Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/21/2014 11:53:11 AM EDT
I was reading the kerosene thread and there was a link to an airport finder. There is a small public airport on the way to my rural property. I store pure gas there and some diesel for vehicles and a tractor. Is there a reason to buy and store any Avgas? Can it be used as fuel? Is it a direct replacement for kerosene? Just wondering if storing 10-20 gallons has any value.
Thank you.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:06:37 PM EDT
[#1]
What could possibly go wrong in placing 100 plus  octane gasoline in a something that burns kerosene.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:24:31 PM EDT
[#2]
People come into the airport all the time asking to buy Avgas, but we don't allow it to be put into anything but aircraft from the mobile refuelers.
That being said, some of the MX guys put a small amount into small engine equipment for storage over the winter.

You just have to remember that it is leaded (100LL) ect..
So if you're planning on putting it into your race car, that's something to consider.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:13:25 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

... Is it a direct replacement for kerosene?...
View Quote

NO. Avgas is gasoline.

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:19:32 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

People come into the airport all the time asking to buy Avgas, but we don't allow it to be put into anything but aircraft from the mobile refuelers.

That being said, some of the MX guys put a small amount into small engine equipment for storage over the winter.

You just have to remember that it is leaded (100LL) ect..

So if you're planning on putting it into your race car, that's something to consider.
View Quote

Our airport sells off the truck to everyone. Airboats on trailers, racecars etc.

The stuff I drain in my shop for aircraft fuel tank work goes in our tugs and the rest gets distributed amongst the guys, and we run lawnmowers, generators, cars, boats etc on it.

100LL is great stuff, and can be stored well.

As far as finding a kerosine replacement, get some Jet-A. It will probably work just fine, and is just a much higher quality fuel with additives that aircraft crave
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:58:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Avgas is just leaded high octane gasoline, use it in your race car if it don't have cats.
Things that run on diesel can run on kerosene or jet-a. I was told it doesn't have as good lubrication qualities but when I worked at the airport, everything diesel used jet-a.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:38:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I was reading the kerosene thread and there was a link to an airport finder. There is a small public airport on the way to my rural property. I store pure gas there and some diesel for vehicles and a tractor. Is there a reason to buy and store any Avgas? Can it be used as fuel? Is it a direct replacement for kerosene? Just wondering if storing 10-20 gallons has any value.
Thank you.
View Quote

Lol make sure you take video when you light that lantern with a gas in it! Were you thinking of Jet A possibly?
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:58:34 PM EDT
[#7]
100LL (aka Avgas) is 100 octane gasoline with tetra-ethyl lead added as an anti-knock compound. It is dyed light blue. If you try running it through a vehicle that is meant to run unleaded gas only, you will start to foul up important sensors. I knew someone who ran an FBO that would fill his older Ford F100 with avgas. I certainly wouldn't do that in either of my vehicles.

Jet fuel (Jet A, Jet B, JP whatever) is kerosene based. There is other stuff in it as well. I've run Jet A in a diesel tractor, and I know someone who has poured sump fuel in his diesel Jetta (we call it the Jet A Jetta at work) numerous times, apparently without trouble. I still wouldn't do it if I didn't have to.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 8:04:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
100LL (aka Avgas) is 100 octane gasoline with tetra-ethyl lead added as an anti-knock compound. It is dyed light blue. If you try running it through a vehicle that is meant to run unleaded gas only, you will start to foul up important sensors. I knew someone who ran an FBO that would fill his older Ford F100 with avgas. I certainly wouldn't do that in either of my vehicles.

Jet fuel (Jet A, Jet B, JP whatever) is kerosene based. There is other stuff in it as well. I've run Jet A in a diesel tractor, and I know someone who has poured sump fuel in his diesel Jetta (we call it the Jet A Jetta at work) numerous times, apparently without trouble. I still wouldn't do it if I didn't have to.
View Quote

From what I understand, JET-A does not have the additives.  This is what you'd want for a kerosene replacement.

JET-B etc. has the additives that keep the fuel from freezing or turning into Jello at super cold temps.  eta: not suitable, you don't want to breathe this stuff.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 9:23:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Ran quite a bit in an old CJ-7. Seemed like the jetting was a bit off, but went ok. Usually cut it w regular.

People have posted that it will kill sensors, etc. I ran it in a non-catalyst 1979 304.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 9:33:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Avgas has value for older non catalytic engines and small engines, Avgas will make less power than race gas , but avgas is easier to find and usually cheaper
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 10:31:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

From what I understand, JET-A does not have the additives.  This is what you'd want for a kerosene replacement.

JET-B etc. has the additives that keep the fuel from freezing or turning into Jello at super cold temps.  eta: not suitable, you don't want to breathe this stuff.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jet-A can have additives like PRIST and FISI, which are ice inhibitors. Some is pre-mixed before it gets to the airport, some trucks have
additive injectors. Ask the line guy, he should know if he's worth his salt.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 11:53:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Jet-A can have additives like PRIST and FISI, which are ice inhibitors. Some is pre-mixed before it gets to the airport, some trucks have
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes.

Here's an article on Wiki explaining the why's and how's.

Prist

Link Posted: 12/22/2014 2:04:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Will kill your catalytic convertor.  However, until it does, your milage will be awesome.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 2:48:21 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View Quote
I run leaded 108 in my direct injected audi. Lead is hard on sensors but not THAT hard.

Link Posted: 12/22/2014 10:24:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Ran an Acura integra on nothing but avgas for years. I did remove the catalytic converter, and at the time, lived in a county without emission inspections.  Ran great.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 10:35:43 PM EDT
[#16]
I use Avgas mixed with two-stroke oil in chainsaws, string-trimmers and compactors.  It has no alcohol, and is less likely to foul your carburetor.   I put it in an old lawn tractor that barely ran.  I use it as a tug at the airport.  After tow tanks, it runs better than it had for years.  It's good for anything that doesn't have catalytic converters.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 10:55:23 PM EDT
[#17]
From 37yrs in oil refineries, and the last 25yrs supervising fuels blending;

As others have mentioned, av-gas is gasoline.  The lead can be from tetra ethyl lead (TEL) or another mixture called MMT, and possibly a third lead compound of TEL/MMT mixture.   Google TEL & MMT.  When we stopped blending leaded gasoline for auto's and av-gas back in the late 80's, we had three lead tanks/scales, each with a different lead compound.

Kerosene, kerosine, Jet A, etc. are all very similar.  The Jet A loaded into trucks at most facilities has an anti-static agent (Stadis 450) mixed into it for safety of loading/unloading from transports, from underground tanks at the airport into the airport pumper trucks, and into the aircraft.  An optional additive, de-icer, is available at most Jet A loading facilities/refineries into the tanker trucks that haul it to the airport.

K-1 kerosene for burning in residential kerosene heaters for shops, garages, etc., is slightly more pure, or more refined than Jet A.  K-1 is absolutely "water clear", whereas Jet A may have a very, very slight tint to it and still be on-spec.  Jet A in a home kerosene heater may smoke a little.

In extreme cold climates, kerosene is sold as #1 diesel, because it has a much lower freeze/gel point than diesel.  If you have a diesel vehicle and live in a cold climate, you can mix kerosene into your diesel to prevent gelling.  10%-20% kero and the remainder being diesel is usually enough to prevent gelling.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 12:57:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Thank you guys for all the good info.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 1:07:17 PM EDT
[#19]
http://www.supercub.org/forum/showthread.php?39569-100LL-storage

For older vehicles, chains saws, generators, farm tractors, small engines and air cooled aircraft engines 100LL is superior to Mogas for long term storage. If you have a self serve credit card pump at a small airport near you then consider buying some. 100LL prices will be dropping  following the drop in automotive fuels. I bought at $3.99 awhile back. I use fuel 5 years old on a regular basis in my Super Cub or small engines. My Allis Chalmers purrrs on the stuff. The issue is do you have something essential that you want to run in bad times that isn't your newer vehicle with all the emissions crap on it? Having some fuel that is good for a long time provides peace of mind. It is not uncommon when I am flying in AK and the Arctic to buy fuel several years old that was barged in on a river or delivered via winter roads. Many outfitters and prospectors use fuel that is old enough to have the barrels rusting on the outside. Filtering and common sense precautions of course should be SOP. 55 gallon barrels are available from petro dealers, many are pressure tested, clean and painted. A wobble pump is a simple transfer method. It's hard to pay 1-2$ more for a gallon of fuel that what the local service station is selling 87 for but I don't have the time to rotate stuff around. I'm much too busy.

Link Posted: 12/25/2014 1:26:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Good accurate post...
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 5:18:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Dragstrip is closer to me than airport, and actually closest gas station has a CAM2 pump.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top