Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/2/2015 4:35:15 PM EDT
I have been carrying quite a nice little kit in my backpack and luggage for years. One of the things that goes with me everywhere is a small CC radio am/fm/shortwave. It hasn't been used once in the many years I have carried it all over the nation. I'm trying to decide if I should drop it permanently.

If you got stuck halfway across the country and had to make your way home, how much importance would you place on it?
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 4:40:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Somewhat important, maybe.

Imagine that it was an EMP, or other scenario that took out the grid. Traffic comes to a complete stop in anything resembling urban areas. Your SUV/truck, whatever is stuck in gridlock. You need to hike it 50 miles home.

Since this type of attack on our system could very possibly come just prior to some type of conventional military actions, there may be nuclear/bio/chem warfare occurring. Would be nice to know while heading back to your home.

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 4:59:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Imagine that it was an EMP, or other scenario that took out the grid. Traffic comes to a complete stop in anything resembling urban areas. Your SUV/truck, whatever is stuck in gridlock. You need to hike it 50 miles home.

Since this type of attack on our system could very possibly come just prior to some type of conventional military actions, there may be nuclear/bio/chem warfare occurring. Would be nice to know while heading back to your home.

View Quote

That is why a radio of some sort has traveled with me for 16 years. I do wonder if it is overkill sometimes. For me that hike might be a lot further than 50 miles. I'm in Phoenix heading to So Cal. I live in Ohio.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 5:08:45 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
That is why a radio of some sort has traveled with me for 16 years. I do wonder if it is overkill sometimes. For me that hike might be a lot further than 50 miles. I'm in Phoenix heading to So Cal. I live in Ohio.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, it could take you weeks to get home. I would carry it. Could always ditch it later. Plus, wires, batteries, etc can be useful.

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 5:28:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Yeah, it could take you weeks to get home. I would carry it. Could always ditch it later. Plus, wires, batteries, etc can be useful.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I really have almost nothing superfluous in my travel kit.  I would ditch the electronics and that is about it.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 5:50:38 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I really have almost nothing superfluous in my travel kit.  I would ditch the electronics and that is about it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I meant the wires/batts inside the electronics (if you dismantle them).

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 6:06:37 PM EDT
[#6]
I get that. I would ditch my tablet and other heavy crap I won't be able to use.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 7:57:45 AM EDT
[#7]
I'd like to do a video on GHBs. Why do you need five different ways to start a fire? How does listening to the news get you home?  Something going to change your mind?

The whole concept is to assist you in an emergency, and we stock them with supplies for gunshot wounds and enough candy bars to gain weight on the trip home.

I don't think many are prepared or rehearsed to try to get home using it, and I'm sure few have done any research about routes home and who lives along them.

Am fm radio? Sure, and how about some bushcraft books and some tent pegs that "might prove useful"?
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 10:40:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'd like to do a video on GHBs. Why do you need five different ways to start a fire? How does listening to the news get you home?  Something going to change your mind?

The whole concept is to assist you in an emergency, and we stock them with supplies for gunshot wounds and enough candy bars to gain weight on the trip home.

I don't think many are prepared or rehearsed to try to get home using it, and I'm sure few have done any research about routes home and who lives along them.

Am fm radio? Sure, and how about some bushcraft books and some tent pegs that "might prove useful"?
View Quote

I have tent pegs......

The radio would help me avoid walking into a very bad situation. Like an irradiated zone or a occupied area, or a flooded area, or a massive winter storm.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 10:45:14 AM EDT
[#9]
You might try replacing it with a radio like the Baofeng UV5R that can not only be set to receive FM channels, but also be used to communicate to try and get help or talk to your family as you get closer to home.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 10:47:33 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

View Quote
I have probably at least 5-6 different WAYS to start a fire, but closer to 10-12 TOOLS to start a fire in my GHB. Even my IFAK has 3 methods of fire starting.

But I live in the frozen north where starting a fire or not can easily decide if you live or not.

I pack bic lighters and plan on using them first. Then matches. Then the ferro rods. Etc, etc. I am not playing Cody Lundin unless I have to.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 11:47:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Buy fancy bag ...fill with fancy shit...post pictures about it and your opinion about how great it is on the web....
Have all the newb preppers fill your ego for the next year....
Most don't even use their BOB....sure you'll get a100 replies of "better yo have than not...."
My answer is OK....dump what you don't need per x scenario ...now go walk for four hours......not to the corner an back.

I carry one of my 5*8 sil tarps in my ghb...no tent pegs...:p I can make some...with either my miltitool ...tactical folder...or moral...then I have the mini Swiss army on my key chain and my cold steel neck knife....
:) ...edc threads kill me LOL

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 12:38:36 PM EDT
[#12]
I don't think many folk realize how majorly fucked I would be if something really major happened right now and I had to get home from here.  I would take the rental car as far as I could go,  but damn.  Crazy to think about. Just think what  would  like without any outside source of information.  

Ps. My 4 tent pegs are titanium.....
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 3:46:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I don't think many folk realize how majorly fucked I would be if something really major happened right now and I had to get home from here.  I would take the rental car as far as I could go,  but damn.  Crazy to think about. Just think what  would  like without any outside source of information.  

Ps. My 4 tent pegs are titanium.....
View Quote

I think about that kind of thing...I go to South America for business a few to several times a year.  I've spent a lot of time looking at the map and how far it is!
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 6:00:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I have been carrying quite a nice little kit in my backpack and luggage for years. One of the things that goes with me everywhere is a small CC radio am/fm/shortwave. It hasn't been used once in the many years I have carried it all over the nation. I'm trying to decide if I should drop it permanently.

If you got stuck halfway across the country and had to make your way home, how much importance would you place on it?
View Quote

That's a tough one, how much stuff do you currently have?  I would probably keep the radio.  In a real bad SHTF shortwave could come in handy.  If not you could always toss it once you "hit the road."

I don't travel far often, but when I do I throw in one of my hand held Ham radios that is capable of VHF, UHF and can listen to FM broadcast.  I have a few universal channels in there like VHF 6 & VHF 16.  FRS, GMRS, MURS.  A couple state wide LE and EMS freqs...  Only down fall vs a small radio like yours is lack of shortwave.  Positive is its capable of transmitting.  I usually throw in a spare battery for it.  With limited monitoring two batteries would last me weeks on end.

When I travel I don't usually have a bag dedicated to get home duty, I usually intergrade some preparedness items into what I am bringing.  
Small FAK,
Nalgene and nesting cup or a SS bottle,
small roll of tape,
couple other small repair items,
some paracord,
maybe a silnylon tarp,
rain coat,
bit set to go with my leatherman,
Mora,
sharpening rod,
head lamp,
spare batteries,
spare mini LED light,
snacks,
meds,
chapstick,
note pad,
pens,
HT radio,
Gloves, and winter hat.
chargers for anything I have with me.
Pretty much the same stuff that rides in my EDC pack...  Very minimalistic, but functional items that would help you along in any situation.

Obviously if I am on a plane some things have to be omitted.  a small simple SAK would get checked with my baggage.  Mora and leatherman stay home.  I would probably add a small straw filter if heading out of state as well.

Oh, and I would like to see some pictures
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 6:38:40 PM EDT
[#15]
My backpack serves as my computer case, although it's only a tablet now.
My pack always has;
Mora
Leatherman wave
Top and bottom thermals
Undies and socks
Sawyer mini plus two pouches
Radio
Flashlights
Compass
Batteries
Light my fire
Garmin road GPS
First aid
Tooth brush
Toilet paper mini rolls
Sweater or hoodie

My luggage has
Wiggies mid weight bag
Bivy bag
5x8 silnylon tarp
Ti pot
Alcohol stove
Lighters, ferro rod, magnesium rod
More first aid
Para cord
Emberlit stove
Work clothes

This is not complete but it gives you an idea of what I keep with me. My preps only add about 10 lbs to my over all load. It's not that bad.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 11:45:15 PM EDT
[#16]
This is a rundown of my backpack contents I carry for work as I travel. A lot of this stuff is just normal to have in inclement weather. I carry it all year long. This does not include my checked luggage.

Survival and dual purpose backpack stuff

Light my fire
Micro headlamp
Fenix UC35 dual use
4 sevens AA tactical dual use
USB AA charger with 2 spare Eneloops
Socks
Underware
Poly pro top
Poly pro bottom
Frogtog top
Frogtog bottom
CC radio am/fm/sw
Compass
Sawyer mini with syringe and two bladders
Purification tablets
USB Brunton 5 watt panel
Two lithium ion backup batteries electronics
Izzy bandage and bandaids
Diarrhea, gas, and antihistamine tablets.
Snacks
Garmin road GPS
Brunton 7x monocular
Passport

Total weight without water and food. Around
15# everyday normal weight, with normal work stuff included.

The extra stuff probably adds 5# to 7# or so.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 12:03:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Luggage kit

Wiggies intermediate bag
REI Bivy sack
Silnylon tarp with precut lines
4 titanium tent pegs
Titan titanium pot with lid
Vargo titanium alcohol stove
Bic lighter
Small magnesium bar with sparker
Mora Pro SS
Leatherman wave
Wrist/ankle wrap
Petroleum jelly/cotton balls
Jute twine
4 sevens 2AA
4 Extra lithium ion AA'S
Meds and first aid
Emberlit stove
Paracord
Goldbond powder
Knife sharpener

The extras add about 15# or so.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 12:16:36 AM EDT
[#18]
What would you add or remove?
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 12:27:58 AM EDT
[#19]
To me it's always a surprise to hear what people on a gun forum 'carry' in a bob or ghb. I started on gun forums, but after hiking I try to merge my gun forum what-ifs with backpacking forum certaintys.

In My Opinion:

Gun forums come up with everything that could possibly be useful, guns, knives, radios, FAK, sharpening systems, rope, fish anti biotic, heavy water bottles, flares, note books, tie wraps, thermometers, ammo, binoculars,  you name it. These guys make a sweet load out that can handle any situation and never carry it.

Backpacking forum guys are the complete opposite. They plan for a set number of days in the bush and bring only that, which is a stove, tent, sleeping bag, and sustenance. Everything is scrutinized for weight savings. They hike very long distances over the space of weeks covering at least 10 miles a day. 100 miles in 2 weeks isn't a problem at all. Their packs are as light as possible, but an extra week in the bush and they would be hungry.

My opinion is learn from both and actually practice carrying your gear. I did and I lean more towards the backpackers because overloading yourself by packing for every contingency makes the day to day hikes 10 times as hard.

I know many have done it, but try this as a challenge before you blast me. Practice. Load up your bob or ghb and try to cover any significant distance with it. Let alone managing a water and food supply in the mean time. Where are you hiking and how often will mother nature resupply you? I think i'd ditch an FM radio. When the going gets tough you look at your gear in a whole new way. A way that really considers what you can do without to loose weight and make the next step easier.

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 9:39:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
To me it's always a surprise to hear what people on a gun forum 'carry' in a bob or ghb. I started on gun forums, but after hiking I try to merge my gun forum what-ifs with backpacking forum certaintys.

In My Opinion:

Gun forums come up with everything that could possibly be useful, guns, knives, radios, FAK, sharpening systems, rope, fish anti biotic, heavy water bottles, flares, note books, tie wraps, thermometers, ammo, binoculars,  you name it. These guys make a sweet load out that can handle any situation and never carry it.

Backpacking forum guys are the complete opposite. They plan for a set number of days in the bush and bring only that, which is a stove, tent, sleeping bag, and sustenance. Everything is scrutinized for weight savings. They hike very long distances over the space of weeks covering at least 10 miles a day. 100 miles in 2 weeks isn't a problem at all. Their packs are as light as possible, but an extra week in the bush and they would be hungry.

My opinion is learn from both and actually practice carrying your gear. I did and I lean more towards the backpackers because overloading yourself by packing for every contingency makes the day to day hikes 10 times as hard.

I know many have done it, but try this as a challenge before you blast me. Practice. Load up your bob or ghb and try to cover any significant distance with it. Let alone managing a water and food supply in the mean time. Where are you hiking and how often will mother nature resupply you? I think i'd ditch an FM radio. When the going gets tough you look at your gear in a whole new way. A way that really considers what you can do without to loose weight and make the next step easier.

View Quote

I cannot ignore the circumstances in which I would be surviving. That radio might get ditched as soon as I start walking but it could save me from walking into a nightmare.

I'm looking at a pack weight of about 30 lbs loaded with water bottles and food. That is well within the limits for a back packer but realizing that I'm in extreme danger and not enjoying my weekend.

I really hope that I can cross some distance in my rental car even if I can't refuel it. That could save me months of walking.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 10:18:16 AM EDT
[#21]
A similar topic came up on another board and my reply had a lot of disagreement, but I was looking at being realistic.  It depends a lot on how far you potentially will have to go on foot.  Using some figures from extremely well prepared ultralight backpackers, they are able to get two weeks worth of food in about 20 lbs.  Assuming no resupply and you had that amount of food with you, your get home range is however far you can walk in that amount of time.  My former boss' daughter hiked the entire AT and would sometimes do 40 miles in a day, but that was not the average and after a week or so she would often take a trail break and get a motel, stay with someone for a few days, etc, plus she was not weighed down with much more than the bare minimum to make it to her next resupply point.  With that in mind I think 10-20 miles a day during a SHTF situation is more realistic, and that is assuming a person is in shape and supplied to move that fast.  I am on the road with work a lot, so it was sobering to think about.

So, that was long winded, but I think you need to completely rethink your entire GHB.  It sounds like you are light on food, depending on the average distance to home.  I would look into what the ultralight backpackers are using since their primary requirement is calorie density, which would be a big requirement for a GHB as well.  I would keep the radio, although I liked the idea of a 2-way with AM/FM/SW capability, or maybe just put it in your regular luggage since you can pack it or leave it when the time comes.

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 10:22:44 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
A similar topic came up on another board and my reply had a lot of disagreement, but I was looking at being realistic.  It depends a lot on how far you potentially will have to go on foot.  Using some figures from extremely well prepared ultralight backpackers, they are able to get two weeks worth of food in about 20 lbs.  Assuming no resupply and you had that amount of food with you, your get home range is however far you can walk in that amount of time.  My former boss' daughter hiked the entire AT and would sometimes do 40 miles in a day, but that was not the average and after a week or so she would often take a trail break and get a motel, stay with someone for a few days, etc, plus she was not weighed down with much more than the bare minimum to make it to her next resupply point.  With that in mind I think 10-20 miles a day during a SHTF situation is more realistic, and that is assuming a person is in shape and supplied to move that fast.  I am on the road with work a lot, so it was sobering to think about.

So, that was long winded, but I think you need to completely rethink your entire GHB.  It sounds like you are light on food, depending on the average distance to home.  I would look into what the ultralight backpackers are using since their primary requirement is calorie density, which would be a big requirement for a GHB as well.  I would keep the radio, although I liked the idea of a 2-way with AM/FM/SW capability, or maybe just put it in your regular luggage since you can pack it or leave it when the time comes.

View Quote

I will have to buy food when the time comes, or get some from my sales guys. That is a huge worry. I'll load up as much food as I can carry but if I have to cross 1500 miles God is going to have a big hand in my survival. I don't have all the answers. I know I'm better off with my kit than without it.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 4:53:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Personally I would pack a multi ban handheld  but I understand and appreciate the SSB. Shortwave rx need.  For me comms are way too important to leave out
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 6:36:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Honestly, man if you had to go that far, I'd hope you could find a way to procure transportation. Either hitching a ride, or buying a bike or something. If it is a known route that you would be traveling, and you could find a way to set up caches on the way, that would be life saving. Depending on how much money you wanted to spend on preparing for this possibility. You could rent a storage unit and keep a bike, or even a motorized scooter or something in it along with supplies.

Not what you were asking about, but just a thought.

If this is really something you plan for then you ought to have the route planned out, know how far you can make it each day, and have where you would plan to stay. Then have supplies cached along the way.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 7:30:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Unless u keep it in a Faraday cage it's not going to work either.

I say ditch it.

If Cell phones don't work your radio is not either.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 9:32:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

this is not entirely true.. cell towers are tied to the grid and the grid is vulnerable to EMP it doesnt mean that ALL electronics will be cooked...certainly those attached to the electrical grid will be vulnerable because of all the transformers and switches...

I say ditch it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

this is not entirely true.. cell towers are tied to the grid and the grid is vulnerable to EMP it doesnt mean that ALL electronics will be cooked...certainly those attached to the electrical grid will be vulnerable because of all the transformers and switches...

I say ditch it.

Link Posted: 3/10/2015 10:28:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I say ditch it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I say ditch it.

Not necessarily true.  Cell phones work utilizing a network of cell towers, links, switchboards and IP technology.  Radios receive a FM or AM or short wave Broadcast.  Some can TX it.
EMP is subject to severity and actual effectiveness.  A solar flare could be considered a low frequency EMP which could affect the grid and everything attached to it like cell towers.  While many broadcast stations are attached to the grid many have back up power and probably some backup components.  Many amateur operators have equipment that is shielded.  You could listen to updates and information via shortwave or even local VHF/ FM.  
I am sure .gov also has plenty of shielded broadcast equipment to.

Link Posted: 3/10/2015 11:02:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Honestly, man if you had to go that far, I'd hope you could find a way to procure transportation. Either hitching a ride, or buying a bike or something. If it is a known route that you would be traveling, and you could find a way to set up caches on the way, that would be life saving. Depending on how much money you wanted to spend on preparing for this possibility. You could rent a storage unit and keep a bike, or even a motorized scooter or something in it along with supplies.

If this is really something you plan for then you ought to have the route planned out, know how far you can make it each day, and have where you would plan to stay. Then have supplies cached along the way.
View Quote

I'm in North Carolina tonight. I was in Memphis TN for the day. Tomorrow I'll be in Charlotte until afternoon then to Roanoke tomorrow evening. Next week I fly to Oregon, then Spokane, then home.

The week after I'm not sure about yet. Might be California or Florida or Texas or Minnesota or Toronto.

Where do I start putting caches?
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 11:04:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I say ditch it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I say ditch it.

Not true at all. The radio is tiny, unlike the infrastructure that supports cell technology. The cell phone itself might still work fine and be useless to me anyway.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 11:09:36 PM EDT
[#30]
I added a Gerber (finland) saw to my kit . It is the one that the blade slides inside the handle when you release the orange lock screw. It weighs a couple ounces. Almost nothing. It will save some time and effort when I'm cold and tired.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 11:25:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I'm in North Carolina tonight. I was in Memphis TN for the day. Tomorrow I'll be in Charlotte until afternoon then to Roanoke tomorrow evening. Next week I fly to Oregon, then Spokane, then home.

The week after I'm not sure about yet. Might be California or Florida or Texas or Minnesota or Toronto.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hear ya. Was under the impression that you were kind of going to the same area. Make friends with a SF member in each state you travel to! If you start traveling to MS, you can count on me to help you out.

Anyway you slice it, it would be crazy hard to make a trip on foot like you are talking about.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 12:24:52 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I hear ya. Was under the impression that you were kind of going to the same area. Make friends with a SF member in each state you travel to! If you start traveling to MS, you can count on me to help you out.

Anyway you slice it, it would be crazy hard to make a trip on foot like you are talking about.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I got ya covered if your ever in northern NY.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top