Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/8/2015 3:06:39 PM EDT
When considering a sudden issue/problem, do you...

Immediately think about the best consequence/outcome FIRST...

Or do you immediately think about the WORST consequence/outcome FIRST?

As the first step in developing a SOLUTION...

Link Posted: 1/8/2015 3:07:45 PM EDT
[#1]
best, ends up the worst though...
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 3:12:51 PM EDT
[#2]
It's claimed that the human brain can handle seven discrete thoughts at any given time.

Best case.

Worst case.

Does it really matter?

What should I eat next.?

Will the Cowboys beat the Packers on Sunday?

Beans, or no beans.

Was he really blind the entire time?

Chris

Link Posted: 1/8/2015 3:22:29 PM EDT
[#3]
"Does it really matter?"

I think it does in time sensitive circumstances...

Link Posted: 1/8/2015 3:24:03 PM EDT
[#4]
always best first, eternal optimist
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 3:38:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Well when considering the issue I would always think of the best scenario because you've already been hit with the bad news, the issue it's self of course.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 4:36:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Plan for the worst, hope for the best.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 11:11:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

As a lifelong engineer, I typically use the Engineering Problem Solving Method. (Unlike most schools these days that teach "The Scientific Method" which was never intended to actually "solve a problem" but rather reveal knowledge. It is therefore no small wonder that kids come out of school unable to solve the simplest of problems.)

Being a "practicalist", I tend to try to identify the best outcome first, then have backup plans for that not happening. I actually like the military mission planning acronym PACE - Primary, Alternate, Contingency, Emergency. Pretty well crystalizes what should be part of your plan/solution.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 1:05:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Usually what could go wrong first. Then what could go less wrong, eventually reaching the best case.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 1:24:07 PM EDT
[#9]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Unlike most schools these days that teach "The Scientific Method"

View Quote
Most don't even teach that anymore, since it's not helpful when filling in the memorized answers for standardized tests. Current school rule of the day is: Intake->Regurgitate->Vegetate.

Here's a nice graphic of the engineering/technological method for folks who don't want to google things:

Once your desired goals identified, PACE is an ideal way to set up numerous plans for the most likely outcomes.

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 11:03:25 PM EDT
[#10]
This article may or not be relevant to this topic, depending on your POV...

Saw it here:

GD

"U.S. millennials post ‘abysmal’ scores in tech skills test, lag behind foreign peers"

US Millenials -whatever they are...

Quote:

"The goal was to figure out how prepared people are to work in a complex, modern society.

"And U.S. millennials performed horribly.

"That might even be an understatement, given the extent of the American shortcomings. No matter how you sliced the data – by class, by race, by education – young Americans were laggards compared to their international peers. In every subject, U.S. millennials ranked at the bottom or very close to it, according to a new study by testing company ETS."

Maybe why so many [here] are so reluctant to embrace outside the box expedient solutions, often finding them 'unconventional and scary'...

As well as rejecting other creative thinking ideas.

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 1:36:14 AM EDT
[#11]
I generally think about the worst consequence/outcome first.  That way I know what to expect.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 7:18:38 AM EDT
[#12]
My first step in problem solving generally starts with consequences of inaction. Once you have an understanding of what happens if you don't do anything the pro's and cons of doing any action generally appear rapidly.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 11:15:24 AM EDT
[#13]
I come up with the best solution I can,
Then I try to shoot holes in my idea.

If it holds water I invite others to criticize it.

If it holds up to that, I implement it.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 3:44:08 PM EDT
[#14]
You'll have to forgive me putting this into medical terminology but it is pretty much how I deal with most things.

If the problem is a diagnostic one. I.e. I don't know the cause, but would like to discover it so that I may more specifically address it. Depending on how familiar I am with this issue at hand, it would be by one of these three methods:

pattern recognition: I have seen this before, I am pretty sure what it is. I proceed to address the issue.

forward thinking: I have a couple of things that I think it could be. I test each of those until I find the cause.

backward thinking: I have no clue what is going on. I create as close to a comprehensive list of what could cause the problem, then I go down the list trying to prove it isn't that thing. Once I have eliminated all but one thing then that is what is causing it.

Once I have a working diagnosis, I try to fix the problem. I usually come up with a handful of solutions that range from most invasive/intensive/aggressive to most conservative. Then I pick the solution that probably matches closest the severity of this problem at hand.

If solutions don't seem to work I go back and reassess to see if I got the cause wrong.

I don't really think about things in terms of best case and worst case, honestly. I usually think in terms of probability. Exception to that is if one of the possible causes is potentially fatal or disabling then it may go to the top of the list of things to check out because even if it is not very likely, missing it or delaying diagnosing it could be really bad.

Sorry if this isn't exactly what you are looking for, but that is basically how I look at things.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 4:39:28 PM EDT
[#15]
I work corrections.

Worst case always gets considered first.

In solving problem I have many more assets available quickly for solving things that are not worst case so I start feeding those in and see what happens.  And while feeding that stuff in and watching outcomes I am getting the bigger hammers headed my way.

I should admit that the first thing I do is decide if it even matters.  Some stuff does not matter a bit but it can cause problems so it is something to watch.  Corrections is about watching, so nothing changed other than making sure the potential issue is watched.  Might start locating medical, but not calling em my way since there is nothing to do.  Might see who is around for dressing out and what not, but not going to initiate that since it is not warranted yet.

If it matters I start seeing how much it matters.

I am no longer even allowed to solve issues at family functions and other stuff when out and about in public.  Messing with corrections has changed how I view things and since I do start off with worst case scenerio and then back off to the point it can be solved with minimum amount of force needed it causes issues for relatives and what not.  Cousins want to argue and "play fight," I let em.  

I also find such things funny, skewed sense of humor is me.

Now some of this comes from learning some of the early signs.  Something seeming a little off can often be easily fixed.  If not fixed, dude might take it to the point of seriously hurting himself trying to take his life.  Same dude, sort of same issue since it built upon the foundation that was layed earlier, but different final answers.

Catching things early means little effort is needed.  Means a whole lot less paperwork.  

One of my biggest problems is issues from shift to shift and not being told about it.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 5:20:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 5:40:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 5:40:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Good thoughts here...

Must be the wx...  

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 5:54:25 PM EDT
[#19]
I want to be TJ when I grow up.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 6:32:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1121123__ARCHIVED_THREAD____i_would_like_to_RANT_NOW____about_DUCT_TAPE.html

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 10:56:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I want to be TJ when I grow up.
View Quote

You could do far worse....

For me problem solving usually involves some sort of repair.  The three elements are 1.  By the book repair.  2.  Economical repair  3.)  Expedient repair.  I'll do stuff on the side of the road at 3 AM that I'd never even try in the shop the next day.  Take note that in the long run #1 and #2 are usually the same.   Long term planning is a different process altogether.

Ops
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 1:29:07 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Plan for the worst, hope for the best.
View Quote

this.  I always start with the worst and how to mitigate that risk, and then contemplate what I think is the most likely and use the worst case mitigation to temper the most likely case plan.  If it comes out best case, thats just gravy.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 8:15:58 AM EDT
[#23]
I'm not sure if this is what you're asking or not, but this is how I approach problems.
I identify the problem, and then make a list of possible ways to mitigate it.
Identify the actions most likely to give me success.
Identify the actions which are most cost effective / efficient.
Based on how important the project is, make a decision based on balancing efficiency vs anticipated results.

For me, there really isn't a "best" or "worst", there just... "is".
I hope what I wrote makes sense. I've never been a stellar communicator.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 9:13:05 AM EDT
[#24]
Oh, I'm definitely a MiniMax kinda guy.

I want to Minimize my Maximum regret.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 4:35:56 PM EDT
[#25]
I start by thinking of the worst that can happen. Then identify steps that eliminate that potential as much as possible. Then start thinking of ways to improve the likelyhood of the best possible outcome.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 7:31:37 PM EDT
[#26]
best
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 1:19:41 AM EDT
[#27]
best/most ideal outcome,then work on how to get there.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 9:56:10 AM EDT
[#28]
prepare for the worst, hope for the best.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 5:17:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Seeing how some of the topics here have gone a few times...

I think being able to COMPREHEND ---during LISTENING and READING, goes a long way...

Toward problem solving -in all respects.

It may have been in a thread here a while back, pointing out how as we grow older, our ability to recall what we've just been told fails, in general, almost like eyesight.

The SAME concept applies to COMPREHENSION. Folks are so used to being 'entertained' from ear buds listing to nonsense, to absorption of the flat-screen, not to mention various other 'addictions', and lose this ability.

It's surprising to see how folks are simply unable to comprehend simple things.

You can tell someone something, wait a couple minutes and politely sort of ask about what you just said, and many folks have no idea, as they have talked incessantly, and only care abt their preconceived notions/ideas.

Folks as they grow older and lose associated skills, are likely to have a greater risk of failing to survive [life, OR SHTF] situations.

I have a friend who drinks every evening, and his health is starting to fail, as expected. He's UNABLE/UNWILLING? to comprehend or even entertain, simple things he could do to help himself 'survive'.

Link Posted: 4/16/2015 5:53:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Seeing how some of the topics here have gone a few times...

I think being able to COMPREHEND ---during LISTENING and READING, goes a long way...

Toward problem solving -in all respects.

It may have been in a thread here a while back, pointing out how as we grow older, our ability to recall what we've just been told fails, in general, almost like eyesight.

The SAME concept applies to COMPREHENSION. Folks are so used to being 'entertained' from ear buds listing to nonsense, to absorption of the flat-screen, not to mention various other 'addictions', and lose this ability.

It's surprising to see how folks are simply unable to comprehend simple things.

You can tell someone something, wait a couple minutes and politely sort of ask about what you just said, and many folks have no idea, as they have talked incessantly, and only care abt their preconceived notions/ideas.

Folks as they grow older and lose associated skills, are likely to have a greater risk of failing to survive [life, OR SHTF] situations.

I have a friend who drinks every evening, and his health is starting to fail, as expected. He's UNABLE/UNWILLING? to comprehend or even entertain, simple things he could do to help himself 'survive'.

View Quote

I like to say that we live in a society right now where access to information is nearly limitless. The problem is that not all of that information is good or correct. I takes time and study to turn that information into knowledge. But then just because you know something doesn't mean you practice is. The practice of that thing can turn that knowledge into wisdom. Ya feel me?

Information ----> Knowledge ------> Wisdom.

Example: People KNOW that cigarettes are bad for them, but they don't act on that knowledge. In the case of your friend, he knows it, he just lacks the wisdom to do something about it.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 5:55:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Good analysis...

Link Posted: 4/17/2015 12:32:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
prepare for the worst, hope for the best.
View Quote

Exactly!
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 12:33:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Well...  My SO got lost on a trip 2 nights ago and her solution...

Was to get mad!  

[At me]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top