Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/19/2015 11:55:21 PM EDT
I have always  wanted to know exactly what the fur on a winter coat hood does to help reduce heat loss.  Lots of Internet forums are full of conjecture and theories but they all seem weak.  I have finally  located a good scientific explanation of why the fur is a thermal advantage.  I invite you to read the following paper.

Effect of ancient Inuit fur parka ruffs on facial heat transfer

From the paper:

ABSTRACT: The traditional clothing system developed and used by the Inuit is the most effective cold weather clothing developed to date. One of the key elements used by the Inuit is a fur ruff attached to the hood, hem, and cuffs of their parkas. This paper determines why the fur ruff is so critical to the effectiveness of cold-weather clothing, especially in protecting the face, without impeding movement or view, so essential to the Inuit hunter. To quantify the effectiveness of this clothing, heat transfer was measured on a model placed in a subsonic wind tunnel. The wind velocity and angle to the wind were varied. A boundary layer forms on the face, and heat transfer was measured across that layer using thermocouples. Different fur ruff geometries were examined to determine which was most efficient. The experimental results were combined with data collected using ethno-historical methods since 1970 by 2 of the authors. The traditional headgear proved to be the most efficient. The lowest heat transfer was found for the sunburst fur ruff geometry at different angles of attack and wind speeds. This unique combination of scientific and traditional Aboriginal knowledge provides a holistic perspective on new insights into the effectiveness of cold-weather clothing systems.

TL/DR : the fur disrupts smooth air currents and forms an invisible pillow of air between the face and the environment.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 12:17:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Great post.  And timely in my case.

I am Canadian.  I grew up in Canada and all the parkas I had included the traditional fur (or faux fur) trim around the hood opening.

For me there is no doubt that the fur improved performance in terms of wind resistance and corresponding heat loss.

Living in Colorado for quite a while I haven't generally needed near the kind of clothing I needed back home to protect against the elements.   It definitely gets cold here but to suggest it gets "Canada cold" is disingenuous/idiotic.  Regardless, I recently wanted to upgrade my cold weather parka.  Usually basic jackets would do but I wanted something for actual cold.  The fur trim was a big deal for me based on personal experience but I ended up going with something without that.  I made my decision on other criteria but the fur trim definitely weighed in.  There is no doubt in my mind that fur or faux fur trim makes a difference.

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 12:27:05 AM EDT
[#2]

Very interesting.  Thanks for posting.

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 2:32:50 AM EDT
[#3]
It absolutely has a function and it works. It keeps the wind off the face and retains some of the warm exhaled breath to warm the face and to mix with the fresh air being inhaled.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 2:36:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Certain species of fur, like wolf, work best because they do not trap moisture and freeze.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 2:42:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Funny, I was wondering about this yesterday.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 3:03:31 AM EDT
[#6]
I had to put some gloves on a few times this winter.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 3:16:08 AM EDT
[#7]
This is plainly obvious to anyone who has worn a proper parka in nasty weather, even before you factor in the filtering of blowing snow.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 10:39:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks OP. Very interesting.

I have always felt warmer with the fur trimmed coat. Also, I swear my rabbit hat keeps me warmer than a face mask. I guess there is actual data to back this up!
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 11:36:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Interesting, thanks for posting OP. I was just thinking about fur collars and effectiveness a few days ago, when remembering an old coat I used to have that had one.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 3:39:34 PM EDT
[#10]

So I can just wrap my Dachshund around my face when I'm out in the elements?

Claymore is not going to be happy about this...
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 5:52:55 PM EDT
[#11]
yeah, keeps your face from freezing.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 12:01:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Interesting...
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 12:32:58 PM EDT
[#13]
I have long held the belief that in extreme weather conditions natural furs/ fibers and hide leather can out perform synthetics.

I have supplemented my cold weather gear with wool sweaters in the last few years and am still shocked how much better they are. Just a few weeks ago it dipped into the teens while working outside. All I had was a light under layer and a quality wool sweater and was just fine. Several friends had their heavy Carhart jackets and were cold.

(I like my Carhatt jacket too)

Link Posted: 1/21/2015 12:51:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Yeah, it helps. (see state of posting), also differant furs have diffent properties. wolverine fur has some sort of texture that wont let frost build up on it so you wont get frosty vision on extended days. The mittens I use for extreme cold days have beaver pelt on the back, you can put it up against your face to keep it nice and toasty.  
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 10:36:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for the post OP.  Interesting stuff.

I know hunters and trappers around here sell coyote pelts for this type of application.  Is our local fur used domestically, or only overseas?
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 11:14:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the post OP.  Interesting stuff.

I know hunters and trappers around here sell coyote pelts for this type of application.  Is our local fur used domestically, or only overseas?
View Quote

A lot of fur is sold oversees because the prices they can get are higher. However what normally happens for most trappers is they sell their furs to a fur buyer. They prepare them by fleshing, stretching and drying them. Certain species are dried fur out and some are dried fur in. Fur handling is becoming a lost art for many areas.

The big buyers then grade each fur and sell them in large auctions. The local trapper can easily send his furs in at the end of the season and then recieve a check.

Fur has a big fluctuation in price based on quality and how well it was "put up" or prepared. I've seen $50 beaver skins reduced to $5 because of poor handling.
Certain regions bring higher prices. Southern fur is inferior because our winters don't get that cold. While arctic regions may have some of the highest quality of fur in the world.

You will also see a big difference in coloration and that can effect price too.

I do commercial trapping and Unfortunately our state won't allow us to sell the hides for most of the year. But I do save some for personal use. ;-)
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 11:57:35 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
science
science
science
science
science

TL/DR : the fur disrupts smooth air currents and forms an invisible pillow of air between the face and the environment.
View Quote

That's what I saw.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 12:08:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Badass.

Off to Amazon to research fur lined jackets and hoods.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 2:43:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/23/2015 5:50:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 10:43:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Preach it brother!
(I have fur sitting up at NAFA and prices are not looking to be  promising)
Oh well, I lose less money trapping than any of my other hobbies!
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 11:57:13 PM EDT
[#22]

Link Posted: 1/24/2015 3:11:59 AM EDT
[#23]
Homemade fur parka and outerwear is a hell of a lot better than any store bought.

Rabbit lined beaver hat and mittens are very very warm.

Mukluks lined with rabbit and grass are the same.

Rate the fur for ruffs this way

Wolverine fur is hollow and will not ice up.

Wolf comes a very close second.

Also hoods on parkas are deep with a flap/ruff you can fold out for more protection.

Wish i could afford a squirrel parka for everybody in the family.

Bou are easy to get along with wolf/wolverine.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 8:30:48 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Preach it brother!
View Quote

You should get into nuisance trapping. Where people pay you to trap. It's the fastest growing division for us. I'm setting traps Monday in the shadow of 20 story high rise for coyotes. You don't even want to know what they are paying for two weeks of trapping.
But I know fur trappers that won't make that amount all season.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 1:58:20 AM EDT
[#25]
Great thread , old school tag . Its good to see the fur trapping guys chiming in , its something that always had my interest .

Link Posted: 1/26/2015 8:40:41 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Homemade fur parka and outerwear is a hell of a lot better than any store bought.
View Quote

That'd be a great skill to have
Of course down here in NY we'd probably wind up with some PETA freak chasing us around town screaming about the "poor helpless animal I'm wearing".....
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 12:56:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Certain species of fur, like wolf, work best because they do not trap moisture and freeze.
View Quote

+1, best hood I have is lined with Wolf fur
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 1:43:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Any chance of some pics?
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 1:47:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Interesting.  My dad had an old army style parka with wolf fur lining around the hood.  It worked really well in subzero temps.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 2:10:19 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Any chance of some pics?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Any chance of some pics?
Here is a few of a parka my grandma made close to 50 years ago and a mukluk that mom bought yrs ago.

Parka is rabbit and ruffed with wolverine if i remember right.

Will look for more.

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 5:33:38 AM EDT
[#31]
I was just wondering about this the other day. Excellent thread and article. I want a fur lined parka to go with some classic wool pants and sweaters. Does anyone make decent parkas with at least fur lined hoods these days?
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 12:05:41 AM EDT
[#32]
Thanks for the pics.  If you'll indulge a few questions, what's used for the lining and insulation?  Are natural fibers used these days or have synthetics taken over?  Are these made from patterns or from "experience"?
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 12:20:35 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Is he a long haired Dachshund?

Link Posted: 1/28/2015 2:29:57 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Thanks for the pics.  If you'll indulge a few questions, what's used for the lining and insulation?  Are natural fibers used these days or have synthetics taken over?  Are these made from patterns or from "experience"?
View Quote
Mostly modern fabric for the lining around here.

Rabbit was used a lot for lining as it made anything warm but tends to wear a bit fast.

Beaver works very well too as a liner.

Other animal fur also works.

People use both ways to make items.

Ask away on anything.

Link Posted: 2/14/2015 11:49:15 PM EDT
[#35]
Commercial Parkas available that duplicate what the Inuit did???
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 1:30:57 AM EDT
[#36]
My Father was in the Air Force and their winter coats had fur on the hoods.
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 8:21:28 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

I would have to imagine those would go for an arm and a leg
Look what simple hides go for commercially and then think of the hours of labor that go into one of those garments
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 10:29:21 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

You should get into nuisance trapping. Where people pay you to trap. It's the fastest growing division for us. I'm setting traps Monday in the shadow of 20 story high rise for coyotes. You don't even want to know what they are paying for two weeks of trapping.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Preach it brother!

Used to be licensed here and do a little, but let it go. At least around here, folks simply don't want to pay.
Did get me access to some nice properties/hunting rights.
Changing though, with more people moving into the area.
MAy jump back in in a few years.
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 12:40:00 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Look what simple hides go for commercially and then think of the hours of labor that go into one of those garments
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I should clarify....

Down parkas that have fur lined hoods???
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 12:58:06 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I could believe that a parka made from 100% fur could be very expensive but how about a modern parka with say Goose down fill that only used fur on the hood and wrist fringes? Ever seen one of these I can't find one. It's not a far reach to see how the advantages of having for on the hood could also apply to having fur all over though.

Also I am curious if artificial fur is as good or even close as real fur for this application.
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 2:39:29 PM EDT
[#41]
Canada Goose makes a real deal expedition parka

• Non-removable coyote fur ruff surrounding a 2-way adjustable tunnel hood (horizontally and hood opening), with an adjustable bracing wire for superior protection in high-wind conditions

they run about a thousand dollars

Link Posted: 2/15/2015 2:47:54 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

• Non-removable coyote fur ruff surrounding a 2-way adjustable tunnel hood (horizontally and hood opening), with an adjustable bracing wire for superior protection in high-wind conditions

http://www.canada-goose.com/expedition-parka-4565M.html#start=1

View Quote

No way I could ever spend a grand  on a parka though...  Probably not worth it unless you are really going on an expedition.

You could almost talk me into a $500 model scale down.
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 3:01:42 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 3:03:21 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 3:18:36 PM EDT
[#45]
I have a memory that coyote fur when damp/wet smells like wet dog??  Some of the other furs don't have that problem.

Link Posted: 2/15/2015 3:36:00 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/facebook/000/207/484/1322277979335.jpg

No way I could ever spend a grand  on a parka though...  Probably not worth it unless you are really going on an expedition.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.canada-goose.com/expedition-parka-4565M.html#start=1

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/facebook/000/207/484/1322277979335.jpg

I've heard those are sized funny, and the reviews on that sight reinforce that. LL Bean used to sell a good one, Think it had artificial ruff, though - they also seem to have discontinued it, like pretty much everything else worth a shit they sold.
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 4:20:09 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 12:28:50 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

I have long held the belief that in extreme weather conditions natural furs/ fibers and hide leather can out perform synthetics.

I have supplemented my cold weather gear with wool sweaters in the last few years and am still shocked how much better they are. Just a few weeks ago it dipped into the teens while working outside. All I had was a light under layer and a quality wool sweater and was just fine. Several friends had their heavy Carhart jackets and were cold.

(I like my Carhatt jacket too)

View Quote

I've yet to find a Polarfleece jacket/sweater that's as warm as a nice, thick wool sweater. A couple that I own come to mind:

1. Orvis Foul Weather Lined sweater. I got this back in November and have been wearing it a lot this winter. The windproof lining makes it usable as an outer layer over just a t-shirt and button down shirt down into the 30s. It's also a great mid layer.

2. Swiss military surplus half-zip pullover. This one is really thick so it traps a lot of insulating air in the loft. I've had it about a year and a half and been really happy with it.

A friend of mine has an Irish fisherman's sweater that he wears in really cold weather. It has even more loft than the Swiss sweater, due to the cable knit pattern, which allows it to trap more air.

The other nice thing about wool is that is doesn't get funky from B.O. the way synthetics do. It's even somewhat resistant to picking up the smell from a campfire. I wore my Swiss sweater at deer camp this year, with lots of exposure to smoke, and it doesn't stink.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 12:37:49 PM EDT
[#49]
FWIW, here's my zero degree Fahrenheit go-to: http://www.backcountry.com/the-north-face-mcmurdo-parka-mens

Fake fur, though, and not quite as well insulated as some of the others.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 4:39:02 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

Am I reading that right? Available via online sales only in Canada?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top