Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/13/2014 11:45:08 AM EDT
I am looking for recommendations for a driveway alarm.  I see lots of wireless models, but also read a lot about lack of range and intermittent performance.   I have a 200 foot long drive, totally blind to the house so I don't have any windows to really have a receiver mounted in.  Anyone have a wired model, or experience with a good wireless model?
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 12:31:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Optex... Best prices are at www.homesecuritystore.com
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 12:39:39 PM EDT
[#2]
We own a small alarm company and for years we've used the optex 'Wireless 1000' and 'Wireless 2000' series. They're very good, very flexible, and even expandable, so you can have up to four remote sensors making individual tone patterns on one receiver; so you can have multiple sensors scattered in different locations and know which sensor was tripped. It also has adjustable lens patterns that can be set for different views based on location & surroundings. The 1000 has been discontinued; the 2000 has a claimed range (under ideal conditions) of 2000 feet, and we've used them to probably 1600 or so. The sensor is white & baseball-shaped and runs off a 9V battery. I recommend painting them - but not the sensor lens - to mask them as the white does stand out. The kit with receiver and transmitter can be had from amazon & similar for usually around $110-$125 or so. Extra TD-20U transmitters can be had individually, up to four on one receiver.

Another one that I just started experimenting with this week is one from Chamberlain. Don't recall the model, but functionally it's much like the optex. I've only tested it once, out to 1400ft or so with a small hill and one metal building in between, and it still worked. It may not be as expandable & flexible as the optex; I'm not completely familiar with it yet.Best thing is, it runs about a third the price of the optex, I paid something like $45 for this one unit to test. One advantage it has is that it's a muted grey color rather than the white of the optex. It's likely to replace the optex for our use in most settings, since a single sensor is all most people want.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 2:36:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Thank you!  The Optex sounds like the solution!
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 3:31:53 PM EDT
[#4]
+1 on the Chamberlain! You can add up to eight sensors, and is self programing as you add them. Weatherproof, and few false alarms! It will also work when the power is out too! I got the best deal on it on Amazon!

Link Posted: 12/13/2014 3:52:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Chamberlain reporter.

Had one for 3-4 years...it's fine.

Not sure about power failure. The chime plugs in.  The sensor runs on AA's.

You can adj the sensitivity. Another friend has a Dakota that he likes.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 6:11:24 PM EDT
[#6]
The chime will run on batteries for two weeks without being plugged in...............

Link Posted: 12/13/2014 11:39:42 PM EDT
[#7]
learned something new

take a sensor and put it where you are concerned: in shed, garage, inside car

they beep a certain number of times, so you can tell the zones apart
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 11:44:15 PM EDT
[#8]
great thread ..I've got one of those long driveways that curves to the back of the house...no fence around the property which may become a problem if I need to put the generator out
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 12:42:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
+1 on the Chamberlain! You can add up to eight sensors...
View Quote

Thanks. I just started looking at Chamberlain and didn't know that yet.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 9:38:03 AM EDT
[#10]
I have a driveway that's about 1/4 mile long and I placed a wireless STI monitor about 500 feet away and it's worked flawlessly for 3 years. I've changed the batteries about once a year. It catches about 99% of all vehicles, and has been well worth the money. I picked it up on Amazon. Here's the model:

Safety Technology International  STI-34150 Wireless Driveway Monitor (battery powered) - Part of the Wireless Alert series

Linky
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 11:51:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Great additional information, keep it coming!

I love the idea of having multiple receivers, so I could have one alarm upstairs and one downstairs so we are sure to hear it no matter where we are in the house.  

I had wondered, and I'm sure it is the case, if I will set off most driveway alarms every time I go past on the lawn mower.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 11:59:35 AM EDT
[#12]
My friends have one of these and it works pretty good.  It is 300-400' away around a corner.  It even picks up the deer and bears when they visit.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 2:38:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Yep, they pick up anything that is giving off heat. A funny thing I've noticed is that a car that has just been started in the cold that moves past it, will sometimes not trigger the alarm. However if it's been running a couple of minutes, it will trigger it.

Link Posted: 12/14/2014 4:18:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Yep, they pick up anything that is giving off heat. A funny thing I've noticed is that a car that has just been started in the cold that moves past it, will sometimes not trigger the alarm. However if it's been running a couple of minutes, it will trigger it.

View Quote

Correct.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 5:48:11 PM EDT
[#15]
what is the temperature that defines cold for this thread.

below freezing?   50 degrees?
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 5:57:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Cold being defined as the car body being the same temperature as it's surroundings. Like coming out of an unheated garage with no sun shining on it heating it. As soon as there is any heat coming off the body (doesn't take much), it will trigger the alarm. Cars pulling into a driveway from the road will definitely trigger it, as will animals and people walking past it.

Link Posted: 12/14/2014 6:15:03 PM EDT
[#17]
+1 on the Chamberlain, have one on my driveway, and another out at the shed. Both work great, have caught turkeys setting both of them off...
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 11:26:26 PM EDT
[#18]
How are these about false alarms?  I had a similar looking alarm several years ago and every time the wind blew or a bird flew by it would go off.  I don't know what brand it was or the type of sensor.  I'm thinking it was IR. It had a good range, it was at the end of my driveway and it's 1/10 of a mile long.   I actually saw a crow jumping up and down in front of it one time (I'm thinking it could see the IR light) every time it would jump the alarm would go off.  I finally gave up on it.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 11:56:11 PM EDT
[#19]
we use the dakota alert MURS radio alert on our drive.  The base station and Walkie Talkies serve as a com-link for the family as well on the farm.  
External antennae are allowed and being VHF, you can figure on about 1+ miles of use (depending on conditions and topo) YMMV.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 1:37:24 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
How are these about false alarms?  I had a similar looking alarm several years ago and every time the wind blew or a bird flew by it would go off.  I don't know what brand it was or the type of sensor.  I'm thinking it was IR. It had a good range, it was at the end of my driveway and it's 1/10 of a mile long.   I actually saw a crow jumping up and down in front of it one time (I'm thinking it could see the IR light) every time it would jump the alarm would go off.  I finally gave up on it.
View Quote

I have been using this one for a couple years now with decent success.  It operates with magnet, rather than it, so is set off by a mass of moving metal (car), and not simple movement. It avoids the trips by deer, dogs etc, which for me is nice as game crosses my driveway regularly.  

I've maybe put a set of batteries in it once a year or so, and its been pretty decent.  Its range is OK, better if not obscured by trees, as mine is.  However, it gives a good heads up, and not having it right at he end of the driveway prevents triggers from cars turning around
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 2:09:29 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Cold being defined as the car body being the same temperature as it's surroundings. Like coming out of an unheated garage with no sun shining on it heating it. As soon as there is any heat coming off the body (doesn't take much), it will trigger the alarm. Cars pulling into a driveway from the road will definitely trigger it, as will animals and people walking past it.

View Quote

I live in upstate SC and it does get cold a few days a year in the morning.   I have thought about buying some perimiter security and thought this might be one of the ways to go for me.

It does get cold sometimes but not hard core freezing.   I have had a bunch of miscreants move in recently and dont want to accomplish anything except just the knowledge that someone is on my property.

I would like some passive alerts to when my perimeter is breached.    I am an old school guy and can set up trip wire / flare type deals but would rather not.     they might be passive at the start but when they go off they are far from passive.

Link Posted: 12/15/2014 9:38:44 AM EDT
[#22]
Just be mindful that those units that only activate by vehicle mass, etc, do so to avoid 'false' alarms generated by animals walking by; and therefore will likewise ignore humans walking by. If the goal is to detect vehicles, they're great - we use them to automatically open gates for vehicles approaching from the inside of a secured area, to provide hassle-free egress, and they work great for that.

But the functional cost of being blind to deer and dogs, is that they are inherently also blind to human trespassers.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 10:30:08 AM EDT
[#23]
loon_138, thanks I had seen the magnetic sensors but haven't heard any experiences with them.  Also the ones I had looked at were twice that price.  As far as not detecting humans that's not an issue for me.  I'm in a rural area, I can only see my nearest neighbor if I'm standing in certain spot on my property.  If someone is going to walk through my place from the driveway they are going to be in a vehicle 99% of the time.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 11:12:40 AM EDT
[#24]
Also worth noting on the Chamberlain units, the outside sensors are rated to last two years without changing batteries if you use Lithium batteries in them. And yes they are also rated for a wide range of temperatures with no issues. I currently use 4 of them and plan on adding two more to the setup. The only false alarms I've had were a bunch of birds in my garden for a time setting it off, and wind blowing some fabric once.

You wouldn't be disappointed with it as a system!
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 11:36:50 AM EDT
[#25]
I use chamberlain

Have a add-on in my shed and by the back door. It will go off if someone walks by or gets in shed
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 1:56:53 PM EDT
[#26]

Greetings,

I've been using one of the units from here:

http://www.miltronics.com/retail-products

In my case the distance from the furthest detector to the receiver caused me to pick this specific system:

https://www.drivewayalert.com/home-yard-alert%C2%AE-ext-lr-system

So, I have two sensors set up along the 1/4 mile drive; one about hundred or so yards from the street, and the next one just before a 90 degree turn about 300 yards from there. They do tend to get set off by deer, so I only get concerned if I hear the tones in sequence (you can program all this). In very heavy rain, they are not 100% and a few times in periods of a week or more of temps in the low teens one or the other unit occasionally would not go off. They are made in the USA and otherwise no issues after about 2 years of use. Good luck!

Regards, Jim

Link Posted: 12/15/2014 6:04:06 PM EDT
[#27]
You won't have most of those issues with Chamberlain units. However deer and other animals will set them of, as will humans. But this is what most folks want.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 8:26:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Tag.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 8:16:49 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 11:36:49 AM EDT
[#30]
Based on this thread, I bought and installed chamberlan. Works great, good quality components.

Would buy it again.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 1:33:07 PM EDT
[#31]
We have a gravel circular driveway (two entry/exit points) that is pretty close to the house but we wanted a driveway alert so we got the Chamberlain with one additional sensor.

So far it works great.  We get a lot of deliveries and don't always here vehicles coming in the drive without the alert.

As far as the functionality of the passive IR motion system that this sensor uses, I can tell you that if I jump in my car in the morning start the engine and drive out immediately, it does not set the sensor off.  The car and the engine have not warmed up over the outside air temp enough to trigger it.

We rarely get false positives but do get beeps in the middle of the night when coyotes and wild horses walk through (welcome to NV). Small critters like quail and rabbits don't normally trigger it though.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 1:35:37 AM EDT
[#32]
Tagged for more info.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 12:40:59 PM EDT
[#33]
You might consider putting a sensor on both sides of the driveway.

During the winter, the engine will sometimes not trigger the sensor and only the exhaust pipe trigger. If the exhaust pipe in on the far side of vehicle (away from sensor) it will not trigger.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 6:04:32 PM EDT
[#34]
I have to put another plug in for the Chamberlain.  220+ feet of driveway with 3 entrances to the road.  Within 2 weeks the dogs even learn the system.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 6:15:06 PM EDT
[#35]
This thread got me thinking about driveway alerts again. The last one I had sucked. Cheap harbor freight motion detector

that detected every flutter of a leaf and about 10% of the cars! I didn't know about the PIR units til reading it here.

I bought a DakotaAlert set and it is working great. It did miss my wifes cold pickup when she left but that doesn't matter.

I now know that the newspaper is delivered about 1:30am .

The sensor is about 130 feet from the receiver and goes through a stucco outer wall and a drywall inner wall.

Thanks for the info!

Tom
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 7:30:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Just thought I'd post a little update.  After reading some of the posts I purchased the Mighty Mule magnetic driveway alarm.  So here is a little review.

Pros:  It's magnetic so NO false alarms. If the alarm goes off something metal has gone down the driveway.  Birds, leaves, shadows, etc WILL NOT set it off. Price, it was $61 delivered to my house.

Cons:  Range is the main con for me, but may be fine for most.  It claims 400ft range, but I had to move it in to 350 and be sure the receiver is in direct line of sight to the transmitter before it would pick up.  I really need about 800ft range but I can live with this.  Another con for some may be that digging is required.  If you have all concrete or really had dirt installation could be difficult.  It wasn't for me as I have a gravel driveway and soft dirt around it.

Overall I'm very happy with this unit so far.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 5:15:30 PM EDT
[#37]
We have a Dakota here and it works pretty good. No false alarms. Sometimes it will miss a cold vehicle is my only complaint. Its been running well over a year and Ive yet to even change the batteries.
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 1:18:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
This thread got me thinking about driveway alerts again. The last one I had sucked. Cheap harbor freight motion detector

that detected every flutter of a leaf and about 10% of the cars! I didn't know about the PIR units til reading it here.

I bought a DakotaAlert set and it is working great. It did miss my wifes cold pickup when she left but that doesn't matter.

The sensor is about 130 feet from the receiver and goes through a stucco outer wall and a drywall inner wall.

Thanks for the info!

Tom
View Quote

Tom, the H-F unit is PIR...

Link Posted: 12/25/2014 1:21:03 PM EDT
[#39]
An important issue for max performance/data, that's already been mentioned, is to place TWO sensors roughly 100 feet apart.

This will give directional info [that is VERY useful in some applications] and will also help to identify false alarms.

Seismic detection [done a certain way] is also very useful, don't ask how I know...
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 5:01:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
An important issue for max performance/data, that's already been mentioned, is to place TWO sensors roughly 100 feet apart.

This will give directional info [that is VERY useful in some applications] and will also help to identify false alarms.

Seismic detection [done a certain way] is also very useful, don't ask how I know...
View Quote

What is the certain way?
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 7:17:15 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the info!

Tom

Mine were purchased 12-14 years ago and I'm pretty sure it was just motion, any time the wind blew it would "detect" the shrubbery moving.

Tom
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 8:01:33 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Mine were purchased 12-14 years ago and I'm pretty sure it was just motion, any time the wind blew it would "detect" the shrubbery moving.

Tom
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the info!

Tom

Tom

What detected the 'motion'?

Link Posted: 12/25/2014 8:22:29 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the info!

Tom

Tom

I don't know, why don't you tell me. It went off on any movement like the old motion lights do. The new one doesn't care about motion in the shrubs.

Tom
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 8:24:36 PM EDT
[#44]
The Seismic Sensors, on the highest setting, will not only pick up the effect of the wind on trees and shrubs, but will also pick up raindrops and even frogs and toads hopping in the garden. This does give many false alarms until you find a good setting level that fixes the problem.

I use them at a lower setting to monitor deer trails..................

Link Posted: 12/25/2014 8:36:28 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I don't know, why don't you tell me. It went off on any movement like the old motion lights do. The new one doesn't care about motion in the shrubs.

Tom
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the info!

Tom

Tom

Tom

I already did....    

Link Posted: 12/25/2014 8:50:31 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I already did....    

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tom

I already did....    

What I would like, is for you to explain the difference between the two and why they work so diffferently. Enlighten me, Plwase.

Tom
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 9:32:25 PM EDT
[#47]
Seismic is just that. Vibrations of whatever degree, sets off the sensor. This is based on the intensity of the vibration in direct proportion to what the sensitivity is set at.

The others (Chamberlain) are triggered by the presence of a heat difference, however minute, related to what was present previously. A new warmer object sets it off. Movement comes into play as it is part of the warmer object coming into range of the sensor.

An example of the difference would be a bird gliding by the different sensors. It would not set off the seismic one unless it landed causing a vibration to the ground. It would set off the Chamberlain unit, as it would present a heat difference as a warm living thing passing by the sensor.

Link Posted: 12/25/2014 9:45:58 PM EDT
[#48]
We have a Dakota something or other.  1,200 foot driveway.  Infrared sensor.

Works like a charm.
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 10:19:14 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

What I would like, is for you to explain the difference between the two and why they work so diffferently. Enlighten me, Plwase.

Tom
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tom

I already did....    

Tom

Both of your units likely use PIR [Passive Infrared] detectors.

For one unit vs another to be able to effectively discriminate between 'false triggers' is usually determined by logic in the alarm sensor unit, that may be analog, or digital.

The latest higher end trail cams that use PIR for motion detection have fairly good discrimination against false alarms.

The problem is, sometimes triggering by something that isn't considered a 'threat', looks to the alarm sensor, similar to a 'real threat'.

Since there are often no recurring triggers [for (inexpensive) PIR, as opposed to, say, microwave, acoustic, or seismic] to logically compare and try to sort out, per event, it is difficult to avoid some false alarms.

One way to get fairly precise control of false alarms, is to transmit the raw data to the operator, with all the perturbations of the detected signal, ---and powerful computer analysis or even just human observation, can sort things out.

One other BIG issue for the alarm sensor is power consumption when operating on a couple batteries.  PIR has excellent low power consumption, is exceedingly inexpensive to manufacture, low power discrimination logic can be integrated, and it has become the 'standard' of low cost detection, but isn't without faults.

Link Posted: 12/26/2014 10:59:12 PM EDT
[#50]
I picked up one of the Chamberlain models off Amazon.  

So far range isn't an issue at all, the base picks up the sensor with no problems.  However, the sensor isn't seeming to work that well.  I have it mounted on a 4x4 about 3 feet off the ground, and angled slightly towards the house to pick up more length of the driveway.  On the lowest 15'setting it could detect me walking on the far side of the driveway (single car width driveway).  However, it wasn't picking up cars.  I changed it to the 30' setting, and it now picks up cars sometimes.

Any suggestions on height, do you set it at more of a 45 degree angle to the driveway, or ?   Cars that pull in after a long drive aren't reliably setting it off.  Even pulling out of the warm garage in the morning and driving past isn't reliably setting it off.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top