Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/21/2014 8:46:06 PM EDT
I'm going to post a quick personal review of 3 flashlights that I bought quite a while ago b/c they were recommended on this site.  I and my family have now used them all quite a bit.  

1.  Olight S20 Baton
- bought from Amazon, paid around $40
-  takes 2 CR123a or 1 18650 battery

What I like: Short, fits in pocket easy, has a double tap to the brightest mode no matter what your last mode was, battery life is quite good
What I don't like:  Doesn't have a tail cap switch.  Switch is on side, a small button.  Hasn't been a major issue.  
Would I recommend?    Yes, definitely a great light.

2. Olight ST25 Baton
- bought from Amazon, paid around $45
- takes two AAs

What I like:  takes AAs, has tail cap switch, and 2nd switch to control brightness
What I don't like:  Reliability issues (the killer for me) - I actually have 2 of these lights, neither have been reliable.  No way I would use one for a tactical light or when I really had to depend on a light.  The tail cap switch is nice, but has not been reliable.  I've had many times where the light has just not turned on,  but the batteries were good.  I'd mess with it some, and it would finally turn on.  This happens way more often than not, with both lights.  The lights were bought at different times, but maybe from the same bad batch?  I'm assuming that Olight wouldn't be selling them with a known defect.  
Would I recommend?    Not at this time - this light has great potential - especially I like the two switch idea, but the reliability is terrible for my 2 lights.  I bought them when they were very new, maybe this has been worked out by now.

3.  Jetbeam PA40
- bought from Amazon, paid around $40
-  takes 4 AAs

What I like: Very solidly built,  very bright on high, modes switch easy with tail cap, excellent battery life with AA Eneloops, not a pocket light but does fit in most of my large pockets, has low battery indicator, has been very reliable, I have 2 of these that are used alot, 3 more I have given to family
What I don't like:  nothing here
Would I recommend?    Yes, one of my favorite lights ever, definitely a good survival light

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 8:53:45 PM EDT
[#1]
The PA 40 is a great light. I have minor issues with the single button. I like the two button Fenix version but for the price the Jetbeam is great.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 8:54:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The PA 40 is a great light. I have minor issues with the single button. I like the two button Fenix version but for the price the Jetbeam is great.
View Quote

Yes, I think you posted the thread when they were on sale.  

I've not tried the Fenix version, will definitely have to check that out.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 5:26:36 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm still rolling with a jetbeam BA-10 I bought over two years ago as my EDC light, it takes a single AA or a single 14500, 160 or 300 lumens, best value in a flashlight i've ever tried, got it for 25 shipped on sale.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 12:56:13 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm still Rollin' with the nitecore defender infinity I got in 2006/7..... It's beat to fuck but still works perfectly.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 1:32:04 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm a Fenix guy, and while I appreciate some of the features on the single Olight I own, the build quality isn't near as good.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 6:11:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm a Fenix guy, and while I appreciate some of the features on the single Olight I own, the build quality isn't near as good.
View Quote

Fenix was one of the first afordable/high spec manufacturers, but today you have a lot to chose from, some as good or better for the same money.
I'll post a review I did recently of the thrunite tn4a. The things a beast and costs 55 bucks. 1150 lumens on 4x AA.
FerFAL
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top