Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 7:10:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Built this bitch for just under $500. Got half the parts off the EE. But most of the time I have a Glock 17 handy.                          Own page 3

Link Posted: 12/13/2014 8:24:31 AM EDT
[#2]
No loaded and uncased rifles allowed in this state. That said, I don't know how I feel about an AR15 sitting in a vehicle here with the massive temperature swings during the colder months. It's <40 degrees more than 4 months of the year and we often go for weeks without hitting above -10. I would think you would run into parts seizing from ice around the bolt due to condensation from the -30 to 40+ temperature swing when the car warms up.The windows fog up so I assume the AR is going to sweat and then freeze and/or rust in those conditions. I don't know that I would trust the rifle to function. Might have to test this out, though.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 8:48:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Depends on what im doing and what time of year.  Never had a truck gun for 2 leggers tho.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 12:41:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No loaded and uncased rifles allowed in this state. That said, I don't know how I feel about an AR15 sitting in a vehicle here with the massive temperature swings during the colder months. It's <40 degrees more than 4 months of the year and we often go for weeks without hitting above -10. I would think you would run into parts seizing from ice around the bolt due to condensation from the -30 to 40+ temperature swing when the car warms up.The windows fog up so I assume the AR is going to sweat and then freeze and/or rust in those conditions. I don't know that I would trust the rifle to function. Might have to test this out, though.
View Quote

Sounds like a good candidate for an AR pistol and SPB...
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 1:18:35 PM EDT
[#5]
mine is a maverick 88 with a top folder under the back seat of the truck
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 8:32:13 PM EDT
[#6]
ARs are relatively inexpensive now...

In Oklahoma with a hand gun carry permit you can have a magazine loaded long gun in a vehicle.

I'm working on this for the back of my Tahoe. I have the components, just need the bracket made.

Link Posted: 12/13/2014 8:33:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Double post...
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 11:52:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I was considering a pistol brace setup. A high value AR pistol would be great. Anyone done any testing on the reliability of cold weather truck guns in sub-zero temps? I'd probably just bring the pistol in every night anyway, but would like to know how they function after repeated warmups from -30 to +40 from the truck heater throughout the day.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 10:48:22 AM EDT
[#9]
It will be fine.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 11:51:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

In Oklahoma with a hand gun carry permit you can have a magazine loaded long gun in a vehicle.

I'm working on this for the back of my Tahoe. I have the components, just need the bracket made.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y25/coyotegray/artruck1_zps6253bee5.jpg
View Quote

Details on that mount?
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 1:59:27 PM EDT
[#11]
I CCW with 2 spare mags, XDM 9mm so I can pack close to almost 60 rounds in a pinch.

I do toss my Sig PM400 AR15 pistol in a case, mag in the well but not chambered with 3-30 rnd mags, (in speaking to a State LE I know he said 100% legal, but recommended not to chamber since a hard side hit could cause an ND the way the firing pin is on an AR, I will take his advice, he states they don't carry chambered on their AR's).

I am in the Central IL area, we don't have roving gangs, but we have had a few carjackings, and I do work in one of the shadier parts of town, 5AM you don't see a lot of LEO's at that time but have encountered some drunken Dindu's staggering down the street. Do I need it? Probably not, but then again I have car insurance and never plan to file a claim.

We can carry pistols loaded in IL if a CCW, so the AR pistol is my work around, plus the Sig is one of the sweetest shooting AR's I have shot, no rise, pust a 2 stage trigger on it and can do 3-4 shot pulls in no time flat, plus the 11 inch barrel is nice.

Do love the car rig that Bamma has!

Link Posted: 12/14/2014 11:27:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Details on that mount?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Details on that mount?

The lock is from Santa Cruz Lock..  http://santacruzgunlocks.com/products/sc-916-5-walltrunk-sc-5-rack/

The bracket is custom...
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 11:41:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

The lock is from Santa Cruz Lock..  http://santacruzgunlocks.com/products/sc-916-5-walltrunk-sc-5-rack/

The bracket is custom...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Details on that mount?

The bracket is custom...

You may of found a part time gig.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 3:41:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Never mind
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 6:52:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I am not really speaking of the Apocalypse or any doomsday scenario.  
I just remember that shit that stays in a vehicle for a long period of time tends to get banged around, so I'd think better optics and mounts would be important.
View Quote

When I've kept one in the car, it was always a basic, stock SKS or underfolding AK, with iron sights only - no mounts, optics, etc. The idea is that if I needed something that could reach a little farther than my pistol, I'd have it. I can hit a basic target out to 200 yards with the iron sights, and that should be good enough for almost any situation.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 8:05:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

When I've kept one in the car, it was always a basic, stock SKS or underfolding AK, with iron sights only - no mounts, optics, etc. The idea is that if I needed something that could reach a little farther than my pistol, I'd have it. I can hit a basic target out to 200 yards with the iron sights, and that should be good enough for almost any situation.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I am not really speaking of the Apocalypse or any doomsday scenario.  
I just remember that shit that stays in a vehicle for a long period of time tends to get banged around, so I'd think better optics and mounts would be important.

I think this line of reasoning is pretty solid. Not high speed/low drag, but effective.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 10:08:56 PM EDT
[#17]
10.5" goes in the pack on the bike........... if your in a truck or a car you got no issue carrying anything
Aimpoint r1 with a little ghettoflage from the big aimpoint closeout years ago...

Link Posted: 12/15/2014 10:56:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Same rifles in the vehicles as the model the family has trained on and has at home.

Albeit they are folders.

None have optics on them, but only mine currently has optics on it. Wife says "don't need no stinkin optics" LOL and she proves it.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 5:53:09 PM EDT
[#19]
I keep my 12 gauge behind my seat and my shells in my center council
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 8:00:54 PM EDT
[#20]
I have my sig p938 on me, a s&w .38 in the center console, and a rossi .38/.357 lever gun in the trunk
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 9:53:18 AM EDT
[#21]

Yep.

Almost that exact setup. I think my handguards are one generation later with a less pronounced seam along the sides.

USGI OD sling and 20rd aluminum mags.

I've got the A1 aperture sighted in at 100yards. Is easy to take shots out to 300+ yards with just a simple holdover.  M193 ball and 2 spare mags, its good enough for popping varmints or zombie apocalypse.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:25:08 AM EDT
[#22]
My current truck gun is a pencil barrel with a bushnell TRS.  I have thoroughly tested several of them and have no qualms about it.  

It is on a PWA lower with a RRA 2 stage trigger.  A true parts gun, thoroughly tested. I have less than $500 in it.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:28:05 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

The bracket is custom...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Details on that mount?

The bracket is custom...

A headliner color matching strip to cover that mounted with Velcro would be a good idea.  Sweet that it mounts where the oh-shit handles used to be.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:37:11 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 6:21:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I will add I do leave targets, glasses, and ear plugs in my truck.  Besides coming in handy for "Oh boy a place to shoot", they support a why you transport concerns.

Tj
View Quote

I call it my "screw it kit".  A Plano 4-pistol case with bout a hundred rounds each of the calibers I and my wife are most likely to be carrying CCW, a dozen B3 targets, staple gun/staples and ear/eye pro.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 8:17:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
$600 PD trade in Colt 6520 "truck/beater" gun.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y7/cms81586/colt3_zps6660fc72.jpg
View Quote

You have to brain someone with that carry handle?

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:52:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

We do allow unloaded and uncased long guns n vehicles, so if you wanted to carry one, it'd be a simple matter of putting a mag pouch or something similar on the buttstock. Yeah, you still have to load it, but it beats nothing.

I'm still not sure how the concealed weapon laws affect uncased/unloaded long arm transport. State v. Walls determined that a handgun was generally concealed if it was below the window line (not readily observable from outside the vehicle).

State v Walls

If I did carry a long gun, it would be in the legal manner described above, with a portion of it exposed above the window line.

Another odd thing is that during a traffic stop, a police officer stated he could have charged my GF with carrying a concealed weapon. There was an unloaded and cased AR in the back seat. His logic was it was not in plain view and within lunge reach (also noted in Walls).

I regularly open carry a pistol without a CHL (completely legal here). I put it on the dash when I step into my vehicle. If stopped and cited, I plan to fight it based on past case law. I'm not going to try with a rifle until I get a good locking system, like you see in police cruisers, because it must be visible above the window line.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 2:35:37 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

We do allow unloaded and uncased long guns n vehicles, so if you wanted to carry one, it'd be a simple matter of putting a mag pouch or something similar on the buttstock. Yeah, you still have to load it, but it beats nothing.

I'm still not sure how the concealed weapon laws affect uncased/unloaded long arm transport. State v. Walls determined that a handgun was generally concealed if it was below the window line (not readily observable from outside the vehicle).

State v Walls

If I did carry a long gun, it would be in the legal manner described above, with a portion of it exposed above the window line.

Another odd thing is that during a traffic stop, a police officer stated he could have charged my GF with carrying a concealed weapon. There was an unloaded and cased AR in the back seat. His logic was it was not in plain view and within lunge reach (also noted in Walls).

I regularly open carry a pistol without a CHL (completely legal here). I put it on the dash when I step into my vehicle. If stopped and cited, I plan to fight it based on past case law. I'm not going to try with a rifle until I get a good locking system, like you see in police cruisers, because it must be visible above the window line.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

State v Walls

Miami FBI shootout in 1986 would be a good example of why this could backfire on you. Maybe consider mounting a holster to the dash?
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 12:13:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Miami FBI shootout in 1986 would be a good example of why this could backfire on you. Maybe consider mounting a holster to the dash?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

State v Walls

Yes, that specific incident has crossed my mind. One of these days I will have to secure a dash-mounted holster to prevent it from becoming a missile in an accident.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 12:34:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Rifle haggled for very little ruble and geese. Made by the Proud Glorious Patriotic Socialist Peoples' of the Wonderful Amazingly Honest and Open Country of Yugoslavia...

Slav Squat and XD not included...

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 12:58:42 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

View Quote
Lone Star handguards... nice.

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 7:28:18 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

State v Walls

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

State v Walls

Interesting information on that case, thanks . Also, I'm glad your GF was not charged.
I did some googling and found this in regards to the new laws and transport of rifles:

"More recent legislation has relaxed the laws for transporting other types of firearms, but there is a difference between the laws for handguns and other types of firearms. Effective Nov. 19, 2011, long guns, such as rifles, shotguns and muzzleloaders, will no longer have to be in a case in order to place them in or on a vehicle, or to transport them unloaded in or on a vehicle. A loaded firearm, other than a handgun, can only be placed or possessed on the top or exterior of a vehicle which is stationary. Additionally, it is important to be aware that unlike handguns, it remains illegal to actually load any long guns (rifles, shotguns & muzzleloaders) while the firearm or person loading it is still in the vehicle. All long guns must be outside a motorized vehicle before a person may load the firearm. Once loaded, a long gun can be set down on a stationary vehicle, but must be unloaded before the firearm is placed inside or transported in or on the vehicle. Long guns must also be unloaded before they may be placed, possessed or transported in a motor boat with the motor running."

http://dnr.wi.gov/emergency/concealedCarry.html

So, it looks like you have the right idea on transporting a rifle. As you said, a rifle equipped with a mag pouch in a strong lockable rack that exposes at least part of it above the window line would be an optimal rifle setup. Hopefully you wouldn't have Dindus busting your windows in upon seeing the rifle. It might scare soccer moms if you leave your vehicle parked at Target . It would be better to keep a pistol brace setup concealed somewhere in the vehicle, but at least we can now transport uncased rifles with the proper procedure followed.

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:00:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Yes, that specific incident has crossed my mind. One of these days I will have to secure a dash-mounted holster to prevent it from becoming a missile in an accident.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

State v Walls

Look at G-Code, man. They have a pretty good system for something like you need.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 7:01:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

My truck gun is a XDS .45.   I dont really have a good place to conceal a shotgun or rifle
View Quote

I totally agree...my truck gun is a Glock 19 or 26...
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 8:15:14 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
$600 PD trade in Colt 6520 "truck/beater" gun.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y7/cms81586/colt3_zps6660fc72.jpg

Vehicle rack wear.  Had a bunch of green felt under the handguards too.  A little rough externally considering there was barely a scratch on the hammer/FCG.  
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 8:33:55 PM EDT
[#36]
Mine is a simple M-4 configured iron sight gun , that is dead reliable no matter what
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 8:41:44 PM EDT
[#37]
I've got the lower in the compartment with my scissor jack and the upper in the umbrella compartment, and a 6 mag pouch in the spare tire rim, all under the back cargo area's floor

Then in my GHB it's an SU-16C with red dot.  And on the side of the bag closest to me in the driver's seat it's a G26.  

It would definitely be someone's worst and last mistake to make me feel threatened while in or near my vehicle.  

-Emt1581

Link Posted: 12/28/2014 2:01:50 AM EDT
[#38]
I love these threads because it gets the imagination going. But really... I don't envision myself needing a fighting long gun in the vehicle anytime soon. I just keep a Kahr P9 with extra mags and CCW gear (holster, mag pouches). I am almost always carrying something else anyway, this functions as a backup really.

If I have to leave the vehicle and go on foot I am going to try to evade and avoid attention - I am not looking to get into a gunfight. I want to be low key. Carrying a long arm voids that. And if I am stuck somewhere where I have to leave the vehicle and set out on foot then something has gone very, very wrong - both with the world as it has always functioned as well as my planning. I am not leaving the vehicle unless it no longer works. And that is quite unlikely.
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 9:41:43 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 10:11:16 AM EDT
[#40]
My primary rifles are AR but my truck gun is an AK. It was because of price and storability. I have more than one AK and know how to use them very well. The truck gun for me is for three reasons.

1. I enjoy shooting and I travel a lot.

2. You never know when it might be needed.

3. I CCW all the time so the rifle doesn't need to be immediate access.

If I'm in my truck and a LA riot event happens where someone tries to pull me out of my vehicle. I mash the gas and get the fuck out of dodge. If blocked in I defend myself with my CCW and grab the rifle.

More than likely it will be the first action taken. A vehicle itself is a weapon. Now of course I try to avoid hazardous situations so I don't have to take any action.
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 10:49:35 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:...For example, John Q. Survivalist has chosen the AR platform but chose an AK or a beater M1carbine as his truck gun. As you state, why would you chose an unfamiliar firearm you may need the most vs. the platform you train and practice with on a regular basis?

I understand that "economy" is often cited as a reason but OTOH, how much is your life worth? I think a better option is to apply the truck gun money for a well designed vehicle safe or invest in a firearms insurance policy in case of theft.
View Quote

Agree that choosing a cheap gun for the sake of cheapness is a mistake, just as it would be for a bedroom gun or a ccw gun. But being different from your primary or preferred platform doesn't at all mean 'unfamiliar'. (Some of us are old farts who started competitive shooting during the Jimmy Carter years... )

I fall into the exact camp you cite - my primary carbines are CAR-15's, and my truck gun is an M1 carbine. The reason I'm ok with the M1 carbine is that I would also be completely ok with the M1 being my bedroom gun, LE patrol gun, etc, in addition to being my 'truck' gun. Much like my primary carry pistol is an M&P, but my bedroom pistol is a gock; I don't have any qualms at all about only having "this one" or "that one" in a pinch. Similar thoughts follow the M1 carbine - I trust it, I like it, I have complete confidence in it. The fact that it's smaller and lighter in weight than the CAR's is just a bonus. The fact that it's less expensive is just another bonus. If I didn't trust it (and trust my experience with it), it would absolutely not be my truck gun, bedroom gun, or any defensive-use gun.

Fwiw, I dont' think that it being cheaper has any effect on how likely it is to get stolen. A thief would grab a Hi-Point as quick as they would a Daniel Defense custom.
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 12:34:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Simple truck gun for me too.

SR15 upper with ALG MLOK rail.

Aimpoint is temporary until I buy another lmt fixed rear.

<a href="http://s748.photobucket.com/user/ragincajun1919/media/912EB514-2A88-4BEF-BDBB-DFC34853F9E5_zpsuhik0rlt.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i748.photobucket.com/albums/xx125/ragincajun1919/912EB514-2A88-4BEF-BDBB-DFC34853F9E5_zpsuhik0rlt.jpg</a>
View Quote

Question: When you mention the ALG Rail are you talking about the forearm? is there a rail on it? I can' t tell from the picture
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top