Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 12/10/2014 8:54:34 PM EDT
Hey all, just recently joined the Mora knife fan club. bought a couple and have been using them everyday here on the farm and out in the woods. People are always asking about good knives. They are affordable on Amazon and feel really good in the hand. I haven't found anything they wont do yet. They also come with kydex sheaths that will last a long time. Thought I would share my experience and encourage others to look them over. I was turned on to them from one of my techs that did his mission in Finland and Sweden.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 9:20:16 PM EDT
[#1]
got this one and some others.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/417kpXyfQhL._AA160_.jpg
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 9:45:32 PM EDT
[#2]
My Moras get more use then any other knife I own.

But look at the Opinel's and you are on your way....

Also google peasant knife.....

Welcome to the club
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 9:48:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Big fan!
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 10:02:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Mora knives are GTG.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 10:09:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Use them, give them as gifts. I got outside, I clip on my mora.

I REALLY appreciate the sheath and how it is designed to clip onto overall buttons. In the frozen north, this is GREAT as you can't get to your belt 90% of the time, and putting the space/time continuum slicing blade away would most likely result in stabbing yourself if you tried.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 10:23:35 PM EDT
[#6]
I agree the sheath is well thought out, and it comes with a fire steel also.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 11:28:34 PM EDT
[#7]
look at ragweed forge he has a great selection ragnar is a great guy to deal wiht and helping a small business is a good deal.

http://www.ragweedforge.com/

alex
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 1:02:49 AM EDT
[#8]
I've got two Moras, the Companion HD carbon steel and the FireSteel SS.  Both are inexpensive, but a good value.  Some don't like the scandi grind, but I'm a fan, having just added a Helle Dokka folder this past week.

I've got a Norwegian collection going!

Chris

Link Posted: 12/12/2014 11:40:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Meh.

You can't cut a nail in two or pry open a car door with them. Most of 'em don't have a guard so you can't get all stabby stabby on someone with them.

I really don't see the point.

Mostly just used by a bunch of old farts who don't really put a knife through its paces. Just slicing up food or whittling trap triggers or butchering game or making wooden tools to use around camp. Not much use if you ask me.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 1:03:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Meh.

You can't cut a nail in two or pry open a car door with them. Most of 'em don't have a guard so you can't get all stabby stabby on someone with them.

Mostly just used by a bunch of old farts who don't really put a knife through its paces. Just slicing up food or whittling trap triggers or butchering game or making wooden tools to use around camp. Not much use if you ask me.
View Quote

Thank you Debbie Downer.

You can go kick your dog now.

If I need to pry open a car door, or kill somebody, I'll get a crowbar, or a gun.

I don't have Moras in every nook and cranny, but I have a couple and for the money, they're not a bad knife, or a bad buy.

Chris
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 1:47:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Thank you Debbie Downer.

If I need to pry open a car door, or kill somebody, I'll get a crowbar, or a gun.

I don't have Moras in every nook and cranny, but I have a couple and for the money, they're not a bad knife, or a bad buy.

Chris
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Meh.

Thank you Debbie Downer.

Chris

I guess I figured there was enough sarcasm that I didn't need the smiley face.

Maybe I don't post in the SF enough to be known. The 510 is about the only knife I use except maybe in the kitchen.

I bought all my cub scouts 510s (except one dad demanded a 511 for his boy....probably a good call) when they were ready to earn their whittlin'  chip.

I saw the assortment of folding butter knives they showed up with and was glad I had the moras to pass out.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 1:47:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Meh.

View Quote

Link Posted: 12/12/2014 2:32:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I guess I figured there was enough sarcasm that I didn't need the smiley face.

Maybe I don't post in the SF enough to be known. The 510 is about the only knife I use except maybe in the kitchen.

I bought all my cub scouts 510s (except one dad demanded a 511 for his boy....probably a good call) when they were ready to earn their whittlin'  chip.

I saw the assortment of folding butter knives they showed up with and was glad I had the moras to pass out.
View Quote

Part of me thought that you were joking, but people need to realize that 'sarcasm' doesn't really transfer well over to the written word, so with this place being all over the map with herp and derp, we can't discount the fact that a person might really think that Mora knives are overrated and a waste of money.

I've read a lot of your posts and you're pretty solid, so I should have known that to argue against the benefits of a Mora would be sheer folly and not your cup of tea.

Part of what you said is true, however, as I'm not a hunter and I couldn't skin an animal to save the world, but I have whittled a little bit with my Moras and they did a pretty good job, lol!

I actually like the Dokka better, because aesthetically, it's more appealing and it's more easily carried, but that might just be the 'money spent' talking?

Chris
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 4:02:51 PM EDT
[#14]
The amusing thing about Mora buyers is that they usually have 20+ mediocre knives, sometimes 100+.  It's insanity.

Why not save that money and have 2-3 awesome knives instead?

If you're dirt poor and can only have 1 cheap knife, sure, a Mora is a great choice.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 4:16:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The amusing thing about Mora buyers is that they usually have 20+ mediocre knives, sometimes 100+.  It's insanity.

If you're dirt poor and can only have 1 cheap knife, sure, a Mora is a great choice.
View Quote

Well, I'm not dirt poor, but I'm also not blowing wads of cash on knives, either.

'Cheap' can have differing connotations, as in 'poor quality' and/or 'not much money' and they're not mutually exclusive, which is where Mora comes in.  

We call them a 'good value,' but nobody's calling them the best of the best.

Personally, I don't need so many knives that I need to go 'low budget' due to sheer numbers needed, but I don't like cheap quality knives.  Much like cigars, I'd rather just go without them, if I can't get the good stuff.

Chris

Link Posted: 12/12/2014 4:17:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

I can afford any knife I want. I have upper end puukkos like Enzo and Roselli. They do nothing that a knife is supposed to do, better than a 10 dollar 510. One thing I will readily say is the cheap mora sheaths suck.

In a military setting where your more likely to abuse a knife and less likely to need to make fuzz sticks, butcher an animal, carve dead fall triggers, I can see having the "sharpened crow bar" style of knife.

Cost, thickness, unsharpenable- without diamond laps- super steel, etc doesn't really make a knife awesome.

To each their own, but looking at what guys who know what they're doing, and use them a lot, puukkos fill the bill nicely. They just happen to be inexpensive, too.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 5:27:45 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View Quote
If I sold you a Mora and charged $150, would you feel better?

Mora knives that cost $10 are easily better than many $50-$100 dollar knives I have bought.

Are there better? Sure. But I don't cuss and swear if/when I lose my Mora.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 5:41:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Mora fan as well.  I like the classics or companions.  They make a great hunting, bushcrafting camp knife.  They make a piss poor crow bar but I have a Glock field knife for that...  Or an actual crow bar.  

Mora is my go to for my EDC/ GHB.  I never leave my house without one.  I never head into the woods without two.

That said I use the right tool for the job.  I always have a leatherman wave on my belt and SAK in my pocket.  If I want to chop I use an axe or hatchet.  I have used mora's for batoning during the construction of bow drill sets but that's about the only reason (in my AO) I would ever have or need to baton with a knife.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 6:12:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 6:19:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Mora knives are not remotely mediocre so I'm not sure what you are referring too. I have several knives you might consider awesome.  They don't make it into the woods with me. They just don't cut as well.  

I am looking at several much higher end Scandi grind knives because I want to try them out.  They do not automatically obsolete the simple Mora. I keep a Mora in the truck, car, garage, barn, basement,  and a few in the house.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 6:20:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
OK, you all have got me to the point where I'll try out a MORA.  I want a reasonably inexpensive knife (not cheap), with a very good scabbard; plastic, I think, and earth tone.  Know nothing about various grinds, but I can sharpen knives all right, and have the tools to do so; That said, something able to be touched-up in the field might be optimal for my uses  As I know nothing about them, and less about where to buy smart, I'd appreciate some specific suggestions, and links to vendors for such, please.  

View Quote

Ragweed forge.

I would l look at the companion or Robust version. The scabbards are not very good but they work okay for me.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 6:22:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Mora knives are not remotely mediocre so I'm not sure what you are referring too. I have several knives you might consider awesome.  They don't make it into the woods with me. They just don't cut as well.  

I am looking at several much higher end Scandi grind knives because I want to try them out.  They do not automatically obsolete the simple Mora. I keep a Mora in the truck, car, garage, barn, basement,  and a few in the house.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

People equate price to quality.  I remember buying a slew of them when they were on SG for $3.00 each.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 7:08:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 7:14:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I've seen you referring to the Scandi grind a couple of times.  What is that, and what advantages/disadvantages does it have?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
OK, you all have got me to the point where I'll try out a MORA.  I want a reasonably inexpensive knife (not cheap), with a very good scabbard; plastic, I think, and earth tone.  Know nothing about various grinds, but I can sharpen knives all right, and have the tools to do so; That said, something able to be touched-up in the field might be optimal for my uses  As I know nothing about them, and less about where to buy smart, I'd appreciate some specific suggestions, and links to vendors for such, please.  

Ragweed forge.

I would l look at the companion or Robust version. The scabbards are not very good but they work okay for me.

I've seen you referring to the Scandi grind a couple of times.  What is that, and what advantages/disadvantages does it have?

The Scandi grind is a continuous bevel going all the way to the edge instead of a larger, steeper secondary bevel. I usually put a very tiny secondary bevel on at a couple degrees steeper than the main bevel.

The Advantage of the Scandi grind is much lower cutting forces and much easier hand sharpening. Easier cutting is safer cutting.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 7:16:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 7:28:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

If the light grey handle of the "Robust" knife is of some soft elastomer, then it might be able to be dyed, using Rit dye.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ragweed forge.

If the light grey handle of the "Robust" knife is of some soft elastomer, then it might be able to be dyed, using Rit dye.

Maybe. You will be surprised at how much work the regular companion can do.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 7:29:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 7:58:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

And the disadvantages would be....? TANSTAAFL.  I should mention that I'm a fan of Juranitch and his system--for those blade shapes that lend themselves to his system.  I have some that are not, and manage to keep them sharp nevertheless.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ragweed forge.

The Scandi grind is a continuous bevel going all the way to the edge instead of a larger, steeper secondary bevel. I usually put a very tiny secondary bevel on at a couple degrees steeper than the main bevel.

The Advantage of the Scandi grind is much lower cutting forces and much easier hand sharpening. Easier cutting is safer cutting.

And the disadvantages would be....? TANSTAAFL.  I should mention that I'm a fan of Juranitch and his system--for those blade shapes that lend themselves to his system.  I have some that are not, and manage to keep them sharp nevertheless.

A basic stone works best for sharpening a scandi ground blade.  Lay the bevel flat and work it, then the other side.  I strop it afterwards for a shaving sharp blade.  The strop inevitably creates a micro bevel.  I don't like to stone one in though, because I like the ease and simple sharpening steps of standard scandi.

The disadvantage of a scandi is they can chip or roll easy depending on the blade, where a convex will be a bit tougher.  So long as your not using your knife up against metal or using it as a hatchet you should be fine.  That is why large chopping blades usually have an all convex edge.

ETA/ I should add it doesn't chip or roll easy, just easier then a quality steel with a convex edge.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 8:03:46 PM EDT
[#29]

There are a lot of different names of the same grinds.  Scandinavian (mostly referring to the puukko style blades) is very similar to a semi full, or saber grind.

There are lots of diagrams out there similar to above.

Link Posted: 12/12/2014 8:19:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Well, I'm not dirt poor, but I'm also not blowing wads of cash on knives, either.

'Cheap' can have differing connotations, as in 'poor quality' and/or 'not much money' and they're not mutually exclusive, which is where Mora comes in.  

Personally, I don't need so many knives that I need to go 'low budget' due to sheer numbers needed, but I don't like cheap quality knives.  Much like cigars, I'd rather just go without them, if I can't get the good stuff.

Chris

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Chris

Call them what you will.  I have relationships with several higher-end custom makers.  Some of my knives have mammoth tusk or mastodon tooth scales.  Some were comission pieces, some were bought straight from the roll.

But I own Moras, and use them as well.  In fact, my daughter's first fixed blade is a Mora bushcraft.  I carry 2 in my hunting pack, and one is in every vehicle.  When deer hunting, a custom rides my belt, but you better believe when its time to split the aitch bone the Mora gets the call.

Not bragging, but attempting to inform - I have a gunsafe dedicated to knives.  My Bailey Bradshaws sit next to my Moras in it.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 8:45:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Big fan!
View Quote

Boy is that an understatement!!

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 8:52:09 PM EDT
[#32]
For the comment about how Mora fans have tons of Mora's, I've got a bunch of them yes...however, thats only because they are decent knives and extremely high value!  Hell, I'm going to order another one in a few minutes (I tend to do that whenever these threads pop up and remind me.)!  I'm ONLY a fan of the 511.  The others just don't interest me at all.

But they are light weight, durable, come as a complete system (knife and sheath) even if they need a loop of paracord to work on non-scandinavian men's pants.

Excellent knives to gift or just hand out for task completion.That being said, I've got a LOT of different brands of knives including Busse's and kin which a Mora can't hold a candle to in the heavier duty task completion dept.  Should you be chopping, prying, digging, cutting through steel and concrete with only a knife?...Maybe not but I LOVE knowing I can do that if need be.  

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 9:13:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
http://survivalistsenclave.townsquareinteractive.com/files/2012/08/blade-gridn.jpg

There are a lot of different names of the same grinds.  Scandinavian (mostly referring to the puukko style blades) is very similar to a semi full, or saber grind.

There are lots of diagrams out there similar to above.

http://www.cartercrafts.com/images/Graphics/Grinds.jpg

https://ezesharp.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/knife_types.png

View Quote

The flat, hollow, and chisel grinds usually have pretty significant secondary bevels. These pictures show the scandi grind a lot steeper than reality.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 9:19:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Great knives. Planning on purchasing a Mora Classic 1 as a light neck knife

Link Posted: 12/12/2014 9:24:51 PM EDT
[#35]
View Quote

How do you get the paracord to stay on the sheath?  I'd like to learn how to do that weave.

Thanks

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 1:54:54 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

I recieved a grey handled Companion robust after ordering a Green HD Companion and have tried Rit dye, boiling, with alcohol etc they dont take a dye.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 2:39:52 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Do you often find yourself losing your firearms as well? What makes a knife any different? Should you buy 20 Mosin Nagants instead of 1 AR15? That's the logic you're following.

Quoted:
Mora knives are not remotely mediocre so I'm not sure what you are referring too.

They are absolutely mediocre, WHEN compared to many knives that admittedly cost a great deal more than the Mora.  That is not to say they are bad! They are just not "cutting edge", pardon the pun.

Are there also $100 knives that are NO better than a Mora? Absolutely.  Price does not guarantee quality, as in all things.

Are they an excellent "VALUE" for the money? YES! But that "value" starts to go down, IMO, when you spend the same money buying 20X of them that you would buying 2-3 higher end knives.

Quoted:
For the comment about how Mora fans have tons of Mora's, I've got a bunch of them yes...however, thats only because they are decent knives and extremely high value!  Hell, I'm going to order another one in a few minutes (I tend to do that whenever these threads pop up and remind me.)!  I'm ONLY a fan of the 511.  The others just don't interest me at all.

But, presumably, you are only using 1 knife at a time, unless you are trying you outfit a small army.

I will again compare it to keeping a Mosin Nagant in every room, in every car.  Super redundant, yes, but perhaps not the best strategy, when you could have 1 nice AR that you moved around with you.

To each their own, I just don't see the point in owning 20+ of the same tool.  If you have a $20 budget for a knife, sure, buy a Mora, as you won't be able to do much better.  If you're going to buy 20+ of them, you may be better suited with 2 or 3 high quality knives .. and yes, they DO make higher quality knives than Mora! Shocking, I know, that a $20 knife would not be the pinnacle flagship product of an industry.  
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 5:40:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Aside from using it for something a knife is not intended, please explain how these higher quality knives out perform a mora.

Having multiples is always a good thing. Keep one in each car, each bob, tackle box, hunting coat, field kitchen, range box, etc.

Feel free to spend more money than is necessary on any gear one wishes. Lord knows I've done it.

But, having used everything from Chinese flea market specials up to Marbles, Black Jack, Busse, RAT, Falkniven, Enzo, even a custom Elishewitz for close to 40 years, I've not found anything as much of a pleasure to use as the puukko style that is most inexpensively acquired in a mora.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 6:16:15 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Aside from using it for something a knife is not intended, please explain how these higher quality knives out perform a mora.

Having multiples is always a good thing. Keep one in each car, each bob, tackle box, hunting coat, field kitchen, range box, etc.

Feel free to spend more money than is necessary on any gear one wishes. Lord knows I've done it.

But, having used everything from Chinese flea market specials up to Marbles, Black Jack, Busse, RAT, Falkniven, Enzo, even a custom Elishewitz for close to 40 years, I've not found anything as much of a pleasure to use as the puukko style that is most inexpensively acquired in a mora.
View Quote

Two words, Edge retention.
My Spyderco Military in D2 will run circles around a Mora.
I like sharpening my knives and getting a shaving-sharp edge, I just don't like doing it every other day or so.

Please don't get me wrong, I love my Mora knives, but good steel doesn't compare with great steel.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 6:29:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I like sharpening my knives and getting a shaving-sharp edge, I just don't like doing it every other day or so.

Please don't get me wrong, I love my Mora knives, but good steel doesn't compare with great steel.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When used properly, the Mora keeps an edge as well as any knife in my collection. I've cut down small trees and could still shave with it.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 7:26:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is a subjective quality. Edge retention means more difficult sharpening. Since a knife will get dull eventually, ease of sharpening even at the expense of edge longevity (within reason) is actually the more desirable trait for someone who uses a knife a lot.

For the hunter that just needs to get through a couple deer and then can sit at home with his diamond sharpeners, the high chrome, vanadium, etc steels would be more desirable.

Link Posted: 12/13/2014 7:58:12 PM EDT
[#42]
Great knives.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 8:16:13 PM EDT
[#43]
Love mine had them for 8+ years now:
The one with the cord gutted lots of animals, and then acted as my stake knife to eat those animals.

The other one with a belt loop is a backpacking knife.

I made those kydex sheath to keep those sharp puppies secured and out of harms way.

Link Posted: 12/13/2014 8:46:21 PM EDT
[#44]
sheathes are generally junk, but I have several of the knives. I like the 511 most often, but the 510 now in some of the bright colors are great for fishing and having in the field.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 9:50:47 PM EDT
[#45]
No one is saying Mora is the best.  Just a good quality well priced bit of kit.  Mora's are not expensive so I own several, but price does not always equal quality.  Heck, you can get a Mora for less then an ARFCOM team membership...

I use my Mora's for real life activities, cleaning game, fleshing hides, playing bushcraft, and practicing wilderness survival.  For normal tasks around the homestead I usually reach for my SAK or Leatherman Wave.  I also use hatchets, saws and axes.  I tend to grab the correct tool for the job.

I probably have 50+ knives but they aren't all Mora.  I also like: Leatherman, Buck, Glock, Schrade, Cutco, and Victorinox.  One of these days I might get a high end puukko and maybe a Condor Bushlore.

Link Posted: 12/13/2014 10:33:04 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

That is a subjective quality. Edge retention means more difficult sharpening. Since a knife will get dull eventually, ease of sharpening even at the expense of edge longevity (within reason) is actually the more desirable trait for someone who uses a knife a lot.

For the hunter that just needs to get through a couple deer and then can sit at home with his diamond sharpeners, the high chrome, vanadium, etc steels would be more desirable.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is subjective, but rationalization wins out in the end.
I can spend 30 minutes sharpening my Spyderco and come out shaving sharp. That will last me one week of use at work. Once it is no longer shaving sharp, I can strop hit it with my strop and have it back to shaving in less than a minute or two.
or,
I can spend 20 minues sharpening my Mora and come out shaving sharp. That will last me 1-2 days of use at work. Since the steel is softer that my Spyderco, I need to hit it with the stones to get the edge in shape, then strop back to shaving sharp.

This isn't mere hypothesis, I've been struggling with this dilemma for the past few weeks. Do I use and abuse my sprint-run Spyderco at work, or an $11 Mora?

In the end, I spend less time sharpening with a better quality steel. The Spyderco simply requires less work than the Mora.

I'm not saying that Moras are junk, I'd rather have a Mora than just about any Gerber, SOG, Kershaw, Buck, etc, out there.  I just consider them semi-disposable, like Ikea's furniture.

YMMV

Link Posted: 12/13/2014 10:43:40 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

But, presumably, you are only using 1 knife at a time, unless you are trying you outfit a small army.

I will again compare it to keeping a Mosin Nagant in every room, in every car.  Super redundant, yes, but perhaps not the best strategy, when you could have 1 nice AR that you moved around with you.

To each their own, I just don't see the point in owning 20+ of the same tool.  If you have a $20 budget for a knife, sure, buy a Mora, as you won't be able to do much better.  If you're going to buy 20+ of them, you may be better suited with 2 or 3 high quality knives .. and yes, they DO make higher quality knives than Mora! Shocking, I know, that a $20 knife would not be the pinnacle flagship product of an industry.  
View Quote

I own around half-dozen Glock 19's.  Wife has one, son's is tucked away, one on my hip as I type, etc. They all have a specific purpose and their placement is part of that purpose.  By your logic, I should have one Glock and constantly be pulling out of one location to put it in another depending where I'm at and that would be a better strategy.  Or I suppose we could debate Glock's quality and maybe I should have invested my money in something better instead of buying so many of them?  Hell, I have an MSAR that's easily worth $1500 and that's a bedside rifle that has no other purpose than to look cool and work better in my upstairs hallway (size-wise) than an AR!! That's it!! Never had another purpose in mind when I bought it.  Well...ok...sure it'd work anywhere an AR would.  But the hallway was what it was bought for.  My money, my choice.  

As for the pinnacle of quality....you read my bit about my Busse/kin? See the differentiation I make there?  

You seem to be of the mindset that we are buying a bunch of Mora's because we break or lose them.  That's not my thinking in the least.  Like Glocks, I can get them cheap. Plus they work very well for a lot of cutting tasks, and I like to keep them in different locations so I don't have to either carry my one knife around with me or be constantly grabbing the one I do have wherever I would store it.  

The best statement you made...to each their own.  

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 11:00:03 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

With that bolded part right there you are kind of answering your own question.  The Mora will ONLY perform for the use it was intended...slicing/cutting.  

The Busse, ESEE, RAT, etc...but especially the Busse/kin will perform even when you throw tasks at it aside from cutting as I listed.  Head over to blade forum and take a look at some of the things these guys do with their Busse's.... I shit you not, last week I saw a pic of a guy that hammered his into the pavement!  Then he showed what the knife looked like afterward.  No wear.  The point is that no matter what you throw at the bigger/thicker blade it'll ask for more.  You throw anything other than slicing/cutting at a Mora, it'll break before it can beg to stop!

Understand I'm a fan of the 511 for the reasons I listed in my initial post.  And if you aren't a fan of bigger knives, that's cool.  But to say Mora's can't be out performed is sort of setting yourself up for defeat especially if your logic is that a knife just isn't intended for heavier duty tasks.  Kinda like me saying if 9mm can't do the job it just doesn't need to be done.  Just pisses on all the 5.56, .308 and .50BMG fans' heads.

-Emt1581

Link Posted: 12/13/2014 11:13:29 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I can spend 30 minutes sharpening my Spyderco and come out shaving sharp. That will last me one week of use at work. Once it is no longer shaving sharp, I can strop hit it with my strop and have it back to shaving in less than a minute or two.
or,
I can spend 20 minues sharpening my Mora and come out shaving sharp. That will last me 1-2 days of use at work. Since the steel is softer that my Spyderco, I need to hit it with the stones to get the edge in shape, then strop back to shaving sharp.

This isn't mere hypothesis, I've been struggling with this dilemma for the past few weeks. Do I use and abuse my sprint-run Spyderco at work, or an $11 Mora?

In the end, I spend less time sharpening with a better quality steel. The Spyderco simply requires less work than the Mora.

I'm not saying that Moras are junk, I'd rather have a Mora than just about any Gerber, SOG, Kershaw, Buck, etc, out there.  I just consider them semi-disposable, like Ikea's furniture.

YMMV

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

or,

YMMV

20 minutes to sharpen a Mora?  Unless you're cutting asphalt shingles or concrete highway dividers with the Mora I can't imagine what you're doing to the edge that would take 20 minutes to sharpen.  Heck, I can take an Ebay chisel, flatten and polish the back, grind and hone the bevel in under 20 minutes.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 12:07:28 AM EDT
[#50]
Takes me longer to get my sharpening tools out and put away than to sharpen my Mora.

I use Mora knives because they perform very well for what I need a knife to do, and are cheap. I keep multiple for redundancy. I could carry a gold plated desert eagle fir my edc, but my humble 1911 gets the job done fine, and holster wear on it doesn't bother me. The DE is better, sure. The 1911 gets it done though. But if you must have that gold DE, go for it.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top