Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/1/2015 9:03:43 PM EDT
I found out about Jute twine on Bushcraftusa. I finally found some at Walmart, $4.77 for a pound of thin twine. My goal was to find thicker twine but that will have to wait for later.

This little container came with a variety pack at walmart I bought several years ago. There is about 3 ft in each container. 1" pulled apart and fluffed up will take a spark instantly and get a fire going. There is plenty of heat to start smaller tinder. This makes a great addition to PJ cotton balls as they would extend the burn time to help get bigger tinder going.

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 11:30:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Small fire starter:

Sorry I know this isn't GD, but I couldn't resist.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 4:39:32 AM EDT
[#2]
That's a good idea, the only thing better would be drip some paraffin wax on it for both water proofing and adding a little accelerant to make it burn longer.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 7:30:16 AM EDT
[#3]
You could get some cotton balls and cover with Vaseline.

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 8:32:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You could get some cotton balls and cover with Vaseline.
View Quote

I've got that covered. I just want to show people how small a package fire starters could be.

The container in the picture would barely fit a quarter inside and is 3/4" thick. There is enough tinder to start 30+ fires. I could barely fit 5 cotton balls in the same space.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 8:33:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
That's a good idea, the only thing better would be drip some paraffin wax on it for both water proofing and adding a little accelerant to make it burn longer.

ROCK6
View Quote

If I did that I would have to cut 3" pieces and dip 2" in wax.  That would give me an end to fluff up to take a spark.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 11:40:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

If I did that I would have to cut 3" pieces and dip 2" in wax.  That would give me an end to fluff up to take a spark.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ROCK6

I also dip jute twine into hot wax... Well I actually used the recipe similar for waxing canvas, one part wax, one part turpentine, one part boiled linseed oil, and I found this makes a good fire extender. I just dipped a good amount when waxing canvas and found it works really well. I unravel several feet, leave in a loose wrap and mix it in the hot wax, then hang to dry. That combined with some non waxed jute twine and you have a great combo.  Bic lighter and candle for backup.

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 8:05:45 AM EDT
[#7]
I sometimes stuff the vaseline/cottonball inside a large McDonalds drink straw, stick three or four in there, and then crimp the ends shut using heat from an old iron.  Its small
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 10:32:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Hammro paper is the best fire starter that I know of. Compact, durable, easy to pack, easy to start with a spark. Its not dirt cheap but its cheap enough. I love that stuff.

Quoted:
Small fire starter:
http://i1.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/000/043/disaster-girl.jpg

View Quote

Oh my God, that is SO funny!! Thanks man! Yes, she looks like a little fire starter that little rascal.
FerFAL
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 10:43:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Hammro paper is the best fire starter that I know of. Compact, durable, easy to pack, easy to start with a spark. Its not dirt cheap but its cheap enough. I love that stuff.

Oh my God, that is SO funny!! Thanks man! Yes, she looks like a little fire starter that little rascal.
FerFAL
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Small fire starter:
http://i1.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/000/043/disaster-girl.jpg

FerFAL

Someone shopped a Obama sign in the yard the first time I saw this picture.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top