Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/23/2015 10:06:44 AM EDT
So I have been toying with the idea of getting some type of rifle that is more of a tack driver. Mostly a range toy but be useful if SHTF. I have both 223 and 308 rifles also reload for both so ammo not so much of an issue. The SPR I'm thinking about building is going to be off an AR-15 in 223 the bolt action is going to be 308 and it is between a Savage model 10 and Ruger American and would like to hear from people about that also.

Like I said I'm toying with this idea! I have money saved up just for firearms so I'm not looking for the buy ammo/training/food or other things I have money set aside for all of that! I'm just looking for a good pro and con to both sides right now, Like I said I'm not set on doing this still have 20 Glock 21 mags that need a Glock 21 to fit in and also really want a 45LC wheel gun because I just like the caliber and feel it is a great round also I can use the same cast bullets for it that I use on my 45 ACP.

SPR AR-15 pros I got so far is that: Everyone in my family will know how to use it as they all have AR-15, Less recoil, Holds more ammo, cost less for ammo.

308 Bolt action pros: Its a 308! More accurate of a weapon without spending as much. I can spend more on optics, More power, Able to take large game better, Rifle is cheaper.

Would like to hear what you all have to say and how you all feel about this! Thanks!!
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 10:23:29 AM EDT
[#1]
I went with a 300 win mag bolt. Lot less $$ than a good ar10, and more powerful.

Even take a good hard look at a 300 Ultra Mag. Had one in my youth, was a beast! Actually sold it to my uncle for money to buy my first AR15 many moons ago.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 11:09:46 AM EDT
[#2]
My savage 300wsm has been great fir what it cost me. It needs better glass and well the round sucks ($$$$) ..
I shoulda got it in 308 but I was young ....
IMHO...if I had to do it over id get a base model in 308... keep barrel at 18-20... spend extra on decent glass...make it as light as possible ...

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 11:17:47 AM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

My savage 300wsm has been great fir what it cost me. It needs better glass and well the round sucks ($$$$) ..

I shoulda got it in 308 but I was young ....

IMHO...if I had to do it over id get a base model in 308... keep barrel at 18-20... spend extra on decent glass...make it as light as possible ...

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote
If you reload, the per round cost between any 30 cal would be minimal. Should reload for max accuracy anyway!

Link Posted: 3/23/2015 11:50:49 AM EDT
[#4]
The only advantage your 308 will have over the spr is range. More than likely accuracy will be equal. For your shtf gun the spr ar will be more versatile. When you need your gun to be a HD gun the 308 bolt gun is going to suck.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 12:36:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
a tack driver. Mostly a range toy but be useful if SHTF.
View Quote

Since AR's and other rifles in both calibers can be tack drivers I define tack driver as the most accurate guns I own.  Bolt.

Quite to carry, operate and shoot.  It slows you down, it makes you think and if I stay within my known abilities I will not miss.  If Shit gets bad, I would drop it for an AR because now we have left the realm of tack driver and its more about painting with a much larger brush.  AR's are versatile, bolts are very simple to operate yet specialized in their application.  It is good business to own bolts in the same calibers you already run in semi auto.

Being a simple gun, bolts are also a great gun to get tons of advice on how to turn into tack drivers without spending $2-$3k.  With your reloader and a can you will get dialed in to exactly where you want to be.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 2:15:01 PM EDT
[#6]
You didn't say what ranges you plan to shoot at, but I say go with the SPR.

Lets face it, 5.56 is cheap and does pretty good out to 600 yards and can be pushed further if need be. This doesn't have to be fancy or expensive. Even a block ii M4 with good glass can do it, but a longer barrel might be appreciated. It also tends to blow around more and it great for learning to read wind.

With today's advances in .308 ARs, I don't really see the need for a bolt gun in the cartridge. .308 gives you an additional 200-300 yards on 5.56 and an easier time with the wind, but can still be pushed out past 1000 yards. ARs are plenty accurate for these ranges, but the rifles do get more expensive.

Finally, someone mentioned .300 win mag in an earlier post. If I wanted a long range bolt gun it would be in that or .338 Lapua. IMO this is where the bolt action really makes sense. We could also go with a 6.5 whatever and save money/our shoulders, but I'm just going to take about the first two. Some people equate .338 Lapua to shooting $5 bills, but I see that you reload. I wrote the following last year so the numbers have probably gone up, but it gives you an idea of how the two cartridges stack up cost wise:  

"You can get Norma brass for $2.40 a piece, 300gr Scenars for $0.75, add $0.30 of Alliant, and another $0.35 for primers and it comes to $3.80 for your first loading. That drops to $1.40 for the next 6 or so reloads, more if you anneal and don't push the velocity. Even if you add $0.30 a round to mitigate barrel wear it never gets above $4.10 a round. Do the same math with .300 win mag substituting a 185gr Scenar and it comes to around $2.58. That drops to $1.08, just 32 cents away from the .338 Lapua after all is said and done."

I don't recommend getting either right now, but you can see how .32 cents more gets you an additional 30-50% more range if you move up to the .338.

TL;DR version:
Buy good glass, put it on one of your existing ARs, shoot some 77gr OTMS, and see if you need more accuracy/range than what it gives you. You can adjust your decision from there. Good luck.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 9:37:04 PM EDT
[#7]
I really like my Ruger scout rifle. Went for the 18" full stainless version. Has the flash hider, box fed and durable as all hell, but is heavy and big, accuracy at 200 yards is the same as my Knights 16" AR which is light and small. If you are looking for a post collapse long range offensive weapon go for the bolt action .308 I am told people hide behind SH!T when being shot at. Other wise a good 5.56AR can do everything the bolt guns can. Want more power a .308 AR is good, as everyone in your family knows how to use an AR. Having shot all of them a used older Armalite AR10 for $1000 is the way I'd go.

I bought the scout rifle because I wanted one.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 11:43:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Range I'm not sure of I would like to try long range shooting 1,000 yards. If I'm going to go semi auto on the 308 I'd look at a M1A before AR-10. Found that AR-10 there are to many parts that only fit in one brand of rifle.

Another part to this is that I also would like something that wife and kids can shoot. 338 and others also 300 win mag are good rounds but have to much kick and I feel that ammo would be hard to find and cost of ammo does factor into this as I would like to become proficient with this weapon and it will be hard to do with ammo that cost $40 for box of 20.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 12:00:22 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Range I'm not sure of I would like to try long range shooting 1,000 yards. If I'm going to go semi auto on the 308 I'd look at a M1A before AR-10. Found that AR-10 there are to many parts that only fit in one brand of rifle.

Another part to this is that I also would like something that wife and kids can shoot. 338 and others also 300 win mag are good rounds but have to much kick and I feel that ammo would be hard to find and cost of ammo does factor into this as I would like to become proficient with this weapon and it will be hard to do with ammo that cost $40 for box of 20.
View Quote
You really need to reload for a large rifle eespecially if you want top accuracy.

FYI you can make massively reduced loads safely for the win mag with a sspecific powder. We are talking pistol vvelocities.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 1:09:40 AM EDT
[#10]
I have a savage model 10 in .308.  Outside of hunting (hiking all over God's creation), I'd rather have a semi-auto.  I'm really thinking of selling it to fund an AR-10.  I've thought about an M1A as well (something about that rifle draws me in, the scout especially), but I've been told it costs less to have an accurate AR-10 than an accurate M1A.  Sharing the same manual of arms with my current ARs, and $20 pmags vs $50 M1A mags really just makes sense.

There's a lot of flat terrain out here, so having the extra range is comforting.  I also think having the extra punch would be nice if you were trying to stop vehicles (fantasy shtf).
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 9:01:59 AM EDT
[#11]
You've been a member since 2001 and you still ask basic firearms questions.  At the end of the day, only you can decide what is truly best for your situation.

You mention you already have bolt action in 223 and 308, so would you need anther bolt action?  If you already have a 308, that caliber will get you to 1,000 yards + with right bullet.  If it was my money, I'd get another caliber to extend your range as 308 will go you to 1,000 yards, but it's not the best option.

You should consider something in the 300WM as you will be able to reach 2,000 yards and still use the same bullets as your 308...I'd recommend going with 208gr Amax, so you can use it in 308/300WM.

Just remember that just because a firearm is capable of precision and "long range" it doesn't mean that the shooter is up to par.  Having the equipment is great, but not having the skills to meet the firearms potential is pointless.   I hope you aren't foolish enough to think that you are just going to wake up one day and say I'm going to shoot to X distance because I have an SPR/bolt gun that can do the job.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 4:34:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 4:39:56 PM EDT
[#13]
There was some good vid of someone shooting ground hogs at 800yds with a varmint ar. But then you could shoot deer at 800yds with the 308.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 5:15:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 6:51:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Buy the 308 bolt then start saving for an AR10.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 2:25:02 AM EDT
[#16]
When I stop and think a DM type rifle would be more of what I'm looking for I don't need 1,000 yard shots if I have to shoot past 500-600 yards then it would be for fun with this rifle. Just a good mid-weight barrel 16 or 18 inches with a 1-4x scope would be best?
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 12:23:39 PM EDT
[#17]
My newish SPR and yote gun. 18" fluted match barrel just installed. Can't wait to shoot it...1.5-6x32 illuminated scope..

Still gets my vote as most versatile...

Link Posted: 3/25/2015 12:40:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
So I have been toying with the idea of getting some type of rifle that is more of a tack driver. Mostly a range toy but be useful if SHTF. I have both 223 and 308 rifles also reload for both so ammo not so much of an issue. The SPR I'm thinking about building is going to be off an AR-15 in 223 the bolt action is going to be 308 and it is between a Savage model 10 and Ruger American and would like to hear from people about that also.

Like I said I'm toying with this idea! I have money saved up just for firearms so I'm not looking for the buy ammo/training/food or other things I have money set aside for all of that! I'm just looking for a good pro and con to both sides right now, Like I said I'm not set on doing this still have 20 Glock 21 mags that need a Glock 21 to fit in and also really want a 45LC wheel gun because I just like the caliber and feel it is a great round also I can use the same cast bullets for it that I use on my 45 ACP.

SPR AR-15 pros I got so far is that: Everyone in my family will know how to use it as they all have AR-15, Less recoil, Holds more ammo, cost less for ammo.

308 Bolt action pros: Its a 308! More accurate of a weapon without spending as much. I can spend more on optics, More power, Able to take large game better, Rifle is cheaper.

Would like to hear what you all have to say and how you all feel about this! Thanks!!
View Quote

Why not AR10, and get the design you know, and the round that you want?
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 1:48:20 PM EDT
[#19]
AR-10 clone!
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 3:35:47 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm still not clear what your goal is, but I'll add this.

My favorite rife to grab for patrolling our ranch (by foot or otherwise) is a 14.5", .556 w/ a 1x4 Meopta K-Dot and an A2 stock. Perhaps not the tack-driver of a bolt with nice glass, but I am confident out to 400 yards, depending on the firing position.

It sounds like you already have a couple "stand-off" bolt guns for a static position. Me too, but I'd prefer not to lug around magnums with big glass and low capacity.

The likelihood of me ever needing to make shots in self defense at more than 300 yards is slim at best.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 4:16:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The likelihood of me ever needing to make shots in self defense at more than 300 yards is slim at best.
View Quote

This right here. Not only self defense but for taking game as well. Let's be generous and say 500 yards for that matter. Well within the capabilities on the semi-auto platform and allows the versatility of all AR10/15 accessories. The only pro I can think of offhand for a bolt gun only would be the weight savings (depending on how it's outfitted, AI's are heavy).
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 6:22:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Recce style 5.56 rifle, since you mentioned other family members.  I built a collapsible stock 18" match barrel SPR and shortly after realized I could have gone shorter still maintaining great accuracy with less weight.  Maybe I need to build just one more ... it just never ends.  Having already a tacked out 7.62 bolt gun I'd rather carry a 14.5/16" free floated, magnified optic 5.56 even for deer or defense.  Hornady 5.56 TAP URBAN has put deer meat in my freezer.  Almost all shots have left fully expanded rounds with 100% of energy dumped into the deer without extra energy wasted with over penetration. Prior to that ammo coming out I had decent luck with standard soft points.  If it works on whitetails it will take care of the majority of my concerns.  Taking deer with expanding 5.56 rounds is legal where I live. Shot placement still matters as one can pound a handful of .270 rounds into the guts of a deer and you can spend a night tracking them for miles.

An older pic of the SPR.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 1:15:23 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Recce style 5.56 rifle, since you mentioned other family members.  I built a collapsible stock 18" match barrel SPR and shortly after realized I could have gone shorter still maintaining great accuracy with less weight.  Maybe I need to build just one more ... it just never ends.  Having already a tacked out 7.62 bolt gun I'd rather carry a 14.5/16" free floated, magnified optic 5.56 even for deer or defense.  Hornady 5.56 TAP URBAN has put deer meat in my freezer.  Almost all shots have left fully expanded rounds with 100% of energy dumped into the deer without extra energy wasted with over penetration. Prior to that ammo coming out I had decent luck with standard soft points.  If it works on whitetails it will take care of the majority of my concerns.  Taking deer with expanding 5.56 rounds is legal where I live. Shot placement still matters as one can pound a handful of .270 rounds into the guts of a deer and you can spend a night tracking them for miles.

An older pic of the SPR.
<a href="http://s228.photobucket.com/user/tangotag_bucket/media/SPR.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee73/tangotag_bucket/SPR.jpg</a>
View Quote

How much did that upper set you back?
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 9:41:07 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

An older pic of the SPR.
<a href="http://s228.photobucket.com/user/tangotag_bucket/media/SPR.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee73/tangotag_bucket/SPR.jpg</a>

Palmetto uppers...
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 9:42:49 AM EDT
[#25]
And I see votes for an AR10 too...

The actual correct answer is to get both...or all 3...

Build your 556 and buy a lower for your preferred 308 AR..

Build the 308 when you have the money..
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 11:14:20 AM EDT
[#26]
You already have 556 & 308?

"Tack driver" comes down to cash. What's your budget?
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 3:11:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Recce style 5.56 rifle, since you mentioned other family members.  I built a collapsible stock 18" match barrel SPR ... <snip>

I had the cheap rail but other components:
BCM SS410 $300, BCM BCG, $150, Upper receiver $100, Viltor SS gas block $50, BCM Gunfighter Mod 4 $40 = $640 ish.
After the posted pic I had the barrel and gas block media blasted and sprayed and baked in Gunkote Black.  I also have Troy HK Irons and a Harris swivel bipod on a American Defense quick release mount for the rifle too.  But after it was finished with accurate range results, I wished I had gone a little shorter.

Link Posted: 3/26/2015 3:19:56 PM EDT
[#28]
I did an 18" 223 SPR and love the ever loving hell out of it. Seriously great gun... if Im ten steps from my truck bed. With the bipod and scope, it is heavy. For actual field use, hunting, stalking... Im grabbing a bolt gun or the 16" Recee.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 10:37:53 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I did an 18" 223 SPR and love the ever loving hell out of it. Seriously great gun... if Im ten steps from my truck bed. With the bipod and scope, it is heavy. For actual field use, hunting, stalking... Im grabbing a bolt gun or the 16" Recee.
View Quote

Why is your SPR so heavy?
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 6:58:33 PM EDT
[#30]
I keep writing barrel companies and they keep telling me to get the barrel in 223 Wylde I have never heard anything about it how does if differ from 223?
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 12:44:02 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because its not a light weight bolt action. Rounding... Eight pounds of AR, one pound of scope, one pound of bipod, add ammo..., or six pounds of bolt action. Those are all out of the air numbers but the point remains that a bolt action is going to be lighter.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 12:48:47 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I keep writing barrel companies and they keep telling me to get the barrel in 223 Wylde I have never heard anything about it how does if differ from 223?
View Quote

Wylde is tighter, tighter is more... Accurate? Precise? Whatever the dictionary explanation of those means repeatable. To me, tight means ability to jamb up so I went NATO to be a little more forgiving considering I don't reload for 223 so I know it will shoot anything I buy really well instead of the perfect load amazingly well.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 2:31:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

.223 is a tighter chamber than 5.56. It is theoretically more accurate but consequently less reliable than 5.56. Additionally you shouldn't run 5.56 in a .223 chamber because 5.56 is a higher pressure round.

Wylde chamber is in between .223 and 5.56. It can fire both .223 and 5.56 but since it is a little tighter it is supposed to be a little more accurate than 5.56 chambers. It is a compromise. Wylde chamber with a 1/8 twist is a pretty common configuration on some stainless barrels where you want a little more precision. My cousin's AR is set up like this and he likes it. Take that for what it is worth.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 4:07:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
When I stop and think a DM type rifle would be more of what I'm looking for I don't need 1,000 yard shots if I have to shoot past 500-600 yards then it would be for fun with this rifle. Just a good mid-weight barrel 16 or 18 inches with a 1-4x scope would be best?
View Quote

I think a FAL will do what you're looking for. Hard hitting 308, accurate, tough as nails. If you want more accuracy then sure,  go for a bolt action 308W, better yet 300WM, but for something fast and accurate at most realistic ranges then a semi auto 308 like the FAL will do VERY nicely.
FerFAL
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 5:43:30 PM EDT
[#35]
What is your budget? For ND I'd probably lean on 7.62 over 5.56 just because your normal engagements could be out there a ways and probably have some wind involved.  7.62 would do better just because it would carry more energy to targets in the 250-600m range and buck the wind better (consistency wise). And if you're only getting one it may as well be a semi auto right?

I'll probably get boo'd for this but take a look at the Larue tOBR in 7.62.  You could get a short barrel, a longer barrel if you want to do a lot of 1k shooting (I've taken my 16" out to 880m and it is boaring to shoot a propane bottle at that distance).  Also other calibers like .338 Federal and 300 WSM are in the works which give the single platform a lot of flexibility for what you are looking to do.

I wouldn't get a current production M1A the quality just isn't what it used to be.  Also using optics is a royal pain unless you do some serious work on the stock.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 6:54:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I think a FAL will do what you're looking for. Hard hitting 308, accurate, tough as nails. If you want more accuracy then sure,  go for a bolt action 308W, better yet 300WM, but for something fast and accurate at most realistic ranges then a semi auto 308 like the FAL will do VERY nicely.
FerFAL
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

FerFAL

I'd hardly call the FAL accurate.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 10:00:08 AM EDT
[#37]
Almost any name brand bolt action 308 will be accurate enough and last forever.  What I bought a long time ago was a Savage 20" lightweight 308 Jeff Cooper style "Scout Rifle".  Got rid of the long-eye-relief mount that only worked well with short range red dots and put on a 3x9 traditional Leupold scope for all-around mountain hunting.  150gr handloads = 1/3" @ 100y.  Very lightweight, very accurate, moderate recoil.

AR-10 types are basically combat & self-defense rifles and 2 MOA accuracy is good enough for that application.  I was shooting a 16" Ruger SR-762 the other day with 1x-4x scope and the same handloads as above = 1 MOA @100y.  (Hornady inexpensive 150gr FMJ crimped in groove, 44.0 gr of Reloder 15, CCI primers, military once-fired cases, small base sizer). Heavy rifle, light recoil,100% reliability.

Link Posted: 3/31/2015 1:34:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

AR-10 types are basically combat & self-defense rifles and 2 MOA accuracy is good enough for that application.  I was shooting a 16" Ruger SR-762 the other day with 1x-4x scope and the same handloads as above = 1 MOA @100y.  (Hornady inexpensive 150gr FMJ crimped in groove, 44.0 gr of Reloder 15, CCI primers, military once-fired cases, small base sizer). Heavy rifle, light recoil,100% reliability.

View Quote

How 1980's of you

I find mine very accurate.

And great for HUNTING over "combat" (liberals don't need any ammo)

Link Posted: 3/31/2015 2:20:56 PM EDT
[#39]
SEA2:

I didn't say an AR-10 couldn't be a tack-driver.  What I said is that 2 MOA accuracy is plenty good enough for combat or self-defense.  Unless, of course, bad guy targets are a lot smaller now than in 1980?
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 2:34:30 PM EDT
[#40]
Not sure how this relates to survival, you'll get a lot better answers on precision rifles in that section of the site.

Anything in the 6mm to 6.5mm (.260) range if you want performance and weight savings.

I have a 6.5 Grendel, fits in AR package, much better ballistics and range. I'm still working on getting a custom brake so I can put a can on it.
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 5:49:10 AM EDT
[#41]
End all 308 debates if I buy another 308 win it will be a M1A enough said! You cant change my mind on that as I have been wanting the rifle since I was 12 or 13 years old. I'm mostly looking 223 because of price of the ammo along with the light recoil and weight so that even my youngest can shot the weapon and carry it if need be and he is going to be 9 this year.

Edited to add: The 308 debate is for semi auto rifles NOT bolt action! If I were to buy a semi auto 308 it would be a M1A sorry to confuse anyone!
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 9:06:31 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 10:21:26 AM EDT
[#43]
I just have an AR and an assortment of standard hunting rifles. 30-06, 243, 7mm Rem Mag, stuff that I regularly shoot and have the gear to reload, with good leupold and Nikon glass.

If I had something I needed to hammer at long range, the 7mm would be what I would pick up, not just because it's a 7mm, but because it's accurate and powerful. Just go pick something, 270 cal or larger and get the reloading dies.

I've been thinking about adding a short bolt action 223 to keep in the truck, but that's just for having something handy.
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 11:14:12 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FerFAL

Had one with a 1-4x and did my best to make it something it could never be (accurate). Agree with you completely.
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 12:53:53 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
End all 308 debates if I buy another 308 win it will be a M1A enough said! You cant change my mind on that as I have been wanting the rifle since I was 12 or 13 years old. I'm mostly looking 223 because of price of the ammo along with the light recoil and weight so that even my youngest can shot the weapon and carry it if need be and he is going to be 9 this year.
View Quote

Why even make this thread if you're going with an M1A??? hell, if you want to pay money for meh performance, go .223 and get the ruger Mini-14 while you're at it. Your youngest can keyhole with the best of them at 10 yards.

Or, you know, you can look beyond those two outdated cartridges and try the 6mm range of guns.
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 2:40:01 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm confused.....

You started the thread asking about getting a bolt action .308 and now you're into a M1A?

Link Posted: 4/9/2015 2:22:56 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Had one with a 1-4x and did my best to make it something it could never be (accurate). Agree with you completely.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FerFAL

My STG-58 has put 10 rounds in the head and 10 rounds in the X-ring on a pistol qual target at 1,000 yards. AGAIN I DID NOT SHOT THIS!! I had a 25+ year Marine scout sniper instructor do this. The ammo used was cheap Wolf ammo also. Not going to say the groups were tight but if it was a human target 1st shot would have killed you. Again this was a pro shooting this rifle.

Link Posted: 4/9/2015 2:23:06 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Why even make this thread if you're going with an M1A??? hell, if you want to pay money for meh performance, go .223 and get the ruger Mini-14 while you're at it. Your youngest can keyhole with the best of them at 10 yards.

Or, you know, you can look beyond those two outdated cartridges and try the 6mm range of guns.
View Quote

I look at the 6mm as a non common round! Can I go to a gas station and find 6mm ammo? Maybe I could see 243 Win as it is a popular round. Also the whole semi auto 308 debate  would be a M1A.

I like the 6mm and feel it is a great round and needs to be looked at by our military and police departments as it is the best of both the 223 and 308! But right now I'm not looking to get into a caliber that cost more and is not a common round. I would love for the 6.5 to take off but at $0.83 per round for Wolf ammo. Yes cheaper when I reload it  but in all costs a lot more to reload or buy and is harder to find then 223 or 308! If SHTF I want to know that I have a weapon that I can find ammo for because after I have no ammo then what use is a rifle to me?! No disrespect to the 6mm as I said it is a great round and IT SHOULD BE A NATO round!!

Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm confused.....

You started the thread asking about getting a bolt action .308 and now you're into a M1A?

View Quote

Sorry about that this was do to all the AR-10 comments if I were to buy a semi auto it would be a M1A. I need to go back and clear that one up!
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 2:42:07 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Good luck getting long range precision out of that M1A.

The cost for accuracy in an M1A system is typically $2000+ to get repeatable sub-MOA averaging 0.75 MOA.  Krieger barrels, or other match grade barrels, bedded actions, scope mounts, and a stock that gets you a good cheek weld anywhere near comfortable with the typical scope mount options is going to cost some serious $$$.

Ultimately, unless you're the US military pouring money into the outdated design to make it do things for which it was never really intended, it makes little fiscal sense to pour your own personal money into the system for what is basically just nostalgic sentiment.
View Quote
'

Please do tell more! I worked with SEAL teams in Iraq who loved there M1A. I know many Nam vets who also loved there M-14 I also know that they issued out old M-14 to are guys over in the middle east and they used them as DM rifles! The DM rifles had nothing more then a scope put on them. When I talked to several SEAL team guys about there M1A only thing I got was stock weapon and some had a scope on them for a back up for there sniper. Every SEAL sniper I transported had a M-14 style weapon and when I asked them why they said that it is a great back up for there bolt action IF something goes wrong and also it is a great fighting rifle. The spooks over in the middle east also love the M-14 type rifle I first hand saw many of these people who were not military and could tell my command what to do walk around with M-14 also M-79 really they looked right out of a Nam flick!

Not saying your not right but like you to teach me more! Also not looking for a sniper rifle just a DM rifle!
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 9:06:32 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

My STG-58 has put 10 rounds in the head and 10 rounds in the X-ring on a pistol qual target at 1,000 yards. AGAIN I DID NOT SHOT THIS!! I had a 25+ year Marine scout sniper instructor do this. The ammo used was cheap Wolf ammo also. Not going to say the groups were tight but if it was a human target 1st shot would have killed you. Again this was a pro shooting this rifle.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FerFAL

Are you trolling your own thread?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top