Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/25/2015 3:33:34 PM EDT
A couple of weeks ago, the power went out here in CT. It was a cold night, about 12 degrees outside. I figured, no problem, I ran my generators about 4 months ago. I'll just fire one up, plug it in and be good. Well generator 1 would not start for anything, not even with starting fluid. Ok, pull out generator 2. Got it running, but it wasn't great. Power came back on about 6 hours later and put both back in the garage for a warmer day, to figure out what's up.

Fast forward to today, in preparation for the snowstorm forcast for CT, I pulled apart the carb on generator 1. It was full of little globs of gas and water. It never would have started on that cold night no matter what it tried. Cleaned it up, put in some fresh gas, and its now purring away in the driveway. Generator 2, the carb was kind of gunked up, but with old, varnished, gas. This one was pretty much brand new and I never really ran it. In fact I had it in the box in my garage for about 2 years before I put together this past fall and got it running. Cleaned it up and it too is running great.

Anyway, the old adage "two is one, one is none", came true again. With the gas being used today, a stabilizer is a must, as is regular maintenance, like changing the oil and running them more than 2-3 times a year. I am now going to run them once a month, and am thinking about getting the non-ethanol gas for use in the generators.

Well just thought I would share...

Link Posted: 1/25/2015 4:19:52 PM EDT
[#1]
If you leave fuel in the tank, which you really shouldn't do, you need to add a fuel cutoff.

Shut the generator off by shutting off the fuel and letting carb run dry.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 4:37:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Funny this would come up today. One of mine is still running as I type. One of the big ones fired up immediately (propane powered) and the other gas powered one required quite a few pulls. The one little cheapo HF unit cranked up eventually, the other one wouldn't start at all. I'd been lax about running them every month and it was a workout to get them all started. The propane genny was easy to cut off at the tank. Sometimes the fuel shut-off doesn't keep fuel from going in with the motor running - this is especially true of the little Harbor Freight ones. So, you get what you get. I also keep some stuff called "Mechanic in a Bottle" around for when motors won't start. A dose of that and they usually come around.

Run them buggers up now and again or pay the price.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 4:51:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you leave fuel in the tank, which you really shouldn't do, you need to add a fuel cutoff.

Shut the generator off by shutting off the fuel and letting carb run dry.
View Quote

Yep. This is usually my SOP, but for whatever reason, I forgot to, and paid the price.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 5:32:21 PM EDT
[#4]
I have 3 generators but only 2 get tested often

ive had a bike with what looked like gelled rice in the bowl
not sure if it was the fuel that dried up, or some additive in it but what a mess it was to clean out

but thats why I always run the gen with fuel off and let it die from fuel starvation, plus I keep seafoam
or stabil in the tanks to help preserve the fuel in the tank

figure if the bowl is run dry, less chance of anything drying up and clogging the jets

also keep a spare spark plug, and cheapo ratchet and socket for each one to
making changing plugs really fast in an emergency if they get fouled

Link Posted: 1/25/2015 5:51:17 PM EDT
[#5]
yep, checked mine out today, got some extra gas too.

looks like its gonna be a doozy!
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 6:01:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I have 3 generators but only 2 get tested often

ive had a bike with what looked like gelled rice in the bowl
not sure if it was the fuel that dried up, or some additive in it but what a mess it was to clean out

but thats why I always run the gen with fuel off and let it die from fuel starvation, plus I keep seafoam
or stabil in the tanks to help preserve the fuel in the tank

figure if the bowl is run dry, less chance of anything drying up and clogging the jets

also keep a spare spark plug, and cheapo ratchet and socket for each one to
making changing plugs really fast in an emergency if they get fouled

View Quote

The GOOD NEWS is you are able to pull the carb apart and clean it.  

How many Sheeple Preppers could begin to do that?

Link Posted: 1/25/2015 6:16:19 PM EDT
[#7]
I recently learned this lesson.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 3:57:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Run them buggers up now and again or pay the price.
View Quote

This works great. I run my engines once a month for at least 15 minutes. My big Kubota mower doesn't like cold weather and takes a little longer. Especially after sitting for 35 or so days. My weed eater cranks right up.

One day I need to buy a generator. That will probably occur the week after I needed it.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 5:16:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Ran it today.   Thanks for the reminder.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 10:05:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Managed to get the cantankerous Harbor Freight unit running. It seems to be the problem child of the two twins. This one is always harder to start and the cheap pot metal fuel cutoff switch broke off partly. However, use of pliers to turn the fuel on and after a cap full of that Mechanic in a Bottle stuff, it fired up and ran. They're good for powering battery chargers and not much else (800W on a good day).

Just for grins I checked the voltages my generators were putting out. The lowest one, under load, was still putting out 108V. The highest, a different one, with no load was like 130V. I'm guessing the motor was running a little fast. I didn't have the VibraTach with me so I couldn't check the frequency output (and my free Harbor Freight multimeter doesn't measure frequency - but it was free).
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 10:23:17 PM EDT
[#11]

i am chagrined to admit ...

on sunday, a mere 36 hours before The Big Storm, my neighbor texted me and asked if i could help diagnose his snowblower -- it wouldn't start.  he said he was going to run out and drop the kids somewhere and when he got back we could delve into it.  so while i was waiting for him to get back, i started my snowblower.  one pull, came right to life, and all was well.  

i figured i ought to start the little EU2000i as well, you know, *just in case*.  i hadn't run it in about 3-4 months.  August, probably.  or was it July?  anyway...

FML.

it would only run with the choke on, a sure sign of a clogged main jet.  
i pulled the carb apart, blew it clean, and after 30 minutes it too was purring along.

but i tell you, if my neighbor hadn't had a problem, i would have bet my house deed that the little EU2000i would have started on the second pull.

ETA

EU2000i owners, come get this, it was useful to me:
http://wopr.losdos.dyndns.org/gallery2/d/58410-1/honda-EU2000i-carb-rebuild.pdf

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 1/26/2015 11:42:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the link on the rebuild!

Quoted:

on sunday, a mere 36 hours before The Big Storm, my neighbor texted me and asked if i could help diagnose his snowblower -- it wouldn't start.  he said he was going to run out and drop the kids somewhere and when he got back we could delve into it.  so while i was waiting for him to get back, i started my snowblower.  one pull, came right to life, and all was well.  

i figured i ought to start the little EU2000i as well, you know, *just in case*.  i hadn't run it in about 3-4 months.  August, probably.  or was it July?  anyway...

FML.

i pulled the carb apart, blew it clean, and after 30 minutes it too was purring along.

but i tell you, if my neighbor hadn't had a problem, i would have bet my house deed that the little EU2000i would have started on the second pull.

ETA

ar-jedi

http://wopr.losdos.dyndns.org/gallery2/d/58403-2/IMG_4098.JPG

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/26/2015 11:55:57 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a calendar reminder set to reoccur monthly for running my generators. I ran mine Saturday for 10 mins with a load.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:03:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

here is that still-current thread over on RV.net, it is chock full of info --> http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/22602186.cfm
i like having the PDF handy though because it doesn't depend on the internet working...

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:22:16 AM EDT
[#15]
I am religious about running and starting mine.  89 octane plus marine stable.  This is what I tell others but I still ended up cleaning the carb out on a friends last night!
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 12:01:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Honestly, I run mine every six months unless it's needed. I haven't had an issue in the past 7 years, no reason to think otherwise. Keep the oil changed regularly, don't store fuel in the generator.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 5:16:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

FML.

ETA

ar-jedi

View Quote

Hey ar-jedi, I did the same thing with my 4 wheeler. It sat for better than a year and when I started it, it ran about like you gen set did, spitting and sputtering. It was so bad it couldn't pull a sick whore off a piss pot.

I've said this before, but I dumped some SEA FOAM in the fuel tank and after 10 or 15 minutes of running it started to smooth out, and it was running like new. Try SEA FOAM next time before you tear down the carb.

http://seafoamsales.com/

Link Posted: 1/28/2015 8:13:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Hey ar-jedi, I did the same thing with my 4 wheeler. It sat for better than a year and when I started it, it ran about like you gen set did, spitting and sputtering. It was so bad it couldn't pull a sick whore off a piss pot.

I've said this before, but I dumped some SEA FOAM in the fuel tank and after 10 or 15 minutes of running it started to smooth out, and it was running like new. Try SEA FOAM next time before you tear down the carb.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

FML.

ETA

ar-jedi

Sefoam won't unclog a jet and honestly for the most part it's just snake oil.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 8:48:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FML.

ETA

ar-jedi

It won't unclog a jet but I've seen it work so it is most definitely not snakeoil. I don't care what is in it.  It fixed our 4 wheeler too.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 11:54:17 AM EDT
[#20]
We have such a short storm season here, that my gennies go to long between function checks. I'll run them mid summer, and once right before our fall rain. I cycle all of my fuel every year, and always add a fuel stable to all of it. Using premium fuel and stable, so far I've had good luck. I also keep a mini rebuild kit for them. My home power generators are Honda EU7000is and EU2000is. The rest of my generators are used for work. I think I'm up to six generators right now with half of them being Hondas.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 2:52:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FML.

ETA

ar-jedi

Seafoam does have some benefits but it will not fix a mechanical problem.  There is isopropyl alcohol, naptha, and pale oil in Seafoam.  I imagine that you could mix your own "Seafoam" using IsoHeet, Coleman fuel, and Marvel Mystery Oil for a lot cheaper than Seafoam costs.  There are a few recipes online.  

The primary cleaning action with Seafoam is the alcohol but the naptha also has plenty of cleaning benefits as well.  

Seafoam and other carb cleaning products only work on small amounts of carb clogs.  If you have a badly clogged carb, it won't do shit.  The reason is, Seafoam will dissolve gunk in the carb but after it dissolves it, there is only one place for it to go and that's through the jets.  Carb jets are very small so it doesn't take much to clog a carb jet.  

Basically, for an engine that is running poorly, it would be worth trying Seafoam or similar carb cleaners.  It might help and it might not...but it's probably worth trying before tearing the carb apart.  On the other hand, if the engine flat out won't run at all, then a mechanical teardown and chemical and mechanical cleaning is the only thing that will clean it up.  Sometimes in badly clogged carbs, the only option is replacement because I've seen some carbs that no amount of cleaning would return them to service.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 7:06:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Seafoam does have some benefits but it will not fix a mechanical problem.  There is isopropyl alcohol, naptha, and pale oil in Seafoam.  I imagine that you could mix your own "Seafoam" using IsoHeet, Coleman fuel, and Marvel Mystery Oil for a lot cheaper than Seafoam costs.  There are a few recipes online.  

The primary cleaning action with Seafoam is the alcohol but the naptha also has plenty of cleaning benefits as well.  

Seafoam and other carb cleaning products only work on small amounts of carb clogs.  If you have a badly clogged carb, it won't do shit.  The reason is, Seafoam will dissolve gunk in the carb but after it dissolves it, there is only one place for it to go and that's through the jets.  Carb jets are very small so it doesn't take much to clog a carb jet.  

Basically, for an engine that is running poorly, it would be worth trying Seafoam or similar carb cleaners.  It might help and it might not...but it's probably worth trying before tearing the carb apart.  On the other hand, if the engine flat out won't run at all, then a mechanical teardown and chemical and mechanical cleaning is the only thing that will clean it up.  Sometimes in badly clogged carbs, the only option is replacement because I've seen some carbs that no amount of cleaning would return them to service.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FML.

ETA

ar-jedi

Good post. Very fair.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 7:10:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Tested mine this weekend. Last generator I neglected and  it messed up.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 9:37:03 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Good post. Very fair.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Originally Posted By ColtRifle
Seafoam won't unclog a jet and honestly for the most part it's just snake oil.

Good post. Very fair.
My experience has been that Seafoam will help an engine that has sat for a while and is running rough.  Our little Cub Cadet super garden tractor only gets run a few times a year.  I'll hit it with Seafoam in the early winter and it immediately smooths out.  It helps trap moisture and does a pretty good job on moderate varnish.  Once the carb is gummed it's over, though and time for a rebuild.  I've never used it as a stabilizer because there are better dedicated products out there for that.  What I should do is put a fuel cutoff on the stinking thing so I can run the carb dry.  

Link Posted: 1/29/2015 1:14:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Ran my Honda yesterday (EB3000C) ran like a top. I was going to replace the O ring on the fuel sediment cup but, Honda wants almost $5.00 for 1
can body cross reference a O ring  (29mm X2.4 mm)
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 4:26:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FML.

ETA

ar-jedi

Too much common sense being applied for the SF...  

Link Posted: 1/29/2015 4:27:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Ran my Honda yesterday (EB3000C) ran like a top. I was going to replace the O ring on the fuel sediment cup but, Honda wants almost $5.00 for 1
can body cross reference a O ring  (29mm X2.4 mm)
View Quote

Better check the chemical compatibility of your new O-ring to gasoline...  

Vs Honda's O-ring's material....

Link Posted: 1/29/2015 4:41:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Yeah, that's why i was asking about a cross refference
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 6:57:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Thanks OP for the reminder. I have a reminder on my phone calendar but always put it off. I ended up trying to start my gene after sitting for bout 6 months. After about a dozen pulls I let it sit for 10 minutes in the sun to warm it up a little bit, two more pulls and it finally fired up. I will run it every month now since "you never know" when you're going to need it.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 9:08:45 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

FML.

ETA

ar-jedi

Saved that with the shop manual PDF thats been linked before.  Thank you!
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 9:09:41 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I have a calendar reminder set to reoccur monthly for running my generators. I ran mine Saturday for 10 mins with a load.
View Quote

Same.  Makes it easy to keep up with when you get an automatic reminder.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 11:55:10 AM EDT
[#32]
I went out to the shed and cranked mine, battery was dead. Pulled it once and cranked. I started looking for the battery/battery tender. looking for the heater for loading it. then I got a headache, felt drunk. I then remembered the genny was running in the shed. I was sick for 1-2 hours.

I knew better but thought I was okay with the door open.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 6:12:10 PM EDT
[#33]
I went to test out the company generators the other day, after reading this thread...

One had a dead battery, the disconnect was left on and it was still tough to start after charging the battery.  It was at 10.3 volts today, so it got a new battery.

Second generator fired right up.

Ran both for 20 minutes with two space heaters for a load.  We've been fighting gummed up carbs, even with all sorts of fancy fuel treatments ( ) so I think we are converting them all the propane this coming year
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 9:43:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Just for grins I checked the voltages my generators were putting out. The lowest one, under load, was still putting out 108V. The highest, a different one, with no load was like 130V. I'm guessing the motor was running a little fast.
View Quote

For a non-inverter model without any load connected, 130V isn't unusual at all.

Few generators have perfect voltage regulation from zero to full rated output - It'll vary somewhat with load.

Typically, the manufacturer shoots for 120 volts at around half rated load, which results in a higher voltage with no load connected.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 11:26:59 PM EDT
[#35]
My 15 yr old Home Depot generator does not have a kill switch.  To kill it you shut off the fuel and run the carb dry.  I pulled it out after sitting 3 years and added some fresh gas and fired it right up.

It is stored in the garage so it never sees rain.

Link Posted: 1/31/2015 12:08:11 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

FML.

ETA

ar-jedi

View Quote

Had the carb bowl been drained before storage?
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 1:44:52 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
FML.

i don't really "store" the generator.  for the past 10 years of ownership i have run it every 3-4 months for 10 minutes or so, and make sure it makes power.  
the gas in the tank is treated with Stabil or Pri-G, in fact all my purchased gas is treated that way.  before the above saga, no issues whatsoever.  
i think that 3-4 months was actually 6-9 months this time.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 1/31/2015 11:42:07 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
My 15 yr old Home Depot generator does not have a kill switch.  To kill it you shut off the fuel and run the carb dry.  I pulled it out after sitting 3 years and added some fresh gas and fired it right up.

View Quote

Just pull the plug wire

Link Posted: 1/31/2015 12:24:53 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Just pull the plug wire

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just pull the plug wire

I believe the design is to run the carb dry  
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 3:52:12 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just pull the plug wire

Well It sure would suck to run the carb dry every time you need to refill it in a  long power outage
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 11:41:12 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

FML.

ETA

ar-jedi

View Quote

Dude, I have two of those.

Do you think it was normal use that clogged the main jet?
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 12:30:30 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

FML.

ETA

ar-jedi

Doesn't take much grit to clog a carb.  And, the smaller the engine, the smaller the carbs and jets are....so the easier they clog up.  

Carbs are far more prone to fuel related issues than fuel injection because of the float bowl.  Float bowls need to be vented to the atmosphere by design (to allow them to work).  It's not a lot of venting area but still some and that means that fuel can deteriorate due to the relative ease by which air can contact the fuel.  Also, float bowls will normally store gunk and any water in the fuel due to how they work.  

When in doubt, depending on the engine, you can usually just drop the bowl and clean it out and also spray carb cleaner up the jets followed by compressed air.  It will often resolve minor issues quickly that way.  

I sure wish small engines used fuel injection.  Fuel injection system are SO much less prone to issues.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top