Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/29/2015 3:49:08 AM EDT
Title states it pretty much, for those of you who believe in keeping bullion around for a 'rainy day' so to speak, how much do you keep on hand.

What I'm getting at is how much do you anticipate 1oz of gold or silver to be worth if it ever comes to a time / point where precious metals would default to the currency of the land?

Ex  how many loaves of bread for an ounce of silver, etc...
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 4:30:15 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't keep bullion for the reason you ask:  what would it be worth and is there any way to determine purity, etc.?

Junk silver, OTH, comes in small, easily negotiable units.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:26:35 AM EDT
[#2]
I totally thought this would be about beef or chicken.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:30:10 AM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
LOL so did I!  

Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:44:59 AM EDT
[#4]
I came here ready to read about soup...............................now Im hungry
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:51:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
LOL so did I!  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
LOL so did I!  

Me three
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 12:30:56 PM EDT
[#6]
I agree with what uncle Jack has to say... 5%-10% of your net worth in gold and silver as a hedge against inflation.

Link Posted: 1/29/2015 12:37:19 PM EDT
[#7]
I have about 2% of what my retirement account is worth in physical silver.        

Link Posted: 1/29/2015 1:51:27 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a tube of twenty 2002 Silver Eagles that I got off of Snipers Hide back in the summer of '07.  Paid $240 shipped, IIRC.

I've thought about selling them over the years, but I've managed to hang onto them.

Who knows what they'll be able to accomplish in a SHTF scenario, but they'll probably be more exchangeable in that circumstance, than a generic looking slab of silver.

Chris

Link Posted: 1/29/2015 1:58:17 PM EDT
[#9]
I don't keep much. My thought is that if/when the US goes back to silver and gold as currency, my meager collection will be worth more than 90% of people who have little more than some silver plated lead jewelry.

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king. I figure I see about 20/200 in that scenario, so I should at least get knighthood!
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 3:03:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I have a tube of twenty 2002 Silver Eagles that I got off of Snipers Hide back in the summer of '07.  Paid $240 shipped, IIRC.

I've thought about selling them over the years, but I've managed to hang onto them.

Who knows what they'll be able to accomplish in a SHTF scenario, but they'll probably be more exchangeable in that circumstance, than a generic looking slab of silver.

Chris

View Quote

Yes. If your going to have silver and gold, make sure it's clearly marked. 99.9% fine is hard to dispute with.

A chunk of metal promised to be silver or some old dimes that someone you don't know now tells you have some great value, aren't going to do as good as clearly marked coins like Eagles, Maple Leaves or even generic APMEX rounds.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 4:15:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

I didn't...  

And thought, Oh Boy, here we go again!

Link Posted: 1/29/2015 6:13:19 PM EDT
[#12]
I'll trade food for bullion if the time ever comes.   If not  I'll just eat my food and you can eat your bullion.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 6:33:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Wonder what would happen if I mixed my beef or chicken bullion with the chipotle  bullion?
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 7:51:39 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Wonder what would happen if I mixed my beef or chicken bullion with the chipotle  bullion?
View Quote
An evening stuck on the can?

Link Posted: 1/29/2015 9:39:31 PM EDT
[#15]
The way I see it, something only has value as one assigns it. For me, in a SHTF scenario, I do not see having gold or silver as worth anything. Like someone else said, I'll eat my food and you eat your precious metals. Hell, a bottle of whiskey would be better than gold in my opinion. If you honestly look at it, what is silver actually used for other than jewelry? Yeah, gold is used in electronic circuits, but gold bars won't help you there unless you have the know how/tools to manufacture those goods and the power to use it. Looks pretty, but has limited use.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 10:21:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Unless the Earth gets hit by an asteroid or some other extinction event, gold and silver will retain value because it has been doing so for 5000 years or so. It is ingrained in the psyche of 1st worlders as well as 4th worlders. Remember, almost all SHTF scenarios are short term, especially financial/currency at the macro level ones. So, while it's absolutely essential that you have some store of, well, essentials like food, water, TP, etc., the situation where those are in short supply will always be "short" term. However, if you have all your financial wealth denominated in terms of a fiat currency, when that fails, you no longer have a nest egg. Period. If, on the other hand, you have 5-10% of your financial as gold+silver, when we get to the other side of the SHTF, at least 5-10% of your former financial wealth will still be intact. If you don't, you're broke. Simple as that.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 10:51:17 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:08:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Short term shtf =
Silver eagles

Eotwawki =
22lr
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:55:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The way I see it, something only has value as one assigns it. For me, in a SHTF scenario, I do not see having gold or silver as worth anything. Like someone else said, I'll eat my food and you eat your precious metals. Hell, a bottle of whiskey would be better than gold in my opinion. If you honestly look at it, what is silver actually used for other than jewelry? Yeah, gold is used in electronic circuits, but gold bars won't help you there unless you have the know how/tools to manufacture those goods and the power to use it. Looks pretty, but has limited use.
View Quote

-------------------------------------

Actually, it is more the other way around.  

Most of the gold ever mined is still around in bullion or jewelry form.  It has been used as "money" for most of the past 5000 years and my very well be again.  

Silver is used extensively in the electronics industry, to manufacture solar panels, as an antibacterial ( even being impregnated into sheets and pillow cases in hospitals ), in water purifiers ( Katadyne for one ) and also in hi-tech reflective mirrors such as used in the space program.

There is so much more gold around than silver that you might wonder why the prices aren't reversed.

I would not trade or barter any guns, ammo or whiskey in bad times without concerns that I may later be confronted by that armed drunk looking for more of what is mine.

But yes, food and a water supply first.

YMMV,

The MULE
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 1:40:34 AM EDT
[#20]
I think it has been said plenty of times, but I'll repeat it.

Keep gold and silver bullion as a wealth preservation.  

If I'm going to trade for silver, I would much much prefer standard coinage - Eagles, Maple Leaves, etc than some generic piece of silver.  Coins do command a premium price, so you have to pay extra up front.

The key is EVERYTHING IN BALANCE.  You can't eat silver, drink silver, or burn it to keep you warm, shelter in it, use it to set a broken limb, or defend yourself with it.  But once you have those things covered, then having some bullion is not a bad idea.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 3:37:40 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Unless the Earth gets hit by an asteroid or some other extinction event, gold and silver will retain value because it has been doing so for 5000 years or so. It is ingrained in the psyche of 1st worlders as well as 4th worlders. Remember, almost all SHTF scenarios are short term, especially financial/currency at the macro level ones. So, while it's absolutely essential that you have some store of, well, essentials like food, water, TP, etc., the situation where those are in short supply will always be "short" term. However, if you have all your financial wealth denominated in terms of a fiat currency, when that fails, you no longer have a nest egg. Period. If, on the other hand, you have 5-10% of your financial as gold+silver, when we get to the other side of the SHTF, at least 5-10% of your former financial wealth will still be intact. If you don't, you're broke. Simple as that.
View Quote

Well said sir.

This is the most succinct explanation I've seen yet.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 6:04:57 AM EDT
[#22]
I see no reason for any in large amounts.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 7:21:32 AM EDT
[#23]
From my research, Silver has been used through out history for its antibacterial properties.  It has been known to kill bacteria, algae, and fungi.  People would put a silver coin in the milk and water to make it last longer and keep them from getting sick. I don't know if this actually worked but the cost of a bar of pure silver is pretty low if it indeed does work.  If nothing else you can always sell it or barter it later if needed. If a $20 bar of silver keeps you from getting sick and shitting like a goose it's worth it, IMO.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 7:32:02 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

View Quote

It would probably taste like blackened redfish.

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 12:10:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That stuff is an awesome survival prep and I use the shit out of it for cooking, just as a seasoning. I keep cilantro, onion and garlic on hand in addition to the chicken and beef. I even once mixed a crushed chicken bullion cube with flour to make the coating for chicken fried steak at deer camp.

Just saying I find it more useful than gold or silver right now.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top