Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/3/2015 4:02:19 PM EDT
This is something I wrote for my website, recapping on some of the lessons learned from what people are dealing with in Ukraine. It would be nice to discuss it, maybe comment on other things you noticed or read about. I also did a video version of the same article.
FerFAL

12 Survival Lessons from Ukraine

Posted on March 2, 2015 by FerFAL

The war in Ukraine is a tragic event but it’s one that we can all learn from. Nothing provides as much valuable information as real world situations where ordinary people are forced to deal with extraordinary events. At the end of the day, the war in Ukraine gives us plenty of examples of what works and what doesn’t, and while personal experience is important, the wise person learns from other people’s mistakes so as to not repeat them himself.
There are several articles explaining what people are going through in eastern Ukraine right now. This article over at dailymail provides a good visual image of what people are going through. There’s also a thread in survivalist boards where a Dunbass resident that goes by the name of George1980 has been posting, sharing his experiences. I highly recommend reading it if you have the time.
Using this information, here are twelve important lessons based what has happened so far in Ukraine:

Ruined building: An apartment in the neighbourhood is destroyed and abandoned after being hit by artillery rounds in Donetsk, Ukraine
1)Artillery & infantry beats survivalist hero fantasies. Every. Single. Time.
Maybe the most obvious lesson to be learned is how miserably all these fantasies about forming survival groups, living in a retreat while fighting against impossible odds would ultimately fail. There’s simply no surviving against an occupation force when facing them as an individual or small group. Houses, towns and even entire cities can eventually get surrounded and overpowered. A single house or compound represents a laughable resistance to organized armed forces, let alone ones with artillery and air support at their disposal. Once shooting at your position is no longer fun, they’ll just blow you up. It’s as simple as that.

The Station Kharkiv volunteers help centre at Krasnotkatska str

A refugee woman receive humanitarian aid at the “Station Kharkiv” volunteers help centre at Krasnotkatska str. Kharkiv, Ukraine.

2)Cover the basics. Food, water, shelter and medicines.

In various parts of eastern Ukraine, People are suffering the lack of water, electricity and food shortages. You need to store food, food that requires no refrigeration and little or no cooking. You need water, not just a water filter (which you should have as well) but actual jugs of water. For true emergencies and survival situations, just like you can’t have too much food you can’t have too much water. Have a well, have a river, if nothing else keep an eye out for large barrels on sale and keep some full of water. Even the jugs for carrying water become valuable. Have a good supply of medicines: ibuprofen, vomit and diarrhea medicine, liquid ibuprofen for children, bandages, diapers, formula and antibiotics. Antibiotics are the difference between life and death when you need them. Have lanterns, flashlights and lots of batteries. Get and emergency crank radio. Get a solar charger for your phone and batteries. Have alternative means of cooking and heating. A wood burning stove may do the trick, but make sure you always keep extra wood stored for emergencies. Maybe you’re lucky enough to still have power, if so an electric burner can be put to good use then, saving other fuels for when power goes out. Have extra fuel in storage for your vehicle, enough to make it to your potential bug out location in case you have to leave in a hurry. Have a tent and sleeping bags. These can be used not only for sleeping in tents, but also if you happen to find yourself in a refugee camp during winter or in an unfurnished flat after evacuation or if you’re staying with friends or family.
In a shelled city, underground is the only safe place to be, to some extent at least. An actual bunker would be ideal, but people try finding shelter anywhere underground. In buildings, windows and doors are covered with sandbags and people sleep in the interior room away from exterior walls and windows. Windows never survive shelling. The broken glass makes it impossible to stay warm in winter. Plastic sheeting can sometimes be used to close openings and still allow light in, but this is far from an ideal solution and he loss of heat is substantial.

Light relief: The basement has working electricity, meaning the children can watch television while they take refuge from the fighting

3)Don’t get involved.
From a survival perspective, the best way to go about conflicts that can develop into violent clashes is to not get involved in the first place. Avoid going to protests and marches. This is especially true in cases such as the one of Ukraine, where people are seen on one side or the other during protests and clashes, often filmed. Something as simple as a rival remembering your face from the rallies can land you in jail or worse. In this kind of situation, it’s even neighbors, former friends and coworkers that may remember your political affiliation. They may end up mentioning your name to the new authorities and they will come after you.

4)Attitude, clothes, and gear can get you killed or arrested.
Here is where the gray man approach comes into play. Be as neutral as possible not only regarding your actions and behavior, but also when it comes to insignias, clothes, and gear. Even beards or unusual or characteristic hair styles can get you in trouble. According to George1980 “There was very unpleasant situation on the Ukrainian check-point, when one soldier wanted to arrest me as separatist)) Fortunately, my wife and daughters were with me and this soldier did not stopped me. Problem was that I have a beard and, may be, my face was very “suspicious” ))) Soldier told me that)”.
Checkpoints in Ukraine are there for a reason: finding enemies. Having a weapon can get you into trouble, but also things such as maps, GPS, political propaganda, radios, this can all be consider espionage material. Adventurers traveling around the world have often mentioned how they get arrested in war zones because of their cameras and laptops. You’re not local, you have electronics capable of being used for communication, then you’re a suspect until proven otherwise. Lots of people have GPS, radios and maps in their Bug Out Bags. Just make sure to be smart about it and understand that in some cases, when dealing with factions fighting over power, it can get you in trouble and its better to get rid of some of it before reaching a checkpoint.

5) Learn to deal with checkpoints.
In checkpoints, women and children aren’t as carefully inspected as men. Private vehicles are checked much more thoroughly than public transportation. Maybe you’re better off taking a bus or train. Its important to travel light and be in good health and properly dressed to walk long distances if needed. Bribes may be needed so have cash. A hidden weapon may get you killed or arrested. Is it worth the risk to conceal a handgun among your belongings while evacuating? Probably not, but you’ll have to decide that yourself given your specific situation. Valuable items such as jewelry, cash and even electronics may be “confiscated” or downright stolen by the troops. Conceal them as well as you can. Cash and small gold coins can be hidden in shoe insoles, inside children toys or dirty diapers in the baby’s diaper bag. Coins can be sewed under jacket patches and insignias, under buttons. Women have managed to hide small rolls of cash inside them as if they were tampons, placed inside condoms. Refugees have swallowed small gold coins and jewelry so as to be recovered later. Desperate times call for desperate measures. When it comes to gold vs silver, gold is more compact and easier to hide. I wouldn’t like to swallow 1000 usd worth or silver coins!

6)Guns can save you, but they can also get you killed.

According to George1980 “separatists very afraid Ukrainian saboteurs on their territory and try to catch every man with gun who are not from their “Army”.”
Are you fighting along with one of the factions involved? If not, then make sure you’re not confused with one. If you just want to be left alone, then don’t openly carry a gun. Openly carrying a weapon means you are a fighter on either side of the conflict. If you’re not with either one, BOTH will consider you an armed enemy. At the end of the day a gun can save your life, but in a world of no easy black and white answers a gun can also get you killed. Keep any weapons concealed, and be ready to ditch them, sell them or cache them depending on the situation you are involved in. Just going gun-ho is not the one and only answer to all problems.
I sure would like to be armed if I was still in Argentina today. If there’s trouble, 1000 bucks will most likely buy any cop’s silence. At the same time, in the 70’s during the military Junta and state terrorism, going around armed in Argentina wasn’t a good idea if you wanted to avoid trouble. If you were caught and found to be armed, the security forces would immediately assume you were a montonero, a leftist terrorist, and you would be tortured, executed or go “missing”. During these torture sessions, people that had no involvement would often mention the names of innocent people, just to stop the tortures. Just being in the wrong phone list of a coworker or fellow student was enough for the security forces to pay you a visit.

7)Get a Glock 9mm and a rifle with a folding stock.
As explained earlier, you want to be able to conceal your weapons. Eventually, you may have to leave behind you rifle and even your handgun. You sure won’t be boarding an evacuation plane with one. What about going through check points? Is it worth getting killed or arrested? Or are you better of selling you gun to someone that is staying behind, grab a few extra hundred bucks just as you board a bus or train leaving the conflict area? You want a gun that is ubiquitous, that fires a common round and has a well-known reputation. Basically you want a great weapon that works well for you, but you also want a weapon that is eventually easy to sell as well. Conflict or not, Glocks and AKs are great staples.

8)Passports and ID are crucial.
When traveling away from the conflict zones in Ukraine you better have your ID. Soldiers at checkpoints will want passports, driver licenses or other ID proofs. They may not ask for them all the time, but if they do, you better have them. They will want to know as much about you as possible. If you get the chance to leave the country, you better have your passport ready as well. Other countries are already refusing offer asylum to refugees. Here is where a second citizenship would be just priceless. While others are refused entry, having an EU passport would mean you could just board a plane and start over elsewhere while others are refused entry entirely or have to go wherever they offer asylum. Because of this, having updated documents is very important.
Many Americans fail miserably at this part and just don’t understand how important it is. My parents grew up in Argentina during the 70’s. Even years after the end of the dictatorship, I remember the look on their faces if they forgot their wallet when going out. They were terrified. Back in the day, getting stopped by the police and being caught without your “documentos” meant you weren’t making it back home that night. If you couldn’t prove your ID, you were considered an enemy/extremist/spy. The Triple A (Argentine Anticommunist Alliance) were constantly looking for left wing activists. People have been arrested and tortured just because they had long hair or dressed like hippies. You wanted to be as gray as possible, literally gray, so as to avoid being thrown inside one of the Triple A’s infamous olive green Ford Falcons, never to be seen again.

9)Cash is king
Food was still available in Donetsk, but people just didn’t have enough cash to afford it. With inflation being about 30% a month, food prices go up accordingly, so you’re better off with Dollars or Euros rather than local currency. They may not be accepted in some chain stores, but you can exchange them on banks or on the streets at the ongoing currency exchange rate, protecting your savings from inflation and only changing for local currency as needed.
At one point George1980 said “So my conclusion is so: cash is main tool of survivor!”
I couldn’t agree more.

10)Work on your EDC

The poorest refugees arrive by train and bus, while those with means come by car.

When bombs began falling close to an elderly woman’s home near Lugansk’s airport, “the granny grabbed her granddaughter, and they jumped on a train and came here with only the clothes on their back,” Shapoval said.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2014/07/02/ukraine-war-refugees/11927955/

One day it may be all you have to work with. George1980 mentioned how important a good multitool was, how at times it was the only tool he had after leaving Dumbass and moving into an empty flat. This is a actually a great point. I always think of my everyday carry kit in such terms. If the flashlight I have in my pocket right now is the only one I’ll ever have or the one I’ll have to use to get by for years. Which one would I rather have? If my folding knife is the one I’ll have for defending myself, for prying open a window or a door after artillery hits my home or for preparing food, what kind of knife would I like to have? How about having to sell that knife for much needed cash or use it to bribe a Ukraine or Russian soldier in a checkpoint, which knife and multitool would I like to have to bargain with? What if I have to leave with nothing but the clothes on my back, I evacuate on foot with my family, everyone soaking wet, can I start a fire? As a matter of fact, do I even have enough cash to buy bus or train tickets for everyone?

11)Open an off shore account
Greece, Ukraine, Iceland, Argentina, doesn’t matter where it is, when things get ugly, the currency starts devaluating and banks close their doors you’ll want an off shore account. Maybe you keep some of your savings there. Maybe you make a transfer just in case when you hear some bad rumors floating around. Transfer fees aren’t very high and its cheap insurance. One thing is for sure: Just like you can’t buy a gun when bad guys are kicking down your front door, you cant open an account in a foreign country just when the local economy is about to go to hell. You need to do these things ahead of time. An offshore bank account means you can keep some of your savings abroad, move money around, move elsewhere and keep you money safe even if your country if falling apart. People in Ukraine sure understand the value of such an asset.

12)Be ready to bug out and know when to do so
If there is one thing we can learn from the war in Ukraine, as well as war and conflict in other parts of the world, is that not being there is the best thing you can do to ensure your survival and well-being of your family. Always have a bug out abroad plan, no matter who you are or where you live. Just think about it. If you had to leave your country today, (don’t think of all the reasons you wouldn’t, just for a second, think about it as if you didn’t have an option). Where would you go? Do you know someone there that can help you?
Finally, know when it’s time to leave. This is something I address and emphasize in my book “Bugging Out & Relocating”. It’s about having a plan but also crucial, it’s about executing it at the right time. Those that hesitate, those that choose denial when the signs are all over the place, they may live to regret that. A day too late, an hour too late may make all the difference in the world.
FerFAL

Fernando “FerFAL” Aguirre is the author of “The Modern Survival Manual: Surviving the Economic Collapse” and “Bugging Out and Relocating: When Staying is not an Option”.

http://www.themodernsurvivalist.com/archives/4022

View Quote

FerFAL
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 5:18:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 6:36:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Good read.  Thank you for posting.

ETA/ Please act like an adult.  Thank you.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 6:47:07 PM EDT
[#3]

Excellent points!  

I had not considered off shore accounts but I'll look into it.  

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 6:54:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys, glad you liked it.
FerFAL
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 7:05:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Excellent points!  

I had not considered off shore accounts but I'll look into it.  

View Quote

Interesting point. Given the state of our increasingly insane leaders, and there propensity to steal our money....
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 7:20:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Good read FerFal.  Thanks
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 9:36:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Interesting read, thanks.  Today at work we were talking about how bad things are in Ukraine yet our media barely covers it.  Consensus was that the Administration doesn't want to talk about Ukraine therefore the US media doesn't talk about Ukraine.  Vice News has some pretty good coverage of both sides.  Definitely makes it clear that this is a full on hot war, not some little dust-up that the media generally portrays.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 10:16:21 PM EDT
[#8]
One thing I would caution against is thinking that what is currently happening in the Ukraine (or what happened in the Balkans) would directly translate to a similar SHTF scenario here. I would start with the presumption that the US is where everyone else in the world experiencing SHTF <wants to come>. Second, if localized events (like Katrina) have taught us anything, it's that the lack of a firearm on your person is a prerequisite to becoming a victim. Never, ever, give up your weapons for any reason to anybody. I'm reminded of Solzhenitsyn's comments (see below) in that regard.

That said, I've never had to deal with my neighborhood being shelled and hopefully I never will. The other issue in the Ukraine (and the Balkans before then), is trying to discern who the "good guys" and "bad guys" are, assuming there are any of either in that scenario.

Having cash and/or PMs is always a good idea because even if we never get into a hot civil war (which is highly unlikely IMHO), the dollar and/or the US economy could collapse. Not having all your wealth denominated in a defunct currency can mean the difference between being completely destitute and being inconvenienced by circumstances.

"And how we burned in the camps later, thinking: What would things have been like if every Security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if, during periods of mass arrests, as for example in Leningrad, when they arrested a quarter of the entire city, people had not simply sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every bang of the downstairs door and at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing left to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, hammers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand?... The Organs would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers and transport and, notwithstanding all of Stalin's thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt! If...if...We didn't love freedom enough. And even more – we had no awareness of the real situation.... We purely and simply deserved everything that happened afterward.”

? Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 11:41:48 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

One thing I would caution against is thinking that what is currently happening in the Ukraine (or what happened in the Balkans) would directly translate to a similar SHTF scenario here. I would start with the presumption that the US is where everyone else in the world experiencing SHTF <wants to come>.

View Quote

I was thinking this too as I read this article. Although we're all humans and therefore share many common traits and frailties, I would think there's big cultural differences between Ukrainians and preppers in the United States that would make SHTF play out differently, at least comparing the average Ukrainian citizen to an American prepper. Not to mention that the SHTF scenario itself would be likely based on a different set of facts here that wouldn't look like Ukraine. The way SHTF plays out is all about the scenario anyhow. Depending on what causes it and how much of society remains intact will determine how crazy things get. One SHTF scenario might look like Mad Max, another one simply like the Great Depression.

I do think articles like this are useful for driving home the point that SHTF happens all the time all over the world. We Americans have simply been spared from it within the lower 48 since the end of the Civil War.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 1:32:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Heres my survival recommendation. As learned the hard way in Iraq by ISIS victims

DO NOT RUN FOR POLITICAL OFFICE!

Thanks for clarifying how to deal with checkpoints.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 2:17:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Good read,couple things I never thought about. Thanks for sharing!
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 2:47:04 AM EDT
[#12]
The "things that will get you killed" topic makes a really good argument for caching those items at several destinations
so you don't have to travel with them. Having a rifle, for example, at both point A and point B gives you the option of
not carrying it with you if you think it's going to cause problems traveling between both points.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 7:43:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 8:49:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Geez pal, you do know by "not getting involved" that's how you end up with an Army surrounding your town, right?

Tj
View Quote

The not getting involved part is purely from a survival perspective. Of course, if your country is breing invaded by a foreing force some people will fight it, but then again they would do so joining an organized force military/militia/resistance, and in that case we're talking military survival, E&E and such, not survival from a civilian, non-combatant point of view.
Something similar happens with state terrorism. Maybe you dont feel like being part of the dictatorship, kidnapping and torturiing people, but then again you may not feel much simpathy for extreme left, communist revolutionaries either, and you just want to be left alone and live in peace. This is was the situation 90% of people were caught in between in Argentina during the Dirty War in the 70's .
FerFAL
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 8:54:12 AM EDT
[#15]
I think the key to keep in mind is that not all crisis's are created equal. There is no magic formula that guarantees that you will be safe no matter what. Keeping large amounts of cash on hand creates risks just as having none does. Having a firearm creates risks while not having one creates others. I've watched guys blow their savings and lose their wives prepping for an inevitable war with the Soviets or others later preparing for Y2K, or most recently, dump stocks at a huge loss because they were absolutely sure Obama would be the death of us all. Its like watching Doomsday preppers. Finding some specific calamity and focusing on it while ignoring the most likely scenarios is a mistake. Being well rounded is important as is a realistic analysis of what is likely.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 9:05:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Geez pal, you do know by "not getting involved" that's how you end up with an Army surrounding your town, right?

Tj
View Quote

This is what stood out for me as well. I understand wanting to survive and not wanting to get involved, but some risks have to be taken.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 1:30:58 PM EDT
[#17]
155mm trumps 5.56mm. I hope to not get in the path of either.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 1:53:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks, I enjoyed reading that.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 3:07:09 PM EDT
[#19]
I think the opening of an account in another country is much easier said than done in the U.S. They have begun to put restrictions on this from what i understand, as they do not want money being parked overseas by citizens. I've read story after story about Americans trying to open accounts in Europe especially, and being told no. Anyone have any first hand knowledge of this?
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 3:51:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I think the opening of an account in another country is much easier said than done in the U.S. They have begun to put restrictions on this from what i understand, as they do not want money being parked overseas by citizens. I've read story after story about Americans trying to open accounts in Europe especially, and being told no. Anyone have any first hand knowledge of this?
View Quote

There is also the issue of what type of account? Where? What is the intent?
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 3:56:54 PM EDT
[#21]
How can a person bribe a police or military person when they can just simply take what they want once they know what you have?  For instance, if you offer the person $500 cash to let you through a check point, what would prevent them from searching you, taking your cash and other valuables and turn you around telling you to get lost?
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 4:05:32 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

How can a person bribe a police or military person when they can just simply take what they want once they know what you have?  For instance, if you offer the person $500 cash to let you through a check point, what would prevent them from searching you, taking your cash and other valuables and turn you around telling you to get lost?
View Quote
Not a thing.

But, this kind of bribery is supported by word of mouth. If you rob all your customers you kill the goose.

Of course, you must have an idea of what the normal mordida is...offer too much and they get greedy.

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 4:16:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

They might have superiors present who frown on that sort of thing. Robbing people is a step up from taking a bribe. Taking a $100 slipped in a passport is a lot more subtle than shaking people down.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 4:17:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Shhhh
All the neckbeards are buying up AK's and glocks now.
Good post.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 6:25:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Lots of "homeless" folks bury odds and ends outside of a town or city before entering the city or town.  The kid who died in alaska did it and in doing some oddball searches on the net it seems common for "homeless" folks to have caches and what not here and there.  If going to a shelter they have rules and what not and generally some folks only go in because they need something like medical care or something else.  I put homeless in quotes because I think there are many reasons to not have everything on you all the time.

As far as bribes vs. outright theft, you should pay attention to how things are done before trying anything.

Some folks will be by the book and only by the book and will beat you with the book if you disagree.  Not gonna want to try anything with this one most likely.

Some have a wife and kids that could use some extra food or medicine or maybe a toy or whatever, the money in the passport is easily pocketed without anyone knowing, slight of hand is for more than just magicians.  This person is not about to outright strip search you and yours, strew your belongings out and search everything including ripping out the seams looking for stuff, and then turn the illegal stuff over to his boss as contraband.

Some people will strip you, rip all the seams on all the clothing out, tear books apart to check for stuff hidden in the cover or binding, order a cavity search, and dismount tires on a vehicle looking for stuff.  And turn over all contraband to their boss.  Sometimes these people try to say they are by the book and only by the book, but their book is pretty extreme and the rep will be known.

If you read about east germany and other lovely places you will sometimes find references to where some gaurds or soldiers on patrol were a bit lax or a bit willing to deal with that easy to hide bribe.

Research black markets, it is all part of the game that is played elsewhere and probably coming here eventually.

I work corrections.  You can learn a lot or nothing working corrections.

Learn to be observant.  People in cali used to talk about what folks would pass emissions on a carbed vehicle, now that is a felony and lots of carbed vehicles cost a lot of money to get through emissions.  I was in ohio when it tried emissions stations.  I worked as a mechanic at the time.

Lots of folks did not take their vehicle on the highway and make em work for a bit to get everything nice and hot and running well.  A whole lot of folks took advantage of people saying they could get their car through emissions for a few hundred bucks, in ohio people would fail the first time and cry and I think the 2nd test was free.

All these crooks did was go for a highway run and then cruise into the testing station.  And then charge people hundreds of dollars for a half hour to an hour of time spent cruising.

I wound up taking about all the neighbor's vehicles in, lots of older neighbors who just took vehicle to grocery or doc's office or something.  I did not charge em for it, lots of em insisted on something and I got lots of odds and ends they considered clutter.

Some folks knew someone who worked at these stations.  I just heard stories on that one, I never worked one and never ran into anyone outright saying they would pass it but now and then things were hinted at.

Generally at most the vehicle needed an o2 sensor or something simple, so since I did side work I checked with vehicle owner and changed that out and away we went.  

Anyway, sorry to ramble but there is a whole lot of grey area in today's world.  It might just be who you are, what job you hold, does the valet dig your car or hate it, or who you know.

People are not alike.  Learn to watch and learn from people.

As things come down the road, it will be more important.

I won't ever be a hiney smoocher, but I have somewhat learned when it is best to shut my mouth and be thought smarter than I really am at times.

And sometimes the mouth still opens.  It seems to have a mind of its own.

My boss understands, he has worked corrections longer than I have and he admits my mouth opens a lot less than many other folks.

Don't get noticed by those in power but don't get noticed by those you surround yourself with.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 3:05:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Tagged for future reading. Looks good, ferfal.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 4:32:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Just curious, how much do the Getty images run you?  Subscription?
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 9:23:45 PM EDT
[#28]
although I agree with portions of the post I get from it a certain theme. Kind of a abandon your country feel about it. The overwhelming theme appears to be that a true survivalist should not be worrying about how to survive in HIS country after such events but what is the best way to leave your country and go to another one. Maybe because the author is not American I don't know but as an American something just doesnt sit right with the whole abandon your country theme....Maybe im just a cowboy but contrary to the idea that we are all doomed if we try to stand up to superior force i actually believe that fighting against crappy odds is what Americans are good at. BTW,,, dont bother lecturing me about how artillery trumps small arms and resistance is futile. I don't buy that crap..... There are plenty of ways for small bands of insurgents to fight a superior force but thats a hypothetical for another day
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 10:35:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
although I agree with portions of the post I get from it a certain theme. Kind of a abandon your country feel about it. The overwhelming theme appears to be that a true survivalist should not be worrying about how to survive in HIS country after such events but what is the best way to leave your country and go to another one. Maybe because the author is not American I don't know but as an American something just doesnt sit right with the whole abandon your country theme....Maybe im just a cowboy but contrary to the idea that we are all doomed if we try to stand up to superior force i actually believe that fighting against crappy odds is what Americans are good at. BTW,,, dont bother lecturing me about how artillery trumps small arms and resistance is futile. I don't buy that crap..... There are plenty of ways for small bands of insurgents to fight a superior force but thats a hypothetical for another day
View Quote

Leave that shit outta here....the big bad (insert government /fed /military)of choice) always wins because they have bigger guns....
French in the 1950s..they win right?
Then us in the 60 s...yip got bases in Hanoi today...nope.
Russians in the late 70/80s...umm yeah ..not..
Mid east much.in the last 20 years..

About the only small force that got spanked by a bigger one flat out was in the mid 80s...and we saw how the Brits handled that.

I guess if your used to losing you'd have a defeastist attitude. And see nothing worth fighting for...

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 6:05:30 PM EDT
[#30]
If you want the same type of information from closer to the actual conflict, read the following links.

I found the following invaluable and extremely rare source of information.

The bad news is that it's in Polish and Russian.
https://kefir2010.wordpress.com/2014/02/20/porady-na-wypadek-wojny-zamieszek-kataklizmu-moga-uratowac-ci-zycie/

http://3rm.info/42991-ukraina-sovety-na-vsyakiy-sluchay-a-sluchai-byvayut-raznye.html

Link Posted: 3/6/2015 7:37:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 7:50:56 PM EDT
[#32]
More Great real-world Survival Lessons from Ukraine
Posted on March 4, 2015 by FerFAL

OK, some more great real-world lessons from Ukraine and thoughts being translated from Russian speaking forums. I think some folks here will get an aneurysm when they read about big cities being better, people being stuck in the war zone “because of my farm” and big off-road BOB vehicles not being that great an idea. (off road vehicles are actually being confiscated for official use of either faction, expensive cars are being stolen at checkpoints)
The following quotes have been translated by Sygata from a Russian forum and he kindly let me use them here. I fixed a few typos and spelling errors here and there for clarity.

Bugging in, Bugging out and where to Live

Posted by bofors30
   When it was just starting in Kiev nobody was worried. Big deal, more unrest in Kiev. The first concerns started to appear after the Maidan shooting . It became obvious that there was no way back. After the annexation of Crimea it became obvious that we were going to have war. Interestingly, almost nobody believed that (there were no war for 70 years). I did not want to believe it either, but in reality was suggesting that the war is inevitable. After the appearance of armed people in Slavyansk I realized that I need to make a decision now. And after visiting Khramatorsk and hearing constant gunfire I had no doubts left.
   First decision you have to make is to evacuate or to stay. If you are evacuating, you need to do that as soon as armed groups of people appears. It does not matter if they armed with shotguns or pitchforks. If the government is not capable of stopping them, that’s the end. If you react early enough, you still can sell your house and some of your belongings. The later you go, the less things you will be able to sell, and the less things you will be able to take with you. The earlier you go, the easier it will be to settle on a new place.
   But, if there are roadblocks set, it is too late to evacuate. Especially horrible there were groups of cars with signs “Children”, that tried to pretty much storm through roadblocks under gunfire. There were a lot of those, but a real spike was not when the shells first fall onto our city, but when the city got blocked there was nowhere to go.
   Later, about a month after that, there were the same thing going in the opposite direction, when people who thought it will be over in a month started to go back home. But it was far from over.
   Posted by valdem01
   Usually first evacuation spike is after the place is shelled for the first time. And in the summer people usually were going south, to the beach. In reality, the real combat could have started a month or even more later. By that time people had no money left, and were forced to come back home. Those people are the most scared, they would panic even if an explosion is far away. You also need to take into account the location of the city. City on the single main road could be blocked in a matter of hours. Bigger city would always have an escape route.
   Don’t think you can get away using back roads – usually there are patrols on most of them and on nearby altitudes and any movement there could be treated as enemies Sabotage-reconnaissance group. And now there are mines everywhere. The safest way out for the family is through the main road and road blocks. A lot trouble comes if you have older relatives – they don’t want to go even to a close relatives, but only until shelling did not become constant. When the walls start trembling, they what to go anywhere, but by that time it is impossible.
   Probably the best prepping for situations like that is having some money in some stable currency. You can buy what you need (especially in big cities) or you can use those money to settle in the new place.
   Posted by Lastmad
   What’s better – city car or 4 wheel drive… The thing is, even outside of ATO zone you go only through roadblocks. Of course, if you have a 4WD, you can try to ride through fields or forest roads. But, first of all, if any military sees you that would try to stop you or just will start shooting, either side, because there are a lot of Sabotage-reconnaissance groups. And second – the are mines. And there are a lot of them, and they set by both sides without any maps, so that their own troops get blown up.

Posted by Kolhoz
   For me everything was clear starting February (2014), and I started preparing. But I did not believe into a full blown war, even though I have prepared. I still have some left – canned food, spaghetti, sereals, bataries, radios, etc.
   There are no jobs, at all. Government workers (teachers, police, doctors) are working pretty much for free. I have heard of people getting a can of canned food ant two teabags for a week of work.
   I am not leaving because of my farm, and the farm gives me hope for more or less normal life in any case.

Bugging in

Posted by bofors30
   If you live in large apartment building, you have no choice but to move to your relatives, or look for abandoned house. In the apartment building everything against you:
   Height provokes hits by shelling, sometimes unintentional,
   Overall condition of such buildings is not ideal (couple days ago because of the shell that hit an entrance stairs from first to third floor collapsed in the 5 stories building),
   Heating (Critical in winter, and if central heating pipes froze, thats unfixable)
   Water (Filtration station stopped countless times)
   In the house you can concentrate on solving those problem and solve them much faster and simpler then in the apartment.
   And the most important thing – the shelter nearby. Running to a shelter from 8th floor under unexpected shelling is useless, but covered dugout in the garden is 80% of your survival. We could not make it in our garden because of ground water, so we used kitchen made of concrete blocks, which saved me when 122mm gift landed in my garden.
   Water – your well, or find out where is the closest one. Tap water, if working, is horrible quality, comparably with melted snow from the outside.
   I have gas heating and wood stove. Gas was out couple times, but in general it was stable so far.
   Posted by Lastmad
   Windows… At first, big roll of duct tape was waiting for its time, than we put it on windows, now there is a huge market for rolls of plastic (it just disappeared, and brought here with humanitarian aid). In Donetsk people put Styrofoam wrapped into plastic food wrap in windows instead of double glazing.

Posted by Kolhoz
   I had a brick house. Pretty solid, holds on against bullets and small RPGs. Widows covered by bricks, even without cement hold on surprisingly well.
   Here is my house. Look at the window on the right on a second picture – the bricks are still intact.

People asked where to live better – suburb, city or village. I think the best is a house close to the middle of the city. All the suburb had combat, in the remote villages were no laws, but in the middle of the city there is always some sort of government.
   I am planning to build a new house instead of the old one. My wife told me do whatever you want, but I want a bomb shelter. I am going to build a deep (dual purpose) basement at least 2 meters below the ground. 4 ventilation holes (2 in 2 out), 2 entrances – from the street and from the house, electricity, would stove, put couple bags of charcoal. Make shelves, so that they could be used as beds if needed. Put some shovels there as well.
   Posted by Dr. NeWatson
   My sister s house in Gorlovka, 2.5 stories, pretty good, was not touched by military. Its a war, tactical consideration prevail against greed.
   Posted by Vladar
   Tank could break through the gates of your house without opening them if it will improve its position.
   Separately standing big house would be a taken for the needs of commander.
   When I was walking to my parents house (about 30 min walk) I would attach a label with my name and tell the neighbors where I am going. There I would walk house – well – toilet (I used their toilet to save some water)
   If Grad hits near your building – it is not that bad except if it got directly into your window or into the roof. The most dangerous are the fragments. If it hit right under the house foundation, it just breaks the close by windows. It is much worse if it hit the tree or a an electric post – than you would see the fragments trace all around the house front.
   Nobody would put bricks or sand bags on the windows, but I put foam pillows there, and slept for two month in the hallway. The basement in my building is very narrow, but I visited my friends. They live in an apartment in a 3 stories building with 2 apartments on each store. they had huge basement, and 3 families from houses without basement lived there. About 10 people lived in a room about 13×32 feet, for about 3 month.
   If my neighbor in his apartment keeps large propane tank, I would kill him, and nobody would say anything.
   IMPORTANT!
   If you leaving the house for a day in such situation throw away everything from your refrigerator. You may come back in 3 month, and door to your apartment will be broken by neighbors because of the smell. If the gas company would say that the gas would be given to the building if all apartments checked for leaks, or if the water is leaking and you did not left the keys to the neighbors – the doors would be broken.

Bug out bag

Posted by Kolhoz
   I lived in suburb called Metallist. At first we started to hear gunfire, that tanks and armored vehicles started to come into the neighborhood, first shelling came. For some reason we were still sitting there, nobody wanted to leave the house. And last 3 days we could not anyway. Finally 2 heavily armed guys showed up at my house and said they are going to use the attic, and it would be safer if we move. they gave us 10 minutes to leave the house, and this is were my bug out bags became useful.
   I was planning to have 4 Bug out bags, fist one universal – medicine, roll of plastic, rope, some water, second one expanding the first one -kitchenware, warm clothes, etc., but never got time to complete bag #3 and #4.
   So we threw into a car whatever those bags and whatever we can find in 10 minutes and under shelling left to a farm on the other side of the city, were we had only unfinished barn. Until now we drinking tea with metal caps from bugout bag.

Electricity

Posted by bofors30
   The problems start when electricity goes off. And generator won’t save you. The stores are first to close, phones and internet are not working, businesses are shut down.
   Lastmad
   Generators are good, but they are confiscated by both sides for the needs of roadblocks, so the noise is your enemy. I “lost” (meaning stashed not to be found) 3 generators, and left only a small 1 kW one.
   The thing is, even a low noise generator, when everything dark and quite makes enough noise to be heard. So, I turn it on only during the day, when it is noisy outside and I am sure there no patrols. I charge 12V car batteries, and support my refrigerator and freezer from being completely defrosted.(refrigerator can go 2 days and freezer 4 days without a need for electricity).
   Inverters (250W, 350W and 800W) means I can get 220V (220V is standard for Ukraine – sygata) in complete silence. For me that means light, TV, radio and everything else were lower power 220V is needed. One thing, if you have light, cover your windows unless you want some gift to fly in.
   Some neighbors are running small generators in the apartments, putting a hose on the exhaust and putting it into a window, covering the generator with the cardboard box and mattresses. The run time is short though because of the heat. I really think small (0.75-1 kW) generator is a must.
   Posted by Vladar
   We lost power a bunch of time for 1-2 days and couple for 3-5 days.
   Power would jump from 15V, that became normal at evening (standard in Ukraine 220V) to 170-180 during the day. Surge protectors is a must. When the power is low, most washers would not even turn on (and at that time you will get water once per 3 days, 5pm-7pm). Refrigerators may work on 150V – 180V but sometimes compressor would overheat. Microwave won’t work on low power and charger won’t charge the phone.
   You need to plan your lighting for 1-2 weeks of independent work. Car battery – LED – Converter 12V to USB. Look for rapid chargers with 12V input, you don’t want to sit there for couple hours and wait until 2A charger charges 10A powerbank.
   For not covered lighted window you can get a shot into that window from AK. Prices for batteries and candles grew several times. Powerful flashlight is not needed and even bad for you. The one I used is Akoray k-106 with AA battery, put on a min. and Tank 007 as EDC.
   The most useful flashlights were two I had with motion detectors.
   Posted by Valdam01
   I am hiker and out of all my equipment solar panel with battery charger proved to be one of the view really useful items.

Clothes

Posted by bofors30
   It is funny now to read comments from “experts” pointing out that camo jackets and outwear is pretty common and does not surprise anyone now, so after SHTF it would be even more common. They would say that half of population were they live are using woodland or something similar, and that this is not a uniform but just regular clothes.
   It was just like that here. But at certain point it disappeared. Even civilian colours. Only military and separatists are wearing those. For the olive M65 jacket I almost got arrested (they thought I am an artillery spotter or something like that). Any green colored clothes stand out like a naked prostitute in the middle of church.
   Posted by Lastmad
   Camo and any military styles clothes you can wear only if you are in the military. For civilians it is better to have jackets from Gas or another utility company uniform – they they seem to treat you better on the roadblocks and you are not drawing attention.
   valmad01
   If you have anything on you that even remotely looks like military you will draw unwanted attention with unpredictable results. If you wear ballistic vest, in the best for you case it will be confiscated for the needs of the army and your house will be searched just in case.

Comment by FerFAL: I’d rather get my vest confiscated if found rather than get killed by bullets or shrapnel but I do see the common theme: If you look “military” in any way, either faction will assume you’re an enemy. The best thing to do is to look as normal as possible, and I for one would get rid of any suspicious material before going through a checkpoint. Great point about camo. Camo only makes sense if you are involved in the conflict. Even olive green color can be problematic. We go back to the gray man approach: Be smart, look normal, wear normal clothes in darker, subdued colors and tones like black, dark, gray, dark blue, so as to not attract attention but not look “tactical”. Even my favorite pants, the 5.11 taclite, would be suspicious for a soldier at a checkpoint with a good eye. Same for tactical footwear. I think it’s a good idea to focus on high end, high quality outdoors gear. These tend to be as good or better than military style clothes and don’t look as tactical. In fact, many special ops prefer premium outdoors gear when it comes to clothing and footwear.

Phones

Posted by Lastmad
   On a street in your pocket you should have an old black and white Nokia, with a good battery. Definitely without memory card and camera since those will cause a lot of troubles on roadblocks. The more you can go without charging it the better. GPS is working only in some places, mobile network often goes down, Having SIM cards from multiple providers helps, but if found causes questioning on the roadblocks.
   Phone that only allows to call or send SMS is much better if you stopped at the check point. And there is a lot of those. Also, people are charging the phones in groups, for example by the whole building, and if you don’t have a common charging connector you may not be able to charge it.
   Every smart phone or a tablet is a reason for special attention at the checkpoints, roadblocks or by patrol. They would go through you pictures and may or may not give it back.
   God forbid you are calling or just holding the phone near your ear when driving through roadblock. Minimum you will be beaten up and the phone confiscated, maximum – go to another world, but only after you would proof that you are not an artillery spotter or a scout. Not many people in Donetsk are talking on the phone while walking the streets.
   Posted by Vladar
   Wired phones worked while we had the power. Then they had couple weeks of generate fuel worth. Battery on a local station lasted 1 hour.
   For the streets only the simplest phone without camera or anything else. In a contact book only Mom, Dad, etc. (unless you want to explain who are each of those other people) For the record in your contacts with inappropriate location code you could disappear for couple days. Smartphone will be checked thoroughly – social media accounts, email, pictures, etc.
   You may spent 30 minutes explaining who you wrote what and why.
   You need to have a smartphone though – because of the internet. Viber was working better than SMS. There were cases when phone would display “Emergency calls only”, but Viber was able to send and receive messages. The only thing you need to buy SIM cards in advance. The starting pack for “Kievstar” was going for 100-200 hryvnas (regular price – 15 hryvnas)
   One advice – you need a headset. When you hold a phone in the hands it is not finding connection well, but with bluetooth or wired headset is more convenient for redial, you just push a single button and can redial multiple times. I would tape my phone to the top corner of the window and and would dial while lying in the hallways floor. Or would attach on a tree, where there is a connection and dial standing nearby.

Military on both sides usually willing to help you to charge your phone. In some cases, if the connection present only when you on altitude, that would have somebody standing with you listening to your talk.
   In some cases phone would be able to dial after 10-30 retries, or after midnight. SMS could take 2-3 days to go through, and will take 20-60 tries.
   Also, keep in mind, when connection is bad, the battery goes down much faster (couple hours).
   In the event of shelling don’t put info to the internet for couple of hours, especially if it has GPS tagging, since it could be used to correct shelling.

Radios

Posted by Lastmad
   Radios… you better off leaving them home. And at home I “lost” (meaning hid – sygata) anything decent from Yaesu and to scanners like Aor and Icom. The only thing I have now is Baofeng, that is good enough for scanning and I know I can throw it out without regret if I have to.
   In summer a cab I took was stopped at the checkpoint. The cab had a radio, driver showed a copy of a license and was let go. In fall in the same situation the radio could be ripped out of the car and you beaten up(as part of interrogation), especially if don’t have the papers). Most cab drivers now using android smart phones.
   Posted by Dr. NeWatson
   For carrying weapons you may just get beaten up and weapon is confiscated, but carrying radios, binoculars and and complicated looking electronics is just a sadistic way of suicide. And it is wholeheartedly supported by locals, especially after couple missiles hit near the places giving out humanitarian aid.
   Posted by Kostikfraerok
   In summer time we had a very heated discussion on the roadblock and almost got beaten up for the radio in the cab we took.
   Posted by Vladar
   The only use I can see for the radios is after close explosions to check on relatives living within your radio range. Thats it! Do not talk about what got hit by missiles, were you can buy bread, etc. Never let the neighbours see radios, you don’t know when they will tell about it. Like on the roadblock, they can say: “Hey, my neighbour has the same radio”.
   For communication I would have prefered a long range phone, like Senao
   Posted by Kolhoz
   The main goal of the searches on roadblockes is finding radios, weapon, optic sights and other spy equipment. If found, in the best scenario it confiscated, you lightly beaten up. After that you are interrogated and based on the result either arrested or taken for questioning.
   None of the HAM operators I know got in trouble.
   Friend of mine lives in Schast’e. His house is covered by HF and UHF antennas. Armed forces showed up in his house and offered him a job. He refused and they left him alone.
   When my house was searched, here is the radio setup I had:

I just showed my license and there was no problem
   In September I asked in commandant’s office how to extend the papers and register the radios. They told me to sit quiet and not draw attention. And promised to confiscate at the first sign of trouble.

Yesterday we were hit by Uragan’s ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BM-27_Uragan ). After explosions, like usual, ham operators started to talk, we figured out were the explosions are, so I was able to call my friends to check on them. We also determined what type of missiles was used. We also listening police and emergency teams.
   Today, I have heard how my friend (70+ years old) talked on the radio with a person from the other side. We figured that out by him mentioning ts-2000 ham radio in a car and the fact that he is making kebab.
   One of the ham operators remembered he heard the same guy in the summer. Two other guys started to turn directional antennas. So, basically in 3 minutes we (as a group of HAM operators) identified that person and his location to a 600 yards radius circle on the map.

Comment by FerFAL: Great points on phones. On one hand any smart phone will look suspicious because of its intel ability. The basic phone without camera and no one in your contacts will be checked less thoroughly. Personally, I’d be VERY distrustful of a person with a phone with no contacts other than mom, dad, girlfriend, sister. That to me has spook written all over it. But the point is still valid: They will look into your cell phone, they will check your facebook app and see what you’re up to. You better be pretty neutral and have pictures and comments that reflect that.
At the same time, you need a smartphone so as to go online, talk, connect with people maybe even work or make bank transfers, buy plane tickets. So, you need it, but you have to be careful of what they’ll find if checked and you have to be ready to lose it. My solution. Have both, have a smartphone ready to be checked and have a more basic phone. If it comes down to it, you can try to reason with the soldier and get him to let you keep at least the basis phone. Maybe your son or one of the kids can have it as their personal phone, which would look even less suspicious.
About the radio guy being offered a job. I’m sure that’s exactly what happened, but his position is FAR from ideal. They may come back later and not ASK but they’ll you that you now work for them. Then again, enemy factions may think you are working for them and shell your position or get you with sniper fire. Is the house well placed, with radios, a nice vegetable garden and looks well put together? That’s called a command center my friend, and one side or the other will eventually end up living in it. People in strategically positioned houses, or particularly good houses or structures to set a barrack or command post are either asked or forced to leave.

Medical Care

Posted by bofors30
   If 911 is coming, they don’t have any medicine with them, Pharmacies are empty, they don’t have even common painkillers. If you have chronic disease, your chances are not good. Hospitals are working, but doctors are without salaries. Good doctors are gone (fled the area), the ones that left are not treating you well. Trauma and surgery department are overflown.
   Military goes to regular hospitals, doctors just assigning the medicine, getting it is up to you.
   smith_SVP
   In February we decided that we should keep enough medicine to last for my grandma for 6 month. I also got contact lenses for myself enough for 4 years.

Posted by Kolhoz
   It became a bit better with the medicine, but still most of what pharmacies offer are herbal teas.

Posted by Valdar
   Tranquillizers are a huge deficit. Most pharmacies merged their supplies. One pharmacy was delivering medicine (patients had to pay for it) to people with heart conditions, diabetics, and other chronic disease. In September only most expansive medicines were left in pharmacies.
   My friend had to go to the dentist, got into the chair, and at this point there was a power outage for the whole day.
   In the hospital there were turning on generator for 10-30 minutes an hour, as they said to charge equipment in intensive care unit. But the power was gone multiple times for up to 5 days.
   Ketanov(ketorolac) and similar painkillers disappeared among the first, also Omez (Omeprazole), tranquillizers, antiseptics, bandages. Some specialized medicine you were able to find because pharmacies merged their storages and most people with chronic disease fled.
   Posted by Dr.NeWatson
   All medicine with unchanged form and colour considered good. But without real need we trying not to use it on kids, elderly, pregnant, etc.
   So, here is a real life problem:
   You have a patient with pneumonia and collapse, and you have
   1. AI-2 ( Russian military first aid kit, http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/??-2 ) of unknown year with tetracycline and sulfadimethoxine, that looks intact, but cannot be younger than 1992 (they stopped making those)
   2. Ampiox ( this is oxacillin and ampicillin, http://www.ndrugs.com/?s=Ampiox ), dated to year 2000.
   3. Ephedrine manufactured in 1974.
   What would you do?
   We injected ephedrine, tried microdose of ampiox to check for allergy and injected it when no reaction was found and used sulfadimethoxine. Tetracycline was excluded because of the age and possible toxicity.
   For pain prior to hospital we are giving Ketonal/Ketorol + Butorphanol/Nalbuphine. Hospitals have Buprenorphine and Promedol. Large burnes are handled with local anaesthetics, but our hospital does not have burn department.

For gunshot wounds we setting drainage. Fasciotomy is not used because of the low skill level of the surgents and most of them have not even read battlefield medicine guide. Your body encapsulates small shrapnel just fine.
   Tetanus injection should be made to all wounded, and we trying to enforce this, but in reality it may or may not happen.
   Also for wounded we use injections or IV with contrykal or gordox. If there is a wounded enemy soldier, I will not treat him unless I have a direct order.
   I am against the use of tourniquet by non-medics. Especially because a lot of people when facing the choice to die or become disabled are choosing to die. Long and tight elastic bandage will press a small/medium blood vessel same good and much safer. ( with tourniquet neuromuscular injuries are common). Major blood vessel injury is equal to amputation, nobody would bother making blood vessel suture. From my point of view two tourniquet per group – one carried by medic and one by commander or by sniper is more them enough. Looks like Sweden figured this out, their first aid kit has a semi-elastic bandage.
   My friend almost committed suicide – he thought he lost a leg, but then he figured to look, and saw it intact, he just didn’t feel the leg because of the tourniquet.

Looting/Confiscations by armed forces
   Lastmad
   Imagine the suburbs of the city. The following group enters: pickup track L-200 with large calibre machine gun, two sedans with no tags but some armed forces markings and two large KRAZ.
   A group of 20-30 people with guns wearing balaclavas gets out and goes to closest house.(is it random or by someone tip is different question). The owner opens, and they asking to see the documents of everyone in the house and permission to look around the house. In the first house the owner had no problem with that, and they did not even go into the house. In the next one the owner shows the documents, but refuses to let them to search, and as the result that owner is on his knees with a gun to his head and the house is turned inside out. And it goes like that on the whole street.
   Special attention payed to the people without documents, or if the address in the document does not match this place. If you are a citizen of another country, depending on a country you could be detained.
   A lot of thing if found, confiscated: weapon, regardless licensed or not, radios (after interrogation – why do you have them), generators.
   If camouflage clothes found, balaclavas, hunting/military knives, etc, they are confiscated, and you need to prove to them that you are not an enemy soldier, and to yourself that you are not a moron. Also, if found, gold, worm clothes, gas canisters, flashlights, etc.
   Posted by Vladar
   Abandoned house will be looted, may be even by neighbors, that later will blame military. If a non regular army comes to a village, they would loot houses of local officials and business that support the other side.
   If the village is on a way of combat, some forces are moving in, some retreating, both would definitely stop by to get something.
   If the village is under control by the same force for a long time, the only not-abandoned houses looted will be the once of the people suspected in collaboration with another side of the conflict, and that would be as a “house search”.
   If military occupies some business building or a factory for more than 5-10 hours, all safes are going to be open.

The sign on the following picture says “Will look after you house during the war”. This is actually very useful. A lot of people left thinking it is for 1-2 month, and no cannot come back. People looking after the house may fix windows or heating, mail you some things you left, etc.
   If some store gets hit, it considered open and is looted. In some cases some good people were taping the process and gave the recording to the owner, but nobody was punished.
   Home improvement/construction stores are either looted, or closed by local government (declared a strategic supply reserve)

It goes without saying that not all situations are the same and what works well or makes sense in one specific case may not in another. Survivalism has no black and white answers. In fact, the key to survival is adaptability. Learn and adapt. Adapt the things you learn to your specific case. Having said that, by far the best source of information to learn from is real world events, other people’s real experience. Too often we hear about survival “experts” telling others that things will go down this way or another and when you confront them with FACTS, things that actually happened, that actually went down a certain way, the answer usually floats around something along the lines of: “…yeah… but it would be completely different here, cuz this is ‘Merica!”. And if you ask why is it that they rather not learn from things that have actually happened, rather than prepare based on what they see on “The Walking Dead” the answer doesn’t make much more sense and it goes along something like “… cuz… this is ‘Merica!”
Don’t be that guy. Learn from these experiences, from what others have gone through. It may not happen exactly the same but there are a TON of similarities, there always are. This is much more useful than wasting time debating the survival lessons seen in some TV series.
FerFAL

Fernando “FerFAL” Aguirre is the author of “The Modern Survival Manual: Surviving the Economic Collapse” and “Bugging Out and Relocating: When Staying is not an Option”.

http://www.themodernsurvivalist.com/archives/4032
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 8:59:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Things are different here. Not just because it is "merica" as you say but because they really are different. One of the guys you quote say it is best to have a house in the middle of town. Cities in America are sprawling rather than a typical European style town with a town square in the middle of town. If you live in the middle of most American cities you are probably living in a poor neighborhood that has a significantly higher than average violent crime rate.

Regarding clothes, I can't express enough how ubiquitous real tree and mossy oak camo is. It is redneck fashionable. Teenage girls who don't even hunt wear it. For the most part it is what people pick up at WalMart which is like the only place to buy any thing where I live. There aren't enough non-camo jackets to go around here if everyone suddenly stopped wearing them. Honestly, I try to blend in as much as possible to not be recognized. I am a doctor in a small town, and if I need to get to WalMart and get out asap, I have to make sure I am not seen by one of my crazy patients. I keep a realtree cap and jacket in my truck and put it on when I go in there. No kidding. I've walked right by people I have known my whole life like that because that is how every other guy looks.

I do think there are some valuable lessons to be learned here. But I also have to look at those differences because they are significant.

Similarly, if I read a study on a hypertension medicine that had as its participants all Chinese women, but my patient population is 50/50 male/female and 70% white and 30% black with no Asian people at all, then the conclusions of that study may not be relevant to my patients. Not sure if I am making my point with that.

Thanks for taking the time to put this post together, it had been informative even if I don't agree with every recommendation made in it.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 9:32:34 PM EDT
[#34]
One of the best postings ive seen, well presented.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 9:44:49 PM EDT
[#35]
This is a good read
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 11:20:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Ferfal, it might be helpful to google earth cities and towns in Bosnia, in Iraq, and then in the USA.

Look for surface roads and serviceable trails that could allow for foot and vehicle traffic into the town/city.

1) American cities East of the Mississippi are approachable by dozens if not hundreds of roads, right of ways, trails, rail roads, etc. so to effectively seal off an American City like, say, Baltimore, an occupying or invading army would need a considerable amount of boots on the ground. They might lock up the main avenues but there would be hundreds of escape routes in and out. The siege would be very porous.

2) Artillery... in Bosnia, Iraq, Syria, etc. it seems like everyone has howitzers and mortar tubes. I don't know how many artillery tubes the Army has but I'd hazard a guess that we have no where near the amount that Soviet bloc armies had. We don't have that many AA guns either. As for mortar tubes.... think how many good ol boys can McGuyver up some tubes in their machine shops if given a go order?

3) ammo supply for the artillery and mortar teams.... given the porousness of American cities, keeping would-be besiegers supplied would not be as easy as it is in other places.... we can't stop illegal drugs or illegal immigrants right now, I don't think we'd be able to stop illegal mortar ammo from flooding the zone if it came to it.

Now, if it doesn't come to open hostilities, I could imagine a scenario where some national government just turns off the electricity to a given zip code to punish it into compliance with some law or mandate. Blockade of essentials that can't be home grown for long is a tried and true alternative to physical siege and destruction.

All of this reinforces our need to remain engaged in the political system so it never gets to this trial by fire.

But given how we think, the first time this happens to an American city, whole industries devoted to bunkers and home made forges will spring up overnight so the worst doesn't happen in our zip code.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 12:50:31 AM EDT
[#37]
A couple of things I wonder about relative to the real applicability of things overseas vs. here. What is the percentage of the population in Ukraine, Balkans, etc. that were part of the military? Is that percentage higher or lower than it is here in the US? Also, what is the percentage of gun ownership outside the military there vs. here? I suspect that there is a much higher percentage of the population in the military there vs. here and that the percentage of non-military gun ownership here is perhaps an order of magnitude higher. If that is indeed the case, one could easily conclude that the ability of any particular military force to subjugate large (or even fairly small) portions of the US population would be very, very small.

The other thing I wonder about. One of the checkpoint pictures showed maybe 4-5 people manning the checkpoint. Ambushing that small a group would be trivial even with light weapons. When a commander came to a house to demand to search/confiscate it, it wouldn't take too many homeowners shooting them in the face to make these uniformed marauders not do that anymore. Armed, widespread resistance is the most effective method for destroying an occupation, assuming that all methods prior to SHTF failed.

I also believe that since the US is so large and diverse, that many of the things we see happening in very small, condensed foreign countries really wouldn't translate to the US geography. There are areas of this country that have virtually no one for miles and other areas of the country where thousands are packed into a city block. The Ukraine has to deal with foreign soldiers (ie the Rooskies) who have invaded their country surreptitiously and have decided to start carving up the country to be a Soviet-like satellite. That particular dynamic just doesn't/can't work here, massive Mexican invasion not withstanding . Even a Balkan-like disintegration would not be all that likely because of the lack of the type of regional language, ethnicities, and other divisions that was part of the root cause of the lack of commonality as a cohesive country there. Here, not so much. We all are distinctly American, even if politically we are sharply divided. The only way we'd disintegrate is if the Feral Government became so overwhelmingly oppressive that the more conservative states decide they've had enough and pull out to form a new version of the America that our Founding Fathers envisioned. Some would say that America is not just a country, it's a state of mind, one which hopefully we will never lose.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 7:09:40 AM EDT
[#38]
Some good advice.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 8:25:17 AM EDT
[#39]
Not sure how I missed this before, but I'm glad I found it.  Thanks for posting it.

Although there are too many differences to list between the US and Europe, there are still some very valid parallels to consider.

I was amused by the fact that the Ukrainians are as prone to boating accidents as we are.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 9:34:19 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not a damn thing. This is one reason their is cash forfeiture laws. Surely any good citizen would not have more than $100. in cash. Therefore any citizen having more than that in cash HAS to be a drug dealer comrade!

It's really only the conscience of the person taking the bribe and the salesmanship involved in the bribe that might make it or break it in that regard.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 11:56:42 AM EDT
[#41]
A lot of your post contradicts itself.

This is what I mean, if the invading force or army wants your town, they'll take it. They'll take your food, they'll take your water. They will only allow you to have what they want you to have.

The message in the first paragraph is either capitulate, or.......die.

Maybe the most obvious lesson to be learned is how miserably all these fantasies about forming survival groups, living in a retreat while fighting against impossible odds would ultimately fail. There’s simply no surviving against an occupation force when facing them as an individual or small group. Houses, towns and even entire cities can eventually get surrounded and overpowered. A single house or compound represents a laughable resistance to organized armed forces, let alone ones with artillery and air support at their disposal. Once shooting at your position is no longer fun, they’ll just blow you up. It’s as simple as that.

You posted lots of advice, ......not bad advice, but moot when faced with an occupying force.

As explained earlier, you want to be able to conceal your weapons. Eventually, you may have to leave behind you rifle and even your handgun. You sure won’t be boarding an evacuation plane with one. What about going through check points? Is it worth getting killed or arrested? Or are you better of selling you gun to someone that is staying behind, grab a few extra hundred bucks just as you board a bus or train leaving the conflict area? You want a gun that is ubiquitous, that fires a common round and has a well-known reputation. Basically you want a great weapon that works well for you, but you also want a weapon that is eventually easy to sell as well. Conflict or not, Glocks and AKs are great staples.

What good is this advice? If who are you going to fight? I thought that artillery and infantry will steam roll you if you resist?

If you fight they will shell you and your town, if you don't fight they will occupy you and control your very existence.

Yes, the occupying force is just a political extension of the governments at odds.

This all you can do if you are not going to fight the invaders. Fight or run. anything else is a miserable gut wrenching, slow way to die.

If there is one thing we can learn from the war in Ukraine, as well as war and conflict in other parts of the world, is that not being there is the best thing you can do to ensure your survival and well-being of your family. Always have a bug out abroad plan, no matter who you are or where you live. Just think about it. If you had to leave your country today, (don’t think of all the reasons you wouldn’t, just for a second, think about it as if you didn’t have an option). Where would you go? Do you know someone there that can help you?
Finally, know when it’s time to leave. This is something I address and emphasize in my book “Bugging Out & Relocating”. It’s about having a plan but also crucial, it’s about executing it at the right time. Those that hesitate, those that choose denial when the signs are all over the place, they may live to regret that. A day too late, an hour too late may make all the difference in the world.
FerFAL

There are only two avenues to go, fight, or surrender. Your life may be spared in one but your soul will be crushed, or in the other instance, your soul will be empowered but your life may be lost.

I'll choose the latter every time.

I'll die one day. Of that I am certain. How I die is of no importance. How I lived means everything.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 2:09:16 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
A lot of your post contradicts itself.

This is what I mean, if the invading force or army wants your town, they'll take it. They'll take your food, they'll take your water. They will only allow you to have what they want you to have.

The message in the first paragraph is either capitulate, or.......die.

You posted lots of advice, ......not bad advice, but moot when faced with an occupying force.

What good is this advice? If who are you going to fight? I thought that artillery and infantry will steam roll you if you resist?

If you fight they will shell you and your town, if you don't fight they will occupy you and control your very existence.

Yes, the occupying force is just a political extension of the governments at odds.

This all you can do if you are not going to fight the invaders. Fight or run. anything else is a miserable gut wrenching, slow way to die.

FerFAL

There are only two avenues to go, fight, or surrender. Your life may be spared in one but your soul will be crushed, or in the other instance, your soul will be empowered but your life may be lost.

I'll choose the latter every time.

I'll die one day. Of that I am certain. How I die is of no importance. How I lived means everything.
View Quote

Deaf ears your words will fall on...you have to remember the OP is a pass port in one hand and a wad of cash in his pocket and a plane ticket elsewhere kind of "prepper "......not your typical American prepper /survivalist /patriot who would stay and fight vs run to "greener fields "...
I kinda dig the 1st picture...those walls look like they were never finished...meaning if an arty round /RPG /etc hit it..it was occupied by fighters possibly ..gotta love media.

Link Posted: 3/7/2015 4:09:06 PM EDT
[#43]
Folks, so as to save everyone time, those that feel that way just post this. Its MUCH faster:

or this one, which is in fact more realistic:

As for anyone that wants to discuss real survival and preparedness, I'd love to do that.

FerFAL
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 4:10:37 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Not sure how I missed this before, but I'm glad I found it.  Thanks for posting it.

Although there are too many differences to list between the US and Europe, there are still some very valid parallels to consider.

I was amused by the fact that the Ukrainians are as prone to boating accidents as we are.
View Quote

Curious right? Turns out people ARE similar in many ways in spite of living in different countries.
FerFAL
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 4:45:06 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Folks, so as to save everyone time, those that feel that way just post this. Its MUCH faster:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-afNoPAHNRY8/T_c7FCOmSAI/AAAAAAAABf0/X0WhIJFN408/s1600/reagan+velociraptor.jpg

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/a6/a6e872a3a830f127c07f0e3c045c40d100ffbdd699a8c3a854648097f0226bee.jpg

As for anyone that wants to discuss real survival and preparedness, I'd love to do that.

FerFAL
View Quote

holy fuck i just shit myself..on that one!

Link Posted: 3/7/2015 6:32:04 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-afNoPAHNRY8/T_c7FCOmSAI/AAAAAAAABf0/X0WhIJFN408/s1600/reagan+velociraptor.jpg

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/a6/a6e872a3a830f127c07f0e3c045c40d100ffbdd699a8c3a854648097f0226bee.jpg

FerFAL
View Quote

Is this GD? Nope, just checked. It is the SF. Anyone that is trying to point out some differences gets labeled an uneducated/ignorant buffoon? Come on, really, man?

I pointed out that the advice to live in the middle of the city may not be the smartest thing in most US cities. The two biggest cities I have lived in were Jackson, MS and Mobile, AL. Hardly really big cities but biggish for the south. Even in normal, non-shtf situations, it is dangerous living in the poor, central parts of the city. I can only imagine how sideways things would get there with out rule of law. This is terrible advice here.

There is no reason to insult and marginalize anyone that is offering counter-points to those discussed herein. It is, after all, a forum for discussion.

Eta: Correction, the biggest cities I have lived in, in the US are Mobile and Jackson. Biggest city, I have lived in was Guatemala City. I was in Zone 6 right next to zone 18. If anyone is familiar you know that the SHTF every damn day there.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 9:01:27 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Leave that shit outta here....the big bad (insert government /fed /military)of choice) always wins because they have bigger guns....

About the only small force that got spanked by a bigger one flat out was in the mid 80s...and we saw how the Brits handled that.

I guess if your used to losing you'd have a defeastist attitude. And see nothing worth fighting for...

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A lot of them got killed to get those victories.  And while the US tends to play nice with insurgents most other countries will happily go after their families if they can identifiy them.  IMO the I will be a guerilla fighter fantasy so many peole have is not very well thought out.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 9:13:53 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

A lot of them got killed to get those victories.  And while the US tends to play nice with insurgents most other countries will happily go after their families if they can identifiy them.  IMO the I will be a guerilla fighter fantasy so many peole have is not very well thought out.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Historically speaking the majorities of insurgencies lose and post 1945 have lasted on average 11.5 years
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 11:42:12 PM EDT
[#49]
I think this is valuable information even for people living in ‘Merica.  

What we are seeing in the Balkan wars and in the Ukraine is effectively an invasion of one region by another region.  We will not see Canadia invade ‘Merica, but we may see regional conflict.  

Many states are effectively ruled by one metropolitan area.  In Washington state it is Seattle.  In Oregon it is Portland.  In Idaho it is Boise.  In Pennsylvania it is Philadelphia and Pittsburgh.  New York state is delineated by upstate and downstate regions.  

After a protracted economic decline, I could envision effective societal separations of urban and rural areas and subsequent conflict over food and fuel that may make these lessons valuable to us in the long term.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 1:05:05 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

FerFAL
View Quote

Instead of posting memes Had to check and make sure I wasn't in Gd.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top