Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 4:26:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I know the feeling...

I picked up a Stihl MS230-C-BE.  Anti-vibration and EZ start just make me grin ear to ear when I see my brother and cousin struggle to get their farm bosses started.
View Quote

I have an MS 210C  Love the easy start.  And the warning in the booklet that a toddler can start it.  
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 6:52:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

No love for the 372?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Husky 346XP FTW!  

No love for the 372?

Hell yeah! I have a 371, precursor to 372. These are some of the best 70 cc saws ever made

OP asked for a smaller saw, hence the 346 recommendation.

Link Posted: 2/14/2015 7:12:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Well, this is what I have to attack. If you've seen the other pics of the place, you know that most of it is hardwood. But there's about a 1/2 acre of pine that looks like there was a bomb dropped on it.  The pics do it no justice as you can barely walk in there it's so thick with downed trees.

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=73403

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=73404
View Quote

Now damn it I know the cabin is on the side of a mtn. but that first pic is just ridiculous.

I guess you'll just have to give me a pair of loppers and tell me to go at it next trip
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 7:41:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Hell yeah! I have a 371, precursor to 372. These are some of the best 70 cc saws ever made

<a href="http://imgur.com/u0mQkFT" target="_blank">http://i.imgur.com/u0mQkFT.jpg</a>
<a href="http://imgur.com/CH5Vsjm" target="_blank">http://i.imgur.com/CH5Vsjm.jpg</a>
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Husky 346XP FTW!  

No love for the 372?

<a href="http://imgur.com/u0mQkFT" target="_blank">http://i.imgur.com/u0mQkFT.jpg</a>
<a href="http://imgur.com/CH5Vsjm" target="_blank">http://i.imgur.com/CH5Vsjm.jpg</a>

Very nice.  I brought up the 372 because I didn't think the 346 was that small.  How does it compare to like my 445?
I know the XP class saws have a different number designation then the home owner class.
I consider my little 235 a small saw, but almost to small to do much more then "trimming."
I currently have three good running saws, and am rebuilding another but truth be told its probably to many to keep going.  So far so good with all mine though.  I think two is probably all any one needs unless your a logger.  One big and one small.  How big and how small would depend on your usages, but I like having a small one around, incase I want to clear trails or need to bring it any distance of the beaten path.

I am in the process of rebuilding an 026 (I think that's what it is, similar to what other suggested) and that size saw is perfect all around part time use saw that won't break your back.  Same goes for my 445.  I use my 445 almost 90% of the time, even on big stuff.  Key is keeping it sharp and knowing that sweat spot of chain bite vs. power.  IF your more then a part time/ average saw user you know what I am talking about.  I don't mind using the smaller saw myself as it doesn't kill me as fast.  I don't mind taking my time as I am only cutting wood for me myself and I.
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 8:03:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Very nice.  I brought up the 372 because I didn't think the 346 was that small.  How does it compare to like my 445?
I know the XP class saws have a different number designation then the home owner class.
I consider my little 235 a small saw, but almost to small to do much more then "trimming."
I currently have three good running saws, and am rebuilding another but truth be told its probably to many to keep going.  So far so good with all mine though.  I think two is probably all any one needs unless your a logger.  One big and one small.  How big and how small would depend on your usages, but I like having a small one around, incase I want to clear trails or need to bring it any distance of the beaten path.

I am in the process of rebuilding an 026 (I think that's what it is, similar to what other suggested) and that size saw is perfect all around part time use saw that won't break your back.  Same goes for my 445.  I use my 445 almost 90% of the time, even on big stuff.  Key is keeping it sharp and knowing that sweat spot of chain bite vs. power.  IF your more then a part time/ average saw user you know what I am talking about.  I don't mind using the smaller saw myself as it doesn't kill me as fast.  I don't mind taking my time as I am only cutting wood for me myself and I.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Husky 346XP FTW!  

No love for the 372?

The 346 has 5cc more displacement, weighs a little less, and is quite a bit stronger.  Frankly, I've never used a 50cc saw that revs like a 346.  It was also available in the Johnsered version (2153).  Makes me sad they don't make it any longer.

edit: grammar
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 8:23:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The 346 has 5cc more displacement, weighs a little less, and is quite a bit stronger.  Frankly, I've never used a 50cc saw that revs like a 346.  It was also available in the Johnsered version (2153).  Makes me sad they don't make it any longer.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Husky 346XP FTW!  

No love for the 372?

Yeah, what he said. If you ever get the chance to pick one up used, do it. It punches way above its weight for a 50 cc saw.
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 8:44:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 3:54:00 PM EDT
[#8]
This Echo CS-510 (49 cc) isn't as glamorous as a Husky or Stihl but it has been 100% trouble free for 12 years. I removed the baffles out of the muffler and the spark arresting screen and it really brought this saw to life. I cut about 10 cords of wood every year with it.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 4:14:25 PM EDT
[#9]
For people approaching old age ( or any age for that matter )
What is a pain about dealing with a saw ?

1. Many are difficult to start after they are a year or so old , this is true for new chainsaws. Older pre emissions saws may work a little better in some cases
2. Typical saw users only really use the saw a few times a year , with long periods of sitting in between.

I purchased a Oregon CS250 14" cordless battery powered saw , why ?
1. It starts every time with a squeeze of the trigger , if I'm up on a ladder or on a tree the saw is always ready when I am
2. I have had it awhile now and the 4.0ah ( amp hour ) battery will give me about 350 cuts through 4-6" wood ! On a single charge
3. It's pretty light weight , I use it more everyday
4. Quality battery is what sets it apart from the cheaply made ones at lowes and depot - battery good for 1000 charge cycles

Here is also why, over the years I have owned STIHL , Husky , and Echo ( and an older poulan ) over the past few years I have had increasingly more issues related to fuel , I have rebuilt carbs and even had to replace them costing me down time and money . I burn a ton of wood , have for years . Now I buy premium fuel and use only good mix oil from STIHL Echo and Husky but additives and alcohol attack the rubber diaphragms in the carb , fuel and crankcase impulse lines , seals on crank , ... Saws made prior to a few years ago are really susceptible to alcohol blended fuels so I have been buying premium 100% gas in a can from Echo and Stihl but the crap is like $8 per quart . I use this in my gas saw , but really dig the cordless battery option .

I'm very happy with mine , my only complaint is that it's a smaller saw only good for about 8"-9" diameter logs at the most . I talked to my oregon dealer and he said the company has a larger model on the way
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 4:28:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Hey guys the 550xp is the 50cc replacement for the 346xp. From everything I've read it is supposed to be every bit as good as the 346.

Link Posted: 2/16/2015 11:10:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 11:28:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Hey guys the 550xp is the 50cc replacement for the 346xp. From everything I've read it is supposed to be every bit as good as the 346.

View Quote

My opinion of the 550xp is that it's a fantastic saw.  Has a little more torque, and is more refined (smoother).  The autotune means no carb adjustments.  For someone who doesn't know how to adjust carbs, it's probably even a better saw, but I still prefer the 346xp's raw power / grunt, and I like the idea of being able to adjust carbs.  Also, a lot of guys get their 346s ported, and there is no other 50cc beast like a ported 346.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 12:54:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 1:53:03 PM EDT
[#14]
That's the one I have.  Doesn't have tons of power but it has enough to do small cutting and trimming jobs.  It's my favorite saw.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 3:23:16 PM EDT
[#15]
They are not cheap I have a Stihl 020T I believe the call it an MS200T now. That little saw is the best small saw I have used with the top handle design I can one hand cut with it, never fails to start in 17 years. I find myself using it all the time for brush clearing tasks instead of my 036 and 066M, I use those for dropping trees and cutting firewood, when it comes to de limbing and clearing brush the 020T is the champ. I can cut with the saw in my right hand and clear the brush out of the way with my left. If I ever wear this one out I will replace it with another if they still are making them, one of the best purchases I have made. Just my .02.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 3:36:01 PM EDT
[#16]

I have burned out 2 low end Husqvarna saws on the homestead in 10 years.  I bought a small pro grade Stihl this year and it runs like a cadillac.  It was not cheap but it will hopefully be the last chainsaw I ever buy.  

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 7:04:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 12:42:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

That Husqvarna in my pic above was made in 1983. Pretty sure they don't make them like that anymore.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have burned out 2 low end Husqvarna saws on the homestead in 10 years.  

That Husqvarna in my pic above was made in 1983. Pretty sure they don't make them like that anymore.

My brother has my dad's old Husky 61. Looks very similar to yours.  Think he got it in 1987 or so.  Still runs like a top.  The chain brake doesn't work though.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 6:26:35 PM EDT
[#19]
I have the Stihl MiniBoss with the EZ start and the toolless bar/chain adjustment. I just don't see that many trees thicker than 10 inches that I need to cut.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 7:21:15 PM EDT
[#20]
I went through this just over a year ago.  My Husky 350 (50cc) just wasn't cutting it and I needed a bigger saw.  Since I had +15 acres of woods and was planning to install a wood stove in my new home, I decided to get a pro-level saw, a saw I would have for the rest of my life.

I decided on the Stihl MS-362-CM.  This is the one that has the auto-tune feature.  It works great!

Mine has a 20" bar on it and I couldn't be more pleased!

Good luck!

Link Posted: 4/1/2015 3:24:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 6:40:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I'm up on the mountain right now using that little thing.

Not bad. For what it lacks in HP, it makes up for in comfort. I was bucking some 10-12"  oak  just to see how it did. Pretty good for a dinky saw.    I haven't even fired up the big saw yet, so that says something.

View Quote

Keep 'em sharp and the little saws work good.  Much safer when your by yourself or need to be extra careful vs. wrestling around a big saw.  

Link Posted: 4/2/2015 3:18:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I'm up on the mountain right now using that little thing.

Not bad. For what it lacks in HP, it makes up for in comfort. I was bucking some 10-12"  oak  just to see how it did. Pretty good for a dinky saw.    I haven't even fired up the big saw yet, so that says something.

View Quote

I don't like the safety chain it came with though.  I prefer real chainsaw chain....the dangerous type!!
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 5:47:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
They are not cheap I have a Stihl 020T I believe the call it an MS200T now. That little saw is the best small saw I have used with the top handle design I can one hand cut with it, never fails to start in 17 years. I find myself using it all the time for brush clearing tasks instead of my 036 and 066M, I use those for dropping trees and cutting firewood, when it comes to de limbing and clearing brush the 020T is the champ. I can cut with the saw in my right hand and clear the brush out of the way with my left. If I ever wear this one out I will replace it with another if they still are making them, one of the best purchases I have made. Just my .02.
View Quote

+1.  My small saw is an MS200T that is about five years old.  Handles like a dream and has the power of a much larger saw.  The only trouble I've had is when I forget to clean the air filter.  If that gets clogged, the saw won't run WOT.  Not cheap at nearly $700 new, but it's a keeper!

SAB
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top