Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/11/2015 5:34:50 PM EDT
Hi guys.

For the past few years I've been buying cheap-assed rope in the hank at the hardware stores.  It's crap.  It's okay for stringing up a tarp or some other unimportant stuff.  However, its nothing more than a braided cover over a core of crap fiber.  It stretches and is generally, well, just crap. For real work  I've used twisted nylon for years.  Easy to handle, works well, easy to splice.  I know there is solid braid nylon, not to mention other types, twists, etc.

I'm needing a decent rope for pulling, hauling and repositioning stuff.  Initially, a dead moose.  Eventually, repositioning logs, recovering an ATV, etc.  I won't need a ton of shock resistance.  Its not going to be used to arrest falls. Not going to be used for climbing, or any substantial overhead loads.   I just don't want a rope that will stretch all to heck, then snap and go freaking crazy.  I do know about working rating vs breaking strength.

Here's my issues:  I do NOT want to spend $200 on a rope.  And I'm hoping that I can use a couple of pulleys with it on occasion, as well as prussik knots.  I'm not sure that something like twisted or even solid braid nylon will work well with a prussik.  Maybe its too slick.  I dunno.

Any recommendations for a good working rope for moving stuff that won't cost $3.00  a foot???  I ccan pick up a spool of 100 feet of 1/2" twisted nylon for a fair price.  I can also order solid braid nylon as well. Is one more suited than the other?  What about a different fiber?

Fro
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 5:42:38 PM EDT
[#1]
The kern-mantle rescue rope that our team uses has a recommended shelf life of about 10 years.  I have heard that the industry is shortening that standard to 5 years.

So the question is, what happens to that rope after it's well beyond it's shelf life?

Lot's of guys rotate that to "training" rope.  You know, since it's not safe to use for a real rescue we should be ok to hang on it for practice.  

You might look into buying the old ropes from your local FD or MABAS tech rescue team.  I have no idea what logistics or liability issues might be considered there, but if you're not hanging on it then there should be no concern.  Those ropes are rated just short of 10,000 lbs breaking strength and work GREAT with a prusik.  Definitely go through a pulley, should support a moose, don't think I would put the stress of towing on it.....
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 5:44:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Hi guys.

For the past few years I've been buying cheap-assed rope in the hank at the hardware stores.  It's crap.  It's okay for stringing up a tarp or some other unimportant stuff.  However, its nothing more than a braided cover over a core of crap fiber.  It stretches and is generally, well, just crap. For real work  I've used twisted nylon for years.  Easy to handle, works well, easy to splice.  I know there is solid braid nylon, not to mention other types, twists, etc.

I'm needing a decent rope for pulling, hauling and repositioning stuff.  Initially, a dead moose.  Eventually, repositioning logs, recovering an ATV, etc.  I won't need a ton of shock resistance.  Its not going to be used to arrest falls. Not going to be used for climbing, or any substantial overhead loads.   I just don't want a rope that will stretch all to heck, then snap and go freaking crazy.  I do know about working rating vs breaking strength.

Here's my issues:  I do NOT want to spend $200 on a rope.  And I'm hoping that I can use a couple of pulleys with it on occasion, as well as prussik knots.  I'm not sure that something like twisted or even solid braid nylon will work well with a prussik.  Maybe its too slick.  I dunno.

Any recommendations for a good working rope for moving stuff that won't cost $3.00  a foot???  I ccan pick up a spool of 100 feet of 1/2" twisted nylon for a fair price.  I can also order solid braid nylon as well. Is one more suited than the other?  What about a different fiber?

Fro
View Quote

Go to:  http://www.westmarine.com/

They have all kinds of different strength ropes.

I was immediately going to respond saying, get a big spool of paracord and a couple spools of #36 bank line and that will cover most of your normal uses...  For ATV or towing applications I use tow straps...  Then I read you want to use pulleys which would make me think you want something a little heavier.  Check out that website you might find what your looking for.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 6:10:10 PM EDT
[#3]
A dynamic rope / stap would be good for your ATV use, but I agree that static is what you need otherwise.  

I haven't priced them but arborist ropes may be cheaper than rescue / rock climbing ropes and should also work well for your applications.  I sure wouldn't use one for life safety applications after skidding logs and such, but you seem like you have enough sense to know that already.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 6:15:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 7:26:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Interesting.... that rope come along comes with 1/2" twisted nylon.  That might say something about the rope choice.  And I never thought of arborist lines...  Search and Rescue type supply places want stupid money for anything.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 7:43:43 PM EDT
[#6]
I hate twisted rope!
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 10:32:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

... snip

snip ...
Fro
View Quote

This sounds like two very different needs.
- chains for the dead moose, logs, and ATV plus a nylon tow strap
5/16 in chain
tow strap

- arborist rope for the pulleys and prusik,  look at remnant lengths:
1/2 in tree braid

Throw in some nylon webbing tied with a water knot for slings:
water knot

plus a few carabiners are always useful.

Have fun, stay safe.

Link Posted: 3/11/2015 11:09:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Try amsteel.  Super strong   Yes a little pricey but it's awesome.   Imagine a rope the size of 550 cord but with a working strength of 1600 pounds
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 11:42:26 PM EDT
[#9]

I like a 5mm prusik cord with 7mm static rope. 7mm can be had for ~$0.45/ft and is rated ~10kN (~2,250 lb). I don't know if 5mm prusiks will play nicely with prusik-minding pulleys.

Be careful of really good deals on dynamic ropes. They'll be a headache to try to use for hauling.
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 3:35:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 6:22:35 PM EDT
[#11]
We're not allowed to sell or surplus our old ropes due to liability reasons.
Ropes that aren't cut down for utility lines are either cut and tossed or carried home by personnel.
Several years ago we phased out all 7/16" static lines for 1/2" for actual rescue.

I prefer the 7/16 for utility work, It rates around 500lb working and 7500 lb tensil.

I've used this line for directing trees, pulling ATV's, hauling game. Pretty much my go to rope.

Check with sport shops as they often have odd lengths and remnants left over from custom orders and will sell these at discounted rates.
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 7:45:23 PM EDT
[#12]
What you want is a static kernmantle rope as is used in rope rescue, sport rappelling, arborist work etc.

http://www.amazon.com/New-England-KMIII-Static-Rope/dp/B0045E7EOM
KMIII has a polyester shield which has some advantages.

Be advised that there are polyester core ropes out there also which I don't recommend for general use as the polyester core has zero stretch or shock absorption.  The nylon static rope is just like 1% stretch but that little bit makes a lot of difference in shock loading.
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 10:05:33 PM EDT
[#13]
defender marine
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 8:26:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 8:48:09 AM EDT
[#15]
West Marine down in Watertown would have some significant savings in the Spring on dock lines and such.   I used to buy my dock and anchor lines there when on sale.  I don't remember if they also had the same sales on rope from the spool but they probably did.   IIRC they were about 1/2 their regular (too high) price.

Give them a call and ask them if they do put that line on sale and when their Spring sales start.
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 7:20:06 PM EDT
[#16]
I have used chain for years and learned early on to buy some decent stuff.  I do have some cheap stuff but it rusts and is not very strong for its size compared to some of the better stuff out there.

Chain is great where something like rope will get torn up.  

It does cost a bit but I consider it a mostly one time purchase unless I do something stupid with it and then it is more on me for being stupid.

I somewhat agree on the rope with the cheap fiber core, last year I ran into similar sized rolls of cheap all nylon rope.  It was thin strand nylon and not the thicker nasty heavy plastic nylon rope out there.  This stuff was by the tree stands in tractor supply as I recall.  It is better than the junk fiber core, which I have bought more than a bit of over the years.

Around here I figure I will wind up with a spool of anchor line or something this year or next.  I want some heavy working rope for some odds and ends and I have some uses for it where it can live a decently long life there.  But I want something way better than the cheap nylon stuff I found.

I do have 550 cord galore as well, everyone should have a few spools of it.

Bought a spool of bailing wire or fencing wire last year as well.

Before this I would buy things bit by bit.

I started just finding large amounts at a decent price when possable.

To some extent I have even considered some of the winch ropes as an option.
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 8:36:32 PM EDT
[#17]
As with most items, you get what you pay for. I own a variety of rope materials. If you're looking for one material as a do-all, I would look towards a 3/4-1" nylon stranded rope. The stuff is no joke and can support tens of thousands of pounds. What I like about thick rope aside from strength is that you don't need gloves for most applications.
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 5:03:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have used chain for years and learned early on to buy some decent stuff.  I do have some cheap stuff but it rusts and is not very strong for its size compared to some of the better stuff out there.

Chain is great where something like rope will get torn up.  

It does cost a bit but I consider it a mostly one time purchase unless I do something stupid with it and then it is more on me for being stupid.

I somewhat agree on the rope with the cheap fiber core, last year I ran into similar sized rolls of cheap all nylon rope.  It was thin strand nylon and not the thicker nasty heavy plastic nylon rope out there.  This stuff was by the tree stands in tractor supply as I recall.  It is better than the junk fiber core, which I have bought more than a bit of over the years.

Around here I figure I will wind up with a spool of anchor line or something this year or next.  I want some heavy working rope for some odds and ends and I have some uses for it where it can live a decently long life there.  But I want something way better than the cheap nylon stuff I found.

I do have 550 cord galore as well, everyone should have a few spools of it.

Bought a spool of bailing wire or fencing wire last year as well.

Before this I would buy things bit by bit.

I started just finding large amounts at a decent price when possable.

To some extent I have even considered some of the winch ropes as an option.
View Quote

+1 & Same here.  Buy a spool when you find a good deal, and you end up with enough for a very long time.  You end up saving money in the long run, especially since prices are always going up.
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 3:32:46 PM EDT
[#19]
This might not be even close to what you're looking for, but if you need something for ATV recover or dragging a moose I would check out the Power Puller. They sell it with braided cable or Amsteel Blue line.

I have one and love it. It can pull a 5k pound airboat sideways. Should be more than enough for a moose.

As far as cheap rope goes, I would check out Craigslist for used climbing ropes.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 1:12:08 AM EDT
[#20]
You'll always need rope for smaller jobs.  Instead of the generic crap rope you're buying, get some mule tape.  I use it for everything and it's cheap enough to not hesitate to cut it to smaller pieces.  Go to ebay and search 'mule tape'.

Link Posted: 3/22/2015 7:05:17 AM EDT
[#21]
I have a 1" rope retired from a tree trimming service, still in very good serviceable condition.  It was a gift from a friend.

I also have some chain and a couple of tow straps for use when dragging things behind a car truck or tractor (or atv if I had one).
Get an assortment of shackles and hooks and you will be able to attach to anything.

Add a come along and there isn't anything I can't move

Those rope pullers look like the ticket for moving a moose.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 8:44:04 AM EDT
[#22]
I think you would be fine with 3 strand nylon braid. Anything 1/2 and up is easy on the hands, but bigger is better if you are hauling it. Common anchor rope

It's cheap, strong, and moderate stretch. 1/2 has 5000lbs and up break strength
Available on amazon for ~$.25 a foot in bulk

It can be braided, spliced and tied very effectively
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 1:59:21 AM EDT
[#23]
http://www.baileysonline.com/shop.axd/Search?keywords=rope&page_no=11  

maybe some braided  3/4" bullrope for a GP do all line.
http://www.baileysonline.com/Arborist-Tree-Care/Tree-Rigging-Bull-Ropes/Double-Braid-Bull-Ropes/BlackMAX-3-4-Double-Braid-Orange-Bull-Rope.axd
buy once, cry once.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 11:07:27 AM EDT
[#24]
we cut ours when old to prevent use as climbing rope

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The kern-mantle rescue rope that our team uses has a recommended shelf life of about 10 years.  I have heard that the industry is shortening that standard to 5 years.

So the question is, what happens to that rope after it's well beyond it's shelf life?

Lot's of guys rotate that to "training" rope.  You know, since it's not safe to use for a real rescue we should be ok to hang on it for practice.  

You might look into buying the old ropes from your local FD or MABAS tech rescue team.  I have no idea what logistics or liability issues might be considered there, but if you're not hanging on it then there should be no concern.  Those ropes are rated just short of 10,000 lbs breaking strength and work GREAT with a prusik.  Definitely go through a pulley, should support a moose, don't think I would put the stress of towing on it.....
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 7:55:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Don't know what kind of farm supply store's you have up there but we have Tractor supply down here and
they carry a heavy rope that is mostly used to make lead ropes for horses and cattle out of you might want
to check that type of rope out as it is braided type of about 3/4".
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 5:09:38 PM EDT
[#26]
I didn't see this mentioned before.  My father-in-law worked at the paper mill for 42 yrs and always brought back the rope that they rotated through the machines.  They have to change it out every so many hours and it is great stuff.   Don't know if that is an option, but if you have someone in that line of work, I have rope for years.

Doc
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 11:25:29 AM EDT
[#27]
Buy old static line off Craigslist from climbers.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top