Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/20/2014 4:31:22 PM EDT

Really? an older than crap Russian gas mask, probably rotten beyond use? That's what you whant to be wearing for doomsday?
Just came across the image and caught myself thinking that.
FerFAL
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 4:33:05 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't own a gas mask... Guess I am way behind
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 4:39:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Considering you only get fifteen minutes out of a filter; why bother?
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 4:42:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Considering you only get fifteen minutes out of a filter; why bother?
View Quote

15 minutes? it depends on the filter, but even with a standard 40mm filter 1 hour is the most you can go for only in a worst case NBC sceanrio, as in practically breathing in the middle of a fallout cloud. Even in a worst case scenario the new cartidges last for 24 hs.
Its not something you have to go nuts about but its something that should be adressed with some research, common sense, based on your location/risks and financial possiblities.
I like breathing. It keeps me alive.
FerFAL
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 5:44:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Better than breathing whatever crap you're trying to avoid. The eastern bloc filters may be expired, but IIRC, they are threaded the same as NATO filters to accept new ones. As long as the mask still holds it's integrity, it should be ok.

Some people don't have the scratch for a brand new 3M respirator, but all I know is that I'm not cheaping out on my life.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 6:42:57 PM EDT
[#5]
guy is wearing an Israeli mask and woman is wearing a newer youth Ukrainian PDF-D civil defense mask

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 7:10:19 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a 3m full face respirator. I should look into what cartridges I can get for it.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 8:22:30 PM EDT
[#7]

Bad photoshop is bad photoshop.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 11:02:56 PM EDT
[#8]
I figure by the time the gov't announces (unlikely) or by the time that you figure out that you need a mask most people will already be dead

or have breathed in enough to kill or disable them.

A mask is most useful when you already know you are going into danger or that there will be an incident.

If you are unaware of what is happening by the time you figure it out it's too late.

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 7:18:27 AM EDT
[#9]
you do notice the "wife" is wearing said worn out rotten mask?
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 8:20:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
you do notice the "wife" is wearing said worn out rotten mask?
View Quote

Baby that's normal, the valves arent rotten, you're supposed to be able to breathe when you cover the cannister with your palm!

FerFAL
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 8:41:20 AM EDT
[#11]
When changing a filter in a dangerous environment, is there a valve that prevents NBC's from entering the mask?
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 9:01:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Definite birth control there
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 11:53:27 AM EDT
[#13]
What's with her hair?  Survival mullet.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 4:02:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
guy is wearing an Israeli mask and woman is wearing a newer youth Ukrainian PDF-D civil defense mask

View Quote

It looks like it came from the Chernobyl gift shop.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 4:03:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Just reminds me of the Doomsday Dunskies show too much....

Bought the "Doomsday Castle" DVD, that's pretty much more of the same.

The crazy wild swings and lack of across the board prepping on these shows kills me.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 4:09:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
When changing a filter in a dangerous environment, is there a valve that prevents NBC's from entering the mask?
View Quote

Depends on the mask, but basically yes. The newer masks just dont let you breathe until there's a cartidge in place. You start asphixiating the moment it is removed and it freaks you out until you install the new one.
With older models you where just supposed to hold your respiration until the new filter was installed, but basically yes, most masks these days are made so as to replace filters on the go in a contaminated enviroment.
FerFAL
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 7:54:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Am I the only one that looks at gas masks and goes "What's the point?"

If it displaces oxygen I'm screwed

If a chem plant accident/train derails I'm screwed unless the industrial chemical is very common

If the Chicoms slime us I'm screwed. Not only can I not tell if an agent is present, I don't have the facilities or training to decon after I leave the area.

The one thing it's good for is particulate matter.I doubt I'll run into much CS and if I'm nuked I'll have much bigger problems than breathing in some alpha/beta particles, but it should be good for ash from volcanoes or forest fires. At least you can get a P100 respirator from 3M relatively cheaply.  I already have a couple of those in the garage.

That's my take on it. Anyone have any other thoughts? Is a P100 full face respirator good enough or should I break down and buy one of those new M50 masks?

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 9:26:32 PM EDT
[#18]
15 minutes was the old spec for a blood agent. Not sure of the latest doctrine.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 9:48:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

If a chem plant accident/train derails I'm screwed unless the industrial chemical is very common

If the Chicoms slime us I'm screwed. Not only can I not tell if an agent is present, I don't have the facilities or training to decon after I leave the area.

The one thing it's good for is particulate matter.I doubt I'll run into much CS and if I'm nuked I'll have much bigger problems than breathing in some alpha/beta particles, but it should be good for ash from volcanoes or forest fires. At least you can get a P100 respirator from 3M relatively cheaply.  I already have a couple of those in the garage.

That's my take on it. Anyone have any other thoughts? Is a P100 full face respirator good enough or should I break down and buy one of those new M50 masks?

View Quote

In recent years there's been a number of moments in my life where a mask has been of use:
A flu, volcano ash, bushfire smoke, and more recently ebola.
You mention nuclear explosion, and sure, you get nuked while sipping coffee in ground 0 and you're toast, but for a much larger of people such an explosion will give them some time, in some cases and depending exaclty where you are and where wind blows it may be just a matter of getting away from the fallout. Nuclear powerplant disasters also involve some time to evacuate or put a mask on.
Its not something people should rush into but I at least see it as vital enough that you should study your own situation, research whats available and prepare for it within your means.
ferFAL
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 10:40:57 AM EDT
[#20]
The first thing that came to my mind is "are you my mummy"
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 12:33:15 AM EDT
[#21]
Depends on how much he likes being married
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 10:35:12 AM EDT
[#22]
The people in the OP's picture are doomed. Besides the out-of-date, junky surplus gas masks, they have way too much skin exposed.
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 2:21:20 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/31/2014 4:47:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Zactly...  
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 1:29:51 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Whenever I find somewhere that stocks/properly fits full face respirators, I'm getting one. IMHO, a gas mask is one of the first preps someone should have, for things as simple as a cleaning chemical mix up. Yeah, if its both toxic and heavier than air, you're screwed, but it will buy some time to get elevation while it hasn't completely displaced the oxygen.
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 8:06:14 AM EDT
[#26]
Better than nothing.
Link Posted: 1/2/2015 7:26:25 AM EDT
[#27]
It is a picture, it is to express a thought, it is not real. I have one Russian mask, it is still viable, it was for Hurricaine allie when she was smaller. I also have a new mask for each. A stash of NBC filters in the armory. We have a well with chlorine three doors down, that is my # 1 concern. it is automatic and unmanned.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top