Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/27/2015 12:25:32 AM EDT
Stabil regular or marine?
PRI-G?

Other?

As always many thanks to the Arfcom Survival Forum brain trust.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 12:30:14 AM EDT
[#1]
None.  Mineral spirits.  PRI-G if I felt the need to use an officially licensed product.

EXPY will be along shortly to insult you, fear not.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 12:33:49 AM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

None.  Mineral spirits.  PRI-G if I felt the need to use an officially licensed product.

EXPY will be along shortly to insult you, fear not.
View Quote

Lol

None would've been a good poll option.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 12:47:38 AM EDT
[#3]
The fact that some generator manufacturers recommend using a fuel stabilizer - or include a small bottle of it in the generator shipping box - should tell you something.

There aren't a lot of fuel additives on the market that claim to be stabilizers.

IMO, the few that do are worthwhile.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 8:53:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Regular Stabil worked fine until we couldn't get anything but ethanol fuel here.

Marine Stabil has been working fine in the ethanol stuff, using an ounce per 5 gallon can, the gas has stayed good for over 12 months, haven't tested longer.

The ethanol fuel, if left untreated, seems to suck moisture out of the air.

I'm in Maine, different climates may find other treatments work better.

YMMV!!

Regards, Eric
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 8:59:00 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

View Quote

Ethanol and other alchohols are hygroscopic, and will absorb moisture from the air. E.g., HEET gas line deicer is composed primarily of isopropanol or methanol, depending on which version you get. They work by absorbing moisture that's made its way into your fuel system.

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:52:38 AM EDT
[#6]
I marked other, my favorite fuel stabilizer for long term storage is proper storage (sealed, pressure containing vessel that won't leak and doesn't have to be opened frequently).
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 12:17:00 PM EDT
[#7]
OMG, talk abt holding cheese in front of a rat...

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 12:18:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Or a can of Stabil in front of a Sheeple...  
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 12:32:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Sta Bil is all I have used, so that's how I voted.  I can actually find it on the store shelves, so that helps.

I've used it for a few years to store gasoline, usually for a year, and have had no problems.  Doesn't prove anything, but that's my experience.

I use the common five gallon plastic cans, which are kept in my barn.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 12:32:27 PM EDT
[#10]
I did a bit of research on this....

I do not put anything in the gas but I do have a bottle of Pri-G to use as a gas 'Restorer' if a long term situation occurs where the fuel sits for years.

BTW- I called Pri-G and was told the shelf life of an unopened bottle of Pri-G is indefinite. Opened - worsted case 1 yr.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 2:06:13 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I marked other, my favorite fuel stabilizer for long term storage is proper storage (sealed, pressure containing vessel that won't leak and doesn't have to be opened frequently).
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 2:11:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Star Tron

link
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 2:27:30 PM EDT
[#13]
None.  Use AvGas in small engines, and forget about stabilizers.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 2:29:32 PM EDT
[#14]
LOL. This is great. I am not disappoint.

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 3:35:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I do not put anything in the gas but I do have a bottle of Pri-G to use as a gas 'Restorer' if a long term situation occurs where the fuel sits for years.

BTW- I called Pri-G and was told the shelf life of an unopened bottle of Pri-G is indefinite. Opened - worsted case 1 yr.
View Quote

I'm confused...

How can a few capfuls of mineral spirits 'restore' important volatile fuel fractions lost from fuel that has sat in a leaky fuel can for years?

Also, how does the 'mineral spirits' ---that are what the bulk of Pri-G is...  go bad, even if the bottle were opened and reclosed????

Would you post a link to your research?

ETA, I've had opened 1 gallon cans of mineral spirits sitting on the shelf for 10+ years and it's just fine!  

Cleaning the tranny I'm rebuilding for the Bug Out Forklift with it right now...  

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 4:32:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Can anyone post a link to or a copy of the current MSDS for Pri-G?  The only one I could find was form 1998 and looked like a bad photocopy.  You would think the manufacturer would have this linked on their product website.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 5:52:08 PM EDT
[#17]
I really don't get too worked up about this (frequent) topic.

My stored gas is for my generator, which is for my water well.  I don't plan to maintain a typical American road warrior life style on stored fuel.

If the supply is disrupted long term, I'll use what I have as wisely as I can, and when it's gone, it's gone.

Premium gas is the best bet for the small engines IMO, regardless of what you add, if anything.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 7:21:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Can anyone post a link to or a copy of the current MSDS for Pri-G?  The only one I could find was form 1998 and looked like a bad photocopy.  You would think the manufacturer would have this linked on their product website.
View Quote

I'd think it's a great marketing strategy to hide the MSDS as best it could be...

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 8:29:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Tag
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 8:46:14 PM EDT
[#20]
I will say that I have far fewer problems cranking up generators when I use Stabil Marine than when I didn't. Some of the gennys I have don't have a good fuel shutoff so they surge, start to die, pull enough vacuum to suck fuel thru the valve, then surge some more, start to die, repeat. So, on those cheapo gennys, I can't really drain the carb effectively unless I yank the fuel line or run the tank dry. I'm a little lazy in that I'd rather use a stabilizer and keep gas in the genny so that all I have to do is start it than have to go find gas, fill it up, pull a few times until gas starts flowing again, etc., especially if I'm outside freezing my a$$ off in the dark because the power went out at 2am.

Just my $0.02.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 8:48:42 PM EDT
[#21]
I used to use Sta bil, but switched to Sea Foam. It's great.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:52:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I used to use Sta bil, but switched to Sea Foam. It's great.
View Quote

Came to post this.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:11:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Regular Stabil worked fine until we couldn't get anything but ethanol fuel here.

Marine Stabil has been working fine in the ethanol stuff, using an ounce per 5 gallon can, the gas has stayed good for over 12 months, haven't tested longer.

YMMV!!

Regards, Eric
View Quote

LAst bottle of Stabil I bought said it worked with Ethanol gas also
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:42:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The fact that some generator manufacturers recommend using a fuel stabilizer - or include a small bottle of it in the generator shipping box - should tell you something.

There aren't a lot of fuel additives on the market that claim to be stabilizers.

View Quote

Yep, they get paid to do it.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:23:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's pretty hard to get paid when you're not recommending any specific brand...

While we've got the tinfoil on - Do they also get paid to recommend oil changes at specific intervals?

Spark plugs?
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 4:43:02 AM EDT
[#26]
I can tell you what I did with my diesel, but I do not store much gas at all, only diesel.

Back in 1996 or 97, I can't remember, I bought 3,500 gallons of off road diesel for my gen set. It was around $0.63 or $0.68 a gallon then, again I can't remember.

I had several large tanks, but I also had eight 55 gallon drums that I filled up as well. In four of them I treated with PRI-D and four I did nothing with.

All the tanks were filled to where very very little air space was left in them at all, and all bungs and plugs were removed and cleaned, and sealed. The main bung I sealed with a urethane caulk as I didn't trust that cheesy rubber gasket to hold any serious length of time.

Long story short, in 2013 I opened up the drums that were 100% diesel and NO additives at all, and all four drums, the fuel was in perfect shape and the pink was the exact same color as fuel a bought earlier that day to compare it to. It ran in the gen set for several hours with no trouble at all, before I shut it down.

Again, this is diesel and not gasoline.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 6:02:56 AM EDT
[#27]
PRI links

FAQs

PRI G fuel stability info

PRI G MSDS

Other reading on amines

More light reading on fuel additives

More reading

While I am NOT a chemist, from the links above, there does seem to be something to PRI's claims.  From their MSDS, it does appear that something similar to mineral spirits is a fairly large percentage of the content.  However, there are also other chemicals in PRI G as well that do appear to be commonly known to be effective at slowing fuel oxidization.  So, if you are using PRI G, you are clearly not JUST putting mineral spirits in your fuel as some here love to claim.  It seems quite possible, from the above links, that some of the chemicals in PRI G could well be effective at slowing the deterioration rate of gasoline.

Fuel makers already add a number of chemicals to our fuels such as various detergents and such.  And, fuel manufacturers have to find a balance of the right blend of additives to run our vehicles properly and at the same time, minimize cost to the fuel producer.  So, adding additional chemicals COULD enhance the chemicals already in our fuel.  Sounds like PRI has done research.  I doubt that they just dump mineral spirits in a bottle and sell it unsuspecting idiots.  From the links above, there does appear to be something to their claims but it would probably take a chemist to make sense of it all....and then us normal people probably still would not understand it!

Regardless, the number 1 way to keep your fuel fresh is to keep it well sealed.  

Link Posted: 1/28/2015 9:12:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I'm confused...

Also, how does the 'mineral spirits' ---that are what the bulk of Pri-G is...  go bad, even if the bottle were opened and reclosed????

Humm...

Yes, I looked at the MSDS years ago...

Maybe, MAYBE ->  the Mineral Spirits are only a CARRIER for the other, more effective components of the product. You are making the ASSUMPTION that because it is the primary component is has the most value / effect.

I'm not a Chemist but I have worked with guys that have PHD's in Chemistry on several different projects and the one thing I can tell you is it is not as simple as you are making out....

NO - I will not spend time to placate you. Google for yourself.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

blah, blah, blah

I'm confused...

Humm...

Maybe, MAYBE ->  the Mineral Spirits are only a CARRIER for the other, more effective components of the product. You are making the ASSUMPTION that because it is the primary component is has the most value / effect.

I'm not a Chemist but I have worked with guys that have PHD's in Chemistry on several different projects and the one thing I can tell you is it is not as simple as you are making out....

Link Posted: 1/28/2015 10:12:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
While I am NOT a chemist, from the links above, there does seem to be something to PRI's claims.  From their MSDS, it does appear that something similar to mineral spirits is a fairly large percentage of the content.  However, there are also other chemicals in PRI G as well that do appear to be commonly known to be effective at slowing fuel oxidization.  So, if you are using PRI G, you are clearly not JUST putting mineral spirits in your fuel as some here love to claim.  It seems quite possible, from the above links, that some of the chemicals in PRI G could well be effective at slowing the deterioration rate of gasoline.
View Quote

PRI-G is primarily ShellSol.
http://www.shell.com/global/products-services/solutions-for-businesses/chemicals/products/solvents/hydrocarbon-solvents/aromatic-solvents.html

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 10:15:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Seafoam
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 10:26:19 PM EDT
[#31]
I just burned some 2 year old regular with ethanol in my truck. It worked perfectly fine. Stored in jerry cans with Stabil.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 10:33:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Startron.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 10:39:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.shell.com/global/products-services/solutions-for-businesses/chemicals/products/solvents/hydrocarbon-solvents/aromatic-solvents.html

ar-jedi

So... can you dummy that down for guys like me? Does it work better because of this or not?
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 11:14:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Star Tron

link
View Quote

I have good luck with this
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 12:32:10 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

So... can you dummy that down for guys like me? Does it work better because of this or not?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ar-jedi

i have no idea whatsoever.

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 4:00:01 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

ar-jedi

What about the other components?  Shellsol might be the main component but there are others as well.  

From endless DRY reading in some of the links I posted above, it does appear to me that some of the components in PRI G are useful as fuel preservatives.  Now, I have no clue what ratio you would need to use of the various chemicals in order for them to be effective so I have no idea if PRI G, when used as directed, contains enough chemicals to actually do what it claims.  But, it does appear that PRI has researched their formulation aside from just selling mineral spirits to idiots as some here have postulated.  

Link Posted: 1/29/2015 4:02:06 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

blah, blah, blah

I'm confused...

Humm...

Maybe he needs to work on his critical thinking skills.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 3:02:13 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

ar-jedi
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ar-jedi

ar-jedi

This made me laugh out loud.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 7:07:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

ar-jedi
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ar-jedi

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 1/29/2015 7:07:47 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

What about the other components?  Shellsol might be the main component but there are others as well.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ar-jedi

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1141229_.html

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 9:07:52 PM EDT
[#41]
NONE.
Stopped using stabilizer 5 years ago..

No issues since.

Motorcycles sit all winter with  straight gasoline , and start right up.

Chainsaws all start right  up after sitting several months with mixed gas.

Generators  usually get  test run  3 or 4 times per  year, and always start right up.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:03:37 PM EDT
[#42]
might be more info in fuel can oracle too
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:11:55 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
NONE. Stopped using stabilizer 5 years ago..
No issues since.
Motorcycles sit all winter with  straight gasoline , and start right up.
Chainsaws all start right  up after sitting several months with mixed gas.
Generators  usually get  test run  3 or 4 times per  year, and always start right up.
View Quote

They all start right up until they don't
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:16:46 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

YMMV!!

Regards, Eric
View Quote

I had not heard that before, that stabil doesn't preserve ethanol containing fuel.  And how can it suck moisture out of the air if your containers are sealed?
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:34:47 PM EDT
[#45]
I like Stabil.  My son likes Seafoam.

I like Seafoam too, but I use it as an additive more than a long-term stabilizer.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:41:09 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Star Tron

link
View Quote

This x100
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 12:01:03 PM EDT
[#47]
The members of this forum have beat this dead horse to death...and then some -->Bob is the Oil Guy
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top