50:44 PM EDT
[#1]
What brand and most LPG companies will do it for a minimum charge
, some it takes about 5 minutes to convert
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 10:44:13 PM EDT
[#2]
It's an old Gillette generator that I bought in an estate sale.  Hardly used.  

Still has all the factory paint, no gas tank, so I think it was built at the factory to burn NG.  Someone installed a quiet aftermarket muffler.  

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 2:21:33 AM EDT
[#3]
all i can tell you from my winco trifuel is that the regulator seems to handle the different fuels, i dont have a second set of orificies as the generator will regulate speed to control voltage, the trifuel is made to run on gasoline/ nat. gas/ or propane, it derates about 10 percent when run on nat gas or propane, not sure you will have to do anything but hook it up,   not sure how much run time you will get from a 20 lb tank, that about 5 gal fuel,  depending on the outside temperature the propane may not evaporate fast enough to feed the generator from such a small tank.

alex
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 8:26:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Most gas grill regulators will work, so long as it's a low pressure regulator, stay away from the red ones, they are a higher
Pressure regulator .

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top