Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 6:55:50 PM EDT
[#1]
When are we going to see the Mora Pro C & S and Robust on our shores? I like the looks of them.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 7:18:45 PM EDT
[#2]
I bought one of these and have managed to rust the knife within 2 days of receiving it. Operator error on my part but these things will rust right quick if you put them in a dishwasher....

I suspect most folks on this board are smarter than I about that issue though...The blade holds quite a good edge and I removed the rust and used vinegar to put a bit of a patina onto the blade. Nonetheless, this is my new favorite go to knife for meat and kitchen work.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MORA-OF-SWEDEN-11863-840MG-COMPANION-MG-CARBON-STEEL-BLADE-KNIFE-/231407625478?pt=Collectible_Knives
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 12:34:49 AM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I bought one of these and have managed to rust the knife within 2 days of receiving it. Operator error on my part but these things will rust right quick if you put them in a dishwasher....

I suspect most folks on this board are smarter than I about that issue though...The blade holds quite a good edge and I removed the rust and used vinegar to put a bit of a patina onto the blade. Nonetheless, this is my new favorite go to knife for meat and kitchen work.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MORA-OF-SWEDEN-11863-840MG-COMPANION-MG-CARBON-STEEL-BLADE-KNIFE-/231407625478?pt=Collectible_Knives
View Quote

When I get them new I wipe them down with alcohol and then put a few coats of cold blue on them.  I always keep a light coating of oil on them too.  After each use they get a good scrubbing and a thin coat of oil

Link Posted: 1/9/2015 11:55:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Maybe I missed it or maybe I just know too little about blades, but why do you guys buy the carbon steel models when it's pretty apparent that they're prone to rust? I bought a SS model for this reason. I want to leave it in my bag and not have to worry about it.
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 2:41:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Maybe I missed it or maybe I just know too little about blades, but why do you guys buy the carbon steel models when it's pretty apparent that they're prone to rust? I bought a SS model for this reason. I want to leave it in my bag and not have to worry about it.
View Quote

IMO takes a better edge, and just plain sharpens better/ easier.  It will also throw sparks from quartz or flint allowing more options for primate fire.  I will take a carbon steel blade over a SS one any day.  A good wipe down and bit of oil goes a long ways.  Been using 4 different carbon steel Mora blades for about two years now and they show some use, a bit of patina but no rust.
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 6:43:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

IMO takes a better edge, and just plain sharpens better/ easier.  It will also throw sparks from quartz or flint allowing more options for primate fire.  I will take a carbon steel blade over a SS one any day.  A good wipe down and bit of oil goes a long ways.  Been using 4 different carbon steel Mora blades for about two years now and they show some use, a bit of patina but no rust.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This. Better edge retention than stainless and are easier to sharpen.
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 7:17:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Valid point. If one doesn't want to bother with wiping and oiling the blade and is fine with having a little less keenness of edge and a little more difficulty in sharpening, there is the trade off of SS.

Pick your poison sort of thing.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 2:35:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Valid point. If one doesn't want to bother with wiping and oiling the blade and is fine with having a little less keenness of edge and a little more difficulty in sharpening, there is the trade off of SS.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I dunno.  Most of my Moras are Carbon, and while I've cold-blued or otherwise artificially patina'd a few of them, I don't take great pains to oil and pamper the knives.  No problems with rust here.  I think the rust thing is overblown.  Can they rust?  Sure.  Will they rot away into a pile of dust if you just look at them wrong?  No.  Don't leave 'em wet, and there shouldn't be a problem.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 4:40:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Gotcha, thanks for the replies, guys. Maybe I'll grab one carbon model and see how it goes. A little oil and common sense is not a big deal.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top