Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 10:32:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Our kids used cloth diapers but we also used reusable cloth wipes.  My wife bought some fancy purposes built ones online but the best results we has was when I bought a bale (12 dozen)  of hotel wash cloths.  They worked shockingly well and cleaned up fine. You couldn't tell what they were used for after a wash.  Cost a lot of water to clean and I suspect effort involved cleaning them would be high if you didn't have a washing machine but very doable if you had access to a creek with clean water.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 1:58:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I’m sure you realize this is how most (numbers) of the world does it (Indians, Arabs, etc.).  There is a good reason Arabs consider the left hand to be dirty.   Typical Saudi toilet = hole in floor and a 6’ garden hose.
View Quote

Maybe there is the reason we are a 1st world country and they are a 3rd world country.................

Link Posted: 12/22/2014 9:54:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I would not use India as an example for anything toilet related.

That said, you do what you have to do.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 8:48:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

She'll like it once it's installed.............
View Quote

I think what I'll do is take the TP and the towels out of the bathroom one morning, pretty much forcing her to at least try it....

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 12:56:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Stock up on costco unscented baby wipes. TP is disgusting.
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 1:53:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I think what I'll do is take the TP and the towels out of the bathroom one morning, pretty much forcing her to at least try it....

-Emt1581
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

She'll like it once it's installed.............

-Emt1581

Once she tries it, she'll be hooked.  

BUT....make sure that you turn the water on slowly...and never to the max setting.  If you just quickly turn it on....well it'll be pretty painful!
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 4:09:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 2:44:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

BUT....make sure that you turn the water on slowly...and never to the max setting.  If you just quickly turn it on....well it'll be pretty painful!
View Quote

Yeah I'd imagine it'd be like power washing your ass.  I also think it'd make someone fly off the toilet and land in the tub.  

While I haven't tried it yet, I am somewhat concerned about being nailed in the nuts by it.  But I guess if it's used on the lowest possible setting until I got the "aim" figured out, we should be ok.

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 3:36:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Yeah I'd imagine it'd be like power washing your ass.  I also think it'd make someone fly off the toilet and land in the tub.  

While I haven't tried it yet, I am somewhat concerned about being nailed in the nuts by it.  But I guess if it's used on the lowest possible setting until I got the "aim" figured out, we should be ok.

-Emt1581
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

-Emt1581

So you bought a bidet to ad to your toilet, you won't use it because you don't want to hurt your nuts....but you want to force (your word not mine) your wife to use it??? I suspect that this AAR should be quite funny...
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 3:42:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

So you bought a bidet to ad to your toilet, you won't use it because you don't want to hurt your nuts....but you want to force (your word not mine) your wife to use it??? I suspect that this AAR should be quite funny...
View Quote

AAR?

And where did I say I wouldn't use it?  I'm actually pretty anxious to try it from everything everyone has shared.  It would just suck if someone using it did NOT go easy on the control knob.  

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 3:48:51 PM EDT
[#11]
AAR. ...I'm an optimist who loves a good laugh.

I'm just saying based on your posts you haven't tried it, are scared of hurting your nuts and you want to force your wife to try it.  Maybe your wife is waaaay different than mine but....I know it would not be good for my survival (see this post does tie in to an SF  subject) to attempt to force her into anything. Ymmv

This is very entertaining I'll say that much.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 3:52:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

-Emt1581
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

-Emt1581

You're over thinking it.  Your nuts will be fine.  Just sit on the toilet and turn it on slowly.  You'll be able to figure it out within about 10 seconds.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 3:54:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Not to sound like GD, but if you haven't ordered yet, be sure to get one with the warm water- your wife will thank you once she has some alone time with it*.  

*Yes, I'm talking about exactly what you think I am, most women tend to really enjoy it once they try it.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 3:56:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
AAR. ...I'm an optimist who loves a good laugh.

I'm just saying based on your posts you haven't tried it, are scared of hurting your nuts and you want to force your wife to try it.  Maybe your wife is waaaay different than mine but....I know it would not be good for my survival (see this post does tie in to an SF  subject) to attempt to force her into anything. Ymmv

This is very entertaining I'll say that much.
View Quote

Still no clue what AAR stands for.

My wife is a bit stubborn at times.  Take shooting.  Initially she was completely totally anti-gun.  I forced her to go to the range and try it....she liked it.  She now carries and has her own guns.  Kinda the same line of thinking but with a toilet.

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 3:58:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Not to sound like GD, but if you haven't ordered yet, be sure to get one with the warm water- your wife will thank you once she has some alone time with it*.  

*Yes, I'm talking about exactly what you think I am, most women tend to really enjoy it once they try it.
View Quote

We've tried that (just not with a bidet).  She's not a fan.  

-Emt1581

Link Posted: 12/26/2014 3:58:53 PM EDT
[#16]
AAR. ...after action report.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 3:59:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
AAR. ...after action report.
View Quote

Got it.  

Thanks

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 4:01:46 PM EDT
[#18]
No worries...and good luck.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 2:37:26 PM EDT
[#19]
The mail lady brought me my bidet about an hour ago.  

A few questions at the end so feel free to skip down!

I was surprised how simple it was to install.  Didn't even need any plumbers tape which is good because I couldn't find my rolls of it.  But I'm guessing a few years down the road when those washers wear out I'll wish I had some there so I'll put some in within the next few days/weeks.  

After installation I tried it out and for all the TMI fairies feel free to stop reading!!

I'm VERY glad someone warned me about starting out slow.  Well, as with everything else in the bathroom it's 1mm between good and horrific.  I went just past the first bubble on the gauge and it went from being a water fountain to a pressure washer!  Hurt pretty bad.  Seriously, the cold water WAS actually refreshing.  Had it been warm or hot it would have sucked/hurt worse.  Overall, VERY happy with the purchase!

Now on to some questions....

1)   It really did a great job cleaning but toilet paper seems like a real loser here.  Kinda the same effect as drying your hands with it...just breaks up into little pieces and makes a mess.  Are wash cloths hygenic to use here or, if used, are they a one time use type of thing in this role?  If they are ok to use can a husband and wife use the same one to dry with?  Does the wife need two different cloths?  

2) With kids...say 3-4 year old... teach them to use it?  Don't touch!...?  Only when mommy/daddy are there?  I don't want to hurt the little guy or mess with his mind at all (since this will be the ONLY one between here, school, public, etc.).  And I also don't want a water show turning the bathroom into a water park right before bed time.  I'm really leaning toward don't touch and we'll just keep using wet-wipes for him.  

3) Anything to watch for wear/tear-wise with these?  I mean the vast majority of this thing is cheap plastic...how long do they last for?

Thanks for the suggestion, this thing is great!  Definitely a game-changer!!  

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 2:59:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 7:34:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I was surprised how simple it was to install.  Didn't even need any plumbers tape which is good because I couldn't find my rolls of it.  But I'm guessing a few years down the road when those washers wear out I'll wish I had some there so I'll put some in within the next few days/weeks.  

After installation I tried it out and for all the TMI fairies feel free to stop reading!!

I'm VERY glad someone warned me about starting out slow.  Well, as with everything else in the bathroom it's 1mm between good and horrific.  I went just past the first bubble on the gauge and it went from being a water fountain to a pressure washer!  Hurt pretty bad.  Seriously, the cold water WAS actually refreshing.  Had it been warm or hot it would have sucked/hurt worse.  Overall, VERY happy with the purchase!

1)   It really did a great job cleaning but toilet paper seems like a real loser here.  Kinda the same effect as drying your hands with it...just breaks up into little pieces and makes a mess.  Are wash cloths hygenic to use here or, if used, are they a one time use type of thing in this role?  If they are ok to use can a husband and wife use the same one to dry with?  Does the wife need two different cloths?  

2) With kids...say 3-4 year old... teach them to use it?  Don't touch!...?  Only when mommy/daddy are there?  I don't want to hurt the little guy or mess with his mind at all (since this will be the ONLY one between here, school, public, etc.).  And I also don't want a water show turning the bathroom into a water park right before bed time.  I'm really leaning toward don't touch and we'll just keep using wet-wipes for him.  

3) Anything to watch for wear/tear-wise with these?  I mean the vast majority of this thing is cheap plastic...how long do they last for?

-Emt1581
View Quote

When using it, you still want to use some TP....at least I do.  I do the pressure washing and then drip dry for 20-30 seconds....then use TP.  Never had an issue.  Personally I wouldn't use a wash cloth....but that's me.  

We've had ours for 5 years or so.  No issue so far.  

I might hesitate to install one if I had small kids in the house full time because I could see them playing with it....and making a mess with it!

Link Posted: 12/27/2014 11:28:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
When using it, you still want to use some TP....at least I do.  I do the pressure washing and then drip dry for 20-30 seconds....then use TP.  Never had an issue.  Personally I wouldn't use a wash cloth....but that's me.  

We've had ours for 5 years or so.  No issue so far.  

I might hesitate to install one if I had small kids in the house full time because I could see them playing with it....and making a mess with it!

View Quote

I think I'm actually going to try to wash cloth route.  The more I can do to eliminate the need for TP altogether the more money I save the better (yearly cost adds up!)...plus the TP didn't work well for me.  Just shredded.

5 years really? Nice! Hopefully my kid won't lean against it and bust in in the next week or so...

What I did was turned the knob to the clean function so even if he flips the other knob it'll just shoot water in the toilet.  

Thanks

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 12:14:50 AM EDT
[#23]
In Iraq the Iraqi portapotties didn't have TP in them and the seat was usually ripped off. They considered sitting on the seat to be dirty and squatted over the hole. You'd see them walk in with a bottle of water and walk out squirting their left hand with water when they walked out. This is why they don't eat with the left hand. So yeah, it's doable.

Did I mention that they smelled like shit?
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 2:29:21 AM EDT
[#24]
I just wash and then pat dry with a couple squares. It has cut my TP use possibly 10 fold I would imagine.
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 2:34:51 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

-Emt1581
View Quote
Now go to the store and buy some 800 - 1200 thread count Egyptian cotton sheets. Lol

Serious quality of life improvements.
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 4:54:54 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I'm not sure if it was someone on this forum or somewhere else but somewhere along the line I saw a video clip of how they "wipe" in India.  Basically you squat over the hole and then use a cup to trickle water down and wash off.  They say it works pretty well although I've never tried it.  I'm just thinking (so long as it's not freezing out which would make it pretty unpleasant) this might be something to look at if TP is not available.  Rain water, melted snow, etc. should be fine to use so long as there's no issue of contamination.  

Thoughts?...Experience?

Thanks

-Emt1581
View Quote

If I'm in Asia that is how it goes. At first it is certainly alien to wash the nether regions while at the toilet. After a while though you get used to it. The only issue is you need to dry off a bit of it will give you damp underwear when you redone your pants etc. There's normally a little spray hose you direct, as long as the pressure isn't too high you'll be ok. Just don't 'blast' it directly underneath or you might end up with a DIY enema!

While washing by water with the hand may seem unhygenic, I never got ill or food poisoning as I always washed my hands afterwards. Often it's more comfortable too than (dry) toilet paper.
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 10:16:40 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hose mounted showerhead...cranked to pulsate...hop in bend over and spread em...so clean you squeak when you walk....as for the toilet the wet wipes tend to work better than tp
View Quote
That made me lol, but all too true!  
View Quote

Dont laugh mister.  It's not as funny when your standing there looking at that set-up, thinking "fuck, how am i going to do this with out taking a shower and washing my pants/boots."  Wish i still had the pics, they were mildly comical.
Thank you Algeria.
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 9:55:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Ok, so it's been about a month and a half and I've pretty much sworn off toilet paper....except when I'm at work or anywhere else away from home.  

Anyone use the portable ones?? I've been thinking about picking one up.  No clue which to get or how you're supposed to use them,

Suggestions?

BTW, one awesome thing about using a bidet is NEVER having to make sure you have TP left on the roll again.  My wife, who refuses to use it, got one hell of a wake-up call that the TP doesn't magically roll it's ass up to the master-bath all by itself!!  

Thanks

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 11:25:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Lol, I thought the same thing. No doubt.  

And EMT I don't know if you seen my post from page 1. I have one and use it when I'm out of town.

View Quote

I know you suggested this one, but $90+!!! wow!

This one needs no batteries...you just crank the bottom and it somehow pressurizes the water....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NON-ELECTRIC-Portable-Bidet-Toilet-Washlet-Handheld-Hand-Spray-Seat-Water-CA3-WF-/361179687640?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item5417fcaad8

Thoughts?

Thanks

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 11:45:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Ok, so it's been about a month and a half and I've pretty much sworn off toilet paper....except when I'm at work or anywhere else away from home.  

Anyone use the portable ones?? I've been thinking about picking one up.  No clue which to get or how you're supposed to use them,

Suggestions?

BTW, one awesome thing about using a bidet is NEVER having to make sure you have TP left on the roll again.  My wife, who refuses to use it, got one hell of a wake-up call that the TP doesn't magically roll it's ass up to the master-bath all by itself!!  

Thanks

-Emt1581
View Quote

Pretty freaking awesome eh?  I still use TP but much less...and walk out feeling much cleaner.
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 12:02:34 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Pretty freaking awesome eh?  I still use TP but much less...and walk out feeling much cleaner.
View Quote

Amazing!! But what about the portable ones?

Thanks

-Emt1581
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top