Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/14/2015 12:07:43 AM EDT
With Spring in full swing, I've found myself in need of a good pair of tweezers more than once now. 2 weeks ago, my son came to me with splinter in his hand. We were working at my business, so I pulled out the plastic tweezers from my first aid kit and told my wife to handle it. Between her reading glasses and the pos plastic tweezers, I finally just pulled out my multitool and yanked it out.

Last weekend, my mother jabbed a splinter under her fingernail, again we were at work and my wife was trying to fish it out with those f'd up plastic tweezers. I had a small manicure kit with a regular pair of metal manicure scissors, but that really didn't cut it. Finally my father came up with a sewing needle in his truck, and between that and a pair of fingernail clippers, he got it out.

So I need to find a good pair to keep in my kit. I ordered a couple of the "sliver gripper" tweezers ( http://www.chinookmed.com/cgi-bin/item/01751/s-instruments/%2DUncle%2DBill's%2DTweezers%2D ) but they don't particularly strike me as "precision" ground tips, looks more like folded sheet metal.

Anyone have a recommendation for this? Do you keep sewing needles or sutures in your kit for stuff like this? How do you sterilize this stuff with just alcohol pads? Do I need to carry a liquid disinfectant?
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 12:28:57 AM EDT
[#1]
although I didn't buy it for splinters. it is my go to tool for splinters.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 12:35:57 AM EDT
[#2]
These are decent, looks like the same design as in the original post.  

http://www.agrussell.com/ag-russell-field-tweezers/p/RUL%2DFT04/
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 12:37:47 AM EDT
[#3]
I use the tweezers you posted and they work nicely. For digging things out I use an x-acto blade, as you can sometimes use the edge to hook the object and pull it back out.

As for disinfecting, alcohol is a liquid disinfectant, just saturating a piece of sterile gauze when in pad form. Wear gloves and rub the instrument for 20-60 seconds (less time with the higher percentage alcohol) with the alcohol pad and you'll be as good as quick disinfection is going to get.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 12:56:24 AM EDT
[#4]
I've ended up getting quite a few trying to find some I like.
Sometimes the cheap Walmart/Target store ones are precision enough. You just have to try them out. That's what I have in my first aid kits right now but I need some more.
For my garage toolbox (for precision work) I got some german made ones that are quite nice (Wiha or Wera I can't remember which brand-only one makes tweezers).
I found a lot of 'first aid kit tweezers were not precsion enough (too blunt) for me.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 12:56:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Best all around IMO.

Tweezerman
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 1:31:41 AM EDT
[#6]
You can get the cheep metal ones and take a grinder to the ends.  Square them up or thin them down.  That rounded off chrome stuff will grind.  
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 2:07:11 AM EDT
[#7]
I've been lusting after a pair PocketTweeze for a while, just never seem to squeeze the trigger on them.

Link Posted: 4/14/2015 2:16:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Excellent thread on tweezers from Survival Forum in 2013...

Tweezers

Link Posted: 4/14/2015 10:20:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 10:27:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Sliver Grippers FTW, HOWEVER:

Sharpen them. As they come, they are decent, but I take them to my sharpening stone and put a nice sharp point on them. Then they work great!
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 11:11:12 AM EDT
[#11]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

splinterout... cheap and works. also individually packed so they stay clean
View Quote
i use an 18 or 20 gauge sterile needle

even cheaper

Link Posted: 4/14/2015 11:22:08 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

With Spring in full swing, I've found myself in need of a good pair of tweezers more than once now. 2 weeks ago, my son came to me with splinter in his hand. We were working at my business, so I pulled out the plastic tweezers from my first aid kit and told my wife to handle it. Between her reading glasses and the pos plastic tweezers, I finally just pulled out my multitool and yanked it out.

Last weekend, my mother jabbed a splinter under her fingernail, again we were at work and my wife was trying to fish it out with those f'd up plastic tweezers. I had a small manicure kit with a regular pair of metal manicure scissors, but that really didn't cut it. Finally my father came up with a sewing needle in his truck, and between that and a pair of fingernail clippers, he got it out.

So I need to find a good pair to keep in my kit. I ordered a couple of the "sliver gripper" tweezers ( http://www.chinookmed.com/cgi-bin/item/01751/s-instruments/%2DUncle%2DBill's%2DTweezers%2D ) but they don't particularly strike me as "precision" ground tips, looks more like folded sheet metal.

Anyone have a recommendation for this? Do you keep sewing needles or sutures in your kit for stuff like this? How do you sterilize this stuff with just alcohol pads? Do I need to carry a liquid disinfectant?
View Quote
Go into the chick isles at the local store.  Find the place where they have the eyelash folding tools, the finger trimming tools, etc. Usually between the make-up and the tampons.

Find the most expensive, most pointed pair of tweezers on the rack and buy them. Should be about $15 to $25.

Enjoy good, precision tweezers.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 2:01:55 PM EDT
[#13]
My sister gave me a two piece set from TWEEZERMAN, with one a 3mm wide chisel tip and the other sharp/fine like a hypodermic needle.

Ladies makeup places like Ulta and Sephora have the good quality ones that really don't take up any space.

Chris
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 4:10:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Dumont.

But the tweezermans look nice too.

All of my tweezers were handed down from my grandpa who worked on watches, so they're very pointy and well made. None have brand names on them.

For some splinters, I find that scraping them out with the edge of a knife or scalpel works well. Some stubborn ones I just slice open with a scalpel to get them out rather than rooting around and causing more trauma with the tweezers.

Another technique that works well is squeezing them like a zit. Works especially well if they're a little infected. Doesn't work as well on a squirmy patient.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 4:36:10 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm a machinist, to say I've had a sliver or two is an understatement.  I use these, the best I've found.  If the sliver is under the skin, I lift it with an xacto knife tip first.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 5:21:21 PM EDT
[#16]
I remember the thread someone linked above.

It is worth the money to buy good tweezers.

If you actually plan to use your first aid kits, home and vehicle and camping and whatever else, buy a few of them.

I probably spent close to 100 bucks getting several sets of quality tweezers.

The most used pair are kept at my computer desk, I surf and watch streaming video on it so it is where I sit the most.  But if I need a first aid kit I am not going to deal with junk, have had plenty of junky ones and got tired of them.

I considered buying several of the tweezers that come with a swiss army knife, up until I spent some decent money my needle nose pliers and the swiss army knife tweezers were my best tweezers.

Get something pointy and as mentioned it might need sharpening.

There are many ways to deal with splinters since there are many ways to get one and depending on material the splinter is made of different stuff might work better.

But overall, I got tired of cheap plastic or cheap metal tweezers.

You can sometimes find cheap ones and sharpen them but a serious bit of metal with a well machined area that has lots of contact when you squeeze them closed is worth the cost.

At first I felt silly spending 100 bucks on tweezers.  I mean really silly.  That was x number of mags or ammo or gas or whatever.

After receiving them and looking at them I felt they were well made and not just stamped out in china for a penny a piece.

After using them and thinking that the splinter sure came out easy I realized the better tool made the job easier.

Link Posted: 4/14/2015 5:32:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I'm a machinist, to say I've had a sliver or two is an understatement.  I use these, the best I've found.  If the sliver is under the skin, I lift it with an xacto knife tip first.
View Quote

We do the same thing, cut and 'tear' with an Xacto knife around the splinter [if necessary] and then remove.

Having a good eyeglass mounted loupe, or even a cheap magnifying glass is a tremendous aid.

Optics are a necessary component of a BOB.

As well as a powerful and small magnet. [H-F for a couple bucks for a tube of ten or so]

Years ago  bought a lot of couple dozen Swiss made serrated 7B.sa tweezers on eBay for a small fraction of what they would cost retail. Seller didn't know what she had.  

A diamond pen fishing hook sharpener will quickly restore the points if they get dropped, etc.

Link Posted: 4/14/2015 6:45:55 PM EDT
[#18]
I have upgraded several pair of cheap tweezers with sandpaper. I fold a piece in half and lightly pinch it between the jaws as I run the sand paper back and forth "mating" the ends together.  I then take the tweezers with the jaws closed and use the sand paper to make the points either sharper, rounded, or flat/square.   This method can be a huge improvement to a cheapo pair.

Link Posted: 4/14/2015 11:28:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Best all around IMO.

Tweezerman
View Quote

+87

I worked the medical lodge of a Boy Scout camp for a week when the regular medic got called away unexpectedly.  I'm not sure how many ticks and splinters I removed but it was a butt load.  The tweezerman tweezers like the one s_g linked to are fine enough to pick the nose hairs off a gnat.  They were fantastic for ticks and for getting at imbedded splinters without having to go digging around with an exacto knife.  I'd never run across them before but am absolutely sold on them.  A set with wider pads like the revlon ones linked above is also good to have around, and I have a very similar pair of those as well.

My rule of thumb is that if you squeeze the jaws of a pair of tweezers together and you can see a line where the pads meet, they're not worth keeping.  They need to be ground such that the two pieces look like one when they're together.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 12:24:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Recently bought this set for my Truck First Aid Kit. It comes with a decent case too.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 12:31:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Best all around IMO.

Tweezerman
View Quote

This is what the ladies and cosmetologists seem to swear by. I just dig at stuff with whatever's handy.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 12:38:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Best all around IMO.

Tweezerman
View Quote

Except that's not a "Tweezerman" tweezer.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 4:26:03 AM EDT
[#23]
I like the ones I got off of County Comm dot com.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 4:48:42 AM EDT
[#24]
Horse needles are the best thing to remove splinters with. I purchase them from Farm & Fleet.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 1:48:09 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

View Quote
I have a set of these on all my keychains and in my bags. They are a bit cheaper and way less for shipping at battery junction

Link Posted: 4/16/2015 12:40:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Yes, you'll freak out at the price, but they are the best--putting Revlon, Tweezerman, etc all to shame.

http://rubistweezers.com/

Link Posted: 4/16/2015 3:23:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Tweezers website at random... Google...

here

EBay will have FAR better prices.

Standard across the brands nomenclatures:

7-SA are fine point curved  ---best for fine hair removal

7B-SA are fine curved point serrated  -best for splinters, fine electronics, etc  ["B" denotes serrated]

For improved gripping action with the smooth tip SA-7 tweezers, we 'roughen' the tips with a pass or two of a diamond fish hook sharpening pen

These diamond coated pens are compact, weigh practically nothing, have a great many uses, and are an essential component of our 'kits'.

Best prices, again, are from Sellers on eBay.

The above tweezers are precision instruments  and must be stored and used with respect or you'll be left with junk.

Even badly damaged tweezers of these styles can be re-formed, and re-shaped with the diamond tool, to put them back into operation.

They need to be stored in some sort of small padded tube, etc, for rough carrying. They are an import component of all of our 'kits'

For my electronics benches, done this for decades, I'll use the serrated type and shorten the tip to make it more robust [about 1/8" or so] and they are used very frequently.

For small components handling, like SMD chips, I'll file a notch inside the tips with a diamond tool. Very handy.

Stick with the Swiss made ones, skip the china crap. There may be exceptions nowadays. H-F has junk.

Once you get used to this quality, most everything else is a frustration.  

Sometimes--- in a pinch, the cheap HF/china type ones can be redressed and make a great tool.

Link Posted: 4/16/2015 3:50:30 PM EDT
[#28]
for a large splinter, I like mosquito hemostats. link

for a small splinter, Adson forceps (serrated, not 1x2) link
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 8:29:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Uncle Bills sliver grippers. Two pack.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 7:56:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Nice pair of tweezers shown front and center on Drudge at the moment. Taking Apple watch apart.

Here

Looks like 7B-SA
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 3:58:06 AM EDT
[#31]
I get mine from Cogent Industries. 100% Ti

http://www.cogentindustries.com/products/titweezers/
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 10:39:59 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Horse needles are the best thing to remove splinters with. I purchase them from Farm & Fleet.
View Quote

I use simple sewing needles.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 10:44:40 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
splinterout... cheap and works. also individually packed so they stay clean
View Quote

These are the best. They are razor sharp too
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 11:09:01 AM EDT
[#34]
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stainless-Steel-Tweezers-Anti-static-Anti-acid-High-Accuracy-VETUS-TS-11ESD-/371148117046?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item566a26d436

I use these on electronics and myself
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 8:10:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have close to ten sets of them. I always worry that they will stop carrying them. The absolute best I have ever used. And the fact they can be on your key-chain makes them actually useful
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 10:56:14 AM EDT
[#36]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top