Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/12/2015 7:41:32 PM EDT
I bought this for $1 at the flea market today. I decided it was too good to pass up for $1. The handle is not perfect but I am probably going to re-use it since it was pounded in and never wedged.

This is it!

This is after I removed the part of the pole that had the nail claws in it and the cut the top flat. The band saw made quick work of it.

Then I decided I wanted less pole.

Then I cut the the bottom radius to give it a more tomahawk like appearance.

Now I will have to wait until next weekend to clean up the edges  and rough spots with an air grinder and belt sander. This is where I would love to have input on further profiling. I am thinking about a flat on the bottom of the radius where the handle goes. I need to do something with the transition from the pole to the lower radius. I might grind in a nice smooth radius.

I think it will really turn out nice. I can't wait to weigh the head once I finish it. I forgot to take pictures of the handle. I really want to reuse the handle so I can really call it a $1 hatchet.
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 7:47:07 PM EDT
[#1]
That will turn out real nice...
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 8:05:17 PM EDT
[#2]
No picture of the complete handle, but you can probably sand whatever beat up finish is on there and oil it.
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 8:17:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No picture of the complete handle, but you can probably sand whatever beat up finish is on there and oil it.
View Quote

I have to remove about 1" to clean up some damage from the tool who used a hammer to pound the handle in. They actually smashed the grain and split the end a bit. Probably a half a century ago. I won't mind losing a bit. I will sand it up and stain it. BLO once I am done.
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 10:26:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Hopefully it turns out the way you want. I probably would of left it as a 4-lugged though.

But if it gets messed up it's only a dollar.
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 10:38:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Hopefully it turns out the way you want. I probably would of left it as a 4-lugged though.

But if it gets messed up it's only a dollar.
View Quote

It was one ugly bitch the way it was. I really like the way it is looking so far.

I might get up early and do some of the grinding before I have to head for the airport. I'm going to use my die grinder in a few spots and then use the slack of belt grinder to finish up the profile. I'll use an orbital sander to remove all the patina.

I better thin the cheeks before I put the handle on. I'm going to thin this one a bit extra.

Fitting the handle and re-cutting the slot would take an hour or more. That will be the most labor intensive.  I use a chisel to thin the handle to get it all the way to the shoulder with a good fit.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 7:41:08 AM EDT
[#6]
I like the ax head the way it was. It had much more utility and cutting surface. I would have just removed the corrosion,  repaired/installed the handle and sharpened.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 8:47:23 AM EDT
[#7]
This morning I got up early and worked on the hatchet before I have to head to the airport.

I sanded down and wire brushed the rust.

The handle was interesting because it had that curve in it when I bought it. I had to bob the tail a bit to get rid of a huge chip out. It took quite a bit of chisel work to get the handle fit just right. I was going to leave a bit sticking out but my saw work went wrong! I just sanded it flat.

This is the finished project with Red Mahogany stain and boiled linseed oil in natural light. The edge is a shallow convex and just the very edge sharpened up so it dry shaves easily. I will say that this bit was hard as heck. I gave up on filing the cheeks and just used my belt sander and kept it cool. The file would barely cut it.

It feels great in my hand. Still pretty ugly but it will get more use and appreciation in this life than it did in the other. I can't wait until next weekend to take it out and try it!

The over all length is 12.5". The handle sticks out 10.75" inches. The over all weight is 1lb 5.6oz.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 11:41:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I like the ax head the way it was. It had much more utility and cutting surface. I would have just removed the corrosion,  repaired/installed the handle and sharpened.
View Quote

To each his own.

I wanted a light weight tool with the force in line with a smaller cutting surface. With the new profile it will cut deeper than when new. The whole hatchet probably weighs less than the original head.

I was looking for a hatchet to modify.  This one turned out pretty sweet, even if still ugly.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 11:14:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Plan to make a leather cover for the head or edge?
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 6:10:44 AM EDT
[#10]
I think it turned out pretty nice.  Good job.  I don't have even close to the right tools to mod something that much.  But with the two lugs and that bit style, it looks just fine.  Similar to the GB small hatchet.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 6:50:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Plan to make a leather cover for the head or edge?
View Quote

I have to find or make something.  It's dangerous to carry in the open.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 7:29:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I think it turned out pretty nice.  Good job.  I don't have even close to the right tools to mod something that much.  But with the two lugs and that bit style, it looks just fine.  Similar to the GB small hatchet.
View Quote

I wanted the slightly closed bit of the Gransfors and the narrow face.

You could do this mod with a angle grinder and cut off wheels if you are patient and steady. Finish each side with the angle grinder and light pressure and then sand paper on a flat surface.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 8:04:26 AM EDT
[#13]
I like it.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 3:01:50 PM EDT
[#14]
I forgot to measure the face and my wife couldn't find a measuring tape. She did great!

2 3/4" is a nice compact size. Just what I wanted although I didn't worry about that when I modified it.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 1:36:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I forgot to measure the face and my wife couldn't find a measuring tape. She did great!

<a href="http://s75.photobucket.com/user/batmanacw/media/gear/1151_zpsdgjwn6kv.jpeg.html" target="_blank">http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i307/batmanacw/gear/1151_zpsdgjwn6kv.jpeg</a>

2 3/4" is a nice compact size. Just what I wanted although I didn't worry about that when I modified it.
View Quote

Very nice.  It adds a bit of nostalgia bringing a tool back to life and putting it to use!  I have four axe heads that have handles waiting for them...
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 4:18:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Looks great! I am a fan of reworking old items as well.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 6:21:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Looks great! I am a fan of reworking old items as well.
View Quote

The guy who sold it to me said it was going to be scrapped if he didn't sell it. I think this was a better fate.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 7:18:52 PM EDT
[#18]
It's cruel to have a great little axe like that sitting at home and have to travel to South Dakota all week. I won't get home until tomorrow so it won't get used until Saturday! Like having a new toy I can't play with.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 10:38:05 PM EDT
[#19]
maybe a dumb question but what did you use to cut down the poll?
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 7:35:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
maybe a dumb question but what did you use to cut down the poll?
View Quote

Bandsaw. It cut very easily.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 2:49:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Looks great!!!
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 6:09:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Going to the flea market tomorrow.  I might find my next $1 project tomorrow morning before I get to play with this one!

I still need to try out the boys axe I bought last weekend too.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 8:53:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Going to the flea market tomorrow.  I might find my next $1 project tomorrow morning before I get to play with this one!

View Quote

Batman, would you describe in a little detail what tools you use to remove the bulk of the metal and roughly how much time for each step?

Link Posted: 4/17/2015 9:05:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Looks bad ass!
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 12:17:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Batman, would you describe in a little detail what tools you use to remove the bulk of the metal and roughly how much time for each step?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I used a harbor freight metal cutting bandsaw. The cheapest stand alone unit they make. I clamp my stuff down instead of using the vise.

The cut across the top took a few minutes.  The bottom edge cut was set up in a vice so I was cutting through the hard edge first. It was very hard on the blade but didn't destroy it. I'll do the bottom cut with a cut off wheel next time. I had a couple hours into it total.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 12:39:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I used a harbor freight metal cutting bandsaw. The cheapest stand alone unit they make. I clamp my stuff down instead of using the vise.

The cut across the top took a few minutes.  The bottom edge cut was set up in a vice so I was cutting through the hard edge first. It was very hard on the blade but didn't destroy it. I'll do the bottom cut with a cut off wheel next time. I had a couple hours into it total.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks!

The H-F band saws are a good value and handy. It's interesting you both clamped the work-piece and used the saw vice.

Nice job!

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 1:52:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Thanks!

The H-F band saws are a good value and handy. It's interesting you both clamped the work-piece and used the saw vice.

Nice job!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks!

Nice job!

I actually clamped a vice on the table instead of trying to put the normal vice back together. A drill press vice works well for that. I will have to take a picture of the clamp I use. It is a single sided vice grip type clamp.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 1:56:30 PM EDT
[#28]
The flea market was a turd today. I found one good hatchet head, a True Temper Flint edge. It had handle dressed up with leather that was not even close to being properly hung and was glued into the bottom of the bit. . A flint edge hatchet is always a great buy but not at $40 with a handle that wasn't reusable. I wouldn't modify a Flint Edge.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 10:21:50 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 2:54:38 PM EDT
[#30]
I just spent some quality time with my hatchet. This thing is wicked. Crazy sharp. It cuts through small green hardwood like nothing. It was shaving sharp when I finished. I am extremely pleased and blown away at how great this thing cuts.  I can't wait to get out in the woods.

I need to find or make a cover. It's dangerous to carry in the open.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 4:09:24 PM EDT
[#31]
I went over it with some Super Blue so there wouldn't be any more bare metal. The blueing will wear off the edge pretty quickly but it will protect the top and bottom where I cut the shape. I also recoated the handle in BLO. This project is complete except for a cover.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top