Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/11/2015 4:09:44 PM EDT
I assume that most here keep a get-home-bag in their vehicle.  What I'm wondering is what long-gun do you keep in it, if any?  Certainly all us concealed carry permit holders have a pistol with us while driving, but what should we do about a long-gun that will conceal in our emergency get-home-backpack?

The obvious concealable options that I'm thinking of are:

1.  Break-down 16" .22 rifle. (Ruger, Marlin, etc., inexpensive, lightweight but not powerful)
2.  Double barrel 18" 12ga shotgun (they all quickly break down to about 18" total, are lightweight, inexpensive, versatile, powerful )
3.  Break-down 16" 30-30 lever action rifle  (excellent in all respects, but expensive)

And your perhaps less obvious suggestions are?
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 4:13:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Ar15 breaks down pretty small, even smaller in pistol configuration.
Folder Ak is an option also
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 5:07:10 PM EDT
[#2]
I used to use a Draco.  Now, and for the last year or two I've stowed an SU-16C.  

Pretty much trumps anything else out there in size, weight, versatility, and bells/whistles.  Plus it can be fired when folded and accepts AR mags.

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 5:21:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Its hard to beat an AR...  Just collapse the stock and remove the upper.

If for some reason you want a shotgun, keep your eyes open for a cosmetically ugly but fully functional Model 12 Winchester.  Chop the barrel just forward of the magazine tube.  Thye break down very easily.

Link Posted: 3/11/2015 5:50:15 PM EDT
[#4]
PTC in MN gets you nowhere with long guns. Weird, isn't it?

Anyway, I carry a small 22 auto in the GHB, and an XD45 as EDC. Spare mags for the XD in GHB.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 5:59:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Folder AK-74
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 6:23:52 PM EDT
[#6]
AR pistol 7.5 barrel.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 6:28:57 PM EDT
[#7]
I just have to pick up a light
for Sub 2000 set up- .40 Glock
pattern. Teamed up with my
Gen 4 G22, it's my new travel
kit, which would work for a
GHG, also. Light, maneuverable,
foldable & affordable, and 100
yard accurate shots are no
problem with the red dot.

I picked up some 31 round KCI's
this weekend, but I have been to
the range with them yet.

I would also be happy with one
of my .556 pistols, but the Kel Tec
is lighter.

Lot's of ways to go.

Good Luck!

John

Link Posted: 3/11/2015 6:41:47 PM EDT
[#8]
LOVE my AR15 rifles, I have 1/2 dozen...think theyre a great gun..

but
IF I am walking home from the BIg City to my rural location..I want to travel light, fast, snag free, quiet and invisible as possible with the ability
to put a bullet in the head of something stopping me from doing this,
I am not looking for a firefight or a mugging and will do my best to avoid either..
Were I dropped in the desert, field, or forest and told to survive..
a .22 rifle would be my choice.

once I am home there's ample choice of armaments, armor and ammo.
on the road, running for my life..a small light rifle will get me where I need to go..worried about "weight" of
the round traveling at a miscreant I am trying t get away from, NEVER met one who wouldn't be ducking
hollow point 22 coming rapid fire from any direction, let alone mine..

Link Posted: 3/11/2015 7:12:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Anyway, I carry a small 22 auto in the GHB, and an XD45 as EDC. Spare mags for the XD in GHB.
View Quote

ptc?

Link Posted: 3/11/2015 7:12:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Rossi Tri-fecta youth model.

Mine is .22lr, .243, and .20ga and all fits in one small bag.

Bought in 2012 for $289 from Dicks Sporting Goods.

Link Posted: 3/11/2015 8:07:52 PM EDT
[#11]
The Sub-2000 in my backpack is mag-compatible with the Glock . . .
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 9:28:41 PM EDT
[#12]

Henry survival rifle AKA ar7.  
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 9:44:36 PM EDT
[#13]
I used to use an underfolder AK. Now I use an AR15. Both work well in this role.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 10:03:59 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
ptc?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

ptc?

Permit To Carry.

We don't have concealed carry permits: When we have a PTC, we can carry open or concealed. Dealer's choice.

ETA: But only pistols with a PTC. The law is clear that we should be able to carry long guns, but the MN BCA (Bureau of Criminal Apprehension) says otherwise...
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 10:13:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Permit To Carry.  

We don't have concealed carry permits: When we have a PTC, we can carry open or concealed. Dealer's choice.

ETA: But only pistols with a PTC. The law is clear that we should be able to carry long guns, but the MN BCA (Bureau of Criminal Apprehension) says otherwise...
View Quote

Initially this is why I went with a Draco being in PA.  Then I learned that, legally, the long gun can be carried along in the car...just needs to be unloaded with the mag in another container (like a pouch on the stock, separate pouch in the GHB, etc.).  That's when I upgraded to the SU-16C.  

As previously mentioned, going lightweight and out of sight it going to be preferable.  And during a natural disaster or personal SHTF I might even leave the rifle/mags behind to lighten the load.  But during a civil disturbance or some other situation where I have a better than average chance of getting into an unavoidable lethal confrontation....I'd rather have a rifle for distance, follow-ups, penetration, accuracy, etc.

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 11:25:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
AR pistol 7.5 barrel.
View Quote

Yup!
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 11:48:45 PM EDT
[#17]
GHB has extra mags for my carry pistol. If I ever feel the need to have a rifle with me as well I have an SBR AR in 300 BLK. It fits in most my bags as a whole and when broken down fits in crazy tight places. 8.5" barrel.
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 1:59:30 AM EDT
[#18]
I went a different route and got a PS90 in the truck. Figured with just 3 loaded mags that 150 rounds and it is short enough to hide well inside the truck.
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 6:57:56 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I assume that most here keep a get-home-bag in their vehicle.  What I'm wondering is what long-gun do you keep in it, if any?  Certainly all us concealed carry permit holders have a pistol with us while driving, but what should we do about a long-gun that will conceal in our emergency get-home-backpack?

The obvious concealable options that I'm thinking of are:

1.  Break-down 16" .22 rifle. (Ruger, Marlin, etc., inexpensive, lightweight but not powerful)
2.  Double barrel 18" 12ga shotgun (they all quickly break down to about 18" total, are lightweight, inexpensive, versatile, powerful )
3.  Break-down 16" 30-30 lever action rifle  (excellent in all respects, but expensive)

And your perhaps less obvious suggestions are?
View Quote

Really depends. To be honest 99% of the time you dont need a gun in your car's GHB. You already have your CCW right? I'd say that a couple spare mags for the handgun you carry as part of your EDC will handle 99.9% of your defensive needs when walking back home. It also depends on the use you have in mind and location. If you're stuck in the middle of Alaska and have to walk back home then maybe protection against large predators is in order. In general, walking back home is about having a very light pack so as to be quick. If I had to pick a rifle for a GHB, I'd go for a collapsable stock AK. Its still heavy though, and if I can get home walking within a day I'd probably put more importance in traveling light adn fast than traveling well armed, get home as quick as I can.
Whatever you do, you want to try out hiking with whatever weight you plan on walking back home with. Its safe to say that most people tend to overestimate their ability to carry weight in infavorable conditions. Also think about this? Why are you even walking back home? You had a car accident? Chances are you may be hurt, then your weight carry capacity drops considerably. You may have been attacked, injured, sick, you may have to carry a wounded family member. All these reasons are why l think its is important to go light adn leave behind the junk you dont need.
FerFAL
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 9:36:26 AM EDT
[#20]
An old crack-barrel 20 gauge single shot lives in my truck. I'll replace it with a full size 12 gauge pump when I find a cheap beater. I don't keep anything in my jeep in town other than my CCW pistol, but when I go on the road/leave town I take a AR pistol w/ 10" barrel and sig brace.
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 10:44:46 AM EDT
[#21]
It's hard to believe we'd go from 0 to riot during a workday.  Unless you live in a dangerous neighborhood prone to mass violence in the streets, I just don't see it happening without warning.  In my mind I'm picturing the scene in Blood Diamond when Archer and Solomon are weaving through burning cars as the civil war breaks out.  Do you think we have those kinds of tensions now that would cause your path home to become a warzone?  Are you planning on joining the fray with your rifle, or scooting out of there to get home?

The GHB concept needs to stay true to its purpose.  Get home.  To me that means running shoes rather than boots, bottle(s) of water rather than food gathering kit, and your CCW rather than a full long gun set up.  

In my opinion, a GHB isn't much different than a gym bag.  Comfortable clothes and bag that blend in.  A water bottle.  Your concealed carry weapon.  

ETA:  If you are convinced you want a long gun for your GHB, the answer seems to be AR or AK.  They are the best choices, so why choose to have a less capable option?

Link Posted: 3/12/2015 10:54:14 AM EDT
[#22]
You guys that have some variant of the AR pistol:

How loud are those things? Say, compared to a 9mm or .45? I've never shot one.
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 11:15:18 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Like a mortar launcher loud. I have a 7.5" ar pistol. That is how I would describe it.
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 11:34:01 AM EDT
[#24]
My buddy has one of the PAP pistols in 5.56 that takes Pmags.  He slides it in a back pack.  I use my 10.5" AR pistol build secured under the back seat of my pickup.
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 12:58:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Like a mortar launcher loud. I have a 7.5" ar pistol. That is how I would describe it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

WHAT DID YOU SAY?
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 1:18:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Ar15 breaks down pretty small, even smaller in pistol configuration.
Folder Ak is an option also
View Quote

this, I have a AR pistol in my GHB.  but I have a pretty short commute home, 15 miles as the crow flies and most of it could be done through woods crossing 2 lane country roads
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 1:20:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

WHAT DID YOU SAY?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

WHAT DID YOU SAY?

Haha. Exactly.
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 1:34:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
It's hard to believe we'd go from 0 to riot during a workday.  Unless you live in a dangerous neighborhood prone to mass violence in the streets, I just don't see it happening without warning.  In my mind I'm picturing the scene in Blood Diamond when Archer and Solomon are weaving through burning cars as the civil war breaks out.  Do you think we have those kinds of tensions now that would cause your path home to become a warzone?  Are you planning on joining the fray with your rifle, or scooting out of there to get home?

The GHB concept needs to stay true to its purpose.  Get home.  To me that means running shoes rather than boots, bottle(s) of water rather than food gathering kit, and your CCW rather than a full long gun set up.  

In my opinion, a GHB isn't much different than a gym bag.  Comfortable clothes and bag that blend in.  A water bottle.  Your concealed carry weapon.  

ETA:  If you are convinced you want a long gun for your GHB, the answer seems to be AR or AK.  They are the best choices, so why choose to have a less capable option?

View Quote

I mostly agree with this. Everyone has a different situation and had to assess their needs. Depending on where you are getting home from would change your load out. I mean, I live 12 miles from where I work. I can run. That. Like even without water, I would just want good shoes. That said I have some others things in my truck and at work for just in case scenarios.

I guess a smart thing to add would be a bike at your work place or in your vehicle if you have space. You could get home much quicker. Again. All depends on your situation.
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 3:50:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

Pretty much, yes. The Get Home bag should have the tools needed to get back home, that's it. Clothes, water, maybe an energy bar or two but you dont need a pile of food if you can make it back home in 24hs straight. I walked 24 hs straight non stop during a peregrination. You know what surprised me the most besides being as tired as I've never been in my life? The crap peopl throw on the side of the road. As miles go by people start throwing the junk they thought they needed. Walking sticks! That was funny. During the first 10 miles or so you'd see lots of guys selling walking sticks. Lots of people bought them. 10 miles later you could have picked them up for free on the side of the road, people just were too tired and just threw them away.
FerFAL
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 4:25:35 PM EDT
[#30]
None.  

Why would I need one? Concealed and disassembled it's useless and heavy, you aren't going to able to put it together fast enough in pretty much any potentially dangerous situation.  Open carrying a rifle?  Short of world war III this will make you a target/up to no good to any authority figure.  If I'm walking, I'd rather blend in and travel light with a concealed handgun.  Driving?  Sure, I'll take one as I won't have to worry about concealability or weight.
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 1:19:58 PM EDT
[#31]
I don’t keep a long gun in my ghb itself, but I do keep a little carbine in the vehicle. Just something I’ve done for a long time; growing up in the country, you kept a gun in the truck and there was a lot of places that a long gun was legal where a handgun wasn’t.

My ‘truck gun’ is a simple, cheap (at least, used to be cheap) milsurp M1 carbine. Since I carry a handgun all the time nowadays and never use the carbine on any regular basis, it rides in a concealed space in a heat-sealed bag to protect it.

I used to carry a CAR-15 as my vehicle gun, but one break-in stopped my doing so. They got my briefcase out of the back floorboard and that was it. I’d been out shooting the day before, so on top of the CAR-15, suppressor, mags, etc that I habitually had, there were also two M1’s and hundreds of rounds of ammunition. That week I stopped leaving expensive, ‘first-tier’ guns in the vehicle, and absolutely stopped carrying anything class-3 in there. The little M1 carbine cost me $159, and is more than capable for most any imaginable scenario I’d find myself in.

On the question of “do we even need a long gun in the ghb gear”, I’d actually say most people don’t. I really don’t.
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 1:38:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 6:01:36 PM EDT
[#33]
I'm the OP:  After posting the question I went to Gunbroker to see what was available.  The item that got my attention was a Ruger 10/22 Tactical Take-down, SS, 16" barrel, with flash-hider that unscrews for those with suppressors, special iron sights, red-dot-ready for day/night use and comes with a carrying case and 25 round mag.  This is a Davidson's Gallery of Guns "special model".  Weight 4.75 pounds.  I'm not sure but it looks like the total broken-down length is +/- 17" and it's very fast to assemble.  Price +/- $411 out the door.  

I agree with most that light weight is a BIG consideration (including lightweight ammo) and I don't want to be leaving an expensive AR, etc., in my vehicle where it can be stolen.
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 7:01:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

WHAT DID YOU SAY?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

WHAT DID YOU SAY?

and

WHAT DID YOU SEE?

the flash from a non-suppressed 7.5" barrel at night...

ps
maybe it's just me but any practical advantage of a smaller "AR pistol" form factor goes out the window with the attendant noise, flash, velocity, and sight radius compromise.  it takes just a couple of seconds to attach a proper 14.5" barrel upper to a lower, and you are in business.  if you needed to go loud in a real hurry you aren't rummaging around your GHB or trunk box -- you have your CCW in your hand and up on target.  

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 7:29:38 PM EDT
[#35]
I'd lean more toward a fuddy type weapon that is easily replaceable and doesn't scream "tactical". Shit happens, you don't want to be out more than $300 if somebody gets into your vehicle. Shotguns get a bad rap here, we all know the weight and ammo limitations,  but $250 gives you a ton of options for ammo A 590 or an 870 will be perfect. You don't have to be super anal about keeping it clean, and that is more than enough to put some distance between you and whatever is giving you problems.

An 18" barrel will break down into a bag just as easy as any of the options you listed.

Link Posted: 3/13/2015 7:40:35 PM EDT
[#36]
how loud?... if you go with an AR style pistol, consider a linear comp like this LeVang... you can ALMOST shoot it without ear plugs

Link Posted: 3/13/2015 8:46:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Why is it that "I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it" takes a back seat when it comes to rifles in GHB's??...especially when someone can judge, when grabbing the bag, whether or not they want to take a rifle with them.  

So it's okay to prepare for nuclear attacks, solar flares, global pandemics ....but tossing a folding rifle in a bag....that's just silly!

I do agree that it's a miniscule chance that any of us will ever need it.  But can't the same be said for iodine tablets, gas masks, and BOL's?  I've never really understood the reversal preppers make in this area.  I mean I can't think of any other situations where having less options is preferable in the name of weight and probability.

-Emt1581

Link Posted: 3/13/2015 10:08:58 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

and

WHAT DID YOU SEE?

ps
maybe it's just me but any practical advantage of a smaller "AR pistol" form factor goes out the window with the attendant noise, flash, velocity, and sight radius compromise.  it takes just a couple of seconds to attach a proper 14.5" barrel upper to a lower, and you are in business.  if you needed to go loud in a real hurry you aren't rummaging around your GHB or trunk box -- you have your CCW in your hand and up on target.  

ar-jedi
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

WHAT DID YOU SAY?

and

WHAT DID YOU SEE?

ps

ar-jedi

I have a flaming pig noveske comp on my 7.5" gun. It sends out a 4 foot long flame. It is great fun to shoot at night. But for me, I go with a 16" carbine for real use. Honestly the pistol is mostly a toy right now. The comp does make it more pleasant to shoot than with a standard a2 on it. It doesn't make my teeth rattle inside my head.
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 1:58:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Lots of good ideas here, but living on the south TX border where it's +/- 100 degrees 6 months a year I decided I should go light so am considering ordering a 4.75 pound Ruger SS Takedown 10/22.  Even with a 3oz Bushnell red-dot and 100 rounds of 22LR ammo it should be right at 5.0 pounds total.
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 2:05:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Have you used one before? I thought I wanted a 10/22 take down but tried one and found them to be too much of a sacrifice in accuracy with the whole barrel coming off the gun thing, and you may have trouble with it returning to zero.
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 2:29:25 PM EDT
[#41]
I have a 10/22 take down and it returns to zero with the iron sights. I haven't tried a scope on it yet for a more precise test on holding accuracy.

It's a nice little rifle though.
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 3:54:35 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Have you used one before? I thought I wanted a 10/22 take down but tried one and found them to be too much of a sacrifice in accuracy with the whole barrel coming off the gun thing, and you may have trouble with it returning to zero.
View Quote

Never have even seen one in person, but the net reviews were all very positive.  If I get one I'll review it here.
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 10:41:51 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

Too loud to shoot it as much as I thought I would.
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 7:52:50 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 8:15:39 AM EDT
[#45]
My AK with a side folding stock folded is as long as my AR pistol with 10.5" barrel.  An under folder would also fit that role and be a bit slimmer.
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 8:29:51 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 9:59:33 AM EDT
[#47]
I carried a rifle in the truck for 30 years then newer trucks have fewer spots to store things discreetly and I decided bug out to the country.
I constantly play the What If Right Now....game and most parts of this country your not going to get home...
Now I keep an AR at home, office, Dads house and the BOL. In town I'm not more than 5 miles from a riffle.
This and I started carrying a 17L and practicing shooting at 100yds.
I think in the worst case scenario where you would need a Get Home Rifle you would need NV and hide out during the day and travel at night.
Just my thoughts
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 11:41:02 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

I carried a rifle in the truck for 30 years then newer trucks have fewer spots to store things discreetly and I decided bug out to the country.

I constantly play the What If Right Now....game and most parts of this country your not going to get home...

Now I keep an AR at home, office, Dads house and the BOL. In town I'm not more than 5 miles from a riffle.

This and I started carrying a 17L and practicing shooting at 100yds.

I think in the worst case scenario where you would need a Get Home Rifle you would need NV and hide out during the day and travel at night.

Just my thoughts
View Quote

You're touching on a separate but important issue.  Part of the value of keeping a long gun in your car is simply the redundancy it provides.  If all of your long guns are at home, you have the proverbial single basket of eggs.  With a long gun in the car, if your home gets cleaned out by thieves or tornado or whatever, then you'll have something left.  That, of course, is separate from the question of what to take along when trying to get home on foot in an emergency.  

That said, I choose not to leave guns in the car.  I don't want to arm thieves or snoopy kids, which I find to be more plausible than needing the gun for any purpose.
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 7:58:03 PM EDT
[#49]
A rifle in my GHB would be more of a liability than an asset in most plausible situations.  I already have a CCW. There is nowhere along any route that I drive with any regularity where a long gun would be at all acceptable outside of a literal EOTWAWKI type situation. Adding a considerable weight to the bag would just hinder my movement. Water, minor first aid, rain gear, light...there really isn't much needed. Another factor is that the odds of it being stolen are incalculably greater than the odds of needing a long gun.  I tend to work from most likely to least likely situations.  In most likely situations the rifle would be at best useless, and at worst a liability.
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 10:35:39 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top