Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/15/2015 12:43:13 PM EDT
My wife has been buying up some freeze dried food as it comes on sale from the various vendors with the objective of supplementing our main food rotation with long shelf life stores. Last week she bought some freeze dried beef crumbles from Emergency Essentials under the Provident pantry brand. We were expecting just beef crumbles that we could use as an ingredient to make meals with but when we looked at the label the beef was described as containing “seasoning”. Should we be concerned about this in the context that it will be used as an ingredient? We were looking for just plain old freeze dried ground beef crumbles (like the kind of stuff you would add to spaghetti sauce or turn into tacos).

I believe this is the stuff she ordered. Didn't notice the "seasoned" part until after the order was in.  
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 1:37:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I think you'll find that the seasonings are more of a salt & pepper general seasoning  type thing. It will enhance the flavor, but not overwhelm it. At least that my experience with these freeze dried type meats.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 1:50:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Ingredients: Beef, Flavoring and Salt.
View Quote

That's probably "Beef flavoring" to replace some lost through the freeze drying process.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 2:15:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Ok. That is pretty much what I was thinking but I wanted to confirm. I didn't want to have to open up a can to find out. Here's to end of the world tacos!
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 6:46:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Ok. That is pretty much what I was thinking but I wanted to confirm. I didn't want to have to open up a can to find out. Here's to end of the world tacos!
View Quote

Mmmmm....tacos.

I like how you think / prep!
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 7:07:57 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm not sure how it tastes, but it has more calories than many of the other offerings (at least for MH).  With that said, unless you catch a super-sale (Fall of 2013) MH can be cost prohibitive.  

Link Posted: 4/16/2015 5:06:49 PM EDT
[#6]
We ordered a small can each of FD white chicken, beef, and hamburger to try from Honeyville.  They came in a couple weeks ago.  Want to taste test before throwing down a lot of money.

Since we are talking about frreze dried.  Has anyone tried freeze dried cheese shreds?  

Not related, but sort of...bought my last can of Spam.  Thought we'd try it one more time.  Bought sodium reduced for $2.65 a can.  I sliced it thin and warmed up a few pieces, fully browned a few pieces and crisped up a few pieces. Can't eat the shit.  Texture and taste is not good.  I liked Hamdingers.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 5:34:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Not FD hamburger but DAK ham.

2012 thread.

DAK ham

Compares various canned meats and economics to FD meats.

I can eat it right from the can [I'm pretty squeamish] with mustard and it's good...  

It's been years since I bought some and have a variety of date codes over the years, maybe it's time to open up various dates and do a taste test.

Only a couple dollars a can and cheap enough that it can be tossed after a couple years if necessary and replaced.

A good meal if the chips are down, or the SO isn't around to fix something.

Link Posted: 4/16/2015 7:59:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
<snip>
Since we are talking about frreze dried.  Has anyone tried freeze dried cheese shreds?  
<snip>.
View Quote

I've made pizza with the emergency essentials mozarella. It was acceptable, not as good as fresh but
clearly had the distinctive mozarella flavor. Can't speak to other types of cheese but I'd not turn it down
after a hard day's work.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top