Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/25/2015 8:14:28 AM EDT

The thread on BOB touched on this a bit but I though it would be interesting to start a new thread specifically about this. I’m not thinking here of specific outdoors clothes although it sure can overlap, but this would be more about what’s in your wardrobe so as to use daily. If you have to wear a suit every day then that’s a bit of a problem, but still you can select those with preparedness in mind. A wool suit is still made out of wool, you can still have certain underwear and men’s formal shoes that are well made and still somewhat comfortable to walk with.
The idea I have in mind here is the following:
What you have on you on daily basis is most likely all you’ll have to work with when theres an emergency or disaster. This is particularly true of clothes.
I want clothes that are functional on daily basis. I also want then to be strong, keep you warm/cool enough depending on needs given the location. If SHTF, I want them to be all they can be. (example, if after an accident by shirt and pants get torn, I want my underwear to be as good as it gets. ) If in some far fetched, worst case scenario I’m left with those same clothes I put on that morning for a couple weeks or a couple months, barely crapping them clean here and there in stream or gas station, which ones would I want?
Ideally you’d have more freedom and here’s where I’d like to get the ball rolling. Everyday clothes, nothing that makes you look like a psychopath, no all-camo or all black ninja or solider outfit, but functional clothing. As tactical as possible from a practical point of view, yet looking as non-assuming as you can. This will depend on what people around you wear. If you work in a freaking hunting lodge then maybe everyone around you wears camo, but other than that, for normal everyday use in a semi-formal to casual dress code, what would you go for?
I’m thinking merino wool for underwear, socks and base layer. Its comfortable, wicking, keeps you somewhat war even if a bit wet and doesn’t stink as bad an nylon. This is something I’m already addressing, upgrading my underwear this way little by little, buying when I find good products and good prices. For socks I also like some Columbia 50/50 blends that I got on sale. Great all around socks that work for daily use and if I found myself walking long distances or having to go with those for several days, they are pretty good as hiking socks as well.
In terms of pants, I’ve used cargo style pants for some time, still do, but I’m a bit self conscious about the “tactical” look. Maybe its just me, maybe it has indeed become more noticeable and you do in fact look like a damn contractor with kaki 5.11 pants. I recently found some 50/50 jeans. Half wool, half polyester. The US military has been happy enough with a 50/50 cotton and poly blent and wool instead of cotton should be even better. We’ll see. For jackets, I like either a good winter North Face jacket or a DWR softshell. Fleece usually works for me as a medium layer.
Any thoughts? Its not just about having comfortable clothes for hiking but other possible situations as well. For example nylon would be the last thing I’d want to have on me when trying to escape a fire. Anything that is fire-retardant would ve a big + in my book. Clothes with NIR Signature Management Technology would also be nice, but I don’t know of any other than actual BDUs that have that. What would be your ideal daily use combination? Links, pics and such would be nice if you have them.
FerFAL
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 8:39:50 AM EDT
[#1]
M65 with Ranger patches and shit stained sweat pants.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 8:47:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Wool stuff.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 8:52:22 AM EDT
[#3]
There's a reason denim jeans have been around and popular since the 1800's.  They are comfortable, durable, widely available, and cheap.
Even though I'm lucky enough to be able wear jeans to work, I keep a full change of clothes rolled up and smooshed down behind the back seat of my truck.  The chances of me getting caught by catastrophe away from both my home and my truck are darn slim.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 9:11:04 AM EDT
[#4]
I wear cheap wrangler cargo shorts and a Polo fir work.
I wear synthetic or Merino wool socks daily.
I wear wicking boxer briefs from addidas.
I wear merrels as my work shoe /boots.
I wear sun glasses and a company ball cap.
In my car I keep a light weight rain parka..non company ball cap (two -one hunting camo one vendor related) . Two pairs of gloves -mechanix and medium weight fliers gloves.
I keep also a Columbia parka...woodland m65 with liner. Watch cap and wool gloves together.
There's a Columbia vented boonie hat.
Collapsible hiking poles.

That's my everyday wear. Once I get home ill wear what the weather permits. If I'm playing Rambo...of course the wardrobe changes so the shtf fashion police don't get me.

Eta :
If. I had to keep a second set to get home with.  It would be pants like I mentioned in your BOB thread...a longsleve supplex shirt. Both in earth tones. A ultra light camo windshirt /smock fir concealment /outter shell..I'm debating on making this. I'm impressed by the multicam taslite and dwr backed AOR2 tasslen I'm testing out. Summer heat will prove if its breathable enough for down here. Supplex has done well.
Fast drying...whicking and easy /common down here.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 9:38:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There's a reason denim jeans have been around and popular since the 1800's.  They are comfortable, durable, widely available, and cheap.
Even though I'm lucky enough to be able wear jeans to work, I keep a full change of clothes rolled up and smooshed down behind the back seat of my truck.  The chances of me getting caught by catastrophe away from both my home and my truck are darn slim.
View Quote

Jeans have been around forever and are so popular becuase they sure work! Still, I've had to walk for long distances muddy and soaking wet, wearing, jeans, it wasnt fun (trying to cross a stream with a Hilux, while raining, car got stuck, water level started to rise, long story). Takes forever to dry. a 50/50 blend jean should have a bit of an edge regarding that vs a 100% cotton jean.
FerFAL
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 9:46:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Most days I wear jeans and button down shirt at work. I have some cargo pants I wear sometimes as well. My shoes are usually Ariat boots, but I started having some feet issues due to wearing cowboy boots 365 days of the year (according to my podiatrist) so lately I am wearing sketcher shoes with orthotic insoles. I keep a camo jacket in the truck, and I usually have a cap of some sort that I put on when I leave work. I keep two pair of mechanix gloves in my truck. They keep my soft girly hands from getting ouchies when I do real work.

FWIW, my cargo pants are 5.11 I think, and they really don't stand out. They are the "covert" or something like that. I have a pair of 5.11 slacks that look dressy enough for church but have small extra pockets along the outseam. In all honestly, as far as comfort goes, I like the cargo pants the best. I can't really say why I mostly wear jeans other than habit.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 9:47:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Jeans have been around forever and are so popular becuase they sure work! Still, I've had to walk for long distances muddy and soaking wet, wearing, jeans, it wasnt fun (trying to cross a stream with a Hilux, while raining, car got stuck, water level started to rise, long story). Takes forever to dry. a 50/50 blend jean should have a bit of an edge regarding that vs a 100% cotton jean.
FerFAL
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

FerFAL

Definitely, I wear jeans a lot, but damn, they are a pain when they get soaking wet. They weigh a lot and they don't dry quick. I have had plenty a pair of jeans hanging next to a camp fire drying while I shiver in my underwear next to them.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 10:02:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Definitely, I wear jeans a lot, but damn, they are a pain when they get soaking wet. They weigh a lot and they don't dry quick. I have had plenty a pair of jeans hanging next to a camp fire drying while I shiver in my underwear next to them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FerFAL

Agreed... they're certainly not the best wet-weather gear. Having an extra pair handy can mitigate it somewhat, but even that doesn't really help much if you're in a steady rain or repeatedly getting wet for some other reason.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 10:03:56 AM EDT
[#9]
My SHTF uniform consists of a beanie, speedos and flip flops.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 10:05:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Wrangler Riggs ranger pants 10oz cotton ripstop with a double layer from mid thigh to mid calf.  You can wax them to make them waterproof.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 10:10:51 AM EDT
[#11]
A lifestyles condom and nothing else.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 10:17:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Seems GD has showed up lmao.

Link Posted: 3/25/2015 11:10:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, this isn"t GD so try sticking with the topic and not be wise asses.

I like Duluth Trading Co. Firehose pants for being exteremly rugged, and won't draw attention to you.  They might be too hot for you down in yout neck of the woods though, however they do make different weights and type of materials.

Another option is Rail Riders.  They are a bit spendy, but are really tough and probably would be better for your climate.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 11:18:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I like Duluth Trading Co. Firehose pants for being exteremly rugged, and won't draw attention to you.  They might be too hot for you down in yout neck of the woods though, however they do make different weights and type of materials.

Another option is Rail Riders.  They are a bit spendy, but are really tough and probably would be better for your climate.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its funny though. People that live in very cold climates know how to dress acordingly. Here in freaking Ireland, you'd think people would know how to dress for wet weather conditions. Granted, some do, and those I watch what they use and try to learn from that, but then you constantly come across people with cotton hoodies, soaking wet all the time! They just pull the stupid cotton hoodie over their head and keep walking getting fully soaked. The saying around goes "its just water". Sure, it is. But then again being wet and cold isnt a good idea. Waterproof and water repellant clothes are your friend here.
FerFAL
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 11:29:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's all in what you're acclimated to.  I wear Duluth Firehose Pants all year long here (14°-104° swing in the last 12 months).  I've always worn jeans through the summer though, so I'm used to it, YMMV.  In addition to being extremely rugged, they have a great warranty.  I had a pair lose a tooth on the zipper and all I had to pay was shipping back to Duluth for a brand new pair.  For what it's worth, a pair of 501's only lasts me 3-4 months, and I have 3 pair of Firehose pants I've been wearing for 2 years; the zipper issue on 1 pair has been the only problem.

I haven't tried any of the flex or lighter weight pants they offer - how do they stack up to the original Firehose?
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 11:48:58 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
It's all in what you're acclimated to.  I wear Duluth Firehose Pants all year long here (14°-104° swing in the last 12 months).  I've always worn jeans through the summer though, so I'm used to it, YMMV.  In addition to being extremely rugged, they have a great warranty.  I had a pair lose a tooth on the zipper and all I had to pay was shipping back to Duluth for a brand new pair.  For what it's worth, a pair of 501's only lasts me 3-4 months, and I have 3 pair of Firehose pants I've been wearing for 2 years; the zipper issue on 1 pair has been the only problem.

I haven't tried any of the flex or lighter weight pants they offer - how do they stack up to the original Firehose?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They have a "Flex Hose" version that is almost as durable but quite a bit lighter for warmer weather use.  The regular Firehose are unwearable in WI summers as too hot. The Flex version is bearable.

Link Posted: 3/25/2015 12:11:57 PM EDT
[#17]
"Cotton Kills"
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 12:48:07 PM EDT
[#18]
a buddy of mine has been wearing the deluth firehose pants almost every day for the past year. SAME pair. Not just around town either, he wears them every time we go into the field seriously in the last year I can count on one hand the number of times I have seen him wear something else. The have held up VERY well. The only wear marks on them is where he keeps his knife and flashlight. I don't know if you can find more rugged.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 1:10:24 PM EDT
[#19]
I work in Center City Philadelphia and generally wear jeans and a button down shirt. Socks are always merino wool. Unless the forecast is calling for really shitty weather, I wear sneakers.

Before leaving my house in the morning I always check the weather, so that I have appropriate outerwear, whether it's a hoody, light jacket, a raincoat, or a parka. If there's any snow or heavy rain in the forecast I'll wear boots. I have a pair of Timberland ankle-height, waterproof hiking boots that are extremely comfortable. They get worn a lot in the Winter.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 6:36:56 PM EDT
[#20]
I wear Double wall carhartts daily in all seasons. They're damn near bullet proof.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 7:14:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Where do I find the wool/poly jeans?

Link Posted: 3/25/2015 7:19:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I wear Double wall carhartts daily in all seasons. They're damn near bullet proof.
View Quote

I wore double wall brown carhartt's for a few years working outdoors.  I loved them...for work.
I also wore them on a 20 mile hike.  Never again.  They are heavy as sin after a long day of hiking, and being all cotton, they do not do well when wet.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 9:12:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
They have a "Flex Hose" version that is almost as durable but quite a bit lighter for warmer weather use.  The regular Firehose are unwearable in WI summers as too hot. The Flex version is bearable.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wear the regular Firehose pants all year long, 5+ days a week 16-8 hour days, in a hot environment in Southern IL. Love them. My only caution is NEVER get bleach on them, I poured bleach on the ground, it splattered, I know have a tie-dye pair of pants.

Link Posted: 3/25/2015 10:49:40 PM EDT
[#24]
I generally sit in an office M-F, so I gotta look somewhat professional.   Polo's or button-down shirts, kakis environment.

I've got to wearing Merino socks, underwear, and T-shirts.  Amazing ability to thermally regulate your body temperature, moisture, and very comfortable weather in the office or outdoors.  These are a win-win no matter where you are and I can keep a change of clothes and other gear in the truck.  

Sorta think of my base layers as my superhero costume under my work disguise and my truck as a cache' for whatever else I might need.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 3:33:28 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Sorta think of my base layers as my superhero costume under my work disguise and my truck as a cache' for whatever else I might need.
View Quote

Ha! nice one. :)
FerFAL
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 4:51:37 AM EDT
[#26]
Snowboarding apparel might be a good place to look. It is made out of technical materials, but it is often styled to look like street clothes. For example, I've seen lots of softshell pants from snowboarding lines that look absolutely identical to a pair of jeans.

As for those who have to dress formally at work, Arcteryx makes a line of clothing that is very technical yet formal, i.e. a goretex shell that can be worn with a suit.

Trail running shoes with Gore Tex often look just like a pair of regular old running shoes, yet they perform extremely well in technical terrain.

The main thing is to never wear cotton, especially the socks. I never wear cotton socks, ever. Smartwool all the way. Trust me, once you try them you will never go back. No more sweaty, smelly feet!
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 7:49:34 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Agreed... they're certainly not the best wet-weather gear. Having an extra pair handy can mitigate it somewhat, but even that doesn't really help much if you're in a steady rain or repeatedly getting wet for some other reason.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FerFAL

I guess that all means pack and wear what your region would dictate.

In Florida some synthetic cloths, because you get wet a lot there,

In the desert some light cotton clothes because it's hot and dry.

In the city, Jeans would be fine depending on the season.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 9:32:37 AM EDT
[#28]
Unless you're changing your lifestyle and fashion sense, what ya got is what ya got.

I think the focus should be closer to what should I throw in the trunk or pack to cover me for reasonable weather conditions or an overnight nap outdoors.  

Link Posted: 3/26/2015 1:03:36 PM EDT
[#29]
I've heard the deluth trading company fire hose pants are really tough. Just heavy canvas pants.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 10:41:07 AM EDT
[#30]
I normally wear deep-pocket cargo shorts, T-shirts and sandals here in hot South Texas.  But............I keep a duffel bag filled with brown/green hiking and rain gear in my vehicle, and I never go anywhere without my vehicle.  Bottom line:  you don't need to wear it every day as long as you always have it with you.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 11:40:25 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I normally wear deep-pocket cargo shorts, T-shirts and sandals here in hot South Texas.  But............I keep a duffel bag filled with brown/green hiking and rain gear in my vehicle, and I never go anywhere without my vehicle.  Bottom line:  you don't need to wear it every day as long as you always have it with you.
View Quote

But that's kind of what I want to change. besides having spare clothes, the idea is to make your normal daily wear as capable as possible. (merino wool underwear, socks and Tshirt) better pants, top, capable shoes and such.
FerFAL
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 12:08:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

But that's kind of what I want to change. besides having spare clothes, the idea is to make your normal daily wear as capable as possible. (merino wool underwear, socks and Tshirt) better pants, top, capable shoes and such.
FerFAL
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

FerFAL

The more technical the clothing the more it gives away intentions /hobby /etc ...like many scream camo is xyz...you strut around in a north face jacket..lowa boots...it raises flags in another direction.. .just gotta find that compromise .....

Link Posted: 3/31/2015 12:42:54 PM EDT
[#33]
No one mentioned VertX yet. If you're stuck wearing khakis at work, these shouldn't be a problem. I wear mine when I have to go into the office, to church, and everywhere in between. Still wear jeans around the house, but agree with others that jeans aren't great if you get wet.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 12:47:45 PM EDT
[#34]
I typically wear some variety of lightweight khakis and a polo to work, hiking boots every day.

I keep a change of socks, rain jacket etc in my truck.

I could make it home from work overnight if I had to hoof it.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 2:26:39 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

FerFAL
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

FerFAL

Two is one, one is none.

Have had soaked jeans plenty of times before.

EDIT: Cold climates, wool. Warm climates jeans. If you're worried about hypothermia.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 2:28:11 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
"Cotton Kills"
View Quote

"Cotton Saves"
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 6:24:52 PM EDT
[#37]
Not in south Texas summers. Under armor is good for one day then sticks so bad ( if you have to wear it more than one day).   This is a SHTF forum   50/50 blend is best for undershirts. Lightweight Diluth cargo's are great and
Come water resistance.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 7:04:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Ideally you’d have more freedom and here’s where I’d like to get the ball rolling. Everyday clothes, nothing that makes you look like a psychopath, no all-camo or all black ninja or solider outfit, but functional clothing. As tactical as possible from a practical point of view, yet looking as non-assuming as you can. This will depend on what people around you wear. If you work in a freaking hunting lodge then maybe everyone around you wears camo, but other than that, for normal everyday use in a semi-formal to casual dress code, what would you go for?
View Quote

Well, I do wear military uniforms on a daily basis, but I really hate the issued ACU uniforms; Velcro pockets suck ass, the ACU camouflage sticks out unless you’re in a formation of another 100 ACU-dressed troopers and the material is not as robust as the old BDUs.  So, I do have an emergency set of clothing that gets seasonally changed and left in my office.

For everyday work around the house, cotton or a combination of cotton-synthetic provide the most robust utility/work clothing (heavier and quality stitching are important); wool outer-wear clothing for colder temps is prudent.  I love synthetic clothing for backpacking, but the quality necessary often means much more expensive.  My issued ECWCS Gen III clothing set was excellent when paired with a utility uniform, but pricing that on the market (in non-camo-colors), would drive up the cost significantly.

For pants, I really like the cost-effective, solid color ACU types.  I much prefer button cargo pockets, but in drab colors, they can pass for regular pants and a good 50/50 material is both robust and dries pretty quickly.  Another trick is to just get them pressed from the cleaners.  They look like many casual-clothes-day workers and the creases provide a little “respectable look” if you need to quickly E&E out of an office environment.  These can be purchased for under $20 when on sale at some of the larger “tactical” clothing sites.  Propper is one of the better makes, but cost a little more.  

Other options can range in price.  I really like RailRiders, Kuhl, Prana (jeans) or some outdoor, blended khakis (like Sierra Designs which I just snagged two pair for almost 70% off).  I have some heavy jeans for work around the house, but If I’m planning on significant movement on foot, I need to a balance tough with light-weight and it often costs a little more.  Everybody’s situation (and budget) will be different, but the key is to find what works well for you and is both comfortable for a wide-range of activities as well and durable enough to withstand rough use.

I’m another big proponent of wool under-clothing and socks.  I wear Ex Officio underwear most of the year but I have a few pair of merino wool briefs for colder temps.  I’ll wear merino wool socks year round and even in high humidity and hot temps.  They have really saved my feet from fungus and funk.  I’m in uniform and I work in an office environment every week.  I wear the same pair of light-weight merino wool socks all week with combat boots; I absolutely love them.

If I could choose, I would opt for a merino wool T-shirt.  Even with pro-discounts, they’re pretty expensive.  For moderate temps, a solid color cotton T-shirt is okay as long as you have other layers.  When it gets hot and real wet and cold, I would much prefer synthetic (and deal with the long-term stink) or just invest in a couple merino wool T-shirts.  I have some Coolmax (synthetic), older “Army brown” T-shirts that serve this purpose well storage in my office or truck.

I really like the protection and strength of decent-quality, synthetic, long-sleeve button shirts.  Some are pretty heavy and some are very lightweight.  Solid, drab colors go a long way provide a gray-man approach, but most of these shirts are good protection from UV and bugs, dry fast and robust enough to work hard in.  I have a few blended shirts from 5.11; other good fully synthetic shirts from Columbia, Arborwear, Craghoppers and Ex Officio range in price and style, but I’ve had great luck with them.  I do have a couple of “cold weather” shirts, but they are the 1951 Korean-war wool shirts; they’re not merino (read a little scratchy), but they are heavy and quite tough.  

For layers, I think fleece is the best bargain.  Now is the time to hit Cabelas or any other outdoor sporting good stores to pick up seasonal sales.  Other than a little bulky for a pack, they are pretty light, dry quickly and insulate pretty good (especially with a wind shell).  Wool sweaters are hard to beat, especially for cold weather and if you search hard enough you can find good deals at surplus stores or Salvation Army stores.  If you buy modern quality, it can be expensive, but not short on performance.

I think outwear can range widely.  For a work jacket, a good cotton-canvas jacket is okay; heavily waxed jackets, better.  These are often the dirty-work jackets.  I still carry and recommend a quality rain jacket (and pants), but you want a heavy jacket that can take abuse.  I love soft-shells for a lot of activities, but they’re not always the best in a heavy down-pour and the abrasion-resistant ones (that actually work) often cost more than most are willing to pay.  The good news is that several high-end soft shell jackets look pretty good and could pass in a corporate environment to a degree.  I have a few older Gore-Tex jackets that work for me (they’ve been retreated).  They may not be as waterproof, but they do well at blocking the wind.  

If I was in a more business environment, I would want a quality soft-shell jacket that integrates with khakis and button shirt with the addition of a heavy waxed-cotton rain coat (think Duluth or Filson) to give you a very robust outer later would be ideal.  Throw in a micro-fleece or merino wool sweater and you have a decent system that would transition from civil-work day to chaotic emergency.  

Footwear is important.  There are some quality SHTF dress shoes on the market, but they are priced to reflect that quality.  I think it’s important to find something that is comfortable; shoes/boots you can run in and durable enough to walk in for a few dozen miles if needed.  I wear Belleville Mini-Mil (minimalist style) boots at work.  These would work just fine with a pair of jeans or cargo pants.  If it was a more corporate environment and I wore dress shoes, I would strongly consider a pair of chukka-type boots for grabbing as I vacate the office area or vehicle.  

Don’t neglect the “accessory” clothing items; hats, fleece or wool ‘watch-cap’, gloves, heavy duty (ala gun) belt, etc.  These are often seasonal dependent, but very valuable even during the seasonal transitions of spring and fall.  Long johns (again, I prefer merino wool) are good to have packed up when it’s really cold and mostly static activity.  I have been trying some "bamboo" athletic socks for warmer weather and they've been holding up quite well.  These may be a good option for rotational wear.

I’m of the opinion that “bug out” clothing that goes in the pack and worn on the back are often vastly different than clothing you could keep at the BOL or home.  Weight and travel distance (along with season and location) will dictate the most appropriate choices which are also influenced by one’s personal budget or willingness to take the time and find good deals.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 12:16:50 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Wrangler Riggs ranger pants 10oz cotton ripstop with a double layer from mid thigh to mid calf.  You can wax them to make them waterproof.
View Quote

Those are great pants, I'm wearing them right now. Lightweight, dry fast, very sturdy. Good work pants, not "tactical."

I work outdoors, usually alone in rural areas. Dirty physical job, no fashion requirements. I wear Wrangler Riggs when it's warm out, thicker cotton Carhartts when it's colder. I bought a few pair of the latter some years ago, stupid sturdy pants. If it's wet out I wear raingear (bibs and jacket).

For boots I wear Gore-tex Red Wings or Keens, or if it's wet out Bogs/Mucks (whatever's on sale).

For shirts, cheap cotton t-shirts from Goodwill and a long-sleeve flannel shirt or lightweight fleece. I'm covered in raingear if it's raining. I'm moving all day, the "cotton kills" thing only applies if you get wet and stop moving.

If it's really really cold I'll wear polypro long johns, but it rarely gets that cold here in western Oregon. Ditto with watch caps, usually I just wear a ball cap, but if it's <20 F and not raining, I'll wear a watch cap (polypro or wool).

I prefer cotton socks, though I have some Merinos (tend to wear out faster in the heel in my experience). Polypro = stinky feet. My favorite socks are cotton Wranglers, they don't slip, plenty of cushion (important when walking all day). They get wet and stay wet, but my feet don't get cold since I'm moving all day.

I keep a change of clothes in the truck, plus wool blanket and spare rain gear.

Only way to tell what works for you is to spend a week or ten out in the field testing it for yourself. I never wear any "tactical" clothes, don't own any. I look like a blue collar slob, because that's what I am. I blend right in where I live
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 9:30:39 AM EDT
[#40]
Woolrich- Elite 44909 Denim Discreet Pants
I have been wearing them for years and extra pockets dont stand out even loaded.
Hard to find now and I dont know what to replace with.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 5:20:09 PM EDT
[#41]
For pants I have been very impressed with the Kuhl Rydr.

http://www.rei.com/product/796581/kuhl-rydr-pants-mens-34-inseam

They hold up well in a business casual environment, but are very comfortable for hiking and even rock climbing. You can do any physical activity and not feel like they are grabbing or holding you back.

I wear these most days in "gun metal" or "khaki" colors, and am able to get 500+ uses with no problem.

Link Posted: 4/1/2015 8:36:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Rock6, Protus and a couple others mentioned underwear. I'm interested in getting rid of my cotton underwear, they're the last thing in my daily wear that needs replaced. I've been wearing Smartwool socks and I like them. But it seems Smartwool underwear would be too hot. I get swamp-ass as it is in the summer with cotton. I need something to keep me cool and dry.

Any recommendations? I'm not interested in any Polypro.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 8:52:33 PM EDT
[#43]
Budget wise best I've used so far is the addidas clima lite and clima cool. The cool ones are pretty much mesh...the others (lite) more along the lines of a micro fiber mesh like under armor.

Link Posted: 4/2/2015 8:09:10 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
My SHTF uniform consists of a beanie, speedos and flip flops.
View Quote

Same here, but I include NVGs, a snorkel, and I light coat of CLP.

Eta: Sorry

On topic: I wear Carhart work shirts and cargo pants every day. They are pretty tough. And even though they are cotton, they aren't quite as bad as jeans when wet. I try to keep a set of quick dry clothes in the truck, though.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 8:25:19 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
For layers, I think fleece is the best bargain.  Now is the time to hit Cabelas or any other outdoor sporting good stores to pick up seasonal sales.  Other than a little bulky for a pack, they are pretty light, dry quickly and insulate pretty good (especially with a wind shell).  Wool sweaters are hard to beat, especially for cold weather and if you search hard enough you can find good deals at surplus stores or Salvation Army stores.  If you buy modern quality, it can be expensive, but not short on performance.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

FWIW, I have been moving away from fleece for sub-freezing temps, or extended time when outside in the 30s. IMO, the warmth-to-weigh ratio isn't as good as wool or the modern light-but-warm puffy insulators like Primaloft or Coreloft. A couple items which have worked well for me:

Swiss surplus wool sweater. It's heavy, but very well made and warm. Looks nice to enough to wear anywhere. The only thing that would make it better would be if it had a full zip front for better temp regulation, and to make putting it on or taking it off a little easier.

Arc'Teryx Atom LT Hoody. It has Arc's Coreloft insulation combined with stretchy side panels for ventilation. Unbelievably warm for its weight, which is basically nothing. Great as a midlayer under a shell, or outer layer in milder weather.

Someone else in this thread mentioned wearing technical gear on a daily basis and not wanting to stand out. It depends on where you are. E.g., I work in Center City Philadelphia. During Fall, Winter, and Spring, the single most popular brand of jacket that I see is The North Face. Other brands like Mountain Hardwear, Columbia, and Patagonia are well represented. You also see Spyder, Mammut, and Arc.

Edit to add:

I can't believe I forgot to mention the Orvis Foul Weather Lined Sweater. It looks good enough to wear into the office or out to dinner, but it's windproof, water repellent, and warm by itself down into the mid 30s. Freaking AWESOME garment.

Link Posted: 4/2/2015 1:06:52 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
FWIW, I have been moving away from fleece for sub-freezing temps, or extended time when outside in the 30s. IMO, the warmth-to-weigh ratio isn't as good as wool or the modern light-but-warm puffy insulators like Primaloft or Coreloft. A couple items which have worked well for me:

Someone else in this thread mentioned wearing technical gear on a daily basis and not wanting to stand out. It depends on where you are. E.g., I work in Center City Philadelphia. During Fall, Winter, and Spring, the single most popular brand of jacket that I see is The North Face. Other brands like Mountain Hardwear, Columbia, and Patagonia are well represented. You also see Spyder, Mammut, and Arc.

Edit to add:

I can't believe I forgot to mention the Orvis Foul Weather Lined Sweater. It looks good enough to wear into the office or out to dinner, but it's windproof, water repellent, and warm by itself down into the mid 30s. Freaking AWESOME garment.
View Quote

I absolutely agree, but for the cost, synthetic fleece is a great option for stuffing in a bugout bag, office or vehicle.  I’m a big advocate of modern merino wool (Icebreaker, Ibex, First-Lite, etc.); for base and mid-layers, they are hard to beat when looking for robust performance.  A staple in my backpacking pack is a “dri-down” hooded jacket (Sierra Designs) which is just simply awesome insulation for the weight and compactness.  It literally feels like I’m wrapping up in an electric blanket within minutes of putting it.  They would get more use after a SHTF, but neither of those products are destined for emergency only use.  If I could wear them daily, I would.  Again, fleece is just a good budget-minded option as are the surplus wool clothing.

You do bring up a good point about how attire and clothing choices are heavily influenced by your work environment.  The good news is there are tons of options for the widest spectrum of budgets.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 2:15:18 PM EDT
[#47]
I know women like to call their  girlfriends and ask them what clothes they are wearing, colors, materials, style etc. etc. etc., but so far I have not had to resort  to calling my buddies to ask them the same questions. As for what I wear each day depends on the weather and I dress accordingly but I do favor starting out with a t-shirt, levis and my cowboy boots along with my sweat stained Stetson and go from there.
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 5:47:10 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I absolutely agree, but for the cost, synthetic fleece is a great option for stuffing in a bugout bag, office or vehicle.  I’m a big advocate of modern merino wool (Icebreaker, Ibex, First-Lite, etc.); for base and mid-layers, they are hard to beat when looking for robust performance.  A staple in my backpacking pack is a “dri-down” hooded jacket (Sierra Designs) which is just simply awesome insulation for the weight and compactness.  It literally feels like I’m wrapping up in an electric blanket within minutes of putting it.  They would get more use after a SHTF, but neither of those products are destined for emergency only use.  If I could wear them daily, I would.  Again, fleece is just a good budget-minded option as are the surplus wool clothing.

You do bring up a good point about how attire and clothing choices are heavily influenced by your work environment.  The good news is there are tons of options for the widest spectrum of budgets.

ROCK6
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Edit to add:

ROCK6

Got to agree there.I've got some fancier Arcteryx midlayer that yes, is lighter and just as warm as thicker syntethic fleece, but then again for normal wear the average outdoor synthetic fleece still works pretty well for the money.
FerFAL
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 7:04:04 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Rock6, Protus and a couple others mentioned underwear. I'm interested in getting rid of my cotton underwear, they're the last thing in my daily wear that needs replaced. I've been wearing Smartwool socks and I like them. But it seems Smartwool underwear would be too hot. I get swamp-ass as it is in the summer with cotton. I need something to keep me cool and dry.

Any recommendations? I'm not interested in any Polypro.
View Quote

You're ass can't get more swamped than hiking 50+miles in the GA/NC AT during July when the temps are around 90-degrees and humidity is off the charts.  Without a breeze, nothing I wore would dry out.  I was using Ex Officio's briefs and they did pretty good.  I did have to build a small fire a couple evenings just to dry my socks, underwear and shirt.  I like merino wool underwear in the fall through spring, but they can be difficult to get dry when it's really hot and humid...you would be better off going commando.  I did wear a lightweight merino wool shirt and since nothing really dried out, it was a blessing to not have the funky smell (like my wife).  The only issue with such high humidity and always being wet gives you a false sense of hydration since your skin often feels cool with a slight breeze and you really can't gauge your sweat...I always erred on the side of over-hydration and just bear the burden of my sweat and peeing every half mile!

Speaking of sweat, this is where it's nice to have fast drying clothes.  As your sweat dehydrates and leaves salts behind, it's like abrasive sandpaper against your skin.  You almost have to rinse your clothes every night and allow to dry as much as possible.  

ROCK6
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 9:23:10 PM EDT
[#50]
For every day wear I go with OD or tan BDU pants.  A fleece pull over, zip up, or hoodie.  A carhart or other vest might be added on occasion.  When it gets cold I layer a bit more, or break out a gortex winter jacket.  

I wear a stupid uniform at work.  

When I head into the woods I always have on combinations of wool, fleece, and gortex (or other brands like dry-plus.)  I like them all, and they all work well depending on application.

I have put some serious miles on in the wet cold mountains with just fleece and gortex and have always been comfortable.  I know many push wool, but I honestly think fleece and modern materials can give it a good run for its money (especially when you compare cost of quality gear.)  That said I almost always wear wool socks when its wet, cold, or if I am headed into the woods.  I prefer a Marino wool blend.  If its really cold I will put a 100% wool button up on just incase I get really wet and/or if something happens that has me spending the night in said wet cold conditions.  Even so I always have a dry fleece pull over on, or in my pack.  They are warm, even when wet, and dry quick if need be.  Don't forget cheap...  Quality wool is NOT cheap.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top